Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

Love this thread! My kids were arguing today, too:

Dd6: You ate some of my candy!

Ds4: No, I didn't.

(repeat this cycle a few times)

Dd6: You may deny it, but I'm quite certain that you did. Look at it!

Dd4: I didn't do that. It was the cat!:D

Dd6 also accused her brother of "hypocrisy" the other day. I had to laugh, since she also tends to call the kettle black herself frequently...

This isn't smart. It's actually quite the opposite so this may be on the wrong board. I had a conversation with my 14 year old DD that went like this...

Me: Turn on the a/c.

DD: Okay, do you want it hot or cold?

Me: (speechless, shaking head)

DD: What?!?!?

Edited by Trresh

This isn't smart. It's actually quite the opposite so this may be on the wrong board. I had a conversation with my 14 year old DD that went like this...

:D

More like lack of exposure, that! How often are a/c and heat two different controls anymore? And, when you think about it, isn't heat a way to condition the air, too? How did "air conditioner" come to mean only "cooler?"

• Like 1

The thread title does say "Good thing they're homeschooled!" Think how much worse it could be?? :lol:

Every single kid has moments like that about SOMETHING. I've been around actual genius children and witnessed it firsthand! :D

DS (age 6.5) to DH, yesterday, after seeing a large yacht in the harbor with Grandma.

DS: "That's a big boat. Grandma said it is big enough to hold an elephant. [pause] But it isn't, really--an elephant couldn't fit in there. That was a nice use of hyperbole."

• Like 1

The thread title does say "Good thing they're homeschooled!" Think how much worse it could be?? :lol:

Every single kid has moments like that about SOMETHING. I've been around actual genius children and witnessed it firsthand! :D

Absolutely. My dad's favourite phrase when he does something dumb (not sure if he's a genius, although his db is & my dad's definitely at least hg) is "For someone so smart, that sure was stupid".

DS and DD1 watched Disney's Fantasia for the first time the other day. In the beginning, when the images are more abstract, there was one part where it looked like everything was on fire. DS was worried at first then he took a second look and said "Oh, it's just an optical illusion." :D

These are so funny.

Then there are the strange things that come out of my kids' mouths...Today I was trying to help the boys understand nouns that are 'ideas'. I told them that they were something you think about, but not do...for example 'happiness' or 'excitement'. When I asked them to come up with an example, my oldest said "love"....and my 2nd grader said "Eat the cat. Cuz I can think about that, Mom, but I can't do it."

:blink::lol: Yup! Glad they're homeschooled so I don't have any counselors calling me asking WHY my kid is thinking about eating a cat?!?!

• Like 4

These are so funny.

Then there are the strange things that come out of my kids' mouths...Today I was trying to help the boys understand nouns that are 'ideas'. I told them that they were something you think about, but not do...for example 'happiness' or 'excitement'. When I asked them to come up with an example, my oldest said "love"....and my 2nd grader said "Eat the cat. Cuz I can think about that, Mom, but I can't do it."

:D:D:D:001_wub:

These are so funny.

:blink::lol: Yup! Glad they're homeschooled so I don't have any counselors calling me asking WHY my kid is thinking about eating a cat?!?!

:lol::lol: The scary thing is that we understand that statement here as humour.

I don't know if this counts but it made me laugh...

I was writing a personal email to a girlfriend of mine and my 5 year old son, whose reading skills have skyrocketed lately, says "please mom let me read it" I said no and covered the screen. He then says "I'll give you a nickel from my piggy bank if you let me read it".

• Like 1

My mother watched my dd yesterday while I attended a work meeting so I sent her with her schoolwork. Last night as she is telling me about her day, she tells me she did her vocabulary workbook which consisted of analogies and circling the correct pair to match the sample. Then she tells me, "I knew the answer to [one] was 'as voracious is to hungry' but Grammy thought it was 'as music is to loud' so I just circled that one for her because I didn't want her to feel bad. Can I change it tomorrow?"

I thought, "Okay...she is people pleasing and a perfectionist. Ugh!"

• Like 1

Today we were driving to the playground to meet some friends, and we noticed the beautiful daffodils all over the place. I asked the (lower elementary) kids, "So do you guys know what spring means?"

"Yes! It's time to sing Vivaldi! . . . 'It's spring, time to sing Vivaldi!'" (from the Beethoven's Wig CD series)

:iagree:

I have great memories of listening to the Beethoven's Wig CDs with my children.

The girls were waiting to go into dance team practice last night, and some of the older ones were playing "My school is worse than your school"

G1-That was a HARD Friday! We have three tests EVERY Friday. 3rd grade is hard work!

G2-That's nothing-we have five-Math, spelling, reading, vocabulary and language each week!

DD-I'm homeschooled. I don't take tests

G1,2-LUCKY!!! You get off easy

DD-Yes, I am! It leaves more time for Greek and Algebra!!!

(I'm trying really hard not to :lol: at this point....)

• Like 2

I took both kids to a special movie showing tonight about Timbuctu. On the way out, DS noticed that they were about to present "Les fourberies de Scapin", a play by Molière (French counterpart to Shakespeare, but only wrote comedy). At that point DS starts, really loudly. YOU've got to come and see this play. It's the best thing ever. Molière is the greatest writer ever on this planet. It's the most funny thing you can imagine. etc etc etc. while we're surrounded by a crowd trying to leave the theatre.

:D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As heard a few moments ago at our school table....

Aly, 7: "I wish my math book said twelve on the cover so I could be done with math FOREVER!"

Abi, 8: "I wish I was born earlier so I could be in precalculus by now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As heard last week while I tucked the girls in one night....

Me: "Girls, since you've been working so hard over the last few months I'm going to let you pick what we do for school tomorrow."

Abi: "Precalculus!"

• Like 2

We can tell our 2 year old is surrounded by music-playing, homeschooled siblings.

Things we hear her say EVERY DAY:

"Ma - Ma" (this means "math") She says it while waving someone's math book around, then steals a pencil and, if no one gets to her first, she proceeds to open the book and make her mark on as many pages as possible. She's been stealing Singapore Math books for at least a year. I don't know why, but it's always *these* particular books she takes from the shelf. She knows which ones she wants and takes them, consistently.

"Bow" (She is both desperate to bow across her siblings' instruments' strings, but she also loves to bow afterward... so she says both of these words.) The funniest bit is that she will absolutely THROW herself on the floor when it is her brother's time for practicing with me and scream and cry "Me! Pay! Me Pay!" (which means "me play") It drives her to tears that it is not *her* cello. If he doesn't get to his cello chair quickly enough, she will get there first and refuse to get off. I often must remove her myself... and of course there are tears.

She is known to sneak into the den and pull out the cello and the bow. When it is too quiet, I know where to look. She is usually there -- bowing away on that cello with a look of glee on her face.

This is probably my favorite:

"We know this."

Said many a day, and many times a day, while riding in the car or at home and listening to the classical music station. It's usually followed by, "Vivaldi." or "It's Baroque, either This Artist or That Artist."

Ah...the happy life of the mother of two budding, classical musicians. :)

• Like 1

Ah...the happy life of the mother of two budding, classical musicians. :)

DS brought a bunch of CDs to me today so I could read the titles for him and he could decide what to listen to. It was a toss up between Beethoven piano sonatas and one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. He chose Bach. :D

Edited by Mrs. A

As heard a few moments ago at our school table....

Aly, 7: "I wish my math book said twelve on the cover so I could be done with math FOREVER!"

Abi, 8: "I wish I was born earlier so I could be in precalculus by now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As heard last week while I tucked the girls in one night....

Me: "Girls, since you've been working so hard over the last few months I'm going to let you pick what we do for school tomorrow."

Abi: "Precalculus!"

LOL, they are so precious! Thanks for sharing.

DS brought a bunch of CDs to me today so I could read the titles for him and he could decide what to listen to. It was a toss up between Beethoven piano sonatas and one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. He chose Bach. :D

Ah, good taste. Don't you love it? :)

My dc are violinists, and I tend to be a strings snob. There are few piano pieces I appreciate, and Beethoven and Mozart wrote most of them. It's a family joke that I often change the radio station when a piano sonata I don't like is on. I always say, "Too much piano." At dd's friend's graduation, a graduating senior played a piano solo. Dd sat a row or two over and I happened to catch her eye during the solo. I mouthed the words, "Too much piano." It cracked dd up!

I'm glad he went w/ Bach. Dd loves all the Brandenburg Concertos (I love 5!) But it *is* Beethoven month (Dec. 16 is the anniversary of his birth), so perhaps your ds can squeeze him in too. :)

We can tell our 2 year old is surrounded by music-playing, homeschooled siblings.

Things we hear her say EVERY DAY:

"Ma - Ma" (this means "math") She says it while waving someone's math book around, then steals a pencil and, if no one gets to her first, she proceeds to open the book and make her mark on as many pages as possible. She's been stealing Singapore Math books for at least a year. I don't know why, but it's always *these* particular books she takes from the shelf. She knows which ones she wants and takes them, consistently.

"Bow" (She is both desperate to bow across her siblings' instruments' strings, but she also loves to bow afterward... so she says both of these words.) The funniest bit is that she will absolutely THROW herself on the floor when it is her brother's time for practicing with me and scream and cry "Me! Pay! Me Pay!" (which means "me play") It drives her to tears that it is not *her* cello. If he doesn't get to his cello chair quickly enough, she will get there first and refuse to get off. I often must remove her myself... and of course there are tears.

She is known to sneak into the den and pull out the cello and the bow. When it is too quiet, I know where to look. She is usually there -- bowing away on that cello with a look of glee on her face.

It sounds like you'll need to start violin at 3 (not sure if they have cello lessons for 3 year olds in Suziuki or not)! That kind of passion is a clear signal for early lessons :).

My ds (age 6 at the time) was in speech therapy and the therapist asked him to sing a song. He sang O Mio Babbino Caro.

Not quite what she expected.

Ruth in NZ

I'm impressed that he could understand the words to sing them.

It sounds like you'll need to start violin at 3 (not sure if they have cello lessons for 3 year olds in Suziuki or not)! That kind of passion is a clear signal for early lessons :).

My older dd had a similar passion and began viola lessons at 3. Music is still her big love.

I do believe this littler dd is following in her older sister's footsteps.

The kids just joined a group of friends for a concert at a nursing home and this little dd insisted on standing with her siblings with her little cardboard violin and wooden bow. (I wouldn't have been able to keep her from doing it. She would have had a monster temper tantrum.) She sat quietly *the entire hour* in a chair next to her big sister and stood with a sibling whenever it was his/her turn... and she even bowed with them. (She bows by putting her head down on the floor near her toes.) :lol: The elderly ladies and gentlemen were absolutely tickled to see such a tiny one up there.

My older dd had a similar passion and began viola lessons at 3. Music is still her big love.

The kids just joined a group of friends for a concert at a nursing home and this little dd insisted on standing with her siblings with her little cardboard violin and wooden bow. (I wouldn't have been able to keep her from doing it. She would have had a monster temper tantrum.) She sat quietly *the entire hour* in a chair next to her big sister and stood with a sibling whenever it was his/her turn... and she even bowed with them. (She bows by putting her head down on the floor near her toes.) :lol: The elderly ladies and gentlemen were absolutely tickled to see such a tiny one up there.

:lol::lol:

Amazing, isn't it? Reminds me of Emily Bear, only she was that way with piano (playing a scale at 2 with no lessons) and she's still playing & composing last time I checked.

Amazing, isn't it? Reminds me of Emily Bear, only she was that way with piano (playing a scale at 2 with no lessons) and she's still playing & composing last time I checked.

Ha ha! Slow down there! She has a cardboard violin. No scales. No composing. Not amazing. Just interested and eager. And it *is* cute.

Ha ha! Slow down there! She has a cardboard violin. No scales. No composing. Not amazing. Just interested and eager. And it *is* cute.

I know you can't compare, but it still reminded me of that. I just hope that Emily Bear still loves playing & composing when she grows up. And I don't think Emily composed at age 2.

Besides, not all fabulously musical children are also gifted composers. I meant the determination to play at age 2 rather than talent.

• 3 weeks later...

:iagree: They listen,but have to learn on their own sometimes.

Our library has been sending their Book Mobile to loan us books for several years now.

Only in the last 3 years have I been concerned about the content of the books our 2 oldest check out. I have sent books back before, and it is chaos with pets and kids so I can't always see what everyone gets.

Finally, our oldest daughter got it! She said last week : "I just can't find any good books Mom! I have read all of the good ones and most of them are garbage!"

We have a pretty extensive home library and some duplicates, but Teen and Pre-teen girls do have alot of garbage to sift through in book stores and libraries these days.

One man is writing a series about a young girl now: pretty sick.

:iagree: They listen,but have to learn on their own sometimes.

Our library has been sending their Book Mobile to loan us books for several years now.

Only in the last 3 years have I been concerned about the content of the books our 2 oldest check out. I have sent books back before, and it is chaos with pets and kids so I can't always see what everyone gets.

Finally, our oldest daughter got it! She said last week : "I just can't find any good books Mom! I have read all of the good ones and most of them are garbage!"

We have a pretty extensive home library and some duplicates, but Teen and Pre-teen girls do have alot of garbage to sift through in book stores and libraries these days.

One man is writing a series about a young girl now: pretty sick.

It is hard. Do your kids only read books of a certain reading level, or will the read easier things if they like the story? My dd's are very advanced readers, but often read books for their age group (or even younger) if they like the story. What's the pretty sick series about a young girl you mentioned?

Are all these words allowed to be in the same sentence? :lol: Half kid, half sophisticate.

DD7 just came in from playing in the snow in the dark (it's the first real snow we've had, so I indulged her).

Her first words as she came in were, "We tried to build a snowman, but it was too unstable, because of the weight of the second part, and the head was too squishy."

Took the kids out to eat tonight. My dd7 started talking to a middle-aged woman in the booth behind us. I got up to throw something away, and when I turned around, my dd had slid into the booth opposite the woman, and was chatting away about Hermes, telling her how he walked right after he was born, etc. The woman looked at me in astonishment, and said, "Your daughter knows Greek mythology?" I just smiled, and apologized for my extremely shy (not) children!:D