Menu

Really bad books

Out of all the books mentioned here (that I've read), I've hated them all except Game of Thrones.

Hated The Handmaid's Tale, Water for Elephants, The Kite Flyer (which I didn't finish) and whichever other ones I ended up reading and hating.

I heard sooo much about the Life of Pi that I looked it up online and read what the ending was, and now am glad I didn't read the book. That would have been very upsetting to have read the whole book only to have it turn on you and be so horrible.

But I did like Game of Thrones and think that Martin is a genius writer in how he weaves the character's stories together. But he's pretty graphic with his violence scenes. I can't read more than one of his books at a time or it gets too grim.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A book that I pretend never existed was the 4th Twilight book. I have the other three on my shelf and read them from time to time, but that 4th book has just gone missing... lol

Felt sucker-punched by The Time Traveler's Wife and My Sister's Keeper, and have forsworn similar books forevermore.

I LOVE Martin's Game of Thrones series and think he is brilliant. Funnily enough, I cannot (canNOT!) read gruesome material in books, so I do skim over certain sections through the series because I can't handle it. But, the story itself? Genius. :D

And, am now intrigued by the Life of Pi ... off to reserve it at the library to see if I have the same reaction.

You just had to remind me about the episiotomies, didn't you!:blink:

In my next post, I'll announce my new web store, brainbleach.com. Only $19.95 per bottle!

Felt sucker-punched by The Time Traveler's Wife and My Sister's Keeper, and have forsworn similar books forevermore

I might have by My Sister's Keeper if I hadn't read several other of her books first. By the time I got to MSK, I was kind of expecting it. I wish authors would learn that the Super Surprise Twist Ending only really works if you aren't expecting it.

The Book Thief. UGH- I could not stand it. The writing style made me crazy. I went about 1/4 of the way through it and just couldn't take it anymore.

More recently, I tried to read Clan of the Cavebear, but had to stop. I couldn't get in to it. I'll try again another time.

Wicked. Bought it because I like that genre, and the original Wizard of Oz. Bought it to read on the airplane on my way to Disneyland. Put it away before we were out of Texas. THREW it away when we go to Anaheim. Wished I had had eyeball bleach. :blink: :ack2:

Disclaimer: Apparently, the Broadway musical doesn't contain the trash that the book does, so my comments are ONLY about the book, which I would never ever read again, nor any book by the same author.

Yep, Wicked is one of the few books I've actually thrown away in the garbage (rather than donating it to the library or something). Filthy, disgusting, and the writing was just flat-out terrible.

And yes, the Broadway musical is completely different than the book. I would take my kids to see it (like 7-8 yrs or older). I saw it in Chicago a few years ago and loved it.

... The book in the first post was The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Truly, truly disturbing.

Oh, from your description I assumed the book in the first post was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Too much violent s*xual abuse and perversion. Why is it a best seller??

Have I been living under a rock? I haven't read a single book mentioned on this thread, unless you count Ellie's reference to The Wizard of Oz.

I just finished Young Torless, a pretty disturbing novel about sadistic sexual abuse in a boy's boarding school (excerpt on the Book a Week 2011 thread if anyone cares), but it was quite good actually. Anyone read it?

Have I been living under a rock? I haven't read a single book mentioned on this thread, unless you count Ellie's reference to The Wizard of Oz.

I work on an airplane, so I always see what the books du jour are. Many times passengers pass them on to us, or just leave them in the seatback pockets when they are through. My colleagues gobble them up. I always pass on them, even if they're free. I refuse to read whatever book is super hot and popular because I've always been disappointed by them. (I just look for the trashy mags thankyouverymuch LOL.)

So I don't live under a rock, but I haven't read any of the books on this thread either. You can come sit by me :) I'm sure there are some quality books I'm missing out on, and perhaps I'll eventually get around to those -- when they're $.25 at a thrift store and I'm desperate, or finally curious enough -- but for now, nah. I usually read anything BUT what's on the best-selling lists. Don't even get me started on the Oprah list ...

I've never read Wizard of Oz, either. I hated the movie too much to try and ever read the book. We watched the movie ad naseum in school whenever we had a rainy day and couldn't go outside to play or eat. I'm scarred.

So I don't live under a rock, but I haven't read any of the books on this thread either. You can come sit by me :) I'm sure there are some quality books I'm missing out on, and perhaps I'll eventually get around to those -- when they're $.25 at a thrift store and I'm desperate, or finally curious enough -- but for now, nah. I usually read anything BUT what's on the best-selling lists. Don't even get me started on the Oprah list ...
A woman after my own heart. I paid 12 cents for that abovementioned German existentialist novel ... if you come sit by me, I'll give it to you for free. What have you got for me?:)

The only book I've really wanted to burn was actually a children's book. I can't remember the title, but I found it displayed on top of the shelves in my library's children's section a few months ago, and the cover intrigued me. The boy in the story wanted all the adults in his life to go away because he thought they were being mean to him. He wished on a magic box and they all died. He was even happy his parents died because of his wishes.:001_huh: The illustrations were even creepier than the story!

I haven't read a lot of the books mentioned in this thread either. Some of them I've avoided outright because I was warned off of them by a friend who is a voracious reader and knows I like to stick to pretty clean stuff. I've just become really, really selective about what I read/watch anymore. If there is filth or other disturbing elements, they stick with me and it takes a long time for me to shake off that 'dirty' feeling. It's just not worth it to me.

Warning: Personal Opinion

I hated-hated-hated Kite Runner, absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever. Of course, some of my friends in book club loved it, so that opinion is subjective. :001_smile: And yes, they teased me when the movie came out. Yeeeck.

Hm. I think the point is to illustrate the plight of children in countries like Afghanistan. The really horrible parts of the story are heart-breakingly common and most Americans are totally unaware.

The only moral of the story seemed to be: Shoot the S*B while you can!
My dad taught his daughters that. Also, if you don't see brains, then they aren't dead.

eta: The only book I truly hated was "Good in Bed," but it doesn't have anything disturbing in it; it just sucked.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

The Handmaid's Tale was not my favorite by any means, but it was Oryx & Crake that I wanted to throw away. I'm not sure what I did with it, but it's no longer in my home. That book disturbed me.

The only non destroyed book I've actually thrown away was some JD Robb novel about a murderous six year old. Someone recommended her crime series as light reading for a long car ride and lent me that book.

The Book Thief. UGH- I could not stand it. The writing style made me crazy. I went about 1/4 of the way through it and just couldn't take it anymore.

:001_huh: Really? Easily in the top 5 books I've ever read. I loved it so much.

It takes all types of readers to make the world go 'round.:)

A woman after my own heart. I paid 12 cents for that abovementioned German existentialist novel ... if you come sit by me, I'll give it to you for free. What have you got for me?:)

Sweet!

I went to a half-price bookstore today; I only shop the clearance area, and the workers always laugh at me and try to lure me into the "full-price" area but I hold fast! This wasn't my usual bookstore because I'm out of town, but their clearance prices were even cheaper here than my home store. I was thrilled. Doesn't take much ;)

I got a 1940s book on the home arts. Pretty cool. Victory Gardens, dugouts, the whole shebang. Must've been a war-time thing.

I also got an anthology written by Irish women, coming of age. Hadn't even been cracked open, but I flipped through it and was immediately fascinated. I love anthologies, and sure - why not - Irish women seem fiesty and stubborn, and those are traits I admire and embrace. Looks like it was an assigned book in a college class. Those are some of my favorite finds - and cheapest!

My last find was this super interesting book called Grandpa Says, written by some guy named Vincent Mirko in 1990. I've had a hard time putting it down. It's fascinating; basically this guy gets old and sick and decides to write his life story. He talks about growing up, going into the military, finding and marrying his wife, having his kids, etc. I feel a bit voyeuristic, but it's fascinating to read this man's life. Just an ordinary man, but such an interesting story. The intro says he wrote this for his family, and my copy has a few highlights plus a personal letter from him to the intended reader. She was mentioned during his war years, so I guess he sent her a copy. It's really an interesting glimpse into his life; he was born around the time of my grandmother (1920s) and I plan to have my son read it. Interesting to compare how alike and different their experiences were on different sides of the Pacific, especially during war. I paid $.50, less my teacher discount LOL.

I'll read pretty much anything; the more odd, the better.

I hated My Sister's Keeper--it turned me off to anything by Jodi Picoult. After that experience I started looking at book covers to see if they look like hers. If they do I automatically skip the book. I know it's wrong to judge a book by it's cover, but oh well. I also didn't like and didn't finish The Book Thief. I just never got into it.

I liked Kite Runner but I loved 1,000 Splendid Suns, his next book. It's on my short list of books I love.

I absolutely hated "The time Travelers Wife." So much that I didn't finish it and that is a very very rare event. I just thought the book was really dumb.

I kept waiting for a plot. Never finished it, either.

I've never read Wizard of Oz, either. I hated the movie too much to try and ever read the book. We watched the movie ad naseum in school whenever we had a rainy day and couldn't go outside to play or eat. I'm scarred.

Hated the movie as a kid (just the mention of those danged flying monstrosities makes me shudder) and refuse to make my dc read the book. ugh

The only book I've really wanted to burn was actually a children's book. I can't remember the title, but I found it displayed on top of the shelves in my library's children's section a few months ago, and the cover intrigued me. The boy in the story wanted all the adults in his life to go away because he thought they were being mean to him. He wished on a magic box and they all died. He was even happy his parents died because of his wishes.:001_huh: The illustrations were even creepier than the story!

Oh, no. You MUST give us the name of this one so we don't bring it home!

...I've just never felt this way a book and am really shocked. I felt like donating it to the library, but I would hate to pass it on to anyone sensitive. That's where the thoughts of burning or recycling it came from.

...:tongue_smilie:

I have NEVER wanted to burn a book. I think a library is a great place to give it. But I am opposed to censorship that isn't done by parents to their children. :)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. :eek: Crude, Explicit, Disturbing.

I had to read this as an undergrad and then act out a small-group presentation on it in class. I was assigned to play the protagonist. It was AWFUL.

A book that disturbed me so much I couldn't finish it (I actually returned it to the bookstore for a refund):

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

I had to read this in graduate school. I still can't quite figure out how it related to marriage and family therapy. It was one of the most disturbing things ever put to paper. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I honestly don't recall reading a book that I absolutely HATED. There's one of those Janet Evanovitch (or however her name s spelled) that I never finished because it just didn't grab me. I love many of the "pop" writers like King, Crichton, Clancy and loved, loved The Hunger Games series. I'm intrigued by the Games of Thrones because there seems to be mixed review about it here. I read The Handmaids Tale in my early 20's and liked it (working through Year of the Flood right now) but I think reading it again now that I have children might provide a totally different perspective. I saw the movie The Road and was so depressed by it, I just don't know if I can read it.

I love seeing how these books can bring out so many differing opinions!

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I absolutely, with a passion HATE this book!!! I was disgusted when they turned it into a movie. The kid was a self-righteous, self-absorbed, idiot who thought he knew better than everyone. How can you glorify such selfishness?

This book was assigned reading in a college lit class I took in 1998. I was the only person in the class who hated it. The professor was surprised at how vehement I was in my hatred.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

There are two disturbing things in this thread: when y'all say "garbage" I hope you actually mean "recycling." Also, no one has mentioned Bridges of Madison County. I was given that book to read by an aquainance who loved it like nobody's business. I was fairly young when I read it, and had no idea that a badly written male fantasy could appeal to so many, many women, and was absolutely horrified.

I dislike many, many children's books. I am especially wary if they have a Newberry or Caldecott sticker. I don't know who is on the selection committees for those, but they seem to pick books that appeal to adult's ideas about childhood. Also dislike E.B. White's children's books, but love his essays, and absolutely despise everything I have read by Roald Dahl, who seems to be the most misogynist writer I have ever read.

Oh. Possession: A Romance. What a pedantic jerk that writer is. Couldn't get past the first 20 pages.

Not as in homeschooling curriculum, like the other thread. I am a rampant reader, but today for the first time, I encountered a book I felt needed to be burned. I've never thought that before but this book is just so, so bad. It's a popular fiction book and I really wanted to like it. But it's just so filled with disturbing scenes and just not well written. I can't help but think it should also have a warning on it for sexual abuse survivors.

I've just never felt this way a book and am really shocked. I felt like donating it to the library, but I would hate to pass it on to anyone sensitive. That's where the thoughts of burning or recycling it came from.

I really wish I would have read through the reviews more carefully! Are there any books you have ever felt this way about? I know we won't all agree on them, this is just so out there for me to dislike a book this much! :tongue_smilie:

I've become much more likely to stop reading books as I've gotten older and have realize that I'm unlikely to actually be able to read them all. :lol: I have even stopped reading a trilogy 2/3 through the last book when I realized that I really didn't care how it ended.

I threw away some pulp science fiction years ago. The last book that I threw away was Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife. A horrid, horrid, badly written ripoff of a book that is only redemed by the wonderfully cutting reviews that it inspired.

I have NEVER wanted to burn a book. I think a library is a great place to give it. But I am opposed to censorship that isn't done by parents to their children. :)

I think that there is a difference between disposing of a book that I own and don't wish to pass on and pulling books off of the shelves of public libraries and piling them in the plaza for public bonfires because I disagree with the religion or point of view of the authors.

But then I also think there is a difference between banning a book and saying that a certain book shouldn't take up finite shelf space in a library intended for children.

I have spent time in Babelplatz and enjoyed frequenting the book vendors in front of Humboldt University. Censorship is something that is done by a government. It is not censorship for me to choose not to donate a book that I despise.

Books donated to libraries are almost always sold at library sales. It is rare for most libraries to put donated books on the shelf. That said, a private citizen choosing not to donate a book is not censorship. That's a fundamental misuse of the word.

I loved Kite Runner, but in the same way I loved the movie, Hotel Rwanda. Both opened my eyes to the reality of war, the beauty of community, the pain of lost innocence in fresh ways. It stirred my heart to care for the oppressed, regardless of differing faith perspectives. Both were terrible, but the beauty of rescue, redemption, and hope were powerful to me. I feel like both were *important* in order to gain understanding, compassion, and be available to act on behalf of the oppressed. I like the style of Kite Runner - well-chosen verbs, not flowery.

If you are choosing to not donate for the reason that you don't want others to read it could be construed as censorship, IMHO.
Censorship can only occur when one party or state (strictly speaking, only the latter) has power over another. Even with parents and children, I'd usually not say "censored."

Out of all that's wrong with those books, the kid's name is all you object to??? :)

No, that's not the only part. It was just so darn cheesy that I couldn't take the book seriously after that! My biggest objection was Jacob seeming like a pedophile, IMO.

But the idea that these are the most popular books read by kids in elementary school seriously disturbs me, both for the mature content (particularly in the 4th) and the bad relationship models.

I can't think, off the top of my head, of any book I actually hated. Some popular ones that I didn't think were totally amazing (Life of Pi, The Time Traveler's Wife), but I enjoyed them well enough. The Red Tent only bugged me because of all the episiotomies.

:iagree:

Oh, from your description I assumed the book in the first post was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Too much violent s*xual abuse and perversion. Why is it a best seller??

I'm glad you brought this one up. It's on my list, but it won't be now!

If you are choosing to not donate for the reason that you don't want others to read it could be construed as censorship, IMHO.

I disagree. I'm not the sole owner of this book and refusing to let them read it. I'm just choosing not to donate it. Just like when I don't leave trash out in my donation bins for people to go through.

No, censorship has to come from a government or controlling body. It does not come from individuals.

Example: When the Baseball Hall of Fame decided not to host the anniversary of Bull Durham because they didn't want to give a platform to any anti-war speech, that was not censorship. Tim Robbins went on tv crying censorship, which was pretty darn silly since it *was on tv*. Obviously, his free speech was in no way hampered. That was stupid. If I write a book the publisher choosing not to publish it is not censorship.

Censorship can only occur when one party or state has power over another. Even with parents and children, I'd usually not say "censored."

I hated that book. I made it about 1/2 way through and gave up. I rarely do that but... blech! And then my book club decided to read it and everyone thought it was the best book ever. Oh, blech!

I absolutely hated "The time Travelers Wife." So much that I didn't finish it and that is a very very rare event. I just thought the book was really dumb.

Into The Wild - I didn't love it, but I didn't feel like he was glorifying the guy. I absolutely love Into Thin Air, one of his other books, and I don't think that one is "glorifying" the people in it (who take extreme risks to climb Mt Ev) either. He is just a great writer at giving insight into people who might otherwise seem difficult to understand.

ETA, insight doesn't equal "approving". Same as the "Grizzly Man" story...very sad and insightful...but not glorifying or approving.

I liked "Into Thin Air" and "Under the Banner of Heaven." "Into the Wild" was just OK for me.

Hated, hated, hated - yes, hated the book Eat, Pray, Love.

Hated it.

Really.

It suprised me because I was the only one in my bookclub that had that reaction - but of course, I didn't let that stop me from airing my opinion.

I avoid books like Time Travelers Wife or Lovely Bones. I don't read books I know will make me cry hysterically.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. :eek: Crude, Explicit, Disturbing. Couldn't finish it. Very, very few books can I not finish. It was on my banned book list during the 8/8/8 Challenge. I see why.

I made it through two or three Martin books and then had to be done. It just got worse and worse. Also crude, explicit, and disturbing. I guess that is the criteria for books I hate :lol:

I read a lot of YA books. My neice is a youth librarian and is always recommending things so I, of course, take the bait. Based on the fact that I enjoyed the Hunger Game trilogy, she recommended Chaos Walking series (so very hard to read because of the style of writing used to exemplify the lack of education and social demise of the characters). I made it through the 1st one and about 1/3 of the way into the second before I realized I really didn't care enough about the characters to continue.

She also recommended Unwind which is the most disturbing book I have ever read. Seriously. I read all sorts of dystopian books, murder/mysteries, Stephen King, and so on... And the images in this YA book haunt me. DO NOT let your children read this unless you prescreen it (and then you too can be haunted as I am).

Wow. I LOVE so many books that were mentioned in this thread. Guess we're all different.

But I have to agree with Wicked. Ugh. I forced myself to read the whole thing because we were going to see the live show, and then it really wasn't that much like the book. :glare: I love, love, love the songs from the show and play them in my car all the time. My sister assumed that I liked the book from this, and bought me the sequel for Christmas. :lol::001_huh: Haven't read it yet. Guess I should pass it along or throw it on PBS. It taunts me every time I go over to the shelf. :D

Another HORRID book...The Slap. Anyone read it?? If you haven't, don't. It takes quite a bit to offend me, but the language and the crude humor and descriptions in this book were over the top. The one very very bad word that should never be mentioned was in this book dozens of times. :001_huh: And from the cover and blurb it seems so normal. Blech.

I started to read this book and then heard an interview on NPR with the author's publisher. She said that he meant for the main character to be Pippi Longstocking all grown up. It killed the book for me--I couldn't get it out of my head and I couldn't enjoy the book. Although I'm not sure "enjoy" would have been the right word to begin with.

Also, Pippi is the reason I learned Swedish in college; I wanted to read her in the original. I would've named my dd5 Pippi but it didn't go with our last name, so I went with the next best, Annika.

But I have to agree with Wicked. Ugh. I forced myself to read the whole thing because we were going to see the live show, and then it really wasn't that much like the book. :glare: I love, love, love the songs from the show and play them in my car all the time. My sister assumed that I liked the book from this, and bought me the sequel for Christmas. :lol::001_huh: Haven't read it yet. Guess I should pass it along or throw it on PBS. It taunts me every time I go over to the shelf. :D

I've started to read the other one (based on Cinderella) several times, and could never get past the first chapter or so. No particular reason - just couldn't get into it.

The Beach is hands-down the worst book I ever picked up. I couldn't finish it. A book has to be really, really bad for me to not finish it (I read the Twilight books. blech. The first was so-so, the middle books just awful...the last book was a bit better, though I agree about the horrid name!). I haven't read Game of Thrones even though it's in the house, because I think I'll like the TV show better if I don't.

Wow. I LOVE so many books that were mentioned in this thread. Guess we're all different.

I liked Wicked okay, but I thought Son of a Witch was terrible. So, I vote pass it on.

I started to read this book and then heard an interview on NPR with the author's publisher. She said that he meant for the main character to be Pippi Longstocking all grown up. It killed the book for me--I couldn't get it out of my head and I couldn't enjoy the book. Although I'm not sure "enjoy" would have been the right word to begin with.

Also, Pippi is the reason I learned Swedish in college; I wanted to read her in the original. I would've named my dd5 Pippi but it didn't go with our last name, so I went with the next best, Annika.

WWHHHAAAATTTT!!!!!

There is a Pippi on Prozac opportunity missed, very sad. I only saw one of the movies but that chick has ISSUES. How could he do that to Pippi!?!??!

I have to admit, I really liked the death of Mr. Collins. That redeemed it enough for me.

I had also recently read (all the way through) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I thought that book owed 90% of the good scenes to Austen. (Or as one of my wide read friends put it, "The best part of the book was the title and cover art."

So maybe my cup of poorly written Austen spinoffs was just too full. I couldn't put up with the precious bodily fluids long enough to get to Mr. Collins' death.

And I'm not just opposed to Zombies. World War Z is one of the books I've recommended more in the last 12 months than any other book I've read.

I had also recently read (all the way through) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I thought that book owed 90% of the good scenes to Austen. (Or as one of my wide read friends put it, "The best part of the book was the title and cover art."

So maybe my cup of poorly written Austen spinoffs was just too full. I couldn't put up with the precious bodily fluids long enough to get to Mr. Collins' death.

And I'm not just opposed to Zombies. World War Z is one of the books I've recommended more in the last 12 months than any other book I've read.

I loved World War Z, but I thought P&P and Zombies was a silly, silly book. Of course, the author's stated goal was to give the book some appeal to young men. Looked at that way-why WOULD it appeal to me?