Menu

do your children have dental sealants?

I was just wondering if dental sealants are a common recommendation these days. Our dentist told me today that my daughter's teeth are very grooved and she will probably need sealants. She is not the type to recommend unnecessary treatments, so I was wondering what it means that my daughter has a lot of grooves in her teeth. She has so many food allergies that I often worry about her nutrition, but she is average height, growing and healthy looking most of the time. Is this a common thing? Could the grooves indicate any sort of nutritional problem?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'm just worrying for worrying's sake, but it would be good to hear from some other moms on the issue- plus I'd LOVE to get some nonHAM related topics on the general board, LOL!:lol:

I had them when I was young, and my dd has them, so far. I have no problem with them. However, on one of my dd's sealants I guess it did not seal completely around the tooth, and a tiny cavity formed in between the sealant and the tooth. That never happened to me though, and I wouldn't think it's common. It was so tiny they didn't even charge us to fill it.

I'm mainly here to :bigear:

I asked at our pediatric dentist about them and was told the dentist no longer recommends them because he had too many cases of tooth decay beneath the sealant. Then I went in for a cleaning at *my* dentist office today and he was doing sealants on a 8-9-ish yo kid in the next room.

Most of my kids have them but dd 18 got cavities in spite of getting sealants. Several of them....she is the only one of the kids to turn out like that but the sealants did not work for her! Our new dentist does not recommend them. He says he sees a lot of decay in spite of having it done.

our nearly 7yo has them, and I regret getting them put on her teeth. I've recently found out that the sealants contain BPA. ugh.

We are on our personal road to dental healing thru diet and supplements. I've seen some changes in our son's teeth. We're pretty excited. Will prolly opt out of sealants from here on out.

our nearly 7yo has them, and I regret getting them put on her teeth. I've recently found out that the sealants contain BPA. ugh.

We are on our personal road to dental healing thru diet and supplements. I've seen some changes in our son's teeth. We're pretty excited. Will prolly opt out of sealants from here on out.

Wow, you've really gotta post more on this. Can you elaborate on dental healing thru diet?

Wow, you've really gotta post more on this. Can you elaborate on dental healing thru diet?

check out the book Cure Tooth Decay

We're focusing on the following:

pastured meats and organs

bone broth daily

soaking grains to reduce phytic acid (when we do eat grains, i am trying to lower our intake)

lactofermented beverages and vegetables (probiotics)

raw milk, pastured butter, and other grass-fed dairy

fermented cod liver oil

high vitamin butter oil

cell salts

vitamin C

brushing with Pascalite Clay

Concentrace added to our water or mineral water

Xylitol mints

*no white flour, no white sugar. Only whole grains & unrefined sugars.

**If you do a google on "remineralization" or "healing cavities", you'll find a LOT of info out there.

Edited by flobee76
added info

Is this a common thing? Could the grooves indicate any sort of nutritional problem?

I don't think the grooves in the teeth have anything at all to do with nutrition. It is just that teeth with grooves are more likely to form cavities because food can get stuck in the grooves. And sealants are very common for children once they get their permanent molars. Both my dds had them. I wish they had been available when I was a child :001_smile: Our dental insurance paid for them, so I think they are commonly accepted in dental practice.

HTH,

Mary

Our dentist does them as soon as the molars break through. In fact, they just did 5 year olds, even though they weren't all the way out. They will re-touch ( for no extra charge) at the next visit.

They also touched up (or will next time???) older dd's, where they are worn. This is also no extra charge, so I assume they think they are beneficial.

Mine have had the sealants. No cavities until last time when dentist said dd had a very, very small cavity forming. It formed because she apparently has extremely grooved teeth (very deep grooves). Both he & another dentist who actually filled the tooth showed that her grooves were so deep even a toothbrush bristle wouldn't have fit all the way down in there (so she really had no way to clean it). I think grooved teeth are just something you have or don't have & it doesn't reflect a health issue. (Dd has no food allergies or health issues.)

Yep. Wish they had been around when I was a kid, I had a mouthful of fillings by the time I was 10.

I do wonder about fluoride. My kids had more cavities when we lived in the city (w/ fluoridated water) than they have had in the past 5 years when we have been on well water.

Mine have had the sealants. No cavities until last time when dentist said dd had a very, very small cavity forming. It formed because she apparently has extremely grooved teeth (very deep grooves). Both he & another dentist who actually filled the tooth showed that her grooves were so deep even a toothbrush bristle wouldn't have fit all the way down in there (so she really had no way to clean it). I think grooved teeth are just something you have or don't have & it doesn't reflect a health issue. (Dd has no food allergies or health issues.)

My youngest has really deep groves and we've had all his teeth sealed. He developed small pits in the sides of two of his molars where there is a large groove too deep for brushing was. This was due to the teeth not forming correctly. The dentist filled these grooves and will probably end up filling the grooves on the top as soon as she sees any sign of decay.

I also have very deep groves in my teeth and I am suffering a lot of problems in my 40's due to them. ;-(

So for some, sealants are probably optional, but for my youngest they are very helpful.

Mine do have them. I'd get them if I could. I have very groved teeth, so does one of my sons. He and I have accounted for the vast majority of our dental bills.

My dentist just put one in ME! I have a wisdom tooth that is hard to brush. He recommended it and I went for it. Definitely ask your dentist if he'd do it for you!

My dc have them on all their permanent molars. And we are a non-intervention type of family.

:iagree: We are VERY hands-off with medical care. If our dentist recommends sealants, we get them.

My 17yo had sealants when she was around 10. She has never had a cavity. My 7yo got sealants when she was 6 and has not had a cavity. My 5yo has VERY BAD TEETH. He has not had sealants, but I wish they would have given them to him every time he had a molar erupt:glare:.

I would get them. They do prevent cavities from getting in the groves of the molars where food partials can get caught and start dental caries.

Good question to bring up. Now I think the last time I looked into this the cost was crazy! Anyone remember about what they paid per tooth...we're uninsured so I'd be curious to know.

Thanks!

I want to say it was about $50 per tooth. We have dental insurance, but with a 90/10 split and i want to say we paid $5.

Mine do have them. I'd get them if I could. I have very groved teeth, so does one of my sons. He and I have accounted for the vast majority of our dental bills.

I have a sealant on one of my teeth right now because it has deep grooves and the dentist recommended it. You should definitely ask!

My dd is too young for them, but once she's old enough, we'll definitely have it done. I had quite a few cavities as a child, so my dentist put sealants on my molars. I just had my first cavity a few months ago since having them put on close to twenty years ago. And I went through college living on diet soda and falling asleep without brushing. For me, they worked pretty darn well.

Both DH and I have multiple cavities/fillings/crowns despite regular brushing since we were tots. I had 8 cavities at 10yo, despite minimal sweets, no soda, etc.

The boys have deep grooves in their molars. I was quite anxious to get sealant as soon as it was appropriate. So far, so good. Neither has any cavities.

Both girls are getting sealants as their molars come in. We get the glass ones rather than the plastic even though our insurance doesn't cover them and they don't last as long. It's a bit shy of $50 a tooth.

absolutely. anything I can do to minimize cavities, I do.

:iagree: My son got his first round of sealants back when he was 5. The next round of sealants was when he was 10 (it wears off in the back molar areas). And this year, at age 15, he got another round of sealants. Sonny boy has Asperger's Syndrome, rare liver disease, and a low-protein diet (fruits/veggies BUT super high in carbs and sugar). He really doesn't brush his teeth well. He has never had a cavity -- thanks to the sealants!!

Edited by tex-mex

Our dentist does them as soon as the molars break through. In fact, they just did 5 year olds, even though they weren't all the way out. They will re-touch ( for no extra charge) at the next visit.

They also touched up (or will next time???) older dd's, where they are worn. This is also no extra charge, so I assume they think they are beneficial.

This is exactly what my son went thru with his original sealants and touch ups as he grew up.

My 9yo got them recently; my 6yo will get them in a year or two, as he doesn't have all of his permanent molars yet. Our dentist uses the BPA-free sealants, so I felt pretty comfortable doing the sealants. I want to say it was around $50 a tooth, but our insurance covered it; otoh, they wouldn't cover a filling in full, so sealants are a better deal.

Edited by happypamama