Menu

Great Homeschool Conventions kerfluffle, continued

The Great Homeschool Conventions organizers just called to tell me that Ken Ham has been disinvited from his speeches at the Cincinnati convention.

This was a private conversation between the organizers and Mr. Ham, but since he has now made it public on his Facebook page, they wanted me (and others) to know that this was done NOT because of his point of view (they still have three other invited "young earth ministries" in attendance), nor even because of his disagreements with Dr. Enns, but because of his personal attacks on Dr. Enns, Dr. Wile, and myself. (This was also an independent decisions arrived at by the organizers. None of us, to my knowledge, lobbied or asked for it. We get sniped at a lot. It's not really anything new.)

They also wanted to make it clear that several of the board members who stood behind this decision have similar objections to Dr. Enns' work. However, they felt that on this issue, there was room for a diversity of opinions.

I appreciate the courtesy shown to invited speakers by the convention organizers (and in fact would like to point out that every state convention I've ever spoken at has a contractual clause asking speakers not to condemn OTHER speakers at the same convention).

Judging from the size of the FB thread, which I haven't read (I'm kind of scared to), Mr. Ham's followers will interpret this as persecution. If you have a chance to stand up for civility, even in disagreement, between Christians, I encourage you to be vocal in your support.

The conference will be issuing a statement.

SWB

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also wanted to make it clear that several of the board members who stood behind this decision have similar objections to Dr. Enns' work. However, they felt that on this issue, there was room for a diversity of opinions.

I am so glad that they see it this way. I was really disheartened by some of the comments by posters on his blog/facebook page. It makes me really sad that so many people think homeschoolers are a homogeneous group and/or cannot think for ourselves.

Thanks for the information.

I'm glad the conference chose to restrict his opportunity for mud slinging.

Given the proximity to the Creation Museum (and I'm guessing some of the AiG Centers of Excellence) I wonder if there will be any excitement. It would be quite something to see a homeschool conference get picketed or something.

Thank you for staying high class. It is noticed.

Update: I have to add that the commotion has not only compelled me to revisit the science we're doing with an eye to making it a lot more detailed and challenging, but also to restore catechism to our morning routine. So I should thank him in a way. Better academics and more honing on our theology. (Monday morning school started with a discussion of my doubts over something preached from the pulpit Sunday morning.)

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I've always been a fan of Ken Ham, but his personal attacks were inappropriate, unprofessional, and have now made him look like a big fat crybaby. I'm afraid his credibility is going to suffer for this.

I'm glad the convention board took this step.

I respect that decision, on many levels.

I regret that this will become about *persecution* and not about *walking uprightly*. The smoke created will hide the real *point*.

I agree. Completely.

What he should have done was apologize for making attacks on people. If he wants to refute idealogies or theologies, then have at it. But don't single people out, especially if you're going to be presenting along side them at the same convention!

I've always been a fan of Ken Ham and have gotten a lot from his materials in our home school and in his VBS materials. But. I can not agree with how he's chosen to make his stand and how it's being spun now.

And, fwiw, it was SWB's first edition of TWTM that got me really on fire for homeschooling. And it was AIG that got me really on fire for creation science. I think both SWB and KH have a lot to offer home schoolers as far as materials go. But, KH needs to, as my coworker Phyllis says, "simmer down."

Ok, I must have missed a post or something. Was Ken Ham the speaker that SWB was talking about in her blog post?! The one that was telling people in his seminars to not buy her books?!

If so...Wow. I'm highly disappointed if it is!

Ok, I must have missed a post or something. Was Ken Ham the speaker that SWB was talking about in her blog post?! The one that was telling people in his seminars to not buy her books?!

If so...Wow. I'm highly disappointed if it is!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/aigkenham?sk=notes (I don't think you need to be on facebook to see this, it's public)

Oh WOW! That is a huge step for the conference organizers to take!!! I'm so glad they spoke up though.

I respect that decision, on many levels.

I regret that this will become about *persecution* and not about *walking uprightly*. The smoke created will hide the real *point*.

Yes, :iagree: too, and it's so unfortunate :(

http://www.facebook.com/#!/aigkenham?sk=notes (I don't think you need to be on facebook to see this, it's public)

UUURRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! "...infiltrating the homeschool movement"???? Does he really think that the thousands and thousands of homeschoolers are ALL of one single belief? I so very badly want to comment on that post, but I'm not going to. I'm NOT. I'M NOT!!!

I agree. Completely.

What he should have done was apologize for making attacks on people. If he wants to refute idealogies or theologies, then have at it. But don't single people out, especially if you're going to be presenting along side them at the same convention!

I've always been a fan of Ken Ham and have gotten a lot from his materials in our home school and in his VBS materials. But. I can not agree with how he's chosen to make his stand and how it's being spun now.

And, fwiw, it was SWB's first edition of TWTM that got me really on fire for homeschooling. And it was AIG that got me really on fire for creation science. I think both SWB and KH have a lot to offer home schoolers as far as materials go. But, KH needs to, as my coworker Phyllis says, "simmer down."

:iagree:

UUURRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! "...infiltrating the homeschool movement"???? Does he really think that the thousands and thousands of homeschoolers are ALL of one single belief? I so very badly want to comment on that post, but I'm not going to. I'm NOT. I'M NOT!!!

No, he thinks we SHOULD be of one single belief. Anyone else is a "compromiser" who is dooooooomed and is misleading other people.

Billy Graham's take was different:

"I don't think that there's any conflict at all between science today and the Scriptures. I think that we have misinterpreted the Scriptures many times and we've tried to make the Scriptures say things they weren't meant to say, I think that we have made a mistake by thinking the Bible is a scientific book. The Bible is not a book of science. The Bible is a book of Redemption, and of course I accept the Creation story. I believe that God did create the universe. I believe that God created man, and whether it came by an evolutionary process and at a certain point He took this person or being and made him a living soul or not, does not change the fact that God did create man. ... whichever way God did it makes no difference as to what man is and man's relationship to God."

I've always been a fan of Ken Ham, but his personal attacks were inappropriate, unprofessional, and have now made him look like a big fat crybaby. I'm afraid his credibility is going to suffer for this.

I'm glad the convention board took this step.

:iagree::iagree:

And I am not even sure I AM a young earth creationist or <GASP> that it really matters all that much. (Ducking and running.):auto:

However, I am glad the convention at least gave homeschoolers the benefit of the doubt, that we are not so stupid we can not listen to differing viewpoints and draw our own conclusions.

Thanks Susan, for all you do and for being on the front lines...when quite honestly, it is not always so pretty. :grouphug::grouphug:

Faithe

Thanks! I'm still confused. This post doesn't mention SWB but Peter Enns. I'm just trying to get the facts straight. It sounds like I wouldn't agree with Peter Enns at all (still need to do my own research on that one) but there are plenty of homeschool resources out there that I totally disagree with. What makes Peter Enns so special that he has been singled out by Ken Ham? I re-read the sticky on the K-8 board. SWB didn't write the books. Does she even have a say in what Peace Hill Press does or does not publish?

Just for the record, I am a young earth creationist. I never was a big Ken Ham follower, however. I prefer to let my (literal) Bible do the talking, not a man.

Thanks for being patient. I have a feeling that this will be a topic of conversation in my homeschool group and I want to figure out the truth. I'm more cautious of jumping on "band-wagons" than I was in my baby Christian days ;)

:iagree::iagree:

And I am not even sure I AM a young earth creationist or <GASP> that it really matters all that much. (Ducking and running.):auto:

However, I am glad the convention at least gave homeschoolers the benefit of the doubt, that we are not so stupid we can not listen to differing viewpoints and draw our own conclusions.

Thanks Susan, for all you do and for being on the front lines...when quite honestly, it is not always so pretty. :grouphug::grouphug:

Faithe

:iagree: I am a young earth creationist, BUT that is not what my salvation is based on! I have enjoyed hearing Ken Ham speak in the past and I have visited the Creation Museum, but I am so disappointed in him (and others) who disparage other believers over nonessential theological differences! There are SOOO MANY theological doctrines Christians can disagree on that really don't matter in the light of eternity. My salvation is based on faith in Christ alone! THAT is what is essential. My beliefs about creation, or the end times, don't make a hill of beans difference to my salvation. And while I definitely have opinions on those things, I certainly believe it is very possible I may be wrong! It makes me sooo sad to see Christians beating up other Christians over things like this. Argue over theology all you want, but don't attack the person or namecall!

Mary

Edited by Mary in VA

:thumbup:

A grown man should be able to criticize and idea or way of thinking that he does not without resorting to personal attacks. I'm sorry he cannot do that. I'm glad they made it clear that personal attacks will not be tolerated. The things he said in the facebook post I read previously crossed that line and this is even more ridiculous. He's not a martyr of the faith. He's a bully who was stood up to - IMO.

I believe he should make use of his time reading the book of James. He speaks of the need for teachers to be twice as aware of their behavior as other Christians as well as having a good control over their tongue.

Angel--

Mr. Ham mentioned both Dr. Enns and Dr. Wile in his blog posts. In at least one case, he referred to Dr. Enns as an attacker of Christ. He mentions me in this Facebook post, http://www.facebook.com/notes/ken-ham/warning-all-homeschoolers/186020768110064:

"So sad--that this sort of teaching is now infiltrating the Homeschool movement. Peter Enns is involved (along with Susan Wise Bauer) is involved with the very liberal Biologos group and involved in now producing Bible curriculum for Homeschools. So please be warned."

That is inaccurate, by the way. I have nothing to do with Biologos whatsoever.

SWB

Thanks! I'm still confused. This post doesn't mention SWB but Peter Enns. I'm just trying to get the facts straight. It sounds like I wouldn't agree with Peter Enns at all (still need to do my own research on that one) but there are plenty of homeschool resources out there that I totally disagree with. What makes Peter Enns so special that he has been singled out by Ken Ham? I re-read the sticky on the K-8 board. SWB didn't write the books. Does she even have a say in what Peace Hill Press does or does not publish?

Just for the record, I am a young earth creationist. I never was a big Ken Ham follower, however. I prefer to let my (literal) Bible do the talking, not a man.

Thanks for being patient. I have a feeling that this will be a topic of conversation in my homeschool group and I want to figure out the truth. I'm more cautious of jumping on "band-wagons" than I was in my baby Christian days ;)

Check out Ken Ham's blog. The post is something about "compromiser", IIRC.

I believe PHP (owned by Susan?) is affiliated with Olive Branch books. In one of Dr. Enns's talks, he mentioned he and Dr. Bauer are publishing these together.

FWIW I had a chance to look at Telling God's Story, what's available so far, and also listen to a couple of Dr. Enns's talks. Origins are not really discussed in any of these, as far as I could tell. It appears Dr. Hams problem is that Dr. Enns is affiliated with Biologos. It is implied that Dr. Ham thinks that anyone who is not a young-earth Creationist is compromising as a Christian. He never says there is anything wrong with the materials themselves, or even that he has even looked at them. It really comes across as a personal attack.

You know, it's just common decency that one not criticize or disparage the other speakers at a convention where you have been invited to speak. I think this all sadly speaks to Mr. Ham's lack of professional courtesy and simple etiquette. It's truly a shame that he is spinning it into a religious matter. If it feeds his persecution complex and makes him feel better, then fine. Whatever. But it's really quite distressing to think that other homeschoolers will be mislead into thinking that some of the finest homeschool materials on the market today are merely a tool of Satan to strip them of their faith *insert Dana Carvey and his Church Lady voice here* and lead them astray.

Methinks Mr. Ham needs to :chillpill:.

Wish I could go to the Cincinatti convention, Susan. I think the WTM boardies en masse would be a force to be reckoned with for any of the haters who might show up. Perhaps some t-shirts are in order? Think of the fun slogans we could have. :D

I'm reticent to ask this but am very curious. I've seen the blog posts and seen people "talk" about statements that Ken Ham made at the convention last week but was anyone here actually sitting there listening and can give a firsthand account of what was said or have the tape that they have listened to.

Like I said, I'm almost afraid to post this, but right now I'm having a hard time figuring out why Midwest disinvited Ken Ham and have allowed the other half of the controversy (Jay Wile is really who I'm talking about) to remain.

Over the years, I've heard other convention speakers, in their sessions, definitely recommend NOT purchasing material from this or that vendor because . . . (fill in the blank) and it has seemed very personal (and offensive) in the way it was presented. I always chocked it up to "they entitled to their opinion" and moved on. Trying to figure out what has been really different about this instance.

FWIW I had a chance to look at Telling God's Story, what's available so far, and also listen to a couple of Dr. Enns's talks. Origins are not really discussed in any of these, as far as I could tell. It appears Dr. Hams problem is that Dr. Enns is affiliated with Biologos. It is implied that Dr. Ham thinks that anyone who is not a young-earth Creationist is compromising as a Christian. He never says there is anything wrong with the materials themselves, or even that he has even looked at them. It really comes across as a personal attack.

Thanks, Penelope. This deserves highlighting.

The books have already been attacked several times by people who explicitly stated that they had NOT read the books, nor did they intend to.

That bugs me. :glare:

Just for clarification, Olive Branch Books is controlled by PHP, which means that I did indeed give my final OK for the books to be published.

Their presentation of the Gospels is completely orthodox. They do NOT discuss origins because Dr. Enns feels that the center of the Christian faith is found in Jesus, not in a particular interpretation of the creation story. He prefers to begin here with small children.

Dr. Enns is a regular contributor to the Biologos site. He doesn't run it, determine its content, or control it in any way. He has an author-publisher relationship with them, as he does with Olive Branch Books.

Hope that clarifies things. Sorry I keep jumping in and out, I'm making sugar cookies with my daughter.

SWB

I'm reticent to ask this but am very curious. I've seen the blog posts and seen people "talk" about statements that Ken Ham made at the convention last week but was anyone here actually sitting there listening and can give a firsthand account of what was said or have the tape that they have listened to.

Like I said, I'm almost afraid to post this, but right now I'm having a hard time figuring out why Midwest disinvited Ken Ham and have allowed the other half of the controversy (Jay Wile is really who I'm talking about) to remain.

Over the years, I've heard other convention speakers, in their sessions, definitely recommend NOT purchasing material from this or that vendor because . . . (fill in the blank) and it has seemed very personal (and offensive) in the way it was presented. I always chocked it up to "their entitled to their opinion" and moved on. Trying to figure out what has been really different about this instance.

I am hearing that Mr. Ham interrupted Dr. Enns presentation. I do not know if that happened or not as I was not there.

Dr. Wile has done nothing that I have seen but call Ken Ham on the carpet for personal attacks and appealed to him to disagree without attacking other people.

Here's the Contact Us link for the convention.

http://www.cincinnatihomeschoolconvention.com/contact-us

His supporters are making waves for contacting the convention against their move. Please contact them in support of it if you can!

Thanks for the link. I sent a note thanking them for their stand of integrity on the ethics of Mr. Ham's comments. I actually lean more towards young earth myself. I appreciated Dr. Wile's evenhanded advice to listen to all sides and use that as a way to sharpen one's own thinking--as such, I have NO issues at all with trying to understand BOTH the young earth perspective and the theistic evolution perspective.

I am hearing that Mr. Ham interrupted Dr. Enns presentation. I do not know if that happened or not as I was not there.

Dr. Wile has done nothing that I have seen but call Ken Ham on the carpet for personal attacks and appealed to him to disagree without attacking other people.

Thanks for this information. If that's true, that definitely crosses the line! Be interesting to hear from someone who saw it happen.

Angel--

Mr. Ham mentioned both Dr. Enns and Dr. Wile in his blog posts. In at least one case, he referred to Dr. Enns as an attacker of Christ. He mentions me in this Facebook post, http://www.facebook.com/notes/ken-ham/warning-all-homeschoolers/186020768110064:

"So sad--that this sort of teaching is now infiltrating the Homeschool movement. Peter Enns is involved (along with Susan Wise Bauer) is involved with the very liberal Biologos group and involved in now producing Bible curriculum for Homeschools. So please be warned."

That is inaccurate, by the way. I have nothing to do with Biologos whatsoever.

SWB

Susan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I am not on Facebook and would have missed this. I have read your blog post and am sorry for the stress this has caused you.

I do not understand why Ken Ham feels the need to be attacking other people. As a very fundamental, young earth, literal interpretation of the Bible believer, I am MORE than aware of which curriculum I can use, which I can modify, and which I just simply need to stay away from. I can make those educated choices for my family. I don't need someone else making that decision for me. It is very disappointing to have someone with a high profile position in Creationism resorting to these kind of attacks. It makes those of us with the same views look bad as others will invariably lump us all in the same boat.

That did NOT happen. Mr. Ham didn't directly interact with either Dr. Enns or myself at the conference.

Dr. Wile's reaction was to Mr. Ham's referring to Dr. Enns as an "attacker of Christ." His point--which I completely agree with--is that while you can argue, even vehemently, against someone else's point of view, no Christian should be in the position of accusing another Christian of being an enemy of the cross. That just goes way over the line.

This is the point that's not coming out in the FB posts. (I don't think it will, either.) The problem is not that Mr. Ham disagreed. The problem is that he accused first Dr. Enns, and then myself and Dr. Wile, of deliberately attempting to sabotage the Christian cause.

Yeah. That's a line.

SWB