Menu

6th grade plans

I know this has been discussed before- but we are now moving toward convention season- so-

if you have any new thoughts...

What are you using for 6th grade?

Some basics from me to start it off...

Wordly Wise

Spelling Skills and Spelling Wisdom

Saxon Math

BJU English and Writing

Typing (I think TI Deluxe)

HOD RTR ( I think...)

this is unorganized for now... but just some ideas.

Thanks!

Rebecca

Our sixth grade plans have been all over the place. I'm starting to feel a little more settled, but not entirely...

English: Vocabulary Workshop, All About Spelling, Exercises in English, Editor in Chief, Sentence Composing for Middle School, The Lively Art of Writing, The Paragraph Book 4, Advanced Academic Writing 1 [not all at once! parts of them all]

Literature: TIP unit, an online class, two of the W&M units (maybe), and a poetry study using A World of Poetry and other resources

Math: Art of Problem Solving courses; definitely geometry, the others remain TBD (and yeah, that's not normal for sixth grade)

Science: Spectrum Chemistry

Social Sciences: World Geography using Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art as our base/spine. We are SUPER excited about this. We're adding some cultural geography to it.

German: Rosetta Stone plus Saturday School

Art Skills: integrated with geography (whoo-hoo!)

Art Appreciation: using Art as the spine, along with Venezia biographies and the Taschen Basic series.

Music Appreciation: world music, using the appropriate chapters of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History & its listening suggestions

Logic: The Snake and the Fox in the autumn and something for fallacies in the spring; I'm hoping to take a good look at The Art of Argument at the convention.

I haven't decide if DD10 (11 in August) is in 4th or 5th right now. So she will either be in 5th or 6th next school year. This is what she will be doing:

Math Mammoth 6, Life of Fred

MCT Voyage Series for LA

Analytical Grammar

Megawords

Second Form Latin

History as described in TWTM - she'll be doing Ancients, but she is already fairly good at outlining, so it will look more like 6th grade

Science - we'll be reading through Joy Hakim's The Story of Science from the ancients period and doing lots of lab work.

Literature as described in TWTM

Extracurricu: piano and theater

I think that's it.

This is what I've used this year:

BJU reading 6

JAG- completed

Jump In! (Apologia writing)

VocabuLit- completed

Apples-(completed) and SWR

Journal (composition notebook)

MUS- Epsilon/Zeta

Apologia- Anatomy and Physiology

Prima Latina

MFW- Rome to the Reformation

Who is God? Apologia

Teaching Textbook- Logic

By the end of the school year, all of these will be completed. Also, we are not doing all of these at the same time. The items that have been completed have been replaced with other things. Such as, when we completed JAG,Apples and Vocabulit, we incorporated Latin,Logic and Worldview. That makes the schedule more manageable.

HTH!

Dd 11 - plans for this fall:

Singapore Primary math 5

LOF Decimals

Galore Park (So You Really Want to Learn):

English 2

French 1

Science 1

History 2

MCT Grammar Voyage/Practice Voyage

CW Beginning Poetry B

Online classes (CLAA):

Composition

Latin

Geography

Music Theory

Religion

Extras:

Guitar

Piano

Volleyball (maybe :))

This is what my son is going to do for 6th grade:

SL 5 (everything except the LA)

IEW writing class (outsourced)

Saxon Grammar & Writing 6 (just the grammar)

Rod & Staff Math 7/CLE Math 6

SRA's Spelling Mastery

EPS Reading Comprehension through Varied Subject Matter

Also:

IEW's Poetry Memorization

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com for geography

Wordsmart vocabulary cd-roms

La Clase Divertida - Finish levels 2 and 3

Type to Learn

Mark Kistler's Online Drawing Lessons

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I think I've got ours nailed down.

Math: R&S math 6 and moving into 7, LOF Percents and Decimals

Grammar: R&S 6

Writing: Finish WWE4, moving into 2 level outlines, and literary analysis per SWB logic stage writing podcast, possibly WWS when it is released

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 6

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

Logic: Orbiting Logic and Connections Intermediate (from Prufock Press)

Science: BJU 6

Art: Artistic Pursuits (includes art appreciation and art instruction)

Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish (with her younger sisters tagging along)

Music (this I'm not 100% sure about): R&S music and the 9 Note Recorder method, along with continuing our study of American music artists

Poetry: Continue our study and memorization of American poets and the poetry in SL 4

History and bible: SL 4 (with my middle dd) with some more advanced books added in

Literature: SL 4 plus whatever reading she wants to do on her own time. She usually has 2 or 3 books going at a time. :)

PE: continue with horseback riding and swimming

Whew, that looks like a lot. But I always wonder if I have it all covered. Any thoughts?

don't know if we are going to homeschool for 6th, but here are my ideas:

History--Moderns. Probably SOTW supplemented with selected books from various lists, including WP Am Cultures and Sonlight 7. Also looked at Guest Hollow and TOG.

Math--Probably Saxon 8/7

Science--Chem with the online chem class that is inquiry-based (name escapes me), plus nature study and some bio

Grammar--unsure. She hates Rod and Staff, but would be in the 5th book. I also have Easy Grammar 5.

Writing--combo of narrations and history questions. Unsure of program

Latin--will look at Galore Park's Latin. Just beginning after using 3/4 of Prima Latina.

Bible--Maybe John Piper stuff, maybe Positive Action for Christ.

Piano lessons continue, liturgical dance and choir also (all at church). Youth group for fun.

Possibility of joining Friday am co-op which may cover additional subjects or supplement.

Here are my tentative plans, subject to change:

Math- CLE 6 with LOF Decimals & Percents

LA- Analytical Grammar, SWO F or G, Meaningful Composition for writing (We may continue with this program. Dd's writing seems fluffy and contrived. We may just go with SWB's writing lectures), Some sort of reading program TBD, maybe some Killgallon just to make us all crazy

History- SOTW 2 with ds, Kingfisher for outlining, Greuber's Our Island Story and/or Story of Europe for extra info

Latin- Finish LfC B, continue with LfC C

Greek- Greek Alphabet Code Cracker over summer, start Elementary Greek

Poetry- stuff from Harp & Laurel Wreath

Music- Piano lessons, Meet the Composers

Art- I have Artistic Pursuits. We may actually use it.

Science- (heavy sigh) Some sort of mis-mashed earth science thing using Runkle's Geography book and various TBD earth science resources. Maybe.

Logic- Orbiting with Logic, maybe Art of Argument

I am so insanely nervous about 6th grade. This is really middle school. High school is just around the corner.:willy_nilly::svengo::001_unsure: I am also adding preschool to the schedule. Lord help me.

I am so insanely nervous about 6th grade. This is really middle school. High school is just around the corner.:willy_nilly::svengo::001_unsure: I am also adding preschool to the schedule. Lord help me.

I feel the same way, and I am adding a kindy to the mix. EEEEK!

I've just started thinking about next year. Some subjects were very easy to plan, others not so much.

Math AoPS algebra and additional competition math books. Math Olympiad.

Science CPO Life Science plus botany ala me (I interrupted grad studies in horticulture/landscape design to homeschool, sigh.) Science Olympiad, moving up to Division B.

History The Human Odyssey vol 2: Our Modern World 1400-1914. Looking into National History Day as it begins with 6th grade.

English/Language Arts All that is certain right now is that she'll use Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop B and maybe C. Literature will be tied in with history. Need to figure everything else out, but I'm giving myself permission to wait until June at the Northeast Convention.

French We'll continue with So You Really Want to Learn French 1 (Galore Park) and perhaps start 2. I have her older sister's high school French 1 and French 2 textbooks and workbooks as well.

And then

Art I'm thinking about Artistic Pursuits, which I will check out at the convention.

Music Continuing with flute but I need to find an ensemble we can afford that does not meet on a Saturday.

Gym Continuing with classical ballet. Next year will be four days/week. She also wants to try ice-skating which we'll start in the summer.

NaNoWriMo again??

National Mythology Exam

I know this has been discussed before- but we are now moving toward convention season- so-

if you have any new thoughts...

What are you using for 6th grade?

Rebecca

We have very little money for curriculum this year, so my daughter will be using mostly what we have on hand or what we can get from the library. (I will have to buy math and grammar for her, though.)

AO 6 for history/literature/reading, slightly modified to be all ancients, and dropping Augustus Caesar's World because we don't have it. Some literature/reading changes, also, to use books we own.

Rod and Staff English 6

Copywork and dictation (for spelling, handwriting, and mechanics)

Written narrations

some outlining and rewriting--not sure of what books/materials

some free writing, because she loves writing short stories

revision of her writing, perhaps once a week

Singapore PM 6, US edition

IP 6

math facts review/solidification (she is still shaky on this)

Bill Nye the Science guy videos from the internet

library books on those topics

inexpensive experiments, where possible

[i have also considered using the plant section of the Abeka Biology text plus library books. If Bill Nye doesn't work out, or possibly even if it does, I may go to that instead or in addition.]

Spanish read alouds with oral narration (she will also draw pictures to go with these, because she likes to draw)

Spanish reading

Spanish copywork or dictation once or twice a week

Artist study from internet and library

Composer study from library

folk songs from a CD we have

Hymns from CDs we have

My current 6th grader has been doing

Math: Singapore Primary 6A and 6A

Grammar: R&S 6

Writing: CW Homer & CW Poetry for Beginners

Vocabulary: tried VFCR A and opted to switch to Caesar's English 1 which we just started this week

Spelling: finsihed SWO H

Logic: Critical Thinking Books 1 and 2 (These are OK, but not exciting)

Science: Exploring Creation with Anatomy and Physiology(done independently for 1st semester), God's Design Chemistry(done independently for 2nd semester), and God's Design for Heaven and Earth(which we all do together)

History: TruthQuest Middle Ages and Renaissance, Reformation, and Exploration

Literature: lots of library books, a few book reports, and a few Teaching the Classics discussions

Latin: Latin for Children C

Greek: Elementary Greek 1

I have been looking for my extra student, because I can't help myself. Yes, curriculum is a sad, sad addiction.

Math- Saxon 76, Key to Decimals, Key to Percents

Language Arts- CC-Essentials, Megawords, Jane Ervin Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter, Story Elements Grades 5-6

Science- CC Foundations cycle 3, Dr. Frankenstein's Human Body Book, Exploring the World of Chemistry

History- CC Foundations cycle 3, other US history material (She thinks that she would like to do a states notebook and I think she would also like Dinah Zike's Big Book of United States History.)

Of course, Cuppycake also has other stuff she does including raising chickens, swim team, art classes, and drama classes. This semester she also started doing Future School and may do it or something like it next year.

Mandy

This is the first time I'm typing this out :001_huh: So I guess I'll get to see what it looks like laid out.

Bible - Inductive Bible Study for kids, memory work, Who Is God (Apologia)

History - TOG Yr 2

Literature - TOG Yr 2

Writing - TOG Yr 2, Brave Writer (trying this for the first time)

Geography - TOG Yr 2 and Daily Geography Evan Moor

Math - Math U See Zeta

Latin - Latina Christiana I (we are behind on this, but it is combined with his 3rd grade brother and my Dad teaches it so I won't complain ;)

Spanish - weekly class

Spelling - SWR

Science - Zoology 3 (Apologia)

Logic - Mindbenders, Critical Thinking Bk 2

Extras - Weekly TOG Co-op, Piano, Scouts, Sport?

Ok I think I covered all my bases....

I've posted this before (it's what ds did for 2009-10), but I'll post again 'cause I was just thinking about it again yesterday as I was sketching out a plan for dd for logic stage (starting in the fall). A few things will be different for her. She won't be ready for algebra in 6th grade, and her Latin sequence may look a little different (though I'm not sure yet). Ds took a year off from grammar in 6th -- I felt he was at a high enough level in Latin and covering enough Greek that he didn't need a separate grammar course that year -- then did Stewart English 1 and 2 in 7th grade. I might spread that out more and have dd do book 1 in 6th when it's her turn...

Math - Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (daily), continued participation in Math Olympiad (1 hour per week)

History - History Odyssey, level 2 Middle Ages (three days per week), Famous Men of the Middle Ages (plus workbook from MP - 1 day per week)

Literature - Lightning Lit 7, + books from the WTM 6 reading list -- I'll include our reading list below that includes reading from HO, LL, and WTM. Also reading Building Poems as an intro to more in-depth poetry study next year. (Reading daily, occasionally replaced by worksheets or writing assignments 2-3 days per week)

(Writing is incorporated into our history and literature assignments... We cover grammar in the context of writing and classical language study.)

Latin - Latin Prep 3 and Lingua Latina (Latin "lesson" two days per week, homework three days per week)

Greek - Elementary Greek 1, 2, and 3 (possible because of the amount of Latin ds already had - lesson two days per week, homework two to three days per week)

Logic - Critical Thinking Book 1 for first semester, various games and logic puzzles from other sources (twice a week), Art of Argument for second semester, with Fallacy Detective as a supplement to further explain points

Religion - Christian Studies 1 from MP (1 day per week)

Science - So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 (Galore Park), and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos Core Science kit (reading and written work 1-2 days per week, lab one day per week)

Memory - various poems, history sentences from Classical Conversations, Living Memory... (formally two days per week, additional review)

Geography - Mapping the World with Art (1 day per week)

Art - Meet the Masters (1 day per week)

Extras - ballet 3x per week, Boy Scouts, church choir, soccer in the fall

Reading list:

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children (excerpts), Harold Bloom, 0684868741

The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli, 0440227798

Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain, 0670869856

The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly, 0689715714

Beowulf: a new telling, Robert Nye, 0440905605

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Allen French, 1604595221

King Arthur and His Knights, Malory/ Elizabeth L. Merchant, (Calvert)

The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White, 0399225021

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green, 0140367004

If All the Swords of England, Barbara Willard, 1883937493

Adam of the Road, Elizabeth Gray, 0142406597

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi, 0786816589 (and sequel -- this one was a favorite)

Catherine Called Birdy, Karen Cushman, 0064405842

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Master Cornhill, Eloise Jarvis McGraw, 1887840001

The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer / McCaughrean , 0140380531

One Thousand and One Nights, Geraldine McCaughrean, 0192750135

The Story of My Life, Helen Keller, 1416500324

The White Stag, Kate Seredy, 0140312587

Tales From Japan, Helen and William McAlpine, 0192751751

The Samurai's Tale, Erik Haugaard, 0618615121

A Single Shard, Linda Sue Park, 0440418518

All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot, 0312330855

Secret of the Andes, Ann Nolan Clark, 0140309268

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz, 0698116380

The Playmaker, J. B. Cheaney, 0440417104

King of Shadows, Susan Cooper, 068984445X

Dante's Divine Comedy as Told for Young People (excerpts), Joseph Tusiani, 1881901297

The Second Mrs. Giaconda, E. L. Konigsburg, 0689821212

Here's a sample week from ds' planner that year:

10424_137590870877_688000877_2668318_5295613_n.jpg

The gray parts are the school times we spent working with another family. The other mom and I would trade off Big Kids and Little Kids for various classes, though Memory and Art were all done together. The kids wrote their homework assignments for Latin, Greek, Logic, or Poetry on the blank lines at the bottom of the page. The SOTW reference just told me what the younger ones were doing that week.

where is the planner from? This is exactly the kind I am wanting.

I've posted this before (it's what ds did for 2009-10), but I'll post again 'cause I was just thinking about it again yesterday as I was sketching out a plan for dd for logic stage (starting in the fall). A few things will be different for her. She won't be ready for algebra in 6th grade, and her Latin sequence may look a little different (though I'm not sure yet). Ds took a year off from grammar in 6th -- I felt he was at a high enough level in Latin and covering enough Greek that he didn't need a separate grammar course that year -- then did Stewart English 1 and 2 in 7th grade. I might spread that out more and have dd do book 1 in 6th when it's her turn...

Math - Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (daily), continued participation in Math Olympiad (1 hour per week)

History - History Odyssey, level 2 Middle Ages (three days per week), Famous Men of the Middle Ages (plus workbook from MP - 1 day per week)

Literature - Lightning Lit 7, + books from the WTM 6 reading list -- I'll include our reading list below that includes reading from HO, LL, and WTM. Also reading Building Poems as an intro to more in-depth poetry study next year. (Reading daily, occasionally replaced by worksheets or writing assignments 2-3 days per week)

(Writing is incorporated into our history and literature assignments... We cover grammar in the context of writing and classical language study.)

Latin - Latin Prep 3 and Lingua Latina (Latin "lesson" two days per week, homework three days per week)

Greek - Elementary Greek 1, 2, and 3 (possible because of the amount of Latin ds already had - lesson two days per week, homework two to three days per week)

Logic - Critical Thinking Book 1 for first semester, various games and logic puzzles from other sources (twice a week), Art of Argument for second semester, with Fallacy Detective as a supplement to further explain points

Religion - Christian Studies 1 from MP (1 day per week)

Science - So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 (Galore Park), and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos Core Science kit (reading and written work 1-2 days per week, lab one day per week)

Memory - various poems, history sentences from Classical Conversations, Living Memory... (formally two days per week, additional review)

Geography - Mapping the World with Art (1 day per week)

Art - Meet the Masters (1 day per week)

Extras - ballet 3x per week, Boy Scouts, church choir, soccer in the fall

Reading list:

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children (excerpts), Harold Bloom, 0684868741

The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli, 0440227798

Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain, 0670869856

The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly, 0689715714

Beowulf: a new telling, Robert Nye, 0440905605

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Allen French, 1604595221

King Arthur and His Knights, Malory/ Elizabeth L. Merchant, (Calvert)

The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White, 0399225021

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green, 0140367004

If All the Swords of England, Barbara Willard, 1883937493

Adam of the Road, Elizabeth Gray, 0142406597

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi, 0786816589 (and sequel -- this one was a favorite)

Catherine Called Birdy, Karen Cushman, 0064405842

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Master Cornhill, Eloise Jarvis McGraw, 1887840001

The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer / McCaughrean , 0140380531

One Thousand and One Nights, Geraldine McCaughrean, 0192750135

The Story of My Life, Helen Keller, 1416500324

The White Stag, Kate Seredy, 0140312587

Tales From Japan, Helen and William McAlpine, 0192751751

The Samurai's Tale, Erik Haugaard, 0618615121

A Single Shard, Linda Sue Park, 0440418518

All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot, 0312330855

Secret of the Andes, Ann Nolan Clark, 0140309268

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz, 0698116380

The Playmaker, J. B. Cheaney, 0440417104

King of Shadows, Susan Cooper, 068984445X

Dante's Divine Comedy as Told for Young People (excerpts), Joseph Tusiani, 1881901297

The Second Mrs. Giaconda, E. L. Konigsburg, 0689821212

Here's a sample week from ds' planner that year:

10424_137590870877_688000877_2668318_5295613_n.jpg

The gray parts are the school times we spent working with another family. The other mom and I would trade off Big Kids and Little Kids for various classes, though Memory and Art were all done together. The kids wrote their homework assignments for Latin, Greek, Logic, or Poetry on the blank lines at the bottom of the page. The SOTW reference just told me what the younger ones were doing that week.

Haven't decided for sure if we're going to homeschool next year or not yet, but here is what I have figured out so far for my 6th grader if we do:

Grammar: Growing With Grammar 6

Writing: undecided

Literature: undecided, but I'll probably make a list and have him read through it, discussing it with me and occassionally writing book reports

Spelling: All About Spelling

Math: CLE 600

Science: So You Really Want to Learn Science Book 2 with an experiment kit

History: History Odyssey Level 1 Modern Times

Geography: Evan Moor Daily Geography and maybe Mapping the World with Art

Logic: probably Mindbenders and books like that

I need to figure out something for art and music that will consistently get done. They have been a total flop this year. I'm looking into the Idiot's Guide to Music History.

abbeyej - I know I've asked you this before but what did you use to make that beautiful planner? And do you do it a year in advance or months or weeks? How large is the page? Is it digital only or do you print it?

Thanks,

capt Uhura

This is just made in Word using tables. I can send the template if you'll PM me your email address.

It fills one letter-sized sheet of paper (landscape) and I print the pages out for the kids to use and check off.

Last year, for 6th, I did the whole thing in advance and had it printed and spiral bound at Kinko's (I guess it isn't Kinko's anymore, huh?) with a plastic cover, etc. It was a lot of work at the beginning of the year, but SUCH a blessing over the course of that year. *But* I found that there were occasionally things I wanted to tweak or add over the course of the year. So this year I did *most* of that work ahead of time, but there are a couple of things I fiddle with before printing 1-2 weeks at a time. (I have to do this even more with my younger one, and I remember having to change things more when ds was smaller as well. I'm not sure I could print out a whole year's worth of assignments before 5th or 6th grade, since you just can't predict the peaks and plateaus in learning skill subjects as well before that point.)

Don't hold me to this.... :tongue_smilie:

DS10 for 6th grade (then 11)

Math: MM 6A/6B, CWP5,6 (challenging problems only)

Literature: LL7/8, LLfLOTR (middle ages portion), history books from Middle Ages

Science: Earth Science as core w/ a textbook and outside reading and experiments and perhaps Runkle Geography. Continue with Exploration Education physical science kit.

Language Arts: Grammar Voyage, Practice Voyage, Poetry book, CEII, WWS, PBW, Paragraph Town, outlining/rewriting from history and science, SWR, misc writing curricula for problem areas (Igniting Your Writing, etc)

Logic: Critical Thinking Book 1? Fallacy detective? Art of Argument?

History: K12HO, maybe History Odyssey level 2 Middle Ages

Art: art appreciation, pottery, cartooning

Music: appreciation....might try to find lessons for an instrument

PE: Travel soccer, TKD, hiking, etc

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Abbeyej, could you also post a pic of your planner for *this* year and what you've made for next? :)

Okay, here's a sample from this year... You'll notice it looks awfully familiar. ;)

The history assignments are written out on a separate sheet of paper, so the main assignment sheet just lists the readings. On the other page it will tell the student what to outline or summarize, etc.

I put in a space for geometry, 'cause at one point I thought I would transfer the information from Derek's syllabus to our assignment book. Ha! That lasted a couple of weeks. The lines at the bottom are for writing in additional homework assignments: Latin, Greek, logic, etc... Or even for recording field trips or any little extras.

184787_10150113420660878_688000877_6628024_4140117_n.jpg

I've begun work on next year, but don't really have much to show for it yet. :)

where is the planner from? This is exactly the kind I am wanting.

I just made it in Word. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you the template I made for another friend, and you can see if it's easier to tweak mine than start from scratch. :)

This year my 6th grader has done:

Religion: Faith & Life 6 & An Overview of Catholic History (sold by Trisms)

History/Geography/Literature: WP Quest for Ancient w/ readers and Trisms History Makers

Latin: English From the Roots Up

Spelling: Spelling Works ! ( WP LA) & Free worksheets from the net

Math: MUS Intermediate & free worksheets from the net

Science:Real Science for Kids Biology & science in WP Ancients

English: Easy Grammar 5/6 & free worksheets from the net

Vocabulary:Free worksheets from the net

Writing Trisms assignments & WP LA Writing assignments

Picture Study/ Classical Music/Nature Study: from AO

Reading:Catholic National Reader

It's all gone very well, so for 7th I'm planning to move to the next level for everything.

I haven't decide if DD10 is in 4th or 5th right now. So she will either be in 5th or 6th next school year.

I'm in the same place with dd10. So next year she'll be an older 5th or young 6th...

Grammar - Voyage grammar and Killgallon Story Grammar if we haven't finished it this spring.

Vocabulary- Caesar's English II

Literature - Jamestown Best Short Stories

Spelling - Sequential Spelling

Writing- Paragraph Town, Writing with Skill as soon as it's done and maybe Pattern-Based Writing to fill in

Math- Singapore 6a/b, CWP

History- K12HO as spine, historical lit & videos

Science- Exploration Education

Logic- Grid Perplexors

Spanish- 2nd half of Spanish the Easy Way

German- German Sat. School

Art- ??? Who knows.

Music- piano, flute, chorus

Extracurriculars: most likely gymnastics, theater, swimming.

Edited by matroyshka

Still figuring it all out here, but I'll type up where I'm at so far. The process of doing so will surely help me more than anyone else! I think this is probably more than we can get done, but it's everything I'm thinking about now.

Math: Singapore 6A/6B/CWP 6, Life of Fred Decimals & Percents, Problem of the Week from Math Forum at Drexel (probably). Some Horizons 6A/B.

Latin: Latin Alive 1

Greek: Greek for Children

Spanish: Probably begin Spanish for Children B

History: Biblioplan Medieval, Renaissance, and Reformation

English: MCT Voyage level, R&S 6, possibly some R&S spelling, possibly other writing like WWS if it comes out. Also Editor in Chief.

Literature--something but I don't know what yet.

Science: No idea yet. Tempted to do Lego Robotics and call it science for awhile!

Art: It always gets dropped, so probably doesn't matter much! Maybe we'll finish the Phonics of Drawing we're supposed to be doing this year. Probably some art appreciation as part of history.

Logic: I have Art of Argument. May look at doing it this summer??

Music: piano lessons. May look at doing band with the public school.

P.E.: ballet all year, still doing swim lessons, softball in spring

Bible: undecided. Biblical doctrine? Catechism? Something else? Church history will be part of history.

Guest Momlovesbooks

We are going to do:

Bible- Jashub's Journal

Math- Saxon 7/6

History- Civil War and Middle Ages study using living books

Science- Astronomy with Apologia as spine, and living books on Galileo and Copernicus

Grammar- Primary language Lessons, copywork, dictation

Writing- Outlines and written narrations from History and Science Readings

I am not sure on Foreign languages/Latin yet.

We are still working on 6th grade through this summer, but have used so far and will be using in the summer:

Math: Key To books in Fractions, Decimals, Percents and LOF Fractions and Decimals/Percents

Grammar: Growing with Grammar and various grammar workbooks (thinking about adding Giggles in the Middle for fun)

Spelling/Vocabulary: Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary and English From the Roots Up

Literature: Reading whatever floats our boat. Next year we will try Lightning Lit.

Writing: Igniting Your Writing and Wordsmith Apprentice

History: Originally we did WP QMA, but did not finish it. Planning on trying something new, possibly either TRISMS History Makers or Oak Meadow

Science: Started Elements from McHenry, after we finish that, might go into either CPO Life Science or Elemental Science Life Science for Logic Stage

This is what I have so far for ds11:

HOD Rome to Reformation which includes science, Bible, some Art & music, Geography, Literature using DITHOR, poetry and History

Singapore Math 5A/B

R&S English 5

SYRWTL Spanish (possibly)

I would like to add some sort of music appreciation...perhaps just a composer study

Phonics of Drawing

That's it so far.

Thanks for all these helpful replies.

Here is my more "organized" list.

Bible: Bible Reading, Journal, Finish Proverbs People, HOD RTR

Literature:no formal study this year. Lots of excellent free reads, finish LOTR with me. Read HOD RTR History and Extensions. Shakespeare and Poetry study with RTR.

History:HOD RTR

Science: Abeka 6; posssibly RTR choices

Grammar/Writing: switching from Rod and Staff for the year due to our twins to BJU 6 for English and Writing (also switching from WWE for the year.)

Math: Saxon 7/6; Calculadder Drills

Spelling: Building Spelling Skills 6 and Spelling Wisdom

dictation

Vocabulary/language development: Wordly Wise

Music: continue piano lessons

Art: fine art exposure and HOD lessons

Typing: Typing Instructor Deluxe

I think he probably should have Latin... but I don't know of any program that is not teacher intensive, do you?

Also- I do not have logic.

Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca
forgot wordly wise

• 1 month later...

Here's our current plans for 6th grade - still finishing up 5th so this could change!

Math - AoPS Pre-Algebra (not the online class, probably), no idea if this will take all year or just a semester not having seen the book yet tho! We're switching from Saxon PreAlgebra, which she is finishing up now.

English -Saxon Grammar & Writing 6, plus an hour of reading on her own of her own choice of books every day, and I will continue reading aloud to her every day from MY choice of books. Still deciding for writing - IEW? Bravewriter? Online class or work on our own? Still deciding....

History - SOTW 4, with lots of historical fiction to supplement and the test booklet, and using the ABCOQ method of note-taking

Science - Holt Science and Technology Physical Science AND our co-op is doing Joy Hakim's The Story of Science all year, so I'm planning on syncing the two up together as much as I can.

Latin - Latin for Children 2

Chinese - continue with the tutor we have worked with for 6 years.

No orders have been placed, so there's still plenty of time for me to change my mind, but we're planning...

math - CLE7

grammar/spelling - CLE6

writing - IEW Medieval History-based

reading - CLE7

lit - TWTM

logic - Logic Lift-off, Fallacy Detective

history - History Odyssey Middle Ages Lvl 2

geography - ??

science - Elemental Science Bio Logic Stage

Spanish - Starting Out in Spanish

Latin - ?? likely First Form

art - Atelier

Bible -??

music - piano and choir

p.e. - soccer and swimming

ok, I'll play. this is for next year. My son will be 11

Language Arts:

Grammar: ALL (as soon as I can buy it)

Writing: Writing with Skill and the PHP creative writing book (as soon as I can buy them)

Spelling: Spelling Workout (our last year)

Lit: Reading list a la WTM. Actual content TBD

Math:

Singapore Math 6a/6b

LOF

Latin:

Big Book 2

Spanish:

Galore Park series with the long name

Logic:

I have no clue. I am open. We finished the logic liftoff series. I have no idea where to go from here.

History:

History Odyssey. Year 2 level 2. This is our first time with HO. I will be subbing for the Van Loon book when possible and adding in the Hakim Story of Science books when they fit.

Science:

CPO Earth and Space. It will be great or it will be an epic disaster. I am leaning towards disaster these days. I also have "how the world works' and 'how the universe works' if I need an intervention. Always have an exit strategy.

We also have stuff like Piano and Flute lessons, Ballet and Tae Kwon Do, musical theater company etc

Do you see any glaring holes?