Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

A child psychologist carefully explained to my daughter that she would not be expected to get every answer correct, and in fact, may not know the answer to many questions asked during the IQ test. My daughter agreeably assured her, "That's right because I'm just six years old, not omniscient."
:lol::lol:

• 1 month later...
Dd7 to me this morning (Saturday): "Mom, wake up! You said we could do Hands On Equations today!"

Me: "Ok, Let me get my coffee." :tongue_smilie:

Aly: "Yipee!"

(Pics here.)

Love it! We just started HoE and I'm very pleased with the way Dd has embraced it. I don't think she will be going into a STEM field, but I still want her to love math. I'm going to show her pictures of Aly playing with the pawns. She loved looking at both of your girls using blocks for algebra.

Love it! We just started HoE and I'm very pleased with the way Dd has embraced it. I don't think she will be going into a STEM field, but I still want her to love math. I'm going to show her pictures of Aly playing with the pawns. She loved looking at both of your girls using blocks for algebra.

:001_smile:

HoE is genius.

Today she figured out how to add the opposite of a number -- on her own. She hadn't used the green cubes in that way before. She also chose to use the 'symbols' this time on the white board. Her mental capacity has changed so much since the last time she did HoE (6 months ago).

New here and I can see that I belong after reading these. My 3yo was standing in the sun and I told him to put on a hat or go in the shade so he wouldn't get burned. He said, "ugh, mom, I'm being a photoautotroph." This week grandma told him, "stop picking your nose" and he replied, "no actually I was scratching my nasal septum."

• Like 1

New here and I can see that I belong after reading these. My 3yo was standing in the sun and I told him to put on a hat or go in the shade so he wouldn't get burned. He said, "ugh, mom, I'm being a photoautotroph." This week grandma told him, "stop picking your nose" and he replied, "no actually I was scratching my nasal septum."

Welcome. You belong. :)

I think this may fit. (I haven't shared it with anyone IRL, but I've been dying to tell someone.)

Several months ago, my newly-6-year-old daughter was listening to me read aloud The Reluctant Dragon when we arrived at a scene where the dragon is quoting lines from A Midsummer Night's Dream. (I don't have the book here or I'd give you the lines.) I was about 5 words into the scene when she shouted out in glee, "Oh, Mommy -- he's pretending to be Titania!" and fell off of her chair laughing ... while quoting the rest of the speech along with me.

This week, we came across this line in Edith Nesbitt's Five Children and It: "Lending ears was common in Roman times, as we learn from Shakespeare ..." Right away my daughter jumped up and down. "Hey! She's talking about Mark Antony's speech in Julius Caesar!"

I do not have enough books in our house for this kid ...

• Like 3

Me to dd9 this morning: "I have to take Aly to violin. Your math is downstairs on the table. The video is ready. Just hit play."

She then watches the MUS alg video for lesson 25 (difference of squares) and yells upstairs, "Can I do as many lessons as I want? This is fun!" :001_smile:

Overheard while waiting for DD7 at gymnastics last night

Coach-(DD's name) there are no radicals, exponents, or negative numbers in spaceball (a game they play on the trampoline at the end of class)

DD7-OK, I'll just stick to non-negative real integers then!

• Like 1

This one isn't advanced just cute...My son 7 was talking with my daughter 5 today.

ds:"It doesn't matter how annoying you are to me, I'll always love you."

dd: "Thank you, that's very reassuring."

Yesterday the same two were building a fort together. Their conversation went like this...

ds: "We can't have too many pillows in the fort or the structure will be disproportionate."

dd: "Yeah, I know, we need to have acquitted spacing for our Dora and Diego toys."

ds: "How many chairs do we need?"

dd: "I don't know maybe, Cinco, quinque or five? What do you think?"

ds: "Five is fine we don't need to impress anyone."

(My BIL has a habit of asking dh "Who are you trying to impress." I guess the kids have noticed.)

• Like 1

So my highly imaginative 4 year old had an idea. She went into the bathroom, took off her bottoms, and stuck toilet paper in her rear end and began to run around the house with the toilet paper flying behind her. When I saw her I sent her back to the bathroom thinking she was in the middle of taking care of business. Once I took her to the bathroom I questioned her if she just went potty. She looked at me with an innocent look saying that she didn't go potty - she just had a tail.:svengo::laugh: I couldn't help laughing at that point.

So my highly imaginative 4 year old had an idea. She went into the bathroom, took off her bottoms, and stuck toilet paper in her rear end and began to run around the house with the toilet paper flying behind her. When I saw her I sent her back to the bathroom thinking she was in the middle of taking care of business. Once I took her to the bathroom I questioned her if she just went potty. She looked at me with an innocent look saying that she didn't go potty - she just had a tail.:svengo::laugh: I couldn't help laughing at that point.

:D

My 7yo is taking careful measurements of area covered when the dog (new addition to our family) pees, because she's trying to work out just how much of the city has been coated with dog pee within six inches of ground level. She's going into it suspecting it will be 100%, and I suspect she may be right.

Edited by nmoira

:lol: Yes, you definitely belong.

I read this for the reminders of when my dc were little, as they're all too old now to say anything cute anymore.

Guest aishamama

Hi everyone, I've never posted here but I've been reading and have really enjoyed your posts.

My son is now 6 and is something else like most of yours. When he was 4, he was drinking some water before school with a straw and suddenly he said, "that's it!" I have been thinking about this all morning and I got it. (it was 7am). So, I said alrighty, mind sharing? Then he said, you see, one of the ways that we get water in our house is through a straw like system where there are tubes in the ground and something sucks up the water so that when we turn on our faucet water comes out. I said yes.. that's very close. Then he said, I just have to figure out what is sucking up the water. Mom, can I please be a little late for school so I can research this further. He had some time so I let him read a little.

So when I picked him up from school his teachers informed me that he (so excitedly) was trying to teach the class how we get water from our sinks. They said the kids were just kinda staring.

Anyway, I thought I should share something after you all put so much out there.

Me to dd9 this morning: "I have to take Aly to violin. Your math is downstairs on the table. The video is ready. Just hit play."

She then watches the MUS alg video for lesson 25 (difference of squares) and yells upstairs, "Can I do as many lessons as I want? This is fun!" :001_smile:

"Can I do as many pages as I want?" and "Can I just do one more? Please?" are common questions from my 5 year old. :D

These stories are all great!

A few weeks ago, we were trying to decide whether we'd barbecue for dinner or cook something in the house. My 4 year old said "Why don't we just vote the same way ants do?" :001_huh: He then went to the fridge, got hotdogs out, carried them outside and laid them by the barbecue. My 5 year old piped in with "If you don't want to barbecue, you have to go bring them back in", got hotdog buns and laid them outside. We still haven't figured out where they learned how ants vote. :lol:

"Can I do as many pages as I want?" and "Can I just do one more? Please?" are common questions from my 5 year old. :D

These stories are all great!

A few weeks ago, we were trying to decide whether we'd barbecue for dinner or cook something in the house. My 4 year old said "Why don't we just vote the same way ants do?" :001_huh: He then went to the fridge, got hotdogs out, carried them outside and laid them by the barbecue. My 5 year old piped in with "If you don't want to barbecue, you have to go bring them back in", got hotdog buns and laid them outside. We still haven't figured out where they learned how ants vote. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: It's been a while since I've laughed this hard :). Thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing you had grilled hotdogs for dinner.

Swim Teacher: Are you homeschooled?

DD: No

Swim Teacher: So which school?

DD: Parnassus Latin

Swim Teacher: Hmm, where's that?

DD: In my brain.

Some people haven't been very nice about the whole homeschool thing and it may have affected DD.

LOL-when DD7 decided that she wanted a REAL school last year, she picked "Mount Parnassus" as her school name :). I even have a "Mount Parnassus Academy" magnet on my minivan :).

• Like 1

My daughter, txting with a friend with learning problems.

Friend (English as first language, but with learning issues), sending a pic of her dinner: "This I eating"

My DD (English is her second language): "Ah, Well, I would be curious to try that.. Maybe.. It surely doesn't have the most appealing appearance - using as much alliteration as I could muster"

My daughter, txting with a friend with learning problems.

Friend (English as first language, but with learning issues), sending a pic of her dinner: "This I eating"

My DD (English is her second language): "Ah, Well, I would be curious to try that.. Maybe.. It surely doesn't have the most appealing appearance - using as much alliteration as I could muster"

:lol:

This thread is so great. :D Here's one from DD from a few weeks before her 3rd b-day:

DD: I will be 3! Like E (oldest cousin)!

Me: And then after that E will be 4. And then A (younger cousin) will be 2

DD: Like me!

Me: Yes, but when A is 2, you will be 3.

DD: Well, when I be 2, A bees 1!

Her language skills need some work ;), but I was surprised she could work the age difference out by herself.

• Like 1

Recently when DD6 wanted to watch TV and I said, "no," she began to rant, "I feel just like the American colonists and you are the British, and I am just oppressed and have no freedom at all!"

Had to laugh at that, though I guess that makes me King George. Still didn't get TV though.

• Like 1

Recently when DD6 wanted to watch TV and I said, "no," she began to rant, "I feel just like the American colonists and you are the British, and I am just oppressed and have no freedom at all!"

Had to laugh at that, though I guess that makes me King George. Still didn't get TV though.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My kids, who are far past this cute stage, are more likely to call me paranoid when it comes to basic safety, but there is nothing precocious about that. The two that use this word are teens.

Oh my gosh that sound exactly like my Dd :lol: She's actually been having a "freedom" issue with a friend at school, so she wrote herself a Declaration of Independence and hung it on the door of her room

Oh my gosh that sound exactly like my Dd :lol: She's actually been having a "freedom" issue with a friend at school, so she wrote herself a Declaration of Independence and hung it on the door of her room

I totally still have the Kids Declaration of Independence and Kids National Anthem I wrote with another gifted friend in 4th grade. In 1st grade, this friend and I spent a lot of time writing down rules for what age you had to be do watch different TV shows and do various things.

At the dinner table this evening, my 4 year old (almost 5) told me she wanted to skip count by 2s going down. She went 2, 0, -2, and so on to -20. Then she turned to me and said, "You know what? There are as many negative numbers as regular (positive) numbers. You could have negative billions. That's neat!" It sure is. :D

• 4 weeks later...
DD's clock drawing. Somehow, I don't think that's what a primary school assignment has in mind....

I'm impressed!

Tonight we had beans & rice for dinner, and my 5yo decided that the beans & rice are China, so he build a Great Wall around them (and over them and pretty much smothering them), and it defended the Chinese from the attacking Mongols, AKA sour cream. He wanted to have a huge Mongol army, but I was able to convince him that the Mongols are very powerful, and thus keep the portion size (relatively) reasonable.

My children (8, 8, 6, 2) swim in our backyard pond all summer - leaping off the diving board, running, jumping, etc. One of their favorite games is "Greek gods and goddesses," but we've had some surprising moments when other kids come over to play, LOL. New kid was here this week, and my 3 "big" (but smaller than he is) kids were giving him the usual grilling for personality assessment (i.e., which immortal he should be that wasn't already claimed) . . . so, do you like war? how do you feel about Mount Olympus? do you have any weapons? are you good at chariot-driving? do you have any children? can you swim in the ocean, like Proteus?

Poor kid tried his darnedest to answer their questions, and finally concluded that they were talking about the Avengers (whom they have actually never heard of), and declared that in that case, he would play the role of . . . CAPTAIN GOD!

Edited by Katie

lol that's hysterical. i always loved dissecting in school so i'm looking forward to doing it with her.

A cheap source is the butcher's, if she wants more. Our regular grocery store has little octopi and clams and other random creatures that can be dissected.... ("But mom, I want it for SCIENCE!" :lol:)

lol, we are getting her fish for christmas (a pretty fresh water tank) and I have a feeling she'll be trying to kill off the fish to dissect them. The whole reason we aren't getting her a fishing pole this year either is because I can picture coming upstairs with her trying to "fish" her fish. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A recent conversation with my 3.5yo DD

DD: (sitting on floor in front of huge world map): mummy, where "souni da wabia"? (Saudi Arabia)

Me: in the middle of the map

DD: oh that's right, my found it now (points directly to Saudi Arabia on the map)! Now, where Madagascar... oh, my know that one (points straight to it)...

Today my 4 year of wanted to practice writing letters. She never wants to do that. It was bedtime, but I gave in. She wrote A B C D E F G.....

"What is next, Mommy?"

"H"

" How do you make H?"

I explain...

'I can make X! I'll do x next! Now what is after X?"

....um, you just skipped most of th alphabet!!

I wrote H I J K L

"Mommy, you have to do L M M O P." (Sung in tune)

I write and say L M N O P

"No, you do L M M O P!!"

"I did, see L M N O P.'

Frustrated.... "Here, I do x!"

dd2 (age 2.5) was coloring the other day, when all of a sudden she ran up to me very upset. When I asked her what was wrong she said "Mama, I can't draw the "ur" of church!" I guided her hand as I did it, then she copied it almost exactly! :svengo:I wasn't quite expecting that.

Today my 4 year of wanted to practice writing letters. She never wants to do that. It was bedtime, but I gave in. She wrote A B C D E F G.....

"What is next, Mommy?"

"H"

" How do you make H?"

I explain...

'I can make X! I'll do x next! Now what is after X?"

....um, you just skipped most of th alphabet!!

I wrote H I J K L

"Mommy, you have to do L M M O P." (Sung in tune)

I write and say L M N O P

"No, you do L M M O P!!"

"I did, see L M N O P.'

Frustrated.... "Here, I do x!"

Lol. My dd still won't sing the alphabet in it's entirety but she is reading now lol at 4.5. She'll sing a, b, c, d, e, p, q, r, etc

Lol. My dd still won't sing the alphabet in it's entirety but she is reading now lol at 4.5. She'll sing a, b, c, d, e, p, q, r, etc

My Dom could identify and write every letter long before he could say or sing the alphabet in order.

For the last few days, Max has been talking about "presenting a paper". He watches The Big Bang Theory :D. Tonight, he asked if he could "present a paper" for school tomorrow. I told him that he has to write a paper before he can present one. "Dad! Mom said I get to write a paper for school tomorrow!" :lol:

Eta: We're doing school on a Sunday because the boys are dying to "show Dh how we do school". I'm nervous lol.

Edited by Mélie