Menu

The Invisible Poor

In the last 12 months has your immediate family:  

1. 1. In the last 12 months has your immediate family:

• Faced unemployment lasting over 30 days
    • Received public assistance for food/housing expenses
    • Had a home foreclosed or car repossessed
    • Cut back/out activities/academic purchases for your children
    • Not taken a real vacation (you define real)
    • Cut back/out your normal entertainment expenses
    • declined invitations/not hosted parties/get togethers
    • Not sought medical tx when needed because of lack of money
    • Had to put regular monthly expenses on credit cards
    • Other

I only had to check a few boxes, thankfully. Both dh and I each started new pt jobs, though. Though neither one brings in tons of money (certainly not enough to live on), the extra income does help us tremendously. Scheduling 4 jobs and 3 kids gets a little tricky, but I am thankful that we've been able to do this.

On the up side, the tighter budget has made us much better stewards of our resources. The kids gave up some extra activities that just weren't adding that much value to them. Now we're only paying for what they really want to do - and enjoying a lot more time together as a family. Dh is also now much more on board with curbing expenses and saving more money.

The only one I didn't check was the house/car one, because we rent and because we sold our car to pay for moving expenses. Last year was rather tight. We're still on a really tight budget, but we can't complain since we have more money than our average neighbor. Our house might be 60 degrees all winter, but at least we have a roof over our heads, glass in the windows, and potatoes and carrots on the table. And I don't have to burn coal to keep the house at 60 degrees.

Now ones close to use have had all of the problems mentioned. We have not yet, (not bragging). But I do see how it is effecting everyone around me.

Little things. Like my teenage son wants to get a part time job, but is not able to find any since all the adults here have the little jobs also. Even mowing lawns, shoveling sidewalks, etc the adults are doing now to just make ends meet. So, I know it is hard for many and I really feel for anyone in these situations.

I do hope things get better for everyone.

I guess I don't think about how the economy is affecting our daily lives like I should. I was surprised at the number of boxes I checked for our family. :(

I think that's a good thing. It sounds to me like you're not dwelling on your setbacks, but that you're making the adjustments as needed and going on with your lives in the most normal possible way.

I checked other because many of these changes we made a few years ago by choice to pay off debt. We have been very fortunate that we have not really been affected by the economic downturn. We are making plans though that when the debt is paid off next year to remain cautious. We are faced with the possibility that I could lose my job this year and if that happens we will have to do without everything extracurricular but so far, I seem to be one of the ones that will be hanging around.

Hmmm. This is a depressing thread! LOL! 3 out of my four children do not have any pants without holes in them. We finally just found shoes without holes for them at the thrift store. We have eaten from 2 large plates, 3 bowls, and two small plates (we have a roommate to help with rent), plus a mis match of 8 total spoons and forks... for I don't know how long, BUT I was just able to some really great dishes at the dollar tree recently so we're doing better in that dept. The bowls and spoons are especially helpful as we do a lot of soup here! I am sick and without medical care and two of my children. I think I've mentioned this here before, but we went from riches to rags during the real estate market crash. We never, ever had credit card debt or spent much money on things/toys or vacations. We were too busy working hard and investing what we made. Things are looking up though, and I am reallllly looking forward to having a few school things for the kids. When I think about having money...I daydream about being well and getting my kids school supplies. :001_smile:

Edited by JENinOR

I haven't read all the responses yet but I checked most of the boxes and other. No unemployment thankfully or forclosures or car repos. Our "lifestyle" has definitely been impacted in a negative way. However, every time I am inclined to throw myself a pity party I remember that we are still in the top 10% of the world's richest people! We have food in our fridge and pantry, clothes in our closets and on our back/shoes on our feet, 2 vehicles and enough money to put gas in both (for now anyway :lol:) and a roof over our heads that at the moment, doesn't leak. We are healthy (for the most part). And we are blessed. And yet, it is still difficult having to cut back so much. Difficult mostly b/c the children feel it so much more than we do...especially attending a mostly upper/middle class sort of church where 90% are far better off than we are. They see friends still doing things and going places they always used to and getting things they always used to get. Like nothing has changed. It gets frustrating having to remind the kids how very blessed we are compared to x country or y family. That makes it tough.

I haven't read all the responses yet but I checked most of the boxes and other. No unemployment thankfully or forclosures or car repos. Our "lifestyle" has definitely been impacted in a negative way. However, every time I am inclined to throw myself a pity party I remember that we are still in the top 10% of the world's richest people! We have food in our fridge and pantry, clothes in our closets and on our back/shoes on our feet, 2 vehicles and enough money to put gas in both (for now anyway :lol:) and a roof over our heads that at the moment, doesn't leak. We are healthy (for the most part). And we are blessed. And yet, it is still difficult having to cut back so much. Difficult mostly b/c the children feel it so much more than we do...especially attending a mostly upper/middle class sort of church where 90% are far better off than we are. They see friends still doing things and going places they always used to and getting things they always used to get. Like nothing has changed. It gets frustrating having to remind the kids how very blessed we are compared to x country or y family. That makes it tough.

That's the kind of attitude we try to take. We're clothed, we're eating, we have a home (thank God & the kindness of others), and if the roof should spring a leak? At least DH can fix it... even if he's not getting as many hours in the actual roofing world as we're comfortable with, he's been able to put those skills to good use around the house this winter!

Of course, all but one of the boxes I checked (I checked 4) I would have checked off every year for the past 5 or so at least. *And* we paid off all of our consumer debt this year (yay). I am amazed at how little we have been able to live on the last few years. I wish we had some more flexibility in our finances and could finally stop living paycheck-to-paycheck for the first time since college, but we've been okay so far. i pray that we will continue to be.

I didn't check as many as I would have if I hadn't been lucky enough to find some work to supplement dh's income. Though things are finally starting to improve there - his income is based partly on sales, and volume of sales is up over what it was this time last year after being on a downward trend 2 years in a row. We're keeping our fingers crossed that it will continue, though I'm not planning on giving up my job anytime soon.

We have always lived somewhat frugally and tried to live below our means. We haven't had a job loss, but with prices increasing, we have had to choose our activities carefully and I always try to buy used curriculum.

Dawn

Can I just say that I really appreciate this thread? I checked quite a few boxes, and our budget is extremely tight right now; this thread is making me feel not so alone, even while I'm grateful for what we *do* have and know that it definitely could be worse.

Me too.

Can I just say that I really appreciate this thread? I checked quite a few boxes, and our budget is extremely tight right now; this thread is making me feel not so alone, even while I'm grateful for what we *do* have and know that it definitely could be worse.

That was one of the reasons I posted. We're in the same boat. When there are only certain people IRL that know your situation it can feel lonely. My dh has been pretty down. I showed him the polls results and I think it helped him feel not so discouraged. So thank you all that have been so honest.

Paula, do you think the pinch you're feeling is in part due to the higher cost of living in your new location? I know between taxes, produce prices, the need for more clothing and higher utilities costs, our move north left me feeling pretty much suddenly broke.

Paula, do you think the pinch you're feeling is in part due to the higher cost of living in your new location? I know between taxes, produce prices, the need for more clothing and higher utilities costs, our move north left me feeling pretty much suddenly broke.

No, not at all. Dh's business basically fell apart when the oil spill happened last year. By the time we left he hadn't worked in the state at all for several months. He had been coming back to MO to work for family, that's all he could get. Because we are had only been down there a few years the move back wasn't drastic.

Also when we moved we cut our housing expenses by more than 60% (and they weren't excessive before), we're in a smaller town that has a fairly low cost of living. That and being closer to supportive family has been our saving grace. Work is starting to trickle in, but the snow storms haven't helped. :glare:

No, not at all. Dh's business basically fell apart when the oil spill happened last year. By the time we left he hadn't worked in the state at all for several months. He had been coming back to MO to work for family, that's all he could get. Because we are had only been down there a few years the move back wasn't drastic.

Also when we moved we cut our housing expenses by more than 60% (and they weren't excessive before), we're in a smaller town that has a fairly low cost of living. That and being closer to supportive family has been our saving grace. Work is starting to trickle in, but the snow storms haven't helped. :glare:

Sounds like you have a good situation in the Midwest!

I will say that, though I checked several of those boxes, things here in the metro suburbs seemed... well, pretty insulated from what was going on last year. Over the winter we've started feeling it more keenly, though, and there have been quite a few foreclosures in our neighborhood. We were thinking of downsizing but our house value has fallen too much for that to help. I think other posters were correct to point out that some people were still running on credit -- here we've just started to see the end of the line for some.

Hoping your dh gets lots of work scheduled soon - spring is just around the corner!

What's amazing is how understanding people have become, or perhaps I'm just more sensitive to it now. Our kitten became ill Friday, Saturday he was unresponsive. The moble vet (God bless her!) took care of the kitty and me. She's putting off payment, letting me pay a bit at a time. It's hard to grieve when there are so many blessings.

It sounds stupid... until you're there. I pushed back buying new clothes until I was left with (now) 1 pair of black slacks, 1 pair of sweats, and 1 pair of yoga capris. I feel your pain.

Ironically, it means I'm dressing nicer in general :p I've got my two skirts and a pair of dress pants. People now assume I'm doing well :lol:

I did the same thing and wound up having to wear my slippers to the store to buy shoes. :001_rolleyes::001_unsure:

How did I know you would understand?

:lol: I'm not laughing at, I'm laughing with...my glasses are currently being held together by a band-aid. Yes, a band-aid. And they've been that way since the summer of 2009. It's amazing what you can fix with a band-aid. At least it's not in the front and I can kind of hide it with my hair. New glasses were on the list of things to get with our income tax refund but more pressing things came up and....well, at least I can still see.

I checked all but 2 boxes.

Here's another box for you...Do you have to put off errands til payday because there is no.gas.for.the.car? I'm talking in town errands for in town people. I don't know what we would do if we lived out of town. :tongue_smilie:

I'm right there with you (errands put off for gas). It's so nice not to feel alone :D

:iagree:

We have always lived somewhat frugally and tried to live below our means.

:iagree:

You know my hubby tell me stories about his dad (who was a very well off inventor) that just make me wish I had been able to meet the man. He wore the cheapest shoes he could find and drank the cheapest beer. He would only chew 1/2 stick of gum at a time. Dh is like his father in many ways...very frugal. I have always admired this about them.

Hmmm. This is a depressing thread! LOL! 3 out of my four children do not have any pants without holes in them. We finally just found shoes without holes for them at the thrift store. We have eaten from 2 large plates, 3 bowls, and two small plates (we have a roommate to help with rent), plus a mis match of 8 total spoons and forks... for I don't know how long, BUT I was just able to some really great dishes at the dollar tree recently so we're doing better in that dept. The bowls and spoons are especially helpful as we do a lot of soup here! I am sick and without medical care and two of my children. I think I've mentioned this here before, but we went from riches to rags during the real estate market crash. We never, ever had credit card debt or spent much money on things/toys or vacations. We were too busy working hard and investing what we made. Things are looking up though, and I am reallllly looking forward to having a few school things for the kids. When I think about having money...I daydream about being well and getting my kids school supplies. :001_smile:

I just bought a few $1 bowls today as my dish supply is about the same as yours.

I opened this thread thinking that there was no way we could be considered poor and then was absolutely shocked by how many boxes I checked. We still have a job, a house, a car, food to eat and a few extras like internet and cell and I am incredibly thankful that we are doing as well as we are.

It sounds stupid... until you're there. I pushed back buying new clothes until I was left with (now) 1 pair of black slacks, 1 pair of sweats, and 1 pair of yoga capris. I feel your pain.

I have a few pair of pjs and one pair of black knit pants that I can wear out.

I have a few pair of pjs and one pair of black knit pants that I can wear out.

Another blessing that this baby has brought -- my regular clothes are extending their wear because I'm wearing my maternity clothes instead! (Most of which are good, simple, sturdy, yet attractive, pieces that I bought on sale during my first pregnancy, and even the fourth time around, they are still being worn and still looking good.)

:grouphug: To so many of you -- May 2011 be a better year for you.

I thought that we were "living tight," but I can honestly say that this poll encouraged me. It put things into perspective. I only could check off one box -- "no vacation" -- and even that is about to change. My husband's brother has invited us to join him in his timeshare for a week in the Shenandoah Valley (VA) in late spring. It should be beautiful there, and we love spending time with him.

We haven't had anything repossessed. We have paid all our bills, on time, including our ridiculous mortgage (we bought five years ago). Even though our house isn't worth what we owe on it, we have still had a place to live, and that is worth something unquantifiable.

We have been able to feed our children, clothe them, and educate them at home. We have been able to remain a one-income family, with a mother at home full-time. We have two decent vehicles that are in good shape, insured, and full of fuel. We have utilities, internet, and phone.

Our children had presents for Christmas and birthdays (through many generous sources) ;), and they don't really lack for anything (except a sandbox, which we will build in the spring). In fact, they've had some fun activities lately that last year would have been out of reach.

So, actually, this year (so far) has been better for us in many ways. And I do think that we have managed our finances better than we did when all the girls were babies and we were overwhelmed with that. So, it's gotten better for us.

I do hope and pray that it will get better for all of you, too. :grouphug:

Yes, we cut back on essentials but it is so we can afford a new vehicle and maybe even go on a vacation this year. (We have never been on a vacation before.) We even bought our first home this fall and we are getting a 6-yr old "new" car this week, to replace the one that's broken down in the driveway. I feel like we are doing well!

We are lower middle class and have spent the last 5 years getting out of debt and driving $500 cars, so we will be ok as long as we can keep our jobs. And oh, that is the question - but we don't have the type of jobs where turnover is high.

I should've clicked on "other" as well as the few that we faced. Dh lost his good-paying job two years ago and was hired by a small company within 30 days of that layoff, however that job paid about 60% less than his 'career' job. We had to cut out A LOT. He had that job for a year and was then re-hired into his career industry. We're still trying to get back to where we were before the initial layoff.

I had to pick other because we are doing things basically the same way we did a few years ago, but not because our financial situation has changed. We never have really taken a vacation, other than maybe a weekend away once a year. We shop at Aldi, buy used clothes, etc. Right now we have the lowest of cable bills because I was tired of all the choices and bickering about tv.

Alison