Menu

Photos of our new puppy, Aidan

We just got a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier named Aidan. My name choices were heartily outvoted: Wicklow, Jetson, Mouse, Dublin, Gaelic, or Wakefield.

He is 8 weeks old and I guess he weighs about 5 lbs. We'll find out tomorrow when he goes to the vet. When he was born, he was 100% dark brown. By the time he is 2 years old, he will be the color of oatmeal, and he will weigh 40-50 lbs when he is fully grown.

post-642-13535084646983_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084647375_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084647768_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084646983_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084647375_thumb.jpg

post-642-13535084647768_thumb.jpg

Edited by RoughCollie

What swayed you to the Wheaten Terrier?

My sons were adamantly against getting a Collie and lukewarm about getting a dog. DH wanted a Rough Collie puppy who looked like Teddy. I wanted a Smooth Collie, any color, preferably 1-2 years old, because it would not require much grooming. DD wanted any puppy or dog. We were at an impasse. DH did not want a dog from the humane society or a breed rescue, and he was 100% adamant about that for several good reasons.

I considered our ages, where we live, our energy levels and capabilities, our finances, my nerves, and the breed's cuteness or beauty, etc. I wanted a medium or large breed, medium to low activity level in the house, medium to low activity level outside, relatively easy to train, intelligent, friendly, and affectionate. I wanted a dog that did not require much grooming compared to a Rough Collie, and a relatively healthy breed.

Nearly all my choices were knocked out by the number of health problems the breed has now, combined with the number of breeders who simply do not care as long as they get a show quality dog. My sons did not want a Standard Poodle or any of the Spitz-type breeds. My DD wanted every dog, so she was easy to please.

So it boiled down to a SCWT, who is medium range in nearly every category except friendliness and affection (they are super at both). All that was left to do was to go meet some of them, with emphasis on the adult dogs. The kids fell in love with them. DH (who does not get involved with caring for, training, exercising, or grooming the dog) was disappointed, but agreed we could get the puppy.

So now we have him, and we couldn't be more pleased. He is such a cute baby, even though half the time I can't remember his name - Aidan - because he should be named "You Cute Little Baby". He has brought out all my mothering instincts -- I keep accidentally referring to his crate as his crib! I have never had such a little or cuddly puppy before. He is right in the middle between submissive and dominant too, and I am pretty sure he won't be high strung (which would shred my nerves).

We may still get a Collie someday -- but hopefully not for a couple of years. If Aidan turns out to be the dog I hope he is, I plan to participate in AKC Obedience Trials with him. If not, I may have to get a Collie, too.

ETA: These dogs allegedly hunt and kill mice, so that is a Huge Plus because I am Terrified of mice.

Edited by RoughCollie

He is so cute. I love the way those dogs look when they are all grown up. I have always wondered if the coat is hard to deal with. My cocker spaniel's coat is a PITA...I will never have another dog that needs his hair trimmed more often than I do! LOL

Aiden will require grooming, but not compared to that of a Rough Collie, IMO. Aiden will be a lot smaller and he has a single coat, so right there, I'm better off. For now, he just lays back and lets me comb his hair. Hopefully that wonderful attitude will continue because I have to do that daily.

Edited by RoughCollie

My Cute Little Baby just jumped on DS3's netbook, "wrote" and sent an IM, closed a window, jumped down and tried to chew on the power cord. When diverted from electrocuting himself, he grabbed a shoe bigger than he is and took off with it.

DS3 and I just realized that Aidan is under constant surveillance by one of the six of us. We watch him sleep (he is soooo cute, all snuggled up to a hedgehog and a big bone stuffie that are nearly his size), we play with him when he is awake, we take him outside continually. That puppy is happy as a clam and his antics make us laugh.

The Great Horned Owls came back last week, so I have to be careful about that.

Edited by RoughCollie

Two kids have left for school, DH is taking a shower, the other two kids don't get up until 8:30. I have no one to brag on the puppy about, so you all are stuck with this! Believe it or not, this is short -- I left some things out.

This morning, he tried to get out the front door for the first time, when the kids were leaving for the bus stop. He was really frustrated when I closed the storm door (he is too short to see out) and kept jumping on my ankle so I would pick him up. So we went out to watch two buses go by. He is afraid of them, so I held him at his request. After those noisy monsters left, he bounced around the yard.

Then he walked up the 2 steps to the porch all by himself for the first time. Unfortunately, he bounced back down to pull on some weeds. They look like twigs sticking out the ground and he is determined to pull them out.

He also discovered that he can open a hardcover book with his nose, and inside there are lovely pages to try to chew. Then he closed the book and stood on it like he is The Conqueror.

He also came three times when I called him. Hopefully, this means he is learning his name!

Jean in Newcastle said I am besotted with this puppy. She might be right. Last night I got 3 hours of sleep in a row, instead of one hour asleep, one hour with the pup. He was unhappy during the first couple of hours (before the 3-hour span) until I figured out he wants to sleep on the bare crate liner, not on the pillow DD put in there. He still hasn't barked. He merely whines off and on, and when he is Really Serious, he howl-whines Very Loudly.

Edited by RoughCollie

My sons were adamantly against getting a Collie and lukewarm about getting a dog. DH wanted a Rough Collie puppy who looked like Teddy. I wanted a Smooth Collie, any color, preferably 1-2 years old, because it would not require much grooming. DD wanted any puppy or dog. We were at an impasse. DH did not want a dog from the humane society or a breed rescue, and he was 100% adamant about that for several good reasons.

I considered our ages, where we live, our energy levels and capabilities, our finances, my nerves, and the breed's cuteness or beauty, etc. I wanted a medium or large breed, medium to low activity level in the house, medium to low activity level outside, relatively easy to train, intelligent, friendly, and affectionate. I wanted a dog that did not require much grooming compared to a Rough Collie, and a relatively healthy breed.

Nearly all my choices were knocked out by the number of health problems the breed has now, combined with the number of breeders who simply do not care as long as they get a show quality dog. My sons did not want a Standard Poodle or any of the Spitz-type breeds. My DD wanted every dog, so she was easy to please.

So it boiled down to a SCWT, who is medium range in nearly every category except friendliness and affection (they are super at both). All that was left to do was to go meet some of them, with emphasis on the adult dogs. The kids fell in love with them. DH (who does not get involved with caring for, training, exercising, or grooming the dog) was disappointed, but agreed we could get the puppy.

So now we have him, and we couldn't be more pleased. He is such a cute baby, even though half the time I can't remember his name - Aidan - because he should be named "You Cute Little Baby". He has brought out all my mothering instincts -- I keep accidentally referring to his crate as his crib! I have never had such a little or cuddly puppy before. He is right in the middle between submissive and dominant too, and I am pretty sure he won't be high strung (which would shred my nerves).

We may still get a Collie someday -- but hopefully not for a couple of years. If Aidan turns out to be the dog I hope he is, I plan to participate in AKC Obedience Trials with him. If not, I may have to get a Collie, too.

ETA: These dogs allegedly hunt and kill mice, so that is a Huge Plus because I am Terrified of mice.

Oh, how sweet! When we got our puppy after our Boxer died, I wanted to nurse him when he cried. Now granted, it was the middle of the night and I was delirious. I'd hear him and think, "Where's the baby? WHere's the baby?" because we had always co-slept with our babies and I couldn't "find" the crying "baby" in the bed. :lol:

We just got a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier named Aidan. My name choices were heartily outvoted: Wicklow, Jetson, Mouse, Dublin, Gaelic, or Wakefield.

He is 8 weeks old and I guess he weighs about 5 lbs. We'll find out tomorrow when he goes to the vet. When he was born, he was 100% dark brown. By the time he is 2 years old, he will be the color of oatmeal, and he will weigh 40-50 lbs when he is fully grown.

Such kerwallops of the heart!!!! :001_wub: