Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

I have one. Thank you SWB for SOTW and all that it inspires at our home.

My son's PS teacher told the class that asking questions is a scholarly thing to do. My son raised his hand and said: "I wanted to remind you that they killed Socrates for asking too many questions". He is in the 2nd grade.

we afterschool

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3

Last night my 3yo wanted to know what time it was and I told him to look at the clock. He came back and said he couldn't tell and the clock was weird so I said just look at the numbers, you know how to tell time. He came back again and told me he tried really hard but IA (eye-uh) doesn't spell a number and emphasized again that the clock was really weird. I went to look and saw it was roman numerals written with the bottom of each toward the center of the clock so the VI was upside down. I guess we need to do roman numerals soon.

I have one. Thank you SWB for SOTW and all that it inspires at our home.

My son's PS teacher told the class that asking questions is a scholarly thing to do. My son raised his hand and said: "I wanted to remind you that they killed Socrates for asking too many questions". He is in the 2nd grade.

we afterschool

:D He might enjoy the Horrible Histories

(with Socrates.) There is also this sketch of him refusing to be rescued, and asking "why" a lot.
  • Like 1

From a discussion at my house this afternoon after ELE prep class-the kids were talking about DD's pet snake, and it had devolved into discussions about various kinds of deadly snakes

Evan-age 8- "I have a deadly snake at home. It can suffocate small children!"

various responses

Evan-Yep, it's a rubber snake! It says right on it that it's a suffocation hazard for children below age 3!

The moms were :lol:

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my Wednesday afternoon group?? Most of the same kids are doing both NME and ELE prep, and they're just the brightest, most fun bunch :).

I've just sat here and read this entire thread. I'm wondering where you are getting kids so interested in school. I think it is cool. Definitely not what I'm used to here.

Same here, but mine did use to have really funny likes like I read here, just without the love of school.

we afterschool

:lol::lol: :lol: My youngest now wants to go to ps, but he asks far to many questions for any gr 7 teacher to handle even now. He's a 2E child, so I'm encouraging him to meet certain goals & try for honours math & science next year (they can go part time here) & then band when he's a freshman.

Looking at a book tonight I asked dd3 if we should read the stone age page today, she looked at me and said "its not called the stone age, it's the neolithic era" lol but sigh, she is only 3!

BTW, she was right and I have never read that book before, we only bought it 2 days ago

Edited by LEK

Looking at a book tonight I asked dd3 if we should read the stone age page today, she looked at me and said "its not called the stone age, it's the neolithic era" lol but sigh, she is only 3!

BTW, she was right and I have never read that book before, we only bought it 2 days ago

She might enjoy the

about all the different periods. My ds3 and ds5 LOVE the songs and have the Kings and Queens of England song memorized.

• 3 weeks later...

DS9 has a speech therapist who works with him once a week. On Tuesday, she handed him a large hand mirror so he could watch what his mouth is doing. He responded, "The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection."

She looked at me with a quizzical look.

I had to shrug my shoulders and confess that he learned it on "Beakman's World." :lol:

• Like 1

DD at a ball toss game at a fall festival "I need to adjust my trajectory and force!"

:lol::lol::lol: It's not cute, since my dd is now 17 and past saying those cute little kid things, but she was watching football with dh, and instead of yelling at the players for not throwing well, she was telling them to fix their trajectories. My hope is that if she watches football in college she watches with fellow math geeks.

Last week my daughters were watching the March of the Penguins. There's a moment when the father penguins all turn their heads at the same moment just before the mothers show up, and my younger daughter (who is about to turn two) yelled out, "Yay! The mommies are coming! They will give all the food to the babies!"

It is one of their favorite movies, along with Angelina Ballerina and Singin' in the Rain.

This isn't super funny, but I've gotta share...and y'all will understand!

We are not studying US history/politics at all this year. Understandably, my DS7 had some questions about the election, so I gave him an upper-elementary nonfiction book about US Presidential Elections last week. I told him that if he was able to read the whole thing by election day and then be able to explain the electoral college system to me that I would let him stay up as late as he wants on Election Day to watch the results. Over breakfast this morning, he gave me an oral report about the electoral college that would probably rival any high schooler's understanding!

So, guess who may be pulling an all-nighter tonight with her second grader?!?

• Like 1

I asked the 6 year old a question today.

He chose to roll on the couch instead of responding.

I got visibly frustrated.

He replied, "Mom, I'd rather learn hard things than talk about things I already know."

(EUREKA!)

So we regrouped and he happily learned a "hard thing."

I've been frustrated with homeschooling lately, but that gave me the encouragement I needed today. :)

• Like 1

Our 2 yod was sick, so I was flipping through the tv channels looking for something for her to watch. There was a show on Animal Planet about chimpanzees, so I asked her if she wanted to watch the show about monkeys. She looked at me and said, "Mommy, they aren't monkeys; they don't have tails." I had no clue that she knew the distinction b/t monkeys and apes.

Our 2 yod was sick, so I was flipping through the tv channels looking for something for her to watch. There was a show on Animal Planet about chimpanzees, so I asked her if she wanted to watch the show about monkeys. She looked at me and said, "Mommy, they aren't monkeys; they don't have tails." I had no clue that she knew the distinction b/t monkeys and apes.

Do you watch Veggie Tales? I love the Monkey silly song. :D

So, what does she do with Curious George, the only tailless monkey;)? I wonder if the author had no idea that monkeys have tails whereas apes don't.

Do you watch Veggie Tales? I love the Monkey silly song. :D

So, what does she do with Curious George, the only tailless monkey;)? I wonder if the author had no idea that monkeys have tails whereas apes don't.

We haven't watched anything on TV that discusses monkeys or apes, so I am clueless as to where she learned it. Perhaps it was from her new best friend, an invisible Tinkerbell, who has been visiting lately that apparently I almost stepped on today while bringing in the groceries. Dd was crushed that I wasn't more careful! ;)

You know, I have NEVER noticed that about Curious George!! Obviously she doesn't get her observational skills from me. :tongue_smilie: :lol:

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Not really super smart, just super sweet.

Dd 5: "Mommy, I would really like to have a girls Easy Bake Oven for my birthday so that I can be more of a help to you in the kitchen. As I know I'm not allowed to use the big oven."

So sweet. :001_wub:

You know, I have NEVER noticed that about Curious George!! Obviously she doesn't get her observational skills from me. :tongue_smilie: :lol:

One of my dc pointed it out to me a number of years ago. Once upon a time, they came up with these humourous, precocious remarks. Now they're at the lovely ages of 12-17:glare::001_huh:;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My six year-old saw "2-3=?'' this morning and looked thoughtful. I said ''Well, it does actually work but we haven't covered that concept yet,'' and she said ''It's okay, Mom. I know it's negative 1''.

Lol my daughter 5 in 16 days, did something like that recently too. She goes "it's less than zero, what is it called when it's like that?"

My ds5 read this on his cereal box today: "No artificial colors or flavors." He frowned for a moment, then said, "That's okay, I like it anyway!"

:rofl:

I told my daughter (6) that the computer was working fine last night and I couldn't figure out what the problem was in the morning, and she said, "Mommy the computer must be nocturnal."

:rofl:

My six year-old saw "2-3=?'' this morning and looked thoughtful. I said ''Well, it does actually work but we haven't covered that concept yet,'' and she said ''It's okay, Mom. I know it's negative 1''.

We had the same experience this week! My six year old (the 5 y.o. in the OP of this thread) was learning vertical subtraction (borrowing/renaming) and tried to put a -5 in the ones column. He was laughing. I think he suspected what I was going to say next. I told him he would be right *if* the problem was *only* 0-5, but b/c the whole number from which we were subtracting was *more* than 0, and b/c we cannot put a negative sign into a single digit of a larger number, we had to do it differently. He told me I spoiled all his fun! :laugh:

• Like 2

Good point. I will absolutely have them look this one up!

(For the record, ds plays from the edition edited by August Wenzinger which notes, in the preface, that there is no autograph as source for the suites for cello solo and that all editions are based on a "somewhat careless copy by Anna Magndalena Bach." Dd plays from an edition arranged for viola and edited by Watson Forbes.)

Anyway, I'm very glad you mentioned this. I, myself, am completely ignorant about music, but I will read the preface from ds's copy to the kids, have them look up urtext, and we'll discuss it.

Thank you!

Hey, they could always learn to decipher the original manuscripts ("copies"). I don't think she was all that careless, I think they didn't need every jot back then.

http://www.wimmercello.com/bachs1ms.html

Your kids should know about www.imslp.com, it is totally invaluable to music geeks the world over. Yay, music geeks!

So my 6 year old is really sick- has a temp, just took advil for headache that was making her cry, and hasn't move from the couch in 2 hours....

I go to check on her and ask, "Is there anything I can get you?" (I am thinking ice water, dry toast, etc.)

In a barely audible voice, she replies, "Can you read me Physics?"

• Like 10

Tonight before dinner my dd8 was pestering me for food. She said, "Can we please have a small bowl of olives, you know, as an amuse-bouche?" Seriously, where does she get this stuff? We are definitely not an "amuse-bouche" sort of family! Btw, the answer was still "no." :D

My mom always put my very own can of black olives in my stocking at Christmas. I loved that, and totally rocked the olives-on-my-fingers thing. I've continued the tradition with my boys with the only rule being "don't make yourself sick!".

• Like 1

My 9yo was helping me pin material for sewing. I told her she had to line the sides up but did not have to be "scientifically exact."

DD- "Science isn't exact. You can't be."

Me- "OK. It doesn't have to be exactly equal."

DD- "If things were exactly equal, we wouldn't be here Mum. You know, like gravity, and the elements. If they were exactly equal, they would all be evenly spread, so we couldn't exist."

Me- "Just pin it close to the other side."

• Like 11

I caught my DD teaching negative numbers to a 2nd grader who was supposed to "correct" a set of incorrect problems (presumably by turning 2-3=1 into 3-2=1 or 1+2=3). DD instead drew a number line, explained negative numbers, and off they went. Luckily, the mom thought it was a dumb assignment too, and had no trouble with DD teaching her daughter skills that weren't normally covered at that grade level. I do wonder what the 2nd grade teacher thought when she got the paper the next day, though!

• Like 6

Ok today while we were still finishing that sewing...

DD(9)- "Mum what is Depression?"

me- "With reference to weather or people?"

DD- "People."

me- " Well it means being very sad without due cause, and not being about to get over it."

DD- "So does that mean that in the Great Depression lots and lots of people were really sad?"

me- "Ha, no, that's to do with finances, like we were talking about banks foreclosing on people, the whole country was in money trouble."

DD- "That's funny. I know depression also means a dip in the ground. So that's ANOTHER one.

That was this morn, then she just ran in now

"Mum, mum, I just found and caught two beautiful green bugs and guess what they are doing?"

me- "Mating?" (do I know this child?)

DD- "Yes, and they are doing it beautifully! Look! I'm sooo lucky!"

(Want to see? They are mating beautifully, running around end-to-end here on my lap in a small plastic box until they get re-released)

• Like 5