Menu

What do you use for vocabulary?

~Amanda~

My kids are 11, 8 and 6 and we use English from the Roots Up. We us MFW and that's what they reccomend. I like that they have us study one root word a week along with several of it's derivatives . At the end of the week the kids make up a sentence using one of the deriatives. It's very gentle. In the past I used TOG but felt that studying 15-20 vocabulary words a week was to much for us.

I have my son using the Wordsmart Vocabulary cd-roms. I picked up a set on e-bay pretty reasonably. He has very little schoolwork that he does on the computer, so this is a nice change for him and he seems to like the program. I recently had some educational testing done on him and he tested at high school level for vocabulary.

He is also using a spelling program that focuses on morphographs and I think that helps as well. After he finishes the last level of the spelling program next year, I plan to have him use Dynamic Literacy, which also focuses on morphographs and their meanings because I know he's going to continue to need help with spelling.

Lisa

I just started my oldest on Wordly Wise 3000. I like it so far. I'm not sure if I will follow through as she gets older or just pick vocab words from our other curriculum. But for now, this is nice and I like the ideas.

We just started Wordly Wise 3000 and Word Roots Beginning.

I think Wordly Wise is a little easy for my child, but he doesn't always know all the different defininations that a word may have. It only takes him a few min a day.

He also likes Word Roots Beginning. He loved learning that an astronaut is a star sailor. It makes him think differently about words. Next year I will get the software instead of the books to add some fun to the program.

We don't have a curriculum, but we do use the lists out of TOG, and I put together a list out of our science book (Apologia... Botany at the moment). We also stay in review of our science lists from previous years and chapters, until I'm good and sure they're completely memorized.

We use the original Wordly Wise series and love it. I do discuss all answers orally for reinforcement (except the end of chapter crossword). At the end of each word list I also have them give me an original sentence using the word...orally. And they are required to use a few words of their choosing in their compositions.

We start in the earlier grades using Vocabulary Connections. Each week it starts with a two page short story so you can see the words in context. Then there are five pages with various exercises of finding definitions, synonyms/antonyms, using the words in different sentences and finally they set up a scene or idea and have the student write a paragraph using the new words. This gives more practice on organizing and composing paragraphs on the spot. They have not balked over this writing assignment they read to me the given set up and feel clever in how they used it and incorporated the new words. They have enjoyed the short stories (sometimes they are legends from different cultures, science topics, or biographies) and their retention has been really good so I decided to continue with Connections even as we start Caesar's English in the fifth grade.

I like how CE shows how the weekly five words are used in various classic literature that my son can recognize books he has read or will inspire him to read. CE also covers synonyms and brings in a comparison btw Latin and Modern English and Spanish but how the meanings may have changed over time.

Edited by Kerrie in VA

I took TWTM's recommendation to partner Vocabulary from Classical Roots (VFCR) with our Spelling Power. We've been using VFCR for the past year and it has been great! Like a program listed previously on another post, VFCR uses basic roots and numerous derivatives for each week's lesson. The roots are Latin and Greek in origin, so it helps enforce a solid language understanding that goes beyond the words themselves. VFCR then goes beyond that with additional words using a newly introduced suffix. This is all paired up with exercises using synonyms, sentence usage, related/familiar words, etc.

We will stick with VFCR probably through 8th grade, then dd will go back to learning Latin again.

Blessings,

Lucinda

We've previously used MCT's Building Words & Caesar's English I & II. Dd has finished CE II for the year and is currently just reviewing. From here, she's going to use Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop (a series of which I have my own memories from school!). I like the exercises and I also like that it has online audio support, a huge plus for my auditory learner. When I was ordered her books, I took a look at the elementary series (colors) as well, and decided to order the first book (Purple) for ds. I'm really impressed with it as well. It has similar online supports, too.

We don't use a vocab program. My kids read A LOT and I don't find their vocabularies to be lacking in any way. I also think that studying Spanish and (next year) Latin will help with vocab. I am always careful to point out and discuss cognates. Honestly, I don't really get the point of a vocab program if you're reading and discussing with your kids. Seems like time taken away from other things. JMO, YMMV.

Tara

Thanks for the great ideas! Right now we're using Wordly Wise 3000 2nd grade, learning Latin and Spanish, and looking up any words we don't know. I also enjoy studying vocabulary on my own. I'm thinking of picking up the Red Hot Words someone mentioned. We also have VFCR but I think that's not for a 6 year old, so I have it stored for later.

My daughter loves learning vocabulary. She actually got mad at me for slacking on teaching her new vocabulary lately.

We read a lot as well. She's been using a dictionary for words she doesn't know, we have a few dictionaries in handy places around the house.

We're really happy with Caesar's English and English from the Roots Up (you really only need the flash cards). We have close to 100% retention. We were using Wordly Wise, and while it was good to see all the definitions for a word, the lists seemed too long and random to me. The words in Caesar's English are based on frequency in classic literature. Also, my son breezed through the activities in Wordly Wise but retention over time was low. The built in cumulative review in Caesar's English and the natural review of using flash cards in English from the Roots Up has worked to cement the words. There is some overlap between Caesar's English roots words and English from the Roots Up, but it hasn't bothered us.

Otherwise, we have vocabulary lists for science and discuss unfamiliar words in literature and history.

I've been using Evan Moor's Word A Day Primary. This was designed for grades 1-3, but the newer versions have been separated by grades. I like that it is quick, simple and efficient. Doodle has always enjoyed using it.

We use the 2nd grade book and I enjoy it. They get a word a day for 4 days and then we review and have a quiz. He has had really good retention, but we don't spend a ton of time on vocab. I was thinking of using WW for 3rd...or maybe just a Spectrum vocab book, not sure.

We don't use a vocab program. My kids read A LOT and I don't find their vocabularies to be lacking in any way. I also think that studying Spanish and (next year) Latin will help with vocab. I am always careful to point out and discuss cognates. Honestly, I don't really get the point of a vocab program if you're reading and discussing with your kids. Seems like time taken away from other things. JMO, YMMV.

Tara

:iagree:

Glad I'm not the only one.

• 4 weeks later...
...I took a look at the elementary series (colors) as well, and decided to order the first book (Purple) for ds. I'm really impressed with it as well. It has similar online supports, too.

Kash,

Could you please blog and post pictures of the purple book? I've looked on the Sadlier-Oxford site and I've looked at Amazon and not been able to see any samples.

Kash,

Could you please blog and post pictures of the purple book? I've looked on the Sadlier-Oxford site and I've looked at Amazon and not been able to see any samples.

If you don't mind looking at a Level A book, I posted pictures and descriptions on my blog.

You should be able to see samples of the books on the S-O website---get to the order page for any book and scroll down to the bottom. If you can't view the particular purple book, you'll at least become familiar with the format. Check the online component for the purple book to see what words are studied.

• 1 month later...