Menu

Ok, so making those workbooks into spiral bound- ROCKS!!

For the past few days I have had the tedious process of taking 1 of my Mastering Mathematics books up to Office Depot, have the spine taken off. Then hubby takes them to work, makes 3 copies of the books (do not worry this is allowed). He comes home, we have dinner and head up to Office Depot- again. I get the front covers done in 3 different color copies, a different color for each of the littles. Then we come home laminate the color front, and the back cover. Then the next day, he takes them up and drops them off at Office Depot, after work to be spiral bound, and pick them up before work. Now, no doubt it has been a bit of a pain... but tonight I got back the first set of workbooks.... I *LOVE* it!!! It is soooo nice. They each get their own book. Now Elena won't need hers till the year after next, but I figured since we were having them done.... I don't have to worry about scanning, copies, they lay flat. It is SO nice... *sigh* bliss...

Oh, and for those who are interested it's .75 to have the spine broken. $2.89 for the spiral binding. And .10 for the color copy done. The laminator I own, and the copies hubby does at work... which is fine. So the grand total to have one set of 3 books done like this is about $10 :D

What do they do exactly to cut the binding off? Is this something I can do with some power tools at home?

I have no idea... the just take it to this machine, put it inside *kerchunk* and it's done. I think it must be a big, sharp knife of some sort though. They brought me the binding last time and it was just cut off, all nice and neat... LOL

I took a Teacher's Manual to Kinko's copy center to have that done and the lady looked at me like I was crazy.

She asked if she was allowed to do it!! I told her that it was my book and I wanted it done. The guy beside her told her it was fine, use ... machine and then bind it. It was her first time doing it and it took her nearly 20 minutes. But it was awesome - no more losing my page or trying to hold the book open with a cup of coffee and bowl of cereal! :tongue_smilie:

I have no idea... the just take it to this machine, put it inside *kerchunk* and it's done. I think it must be a big, sharp knife of some sort though. They brought me the binding last time and it was just cut off, all nice and neat... LOL

Your sound effect made me laugh. :lol:

I love doing this, but when I had a bunch done I realize especially for TMs I can't tell them apart on the shelf they all look the same. I miss having the titles on the spines. So I have been hesitant to do this with many more books. It is great with the WWE workbooks though - the teacher part is much thinner and easier to work with.

Any solutions for marking the spines?

But the spiral doesn't work for my "leftie" - oh well!

This.

Myra, have you ever tried comb-bound instead of spiral bound for a leftie? I've been thinking about either having our Math Mammoth pages spiral/comb bound or actually purchasing a spiral/comb binder, but I wonder how this would actually work for her.

Hey wait a sec...what about binding them on the right instead of the left?

[thinking...]

ETA: Freerange, we posted at the same time!

What do they do exactly to cut the binding off? Is this something I can do with some power tools at home?

Ok, I have to say...the visual I got of this is hilarious. lol! I'm seeing a mom with safety googles taking a chainsaw or circular saw to a workbook. :lol:

I love doing this, but when I had a bunch done I realize especially for TMs I can't tell them apart on the shelf they all look the same. I miss having the titles on the spines. So I have been hesitant to do this with many more books. It is great with the WWE workbooks though - the teacher part is much thinner and easier to work with.

I'm thinking I've had books before that were spiral bound but had a spine too. I'm trying to think how it was put together. Somehow the back was attached but the front more loose. Kind of like the binders with D rings that attach to the back rather than the spine...if that makes sense.

I prefer comb bindings because I can write on them with a white-out pen.

I have cut the binding off using my rotary cutter, straight edge and cutting mat. I have a separate blade for he cutter I use only on paper. The hardest part is keeping the straight edge from sliding, since the paper is slick, but it works well.

I'm a lefty too, binding on the right side sounds like a perfect solution. I read magazines back to front. :)

To mark the binding, I'd use different colored sharpies and a coding system. One blue spiral math 1, two blue math 2, etc.

Some great ideas here. Thanks!

Why am so afraid to have this done?:confused: Maybe I could start small with my WWE workbooks, which need to make it through three kids. Currently I am not using the student pages so as not make the book "wonky". It would be nice to separate out the TM from the workbook pages.

I just bought myself the ProClick binding system. I love it! I also got a new laser printer and have made all of our MM into workbooks. It is so much neater than keep up with the individual pages.

I also took the kids PR pages out of the 3 rind binders and made them into workbooks. Much thinner!

Now, if I could just find a way to cut off the bindings of other stuff at home......I don't sew so I don't have a rotary cutter and the nearest Office Depot is an hour away!

I don't spiral bind my TM. I 3 hole punch it and put them in binders. Then I can take out pages as needed, it lays flat when I'm working and I can tell what is what. I slide the cover of the book in the plastic cover of the binder. Works great!

I really should read more before commenting.:tongue_smilie:

They can use different colors for the coil bindings - I usually try to coordinate them with the cover of the book I am having bound SOTW4 has a red coil, WWE1 has a clear coil, but you could just try to have all the coils that you are currently using be different colors. I personally do NOT like comb bindings at all.

Would it work to bind the right side instead of the left side?

Could you spiral the top like Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling?

I did one of our workbooks that way and it is my new favorite!

ooopss.. I should read the whole thread, I see someone else just posted the same idea. Sorry.

Why am so afraid to have this done?:confused: Maybe I could start small with my WWE workbooks, which need to make it through three kids. Currently I am not using the student pages so as not make the book "wonky". It would be nice to separate out the TM from the workbook pages.

I deliberately returned my WWE 1 & 2, and took a store credit on one, just to be able to buy the PDF and print at will like I do with SOTW. It is so much nicer. BUT to be able to spiral bound the narration pages, or TM, and the work stuff separate.... *sigh* bliss, again. Now you got me thinkin... again- hubby's gonna kill me!! LOL

I just bought myself the ProClick binding system. I love it! I also got a new laser printer and have made all of our MM into workbooks. It is so much neater than keep up with the individual pages.

I also took the kids PR pages out of the 3 rind binders and made them into workbooks. Much thinner!

Now, if I could just find a way to cut off the bindings of other stuff at home......I don't sew so I don't have a rotary cutter and the nearest Office Depot is an hour away!

You can buy one at Target, Wal-Mart or order online. I just got a multi-purpose trimmer, which wouldn't work for this, but I saw the others at both places. The cool one with a rotating blade that you could pick between straight, perforated, score, and wavy was $50 at OD :D It was niiiice.....

For those who don't mind working in spiral bound books, but are annoyed with the center spiral, could it be top spiral bound?

My guys love letter pads vs regular notebooks because of the top binding and not have holes to deal with.

Now, that is a NEAT idea, I may have to try!!!

I bet you could tag the spiral with a little shape that you've laminated, like a dog tag, but pretty so you can see at a glance which was which.....

Like cell phone charms, but for books! :lol:

Yes!! A use for the 100+ die cut shapes that are hanging around my scrapbooking supplies. That I never get to use because I'm too busy drooling over office supplies and new curriculum. :lol:

Oh, and for those who are interested it's .75 to have the spine broken.

Oh, now this is excellent to know. I have several paperback books that I need to recycle (they have outdated medical information, so I refuse to just give them to goodwill), and our city recycling program will take PAPER, but not books. For one of the books, I tore out all the pages (all 1000). I'll head to Staples or Office Max and see if they can hack off the binding for me. I don't have an OD within 100 miles.

This.

Myra, have you ever tried comb-bound instead of spiral bound for a leftie? I've been thinking about either having our Math Mammoth pages spiral/comb bound or actually purchasing a spiral/comb binder, but I wonder how this would actually work for her.

Hey wait a sec...what about binding them on the right instead of the left?

[thinking...]

ETA: Freerange, we posted at the same time!

Or at the top like the Growing with Grammar workbooks.

Could you spiral the top like Growing with Grammar and Soaring with Spelling?

I did one of our workbooks that way and it is my new favorite!

ooopss.. I should read the whole thread, I see someone else just posted the same idea. Sorry.

Yeah, and I just posted what you said! It must be a really great idea. :D

Using a rotary cutter is actually sort of a pain (after the first few pages anyway). I just sort of bend the book backwards until the glue breaks and start peeling the pages off usually from the center. It works on all the Peace Hill Press products and other similar bindings. I did it this year with my TM from All American History, and Apologia Physical Science too.

Using a rotary cutter is actually sort of a pain (after the first few pages anyway). I just sort of bend the book backwards until the glue breaks and start peeling the pages off usually from the center. It works on all the Peace Hill Press products and other similar bindings. I did it this year with my TM from All American History, and Apologia Physical Science too.

Hmm, I wonder if there is a way to reheat the glue until it is soft and then remove pages that way?

This is a brilliant idea! I am using a "wonky" WWE, and it is a pain. I would love a spiral bound teacher's manual. I'm heading to Staples during soccer practice. :auto:

Thanks for the tip.