Menu

Philly Conference

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is early and still in the planning stages...but does anyone know how this is going to work?

Obviously someone has to pay to bring in the speakers, and pay for meeting space, etc...are we going to buy "tickets" or something like that to the "conference"? I guess I am just trying to figure out if it will be worth it to keep our plans. I mean, YES I totally want to see SWB and MCT (they were a big part of the reason I was even coming at all!) but it will cost us a lot of money to come and stay. I was also planning to have the large vendor hall to explore. Will SWB, RFWP, and anyone else who comes be bringing their materials to sell? (or at least touch :lol:)

Again, I know it's early and there may not be answers out there to all of this yet. DH can probably hold off another week or two before changing the business plans he had arranged around the conference.

I'm glad that something is in the works!! We are a definite maybe. :D

So, what about hotel rates? Any deals to be had somewhere? I am totally into going even now, but need some great deal (and a nice plane ticket, hehe!!).

I have reservations at the Motel 6 near by...It is at $76 a night right now...I made reservations back in December and it has gone up a little since then...

OK I HAVE PERMISSION TO SCREAM that SWB AND MCT will be at the Royal Fireworks Press convention to be held at the Radisson in metropolitan area of Philadelphia for June 23-25!

SWB - YOU'RE THE WOMAN!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a BIG thank you to DR. Kemnitz for coming through for us!

SCREAM AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:party::party::party::party::party:

I talked to one of my two friends who was coming down with me - she's on board as long as it doesn't cost much more than what the conference was going to. ($25) That is a niggling worry I have with inviting a slew of speakers - they all will have to be paid, I'd think, and renting one conference room I would think wouldn't be too pricey but one more room would double it.

I'd think that hopefully we could get enough people to fund the two we've all been talking about. :) I have to say that Jim Weiss is a great guy, but I don't know that he has much relevance to me at the stage we're at in homeschooling.

I hadn't registered yet, and now I wonder if it will be closed to new registrations? I can't blame them if they did it that way to honor those who have already paid, but I am still confused.

This is completely separate from the Northeast Greater Homeschool convention. We should all be getting refunds I would hope due to the cancelation of that convention. This is a convention being organized by Royal Fireworks Press. I don't know yet if there will be a registration fee. As soon as I know, you guys will know. Also, it will all be posted at the RFWP facebook page and at the MCTLA Forum. This new convention is only being held at these dates at this location b/c WE meaning WTM folks, asked for it!

I've been quiet, b/c DH REALLY wants me to go to a convention with an exhibition hall, but I'm going to definitely beg...er... talk to him about it again tonight. Knowing him, he hasn't cancelled my Radisson reservations yet, either! :)

I've been quiet, b/c DH REALLY wants me to go to a convention with an exhibition hall, but I'm going to definitely beg...er... talk to him about it again tonight. Knowing him, he hasn't cancelled my Radisson reservations yet, either! :)

You can tell him that we all plan on bringing our coolest materials for everyone else to play with, so if there's something particular you want to get your hands on, you can just ask one of us to bring it!

You can tell him that we all plan on bringing our coolest materials for everyone else to play with, so if there's something particular you want to get your hands on, you can just ask one of us to bring it!

I think this is a fabulous idea!!!! If we all bring some materials for others to look at then it is like an exhibition hall, and we can really get feedback as well.

This is completely separate from the Northeast Greater Homeschool convention. We should all be getting refunds I would hope due to the cancelation of that convention. This is a convention being organized by Royal Fireworks Press. I don't know yet if there will be a registration fee. As soon as I know, you guys will know. Also, it will all be posted at the RFWP facebook page and at the MCTLA Forum. This new convention is only being held at these dates at this location b/c WE meaning WTM folks, asked for it!

Fabulous!!!! I like this better than the original conference idea.

I think this is a fabulous idea!!!! If we all bring some materials for others to look at then it is like an exhibition hall, and we can really get feedback as well.

Totally. It's killing me that I have a room at the Marriott (it's cheaper and I have gift cards that will make it free), because I have a feeling there's going to turn out to be a great big WTM slumber party at the Radisson!

:D I will. Everything I want to see is pretty much Classically based, anyway. ;-) Anything I was dead set on buying, I already use. ;-) I can't wait until he gets home!!

:toetap05: I just realized he was supposed to be home 45 minutes ago. Which means a) my phone must be in the car and I probably have a bazillion voicemails, and b) I'm getting more and more impatient!! I did find plane tickets, though. :) hehehe Have to rent a car. :P Oh well. It'll SO SO SO be worth it!!

How would you envision this happening? I did see at another HS convention there was a used curriculum sale. I have a few things I'd love to get rid and it would easier there w/out shipping.

You can set up tables based on the type of curriculmn. For example a Langueage arts table, Math table, Reading table, ect. The people who are selling have to sticker, color according to last name a-b, and Price their stuff. Have a checkout corresponding to the color code system. The Money will be taken added to a spread sheet under the persons name who the material belonged. At the end of the day you have to collect your unsold stuff and collect your money. Dunno if there should be a price for selling things though.... Just a thought! Hope it makes sense cause it makes sense in my head!

Ok here's the scoop as I understand it. I did know before all of this occurring, that Dr. Kemnitz of RFWP was planning to host small conventions with just a few speakers, with MCT being a featured speaker. He was going to hold this in various locations. So the cancelation of the Northeast Convention has spurred this forward I do believe. So RFWP will be holding a mini-convention at the Radisson's convention center which can hold 2000 people for the dates of the Northeast Convention. More to follow on speakers.

We're going to Philadelphia!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO

Yay!!! yay!!!! Woooohoooo....yay!!! I. AM. PSYCHED. Dh said I can come....and I will be bringing either dh or my dd. I will possibly be bringing another df too. Whooooppppeeee.....this is so much more up my alley than a huge convention. I am so excited...please happen... Please happen!

Faithe

Totally. It's killing me that I have a room at the Marriott (it's cheaper and I have gift cards that will make it free), because I have a feeling there's going to turn out to be a great big WTM slumber party at the Radisson!

I'm booked at the Marriott, too. Not sure that I will still be able to make it though, but I'm not cancelling my room yet.

You can set up tables based on the type of curriculmn. For example a Langueage arts table, Math table, Reading table, ect. The people who are selling have to sticker, color according to last name a-b, and Price their stuff. Have a checkout corresponding to the color code system. The Money will be taken added to a spread sheet under the persons name who the material belonged. At the end of the day you have to collect your unsold stuff and collect your money. Dunno if there should be a price for selling things though.... Just a thought! Hope it makes sense cause it makes sense in my head!

I did a used curriculum sale once. Each person brought and sold their own books. It worked great. No set up. Come and go as you please. Kind of like garage sale/flea market style.

How would you envision this happening? I did see at another HS convention there was a used curriculum sale. I have a few things I'd love to get rid and it would easier there w/out shipping.

What about assigning everyone a number and on their price tags they put their number plus the price. Then we just put the books out on tables grouped by subject. When they check out the person cashiering credits the amount to the assigned number. I'd be more than happy to help organize this too.

I think we should think/talk about whether or not to have a price for selling things. My first thought is nah its just us but then I thought that might be an easy way to fundraise for our speakers. Thoughts??

While I'm thinking about bringing some stuff for selling, I also don't want the used sale to take my time there! I'm going mainly for the speakers, and the wine. There will be wine, right? :)

I would bring used books for selling, but only if I don't have to man my table to sell. Or maybe there would be a dedicated time for selling, that wouldn't conflict with any talks?

OK I HAVE PERMISSION TO SCREAM that SWB AND MCT will be at the Royal Fireworks Press convention to be held at the Radisson in metropolitan area of Philadelphia for June 23-25!

:party:I am just seeing this!

FYI, I just booked a room at the Radisson at the convention price. I booked through the convention website link, and did it all online.

Hey, was anyone else a little freaked out by their "themed suites" which have "no windows for privacy", and are on the 15th floor, but the elevator only goes to 14? :eek:

Weird, weird, weird.

While I'm thinking about bringing some stuff for selling, I also don't want the used sale to take my time there! I'm going mainly for the speakers, and the wine. There will be wine, right? :)

I would bring used books for selling, but only if I don't have to man my table to sell. Or maybe there would be a dedicated time for selling, that wouldn't conflict with any talks?

:bigear: Will you be bringing any French-language materials? That, combined with the speakers, could be enough to get me there. :D

I just had to have a friend bring me back Harry Potter in French from her vacation in Martinique. S&H is so expensive sometimes! :tongue_smilie:

:bigear: Will you be bringing any French-language materials?

I would be willing to bring anything in French, if I know there's a demand. It's a piece of cake for me to go to the library and buy stuff for you, but I'd want money in advance for that.

If you just want to look at my used material, I might bring some, if there's interest.

Ohmygosh, I'm singing the Laverne and Shirley theme song now!

"We're gonna make our dreams come true.

And we'll do it our way, yes our way..."

Woohoo!!!

Thanks for taking the ball and running with it, guys!!!!:D:party::cheers2:

I would be willing to bring anything in French, if I know there's a demand. It's a piece of cake for me to go to the library and buy stuff for you, but I'd want money in advance for that.

If you just want to look at my used material, I might bring some, if there's interest.

I'd be VERY interested in your used material AND in purchasing things in advance. It's so, so expensive to order things from amazon.fr. I especially need read-alouds for my littles. As the baby gets to be "reading to" age, I want to read to him exclusively in French.

Sheesh mareesh!!!! Spend a day flying across the U.S. and see what I miss!!!!!!

Thank you, THANK YOU, SWB, RFP, Capt Uhura, and everybody who's been working so hard to make this happen!

Do we still have to wear togas??

Hey, I talked to my other friend, and she's up for coming too, so another

:auto:

to add to the list!

Did someone say there was info/details on this somewhere (RFWP)? I'm not on Facebook, and I haven't seen anything on their email list or their main site. Are the people coming for the exact same days, or will it only be two days, or ??? I'm ready to make some hotel reservations. :D