Menu

What would you want in an "evoltion" curriculum

JeneralMom

Okay, so let's say someone was possibly, maybe, perhaps, thinking of writing a year-long stand alone or supplementary evolution curriculum, what would you want to see in it? How would you want it presented? Biological evolution or big bang stuff too? Tied to all 4 sciences categories, or just biology?

I was talking to DH about it after reading several threads and he asked me what it would look like. Would you want it intertwined with each year of science? Would you want it as a year-long, stand-alone supplement to science? Would you want it to be incorporated into history and geography as well?

I think I would be able to get a year-long stand alone, articles based program for high school out fairly quickly as it would be almost identical to what I taught as an intro university course. Elementary and Middle school would take longer.

Not that I am doing this right now, just curious and assessing how much effort it would take.

(DH and I are biological anthropologists with specialties in genetics)

Edited by jenr

I haven't had time to think about what exactly I'd like, but just wanted to let you know our family would be interested. :) :bigear:

If you can, you may want to correct the spelling on the title, I almost didn't click it because I didn't recognize it in the first glance.

I really like the idea of a stand alone, for secular HS'ers who use Christian based Science (because they like THAT particular program) it would be perfect. For middle/high school, I would think a complete study would be necessary. All four science disciplines, covering big bang, animal and human evolution, as well as the controversy surrounding evolution versus intelligent design. A toned down version would be better for elementary grades. I'm not exactly sure what an articles based curriculum would look like... would it be more of a review, from different sources, based on current theory? Going that route you could also include "history of" type sources. previously held beliefs/ideas, what they were based on, how they've been proven/disproved, sorry to go on so much, but you've got my mind working, it sounds like a lot of fun.

I haven't had time to think about what exactly I'd like, but just wanted to let you know our family would be interested. :) :bigear:

If you can, you may want to correct the spelling on the title, I almost didn't click it because I didn't recognize it in the first glance.

Ugghhh, note to self, spell check titles. I cannot figure out how to change it.

:iagree:

:D

I don't think I would want a year long study, but something that would work as a prequel to SOTW, and whatever we use in the next two rotations. Something to use over the summer, perhaps? I don't know what would need to be included to have done it properly so I can't imagine how long it would need to take. The further back it goes, the better. Even if it is sciencey, which of course it has to be, I think writing it to fit into the history cycle would fit more people. It seems that most people do a more or less chronological history study. Those that don't seem to be interest driven, so they would fit in a resource like this whenever they wanted. When it comes to science, there is a lot more variation in how people are structuring it so it would be harder to make it fit seamlessly. If that made any sense. (I think I need food.)

Rosie

Hi All,

I am not sure if the Big Bang would be relevant to a study of evolution, but here are a few things which I would love to see covered:

1. A discussion on basic principles of Geology. What is the Geologic column? How do scientists find out which layer corresponds to which period even when the column is not complete in most areas. The different dating methods such as ice-core dating, coral reef dating, etc.

2. Basic discussion on genetics and the meiotic process. Do genes have boundaries? How is the "integrity" of the gene maintained during meiosis? I read somewhere that mutations are "repaired" by the body. How does the body "recognize" the mutation?

I have come across many texts which do discuss fossils, anatomy, homologous organs, vestigial organs, bio-geography, embryology, speciation, sexual selection, etc. etc. but gloss over the basics of geology and genetics which I feel are essential in understanding the theory.

We would be interested.

We talk a lot about evolution and other secular science theories, but its is all pulled from lots of different places so something to pull it together and make less work for me would be great.

Stand alone would be fine, but if there was science curriculum where it was integrated all the way through that would be fine too.

Hi Jen,

This is a great idea! I agree with Rosie; for elementary, I need a prequel to SoTW, with story based pre-history and hands-on activities, lapbooks or history pockets. Most ancient history lesson plans start with "What is History" and "Archeology" and then jump directly to the nomads. Something that covers the ages before humans, how the earth has changed, Pangea, dinosaurs, and so on, something more than what Usborne covers, more in story format like SoTW, to appeal to 5-6 year olds, would be fantastic. :-)

Thanks!

I would like a historical account of the theory. Its beginning, middle, and end are rather interesting. I would want the distinction to be made that natural selection and adaption while used to support the theory are not exclusive to evolution but also part of God's design, our unique creation, our perfectly made.

I think ideally evolution should be a part of any curriculum in most disciplines of science - Biology/Genetics, Earth Science, etc. Of course, that requires writing a LOT of curriculum with possibly limited market value (since even secular homeschoolers like a variety of materials). So, I guess something that is able to be easily intergrated into a variety of other curriculums is what I would prefer.

We are taking a break from our Continents/Cultures study for the next month to do dinosaurs since our museum is having a lot of activities for the opening of their newly expanded Dino Den. I'm going to start with the Big Bang, formation of the Earth, Pangea, fossils, Prehistoric Animals and Evolution before getting into dinosaurs. I'm finding the Usborne IL Encyclopedia of World History is AMAZING for this. Lots of great pictures, links to videos, pictures and games. I'm dealing with young kids so we won't go into a lot of detail but so far it looks like it will be a ton of fun.

Hi Jen,

This is a great idea! I agree with Rosie; for elementary, I need a prequel to SoTW, with story based pre-history and hands-on activities, lapbooks or history pockets. Most ancient history lesson plans start with "What is History" and "Archeology" and then jump directly to the nomads. Something that covers the ages before humans, how the earth has changed, Pangea, dinosaurs, and so on, something more than what Usborne covers, more in story format like SoTW, to appeal to 5-6 year olds, would be fantastic. :-)

Thanks!

I applaud you for even considering this. That said, I don't think you're going to be able to come up with something that will make most people happy. Where should you start? Would you bring in abiogenesis? How would you treat species like Australopithecus afarensis? (I consider it part of the human family tree but a lot of people who accept evolution do not, esp religious homeschoolers.)

It's a HUGE topic, you know?

All this to say, write something that addresses where YOU are and if people want to use it, so be it. I have a hard time imagining a product that works for a lot of homeschoolers unless it's a bird's-eye view of the subject, with information to point readers elsewhere for more details, including web links.

If I were contemplating this project, I'd start a blog with links. Meanwhile I'd write a book that brings my blog information together, in story form wherever possible, and that puts some of the blog information in convenient print form. I might even self-publish electronically through Amazon and other outlets and not even print it.

Just my .02.

Hi Jen,

Thanks!

For elementary, a unit on pre-history would be great. Big Bang and other theories could be covered. Include age appropriate definitions of terms such as theory and hypothesis. A quarter study (summer) to one semester would appeal more than an full year study.

I would expect more detail and discussion of dissenting views in a middle grades unit. I think a quarter to a semester study would have broader appeal than a full year study. Although, if you covered origins of the world through the earliest written records, I could be tempted. I would also be tempted by a unit that could be used as a supplement to another science or history program.

I would want something that I could do along side whatever we're already doing. I wouldn't want it to have to be our whole science curriculum for a year, so it couldn't be too time consuming. Perhaps something that could get done in a couple of months if doing it 4 or 5 days/week, or something that could last a whole year if only doing it once or twice/week.

I agree that for elementary it wouldn't have to be a year long study. A way to explain Big Bang to young students would be great.

I would not want to see ID incorporated into it. They are already science programs available that do that.

I'd have to think about it some more, but it's exciting.

I just want to add that I would love to have literature ideas to go along with the study...I don't know any titles off the top of my head but I read a great book (well written didn't feel like science) about evolution that was not Darwin (although I read him too). This would go along with certain parts of the curriculum to use as read alouds or extra reading.

Great idea! I'd buy elementary-aged materials on these subjects, as long as they were truly nonreligious.

I'd think about doing at least three separate units -- origins of the universe, origins of life on Earth, and human origins. I know I personally have tended to discuss these in rapid succession, and I suspect I'm not alone, but I do think that connecting these subjects too quickly only exacerbates the difficulty in comprehending the vast swaths of time separating these events (especially the first two). Not quite sure how to address this; presumably you'd know better :001_smile:

This would be a great contribution to the homeschooling curriculum market.

If I were writing it, I'd stay far away from the intelligent design/evolution "debate" and stick to the scientific viewpoint. There is plenty of stuff out there about intelligent design already. Instead address (with examples) how existing tissues can been modified over time to serve new purposes--i.e. how an eye evolves, how the digestive system evolved, how plant tissues are particularly "plastic" and can become leaves, stems, ovaries, etc. etc.

Since you are anthropologists, I'd think the big bang and universal expansion not necessary. Maybe start with the conditions of the earth prior to the first signs of life. Proceed from there to present day.

Are you planning on limiting this to human evolution? It would be important to explain the current thinking (I know it changes with more data) on human lineage. Especially our primate ancestors (which I last heard were lemur-like animals (not monkeys!), but I'm not sure if that is still agreed upon). I've even read that our invertebrate ancestors may have included arrow-worms, but again--a book detailing the family tree would be a lot more helpful than the snippets I've put together from various sources.

If the book is not to be wholly about human evolution, I'd love to see some examples from the rest of the animal kingdom. And most importantly, examples of speciation occurring in the present time (I've heard there's a goldenrod gall fly out there speciating as we speak).

Thank you for considering this enormous undertaking. We've been using Brian M. Fagan's books for pre-history and have seen some good dvd's on human evolution, but need some pre-pre history books desperately! Keep us updated.

And if you need people to preview it before it is published, I'm raising my hand and Capt Uhura's too!

Edited by Kalmia

I would be interested in this. More of a high school level.

It would be nice if it was set up say in 4 quarters, and then each quarter could relate to a specific topic earth science/ geology, biology, chemistry/human anatomy etc.

That way if you wanted to use it over a year one could. Or one could use a particular section over the summer before or after doing a Christian science course or use it simultaneously.

Lynda

Hi Jen,

Thanks!

:iagree: A SOTW style prehistory book would be neat.

Are there no public school textbooks on any of these subjects?

I've noticed a LOT of new offerings on the subject at our local library as well.

This would be a great contribution to the homeschooling curriculum market.

If I were writing it, I'd stay far away from the intelligent design/evolution "debate" and stick to the scientific viewpoint. There is plenty of stuff out there about intelligent design already. Instead address (with examples) how existing tissues can been modified over time to serve new purposes--i.e. how an eye evolves, how the digestive system evolved, how plant tissues are particularly "plastic" and can become leaves, stems, ovaries, etc. etc.

Since you are anthropologists, I'd think the big bang and universal expansion not necessary. Maybe start with the conditions of the earth prior to the first signs of life. Proceed from there to present day.

Are you planning on limiting this to human evolution? It would be important to explain the current thinking (I know it changes with more data) on human lineage. Especially our primate ancestors (which I last heard were lemur-like animals (not monkeys!), but I'm not sure if that is still agreed upon). I've even read that our invertebrate ancestors may have included arrow-worms, but again--a book detailing the family tree would be a lot more helpful than the snippets I've put together from various sources.

If the book is not to be wholly about human evolution, I'd love to see some examples from the rest of the animal kingdom. And most importantly, examples of speciation occurring in the present time (I've heard there's a goldenrod gall fly out there speciating as we speak).

Thank you for considering this enormous undertaking. We've been using Brian M. Fagan's books for pre-history and have seen some good dvd's on human evolution, but need some pre-pre history books desperately! Keep us updated.

And if you need people to preview it before it is published, I'm raising my hand and Capt Uhura's too!

:iagree: I would really appreciate one not tiptoeing around the issue and sticking with the science. I would really like one at a middle school level, too.

I would love to see 2 options. It would be nice to choose between a program that added on to what we currently use (BSFU doesn't discuss evolution) and a program with evolution fully integrated into all sciences. I agree that I would rather not see a discussion of ID, etc. I would prefer it just discuss the current mainstream viewpoints since there are already many other resources for homeschoolers. We would add our own discussion of our religious beliefs.

I've been thinking about this, and what I would like to see turns out to be age/stage dependent, with both narrative and science components.

Grammar Stage:

Narrative: A narrative in the manner of STOW from the very beginning of time as we know it, one that starts to give an where we are in relation to the universe on one end of the scale and on our planet (wrt time as well) on the other. I am a big fan of Neil Postman's End of Education and drawn the idea of giving children context and a sense of place and belonging through narrative.

Science: Aside from what is usually covered at this stage, I would like kids to start to gain an understanding of common ancestors (what it means and what it doesn't), adaptation, and archaeological methods.

Middle grades: A more in depth narrative. A 3 or 4 month unit on genetics, perhaps in the manner of Ellen McHenry's science units, including an extended discussion of evolution and evolutionary processes.

High School: What I would like to see though is a multi-disciplinary unit dealing with for evolution, tying everything together both from the POV of processes and evidence.

I would also love, love, love to see archaeology and anthropology units for middle school level.

Wow, you guys have given me alot to think about....could become a life's work.

1) grammar stage I was thinking more narrative, literature based, activities

2) middle school digging deeper into the hows and whys things happen - more on Darwin and Mendel and the times/environments they made their discoveries in. Maybe things like the Piltdown Hoax and/or the Scopes Monkey Trial.

3) high school move into primary sources with more in depth knowledge of the processes behind it. Would be heavily based on current scientific articles with a grounding in the fundamental and important historical articles/books. What we taught at the intro level in Uni was a semester long course divided into three sections - genetics, cultural adaptations/epidemiology, and primatology/fossil record.

DH has to go to the national Anthro/Genetics conference in a few weeks, so I am going to have him browse around the book sale area and see what he can find for each of the stages. He thought it sounded like a great idea, but I am not sure he understands the time commitment (or that he would be helping me)

Also, what would you be interested in for a small unit in Anthropology/Archaeology? History of? Major finds?

2) middle school digging deeper into the hows and whys things happen - more on Darwin and Mendel and the times/environments they made their discoveries in. Maybe things like the Piltdown Hoax and/or the Scopes Monkey Trial.

3) high school move into primary sources with more in depth knowledge of the processes behind it. Would be heavily based on current scientific articles with a grounding in the fundamental and important historical articles/books. What we taught at the intro level in Uni was a semester long course divided into three sections - genetics, cultural adaptations/epidemiology, and primatology/fossil record.

DH has to go to the national Anthro/Genetics conference in a few weeks, so I am going to have him browse around the book sale area and see what he can find for each of the stages. He thought it sounded like a great idea, but I am not sure he understands the time commitment (or that he would be helping me)

Also, what would you be interested in for a small unit in Anthropology/Archaeology? History of? Major finds?

All of this sounds wonderful. I also want to chime in and say I wouldn't want any ID mixed in, and that I'd be interested in a shorter study for the early years.

If I could design it myself, it would encompass all four a year, and cycle from the big bang up. No year blocks of____, but each semester --or even more integrated.

Archeology in with physical science? Anthro with bio.

In the ele years and logic stages building to HS. Ele would be narrative, logic more foundational with projects and experiments.

YES!!!

There is an LHS GEMS guide that I have and I want to do thoroughly at some point called Life Through Time. It starts with the beginning of evolution and goes through each time period, changes in the organisms as well as the environment and geology of the earth. I would love something like that, sort of like going from the beginning of history through modern times only for biology/evolution.

Also I like the Darwin for Kids book, so some of that type of activity/information.

A deeper discussion towards the end of the evolution of modern humans (Walking with Cavemen).

I would probably love something like this for the life science year of the WTM cycle. I think touching on other science as relevant but focused just on the biology.

Both, and a bit more. I'd like the focus to be (1) the chronological history of the disciplines -- how they changed over time due to both outside and internal influences (including major finds); and (2) how they in turn have changed the way we look at ourselves, our history, other disciplines, and our world.

Tall order, I know. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, nothing like this exists for the middle grades. I haven't looked beyond yet.

Edited by nmoira

Love it! How soon can you have it finished? :D (just kidding, of course)

Love it! How soon can you have it finished? :D (just kidding, of course)

It does sound great, no? I can hardly wait to see it. :D

I just want to add that I would love to have literature ideas to go along with the study...I don't know any titles off the top of my head but I read a great book (well written didn't feel like science) about evolution that was not Darwin (although I read him too). This would go along with certain parts of the curriculum to use as read alouds or extra reading.

Have you checked the reading lists at Charlie's Playhouse?

That's fine. As long as the prequel to SOTW ready for beta-testing around the end of 2013 :p

Rosie

I'd think about doing at least three separate units -- origins of the universe, origins of life on Earth, and human origins. I know I personally have tended to discuss these in rapid succession, and I suspect I'm not alone, but I do think that connecting these subjects too quickly only exacerbates the difficulty in comprehending the vast swaths of time separating these events (especially the first two). Not quite sure how to address this; presumably you'd know better :001_smile:

To show the vast swathes of time to young children, I found an idea on a Montessori website. I used a huge ball of string as a timeline and took it outdoors. It started with the big bang, eventually hit the formation of planets, and then, about a block and a half later (we did this on a weekday morning when there wasn't much traffic) we had about an inch there at the end of the string that represented life. Human origins were barely a blip. I had measured out relative distances ahead of time on the string because I stink at estimating these things.

Okay, back to the discussion at hand.

So, after spending the day obsessively looking up books, textbooks, videos, etc. (and ditching school for my kids), I talked to my DH about working with me on the curriculum and his response was "sure, probably more people would read it than read my articles now, so why not." We have to figure out how and what we want to do, and also figure out how to come up with the $$ to get everything needed to do this, but looks like it might be a go.

Step one: Come up with a name and start a blog

So, after spending the day obsessively looking up books, textbooks, videos, etc. (and ditching school for my kids), I talked to my DH about working with me on the curriculum and his response was "sure, probably more people would read it than read my articles now, so why not." We have to figure out how and what we want to do, and also figure out how to come up with the $$ to get everything needed to do this, but looks like it might be a go.

:D

I would definitely want it in historical context. So when are you starting? :D

Okay, so let's say someone was possibly, maybe, perhaps, thinking of writing a year-long stand alone or supplementary evolution curriculum, what would you want to see in it? How would you want it presented? Biological evolution or big bang stuff too? Tied to all 4 sciences categories, or just biology?

I was talking to DH about it after reading several threads and he asked me what it would look like. Would you want it intertwined with each year of science? Would you want it as a year-long, stand-alone supplement to science? Would you want it to be incorporated into history and geography as well?

I think I would be able to get a year-long stand alone, articles based program for high school out fairly quickly as it would be almost identical to what I taught as an intro university course. Elementary and Middle school would take longer.

Not that I am doing this right now, just curious and assessing how much effort it would take.

I would be interested as well. I am also in the camp for keeping it strictly evolution and not delving into tangents on ID. A parent can cater their religious and/or philosophical beliefs and foundations into their child's education instead of having you try to encompass so many varied approaches into your curriculum.

All the best in your endeavor!

Bill

It doesn't sound like the OP's particular project would be this, but I would really, really, really, really, REALLY like a theistic evolution curriculum for Christians who do not take a literal interpretation of Genesis. Something along the lines of Dr. Francis Collins' The Language of God and Dr. Owen Gingerich's God's Universe but accessible to a logic stage audience.

Hi. I took a class in college called Evolution (I also have a degree in biological sciences). The class was a semester long and basically covered the relationships between different organisms through taxonomy.

The professor would run through the Kingdoms, Phyla and through the different branches to show how organisms on one branch would show similar biological characteristics and then how the differences would emerge as you branched off.

It was a LOT of hierarchial taxonomy, diagrams everywhere :tongue_smilie:, mostly classification based on morphology/anatomy - but I think you could do a genetic version (it would just be WAY behind a high school level course).

Either way, I think that is an upper level high school or college-level course. I think this course was in the 300s (so you had to have quite a bit of biology before you could take it).

Anyway, that is my experience. It was an OK class, but honestly, I didn't get much out of it. It was basically a really, REALLY good taxonomy class. :D

It doesn't sound like the OP's particular project would be this, but I would really, really, really, really, REALLY like a theistic evolution curriculum for Christians who do not take a literal interpretation of Genesis. Something along the lines of Dr. Francis Collins' The Language of God and Dr. Owen Gingerich's God's Universe but accessible to a logic stage audience.

See, maybe it's because I have a degree in the subject, but I just don't see any religious components to evolution at all. If you study evolution in college, it tends to be..."now this striped fishy had babies with no stripes and the no striped babies all survived, but the striped babies died a horrible death at the jaws of the Megalodon!" :D

You can keep cultures of bacteria and watch them change to suit their environment. It's just an ability that some organisms have. Never once did our professors say, "Humans came directly from orangutans and by the way, there is no God." (evil laugh)

I think our pop culture has turned evolution into something it's not. I hope this isn't offending anyone. This is just my experience from college.

See, maybe it's because I have a degree in the subject, but I just don't see any religious components to evolution at all. If you study evolution in college, it tends to be..."now this striped fishy had babies with no stripes and the no striped babies all survived, but the striped babies died a horrible death at the jaws of the Megalodon!" :D

I studied biology in college and took a couple of interesting classes on evolution (Evolutionary Medicine and Biological Basis of Behavior). What I'm looking for is something that presents the science within a theistic framework. Science can neither prove nor disprove a role for God in starting the ball rolling so to speak and guiding evolution. Science deals with natural phenomena, things that can be observed via the 5 senses and such. God is supernatural and therefore a role for Him is beyond the purview of science.

What I'm looking for is a curriculum that presents the science within an explicitly theistic worldview. Something that directly acknowledges God as the Creator and doesn't claim that it's all just random coincidence. Something that furthermore like Dr. Collins' and Dr. Gingerich's books directly addresses how someone can both be a Christian and believe in evolution.

Right now I have to choose between Christian materials that are YEC and secular materials that at best ignore God and at worst present an anti-theistic "it's all just random" POV. I want something that is both Christian and includes evolution.

I studied biology in college and took a couple of interesting classes on evolution (Evolutionary Medicine and Biological Basis of Behavior). What I'm looking for is something that presents the science within a theistic framework. Science can neither prove nor disprove a role for God in starting the ball rolling so to speak and guiding evolution. Science deals with natural phenomena, things that can be observed via the 5 senses and such. God is supernatural and therefore a role for Him is beyond the purview of science.

What I'm looking for is a curriculum that presents the science within an explicitly theistic worldview. Something that directly acknowledges God as the Creator and doesn't claim that it's all just random coincidence. Something that furthermore like Dr. Collins' and Dr. Gingerich's books directly addresses how someone can both be a Christian and believe in evolution.

Right now I have to choose between Christian materials that are YEC and secular materials that at best ignore God and at worst present an anti-theistic "it's all just random" POV. I want something that is both Christian and includes evolution.

Now...biological basis for behavior - THAT would be an awesome class. :)

I think I know what you're saying now. I think our professors must have been very careful not to cover anything controversial.

I'd be interested in something along these lines, too. I realize it's probably not where the OP is headed ... just dreaming ... :-)

Please share links to the blog when you start!