Menu

Cockroaches

Ewwww.

We have them.

Moved into our new house on the 14th. It's about 100 years old and this is Texas, so I guess some creepy crawlies are to be expected.

No roach sightings the first couple of nights. Then over the weekend (last weekend) saw 5-6 in different places-kitchen, bathrooms, bedroom walls, windowsills. Called pest control and they came out Tuesday morning. He sprayed inside and outside and told me to give it a week. I haven't seen anything until tonight, when one came scurrying out from under my microwave. I should add that these nasties are at least 6 inches long.

I'll call again tomorrow and have them come spray again.

So-my questions:

Tell me that this is normal. It is not a reflection on me, my housekeeping skills, or my worth as a person.

These things will not kill me in my sleep. They will not carry off my 4yo in the dead of night. Right? RIGHT?

What can I do in addition to the spraying? Do they carry icky diseases? Would you still come visit me after I just told you all this?

Jennifer

PS I'm afraid to get off the computer and go into the bathroom to get ready for bed. What if they are in there-waiting to get me??

:grouphug:

Where I grew up, every one had cockroaches. And they flew. It was the climate.

My mother has always kept her house immaculate, and we even had a live-in maid. It isn't your housekeeping, it isn't you personally. They live there because people live there.

The only other thing you can do is to keep all the food sealed and put away when not in use. Don't keep edible trash in your trashcan inside. They should move back outside soon.

Edited by jadedone80

:grouphug: I lived in a roach-infested apartment one summer. I *HATE* those things. :grouphug:

It has nothing to do with you. They've probably just been living there for a while. They don't carry diseases as far as I know, and they won't hurt anyone. They're just CREEPY DISGUSTING BUGS. They're nocturnal.

Get boric acid and put it in places like under the microwave, under/behind the fridge, around doors, etc. Caulk up any cracks that you can see - roaches can fit through ridiculously small cracks. Have the guy spray again. I never did roach traps, but those would probably be beneficial too. Don't leave out any water or food, because that attracts them.

I was afraid to go to the bathroom too. :grouphug: Especially at night.

It's not you. It's them.

If your house was empty for a while before you moved in, then they made themselves at home (that's what I'm told happens, anyway). They can find the tiniest crevice and come in. Mine come in UNDER the dishwasher. How, I don't know (I'm in DFW). They are disgusting.

Seal up all your food - clean up all food and put it away every. single. night. Sweep the floor, have a solidly closing trashcan lid. I have Lock & Lock food storage container for just about everything in my pantry. Cost a pretty penny, but it works.

Figure out where they are getting in (you'll sort it out eventually, trust me), and put down gel or spray in that area regularly. Seal up the crevices you find.

Cats help.

Good luck.

There's a difference between the cockroach and those Texas Horses called palmetto bugs. Sounds like you have PBs.

I agree with everyone about sealing up stuff--wipe your counters constantly and wash your floors, too--it's the bits of food that attract them.

Oh, and I totally second the toothbrush thing--not only do they like the tubes of toothpaste (keep it in a ziplock between uses, cause they like to nibble the stuff that gets caught outside of the twisty cap), but also they will actually eat the fibers of the toothbrush if they aren't rinsed extremely well. I think they also like (TMI alert) used feminine products, so take that kind of trash out every day.

I second the advice to take you garbage out every day, and don't leave any food unsealed. I lived in a roachy apartment in grad school, and after spraying and being meticulous about not leaving food or other garbage around, I didn't see any. I'm sure there were still some there, but out of sight is out of mind!

Sorry you moved into this situation. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Bleck:tongue_smilie:.

They are horrible, horrible creatures. In Japan, we kept the garbage outside the kitchen door. (I wanted to lure them to a feast outdoors vs. inside my home.) Most everyone used the glue trap houses there in hide away places; under the refrigerator,dishwasher and other dark warm places. They will also love your toaster...gag. I learned how to make toast in the oven.

I'll second taking stock in zip-lock or good sealing plastic containers for just about everything. Steel wool stuffed in and around vents or other places like pipes is another option.

You can defeat them with lots of effort.:grouphug:

In an old home, I'd make sure the bug guy sprayed under it if possible.

Oh, you are so lucky girl.

I know that they're 'around', in that I've heard about them, but so far *knocking on wood* I've never lived in a place that had them, or seen any at anyone else's.

Mice, yes. Roaches, no.

I think I'd run screaming into the night.

We get better results with Bengal spray. It is more expensive than Raid, doesn't smell as bad, works longer, and IMO works better than the exterminators.

:iagree: Bengal spray is the best. That's what we use and we hardly ever see them and if I do, they're typically already dead.

Growing up, we had a problem with roaches. I can handle any type of bug or spider, but not roaches. {{shudder}} I remember one time we had some flooding on our street that came about halfway up the yard. I looked out the window and the roaches had gone up the trunks of the pine trees. They were covering them. It was a horrible, horrible site. I just hate those things. {{shudder}}

Orkin has been the only people that I've known to be able to eliminate and keep roaches out of a place. They also don't spray, but use some sticky stuff in places where it won't harm children or pets (spraying and bombing are very bad for everyone in the home). Yes, roaches can carry disease. They also leave messes behind them like rodents do. It's not a reflection on you or your housekeeping...they are a pest that simply move in. Also, do not use the plug-in oil air fresheners; they like those, blech! We dealt with them at one apartment we had moved into earlier in our marriage. Also, don't have any cardboard boxes around (since you just moved).

This whole thread is making me go :eek:

Huge hugs to all those who have to deal with those nasties. I've seen them a few times when I've visited down south but we don't really have them up here, thank goodness.

It is normal to have problems with roaches in TX: both the smaller brown german cockroaches, and the big black or brown tree roaches that can fly.

Boric Acid gets rid of both kinds. It doesn't work immediately, but it works! You should be able to get some at your local Wal-mart. If not you can order it online from Amazon.

Susan in TX

put your tooth brushes in those plastic travel cases- the kind that goes around the whole toothbrush. They like the toothpaste...shudder.

:iagree: The first apartment dh and I lived in when we were first married was mostly bug-free. However I was TOTALLY icked out when I walked into the bathroom one day to find a big roach doing a jig on the bristles of my toothbrush!!!:ack2:

Often these big tree roaches will come in the house when we have had a lot of rain outside. That can't be the problem right now, but we have had more than usual in the past few weeks in our house in San Antonio. Now, it must be because of the drought that they are searching for water.

• 8 months later...

I used to live in NYC - roaches are a way of life there, but there are some things you can do to get them out of your space!

Boric Acid works like magic - along all borders in every room (pets and children cannot touch it though), under applicances on the floor (ie. refrigerator, dishwasher, etc.) and under the sinks in kitchen and bathroom. If you renew it every week, within a month, they should be gone - even in my apartment, with shared walls, ceilings and floors, I managed to get rid of them in the apartment without spraying poisons all over. If you're in a detached, single-family, it should help. I'd even go so far as boric acid around the foundation (basement inside, and outside the whole perimeter).

I'd also set sticky traps, the roach motels, so any hanging around and coming out will go in and not get back out. Maybe set a few feed baits too to get them to take poison back to their nests, where they'll share and die!

Here's the funny thing - cockroaches do not like filth, they actually like clean spaces.

If anyone in your family has a shellfish allergy, or guests do, you should know that cockroaches have the same protein in their exoskeleton, so they can present a problem for those allergic to shellfish.

They don't specifically present disease problems, they're not really known carriers of things that cause harm to humans....but still, ewww.

this will sound really gross, but the only way I've been able to really get rid of roaches is to use lizards. We're in San Antonio too, and the house next to us is a rental. They spray it every 2 weeks, and all it does it make the roaches move next door - i.e. my house. Using pesticides doesn't work for us due to allergies either.

I discovered this by accident - I had one of the little color-changing lizards get into my kitchen and decide he wanted to stay a while back. No idea how he got in, but within a month the roaches were GONE. Haven't seen a bug in months. We did end up with maybe 5-6 lizards total in the house {babies of the one I think} but I'd much rather have lizards than roaches. The lizards stay out of sight unless it's late night, and pretty much move back out when there isn't food for them anymore. Easy as can be, and all natural lol.

Be sure to get rid of all your cardboard boxes and don't save paper sacks. They like to lay eggs there.

Ditto on getting rid of mulch. Pull it away from your house and then sprinkle boric acid all around the perimeter.

The big ones are outside critters; take a look around and be sure there aren't tree branches overhanging the eaves.

It's the little nasty red roaches you have to be on the lookout for. When you see them, it's time to call the professionals.