Menu

Any tricks to breathing treatments for toddler?

I just took my dd to the doctor today to find out that she has pneumonia :sad: I have never had to administer a breathing treatment before. The doctor showed me how. Is there a trick to administering a breathing treatment to a toddler? Or is it just hold a toddler tight with the mask on their face and watch them scream for 10 minutes?

I just took my dd to the doctor today to find out that she has pneumonia :sad: I have never had to administer a breathing treatment before. The doctor showed me how. Is there a trick to administering a breathing treatment to a toddler? Or is it just hold a toddler tight with the mask on their face and watch them scream for 10 minutes?

Oddly enough for us, the toddler didn't scream for the whole time. He complained and fought for the first minute or so, but once the breathing improved from the treatments he seemed to relax for the remainder of the time. I bought a mask that was shaped like a dragon. I called him "fire breather" when he did it and made a game of breathing fire like a dragon with a mirror close by so he could watch the smoke. I played "Dragon Tales" on the tv while we ran the nebulizer to carry on the theme. :)

I hope she feels better soon!!

My only problem is that I have to administer breathing treatments every 4 hours. That means middle of the night and nap time treatments :crying:

Can't you just hold the mask next to her face so that's she's inhaling the med while she's sleeping (w/o waking her)?

You could try letting her play w/the mask before starting the treatment, put it on a favorite stuffed toy, etc.

Good luck, I hope your little girl is better soon.

You may have to hold them down for a while (on your lap, arms around) but eventually, after a few treatments, they do get used to it, and they will do it willingly (I have some incredibly stubborn kids, and some unpleasant treatments, but they all cooperate once they understand that it's not that bad and it may actually make them feel better; all six of my kids have done them at one time or another). Time the treatments to take place before naptime, not during. 4 hours is not exactly hard and fast - nothing bad will happen if it's 3.5 or 3. Whether I'd go beyond 4 depends on the status of the child - sure if they're on the mend, no if they're super sick, just came from the doc and on oral steroids. Definitely plan one for just before bedtime, to minimize the getting up in the night. After a few days, they're usually well enough to only have one treatment during the night, and then none during the night. It all depends on the severity of the illness.

And yes, defiinitely TV!

Is there a trick to administering a breathing treatment to a toddler?

Honestly, we didn't have much trouble administering breathing treatments. Once I told my son he'd sound like Darth Vader on Star Wars, it was a cake walk. LOL :lol:

Truthfully, I found it easiest to just put on the tv and let them watch tv while the mask is on. It was just enough of a distraction to keep my kids sitting still.

We read a book, did a puzzle, played with blocks...anything to entertain him.

My only problem is that I have to administer breathing treatments every 4 hours. That means middle of the night and nap time treatments :crying:

They want you to wake a sleeping child?? :001_huh:

Can't you just hold the mask next to her face so that's she's inhaling the med while she's sleeping (w/o waking her)?

You could try letting her play w/the mask before starting the treatment, put it on a favorite stuffed toy, etc.

Good luck, I hope your little girl is better soon.

I think that it's easiest to administer breathing treatments to sleeping children. I just take the mask off & put the tub attachment on & hold it next to their noses so they're breathing it in. And mine didn't mind waking treatments too much... they were used to my grandmother having to do them & it was like a grown up/pretend "game" for them.

My little guy used to fight and that actually helps deliver the meds deeply into the lungs which is good. He now sits quietly. You can take the mask off and just blow it in their face while sleeping to get it done during the night. Good luck!

I have dealt with this a lot. My twins have had horrible asthma since birth and they used to scream a lot for neb treatments, especially when they were very sick. All the PPs ideas have been great but yes sometimes you just have to deal with ten minutes of screaming while holding them tight, with the tv up to a ridiculous volume hoping they will watch it at some point and can hear it over the neb, all the while wanting to rip out your own hair.

The TV really distracted my children sometimes. Letting them play with it helped them get familiar with it. If they were asleep I would NEVER wake them up if possible! (Some kids wake up easily, I know.) However, the sicker my kids were they more it upset them. I honestly think they feel like I am trying to suffocate them when they already feel like they can't breathe. If nothing else feel comforted that if they are screaming they are actually inhaling the medicine deeper into their lungs than they normally would. Our pulmonologist says, "Let them scream, they'll get better more quickly." (Don't know if that is actually true, just what he says.)

My dd is a bit older (she was about 3 when we needed nighttime neb). I made up a character and told her serial, cliffhanger stories about this character. She always looked forward to the next session, because I would not tell her "the rest of the story" until the next breathing treatment! It stretched my brain but at least I had four hours to dream up the next episode...! Three years later, that character still comes out. We now refer to these as the "Pulmicort Stories."

Don't be tempted to skip that night time treatment if the doc has instructed you to do it. Cortisol levels are lower at night which means the airways can be more affected (I believe they kind of go slack?). Anyway, you want to be sure to keep them open at night. I have had a little one sleep right through it, I just used a mask with a pinched off nose so s/he would breathe through his/her mouth and help them upright in my lap. Not as good as a well-awake child for getting the treatment in deep, but still helpful!

Beyond the advice that you've already been given (tv, while sleeping, etc.), I found that my current toddler likes to sit upright with a soft pillow behind her. A few minutes into it, when she's breathing better, she'll relax and fall asleep because of the blowing air sensation & the buzz of the nebulizer.

My now 5 year old really had to have chocolate milk afterwards.

My ^dd^ screamed hysterically each time until she was 4-5.

My oldest really wanted to watch tv.

Hopefully you'll find something that works for your child. :grouphug: I have always found it a consoling thought that if they are screaming bloody murder they are at least getting good air into their lungs. :)

Truthfully, I found it easiest to just put on the tv and let them watch tv while the mask is on. It was just enough of a distraction to keep my kids sitting still.

This worked for us. My son has asthma so breathing treatments have been a way of life for us. I'd set him on my lap and he'd watch a video.

During the night, I found he was too tired to fight it. I'd hold him, he would generally fall asleep, and the treatment would be over before we knew it. Nap time? I usually worked around nap time.

three of my kids have asthma, I have my own nebulizer machine. What worked when they were little, was to have special movies they could pick and watch. screen time is pretty limited here, so it was a treat. For the middle of the night treatments, I would read a book with them, or color with them or just snuggle if they were sleepy. Some of the toddler masks have a cute fish painted on it w/ stickers to play with.

it helped the very first time to put the mask on myself and dad so they could see it didn't hurt.

TV. Sometimes they have special animal masks that make them look like a piggy, etc. Sometimes this is a distraction though and they want to keep taking the mask off to look at it. Honestly, I cradled my toddler tightly and let him scream until he got used to it. I was desperate at the beginning though and would let him nurse with the mist blowing in his face. He didn't get the entire dose, but it was better than nothing.

By the time my second needed treatments, he was so used to watching his brother that I had no problems with compliance. So, I guess that was the one good thing about having 2 asthmatic boys.

She will get more meds if she is really screaming. But I know that can break a mama's heart. :(

Maybe let her watch a silly video on your laptop or phone. Especially if that is something you don't normally do. Give her a bunch of stickers and a piece of bright paper. Some sort of distraction that is out of the ordinary may distract her for awhile.

And yes, I would do a blow by treatment while she sleeps in the middle of the night. My kids sleep through it. Hard to believe, that thing is loud!

:grouphug: Hope she feels better soon.

I had to give breathing treatments to my younger son when he was 10 weeks old. We didn't use a mask. Instead, we put the tube directly under his nose (without allowing it to touch him) and let him inhale the treatment. It was far less complicated and scary that way.