Menu

Stretching meats in recipes?

Things are needing to get leaner around here, layoffs are starting and they are closing part of the business where dh works. I have started decreasing meats, changing to more beans and whole foods style cooking, mostly for the health benefits. Next will be less meat meals altogether, that may be a later post...:001_smile:

I already use 3/4 # hamburger in 1 # hamburger recipes. How do you stretch 1/2 # hamburger to make dinners while maintaining the texture or thickness of sauces/ dishes, or is this not possible? Do you add beans to a recipe as a substitute? Thickener?

I would like to stretch our meat more...

I add cooked rice to my hamburger when making tacos. It comes out to about half meat/half rice.

I add sauce when I'm making spaghetti.

If a casserole recipe calls for 2 pounds of hamburger, I use 1 pound and add more of the starch - macaroni, noodles, rice or whatever.

You can substitute lentils for hamburger as well. Just make sure they simmer long enough to get soft. Crunchy lentils are not fun.

Filler for chili: beans, veggies

Filler for spaghetti sauce: veggies

Filler for stir fry: tofu

I'm not a great cook, obviously, but I hope I get points for trying! May I ask... do you add corn to chili? What veggies do you add to spaghetti? I can honestly say that I have never eaten nor prepared tofu, so that is a big unknown.

I add cooked cracked wheat to my ground meat recipes. When I add it to, say, taco meat or sheppherd's pie, I can hardly taste a difference. I haven't tried it in meatloaf yet, but I think it could work, so long as it wasn't replacing too much of the meat. :)

I'm not a great cook, obviously, but I hope I get points for trying! May I ask... do you add corn to chili? What veggies do you add to spaghetti? I can honestly say that I have never eaten nor prepared tofu, so that is a big unknown.

IDK about the pp, but to chili, I add corn and carrots. And to spaghetti sauce, again with the carrots, plus onions, mushrooms, & green peppers.

We had to start this transition towards the end of summer. I started by adding the starches - rice, pasta, potatoes.

One night per week, we have baked potato dinner. I cook them in the crockpot to keep from running the gas oven. I serve them with cheese, sour cream, butter, steamed broccoli. If bacon is on sale, I'll cook up a few piece and crumble that.

Pasta. My spaghetti recipe calls for 2 lbs of hamburger. I only use one and stretch the sauce.

Rice is a great mix in. It is a good filler for tacos, soups, stews, side dishes. We do steamed veggies with rice too.

Dried beans of course are good stretches too. I add lentils and rice to many soups. Start simple and branch out

I add shredded zuccini to meatballs (tell the children it's oregano).

Makes the dinner healthier

makes the meatball more tender

makes the meat go further

I use the "london broil cut (whatever THAT is) for LOTS of things

Freeze it and slice it paper thin with a mandolin slicer (this can be used for stir fry, strognoff, etc...) the part you cannot slice (without being fingerless) is chopped up small and made into veg/bf stew, the fat is fed to the dog with her dinner (a little bit at a time after cooking it)

buy chicken whole-- there is lots of meat on the carcass!-- use the carcass for broth. Also great for Dog food supplement.

Lara

For spaghetti sauce, I use 1/2 lb ground beef (but I cook a whole pound and freeze half). I use cheap jarred sauce, but I "doctor" it with herbs (oregano, basil, etc). I add a can of crushed tomatoes, and this really helps with the texture and thickness of the sauce. If it comes out too watery, I add 1/2-1 small can of tomato paste, but only at the end of cooking.

I find that making meatloaf, even with fillers added, is not a good use of ground beef if I'm trying to make it stretch. It just takes so much beef that can be more easily spread out in other dishes.

I know you asked about ground beef, but chicken can easily be spread out into multiple meals if you make a casserole. I am an unashamed "cream of-" sauce fan, and I make a chicken & rice casserole with chopped chicken breast (chops easily when frozen & then partially thawed), rice, a Tbsp. or so of olive oil, cream of mushroom soup & water.

I find myself not making things like Tacos simply because I need to make 1# so it stretches far enough. Instead I make a pan of nachos in the oven with a couple of chicken tenders sliced very very thin or just a very small amount of ground beef. I can then add in as much beans, lettuce, tomatoes, etc as I want. When I make nachos no one notices the small amount of meat, but if I make tacos my dh and ds seem to think that a certain amount of meat must be in every taco.

I also tend to make lots of Asian stir fry type meals because they rely on thinly cutt smll pieces of meat with lots of veggies and rice or noodles.

I add cooked cracked wheat to my ground meat recipes. :)

Where does one find cracked wheat? I have whole wheat berries and occasionally grind them in my KitchenAid attachment to add to baked goods, 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour. Can I get cracked wheat from whole berries, or do I need to buy this? How is it then cooked?

Where does one find cracked wheat? I have whole wheat berries and occasionally grind them in my KitchenAid attachment to add to baked goods, 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour. Can I get cracked wheat from whole berries, or do I need to buy this? How is it then cooked?

Cracked wheat is just partially ground wheat. You can crack it in your KA. :) I cook mine similar to rice. 2c. boiling water + 1c. cracked wheat for 15-20 minutes.

To spaghetti sauce I use bell peppers, summer squash or zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic.... I make my own sauce. It is pretty easy and not really more expensive than jarred sauce unless you are using fresh tomatoes in the middle of winter.

To chili I add bell peppers, random other peppers, onions, sometimes corn, a little carrot, a little celery, tons of beans (I like to use different kinds of beans) My chili is very colorful.

When I make tacos I add onions and beans to the meat. Then *I* prepare the tacos at the counter and place plates already made up on the table. It might seem a bit control freakish but my dh also seems to think taco/burritos mean "meat fest!!" :lol:

I usually have guacomole and rice with tacos/burritos

If one is talking healthwise when I buy meat I like to mix it with 1/2 beef and 1/2 ground turkey before I freeze it

Edited by Sis

I do not add corn to chili. But, I do use peppers, onions and carrots. I also serve it with cornbread that contains whole corn.

I make spaghetti from scratch, and I use whatever veggies I have on hand. Carrots, peppers, onions and zucchini are typical.

Buy the extra firm tofu, drain it really well, and dry it off. For stir fry I cut it into cubes, season with some soy sauce, dredge it and stir fry it before I cook everything else, putting it back in at the end.

I am not a fan of cream of soups, especially when you are on a budget. I agree with the pp about learning some classic techniques like deglacing a pan or making a bechamel sauce. It's cheaper, tastier and healthier than canned soup. It is quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/bechamel-sauce-recipe/index.html

Eta: I also agree with Sis, adding healthy fats like olives or avocados will make you feel fuller.

I do not add corn to chili. But, I do use peppers, onions and carrots. I also serve it with cornbread that contains whole corn.

I make spaghetti from scratch, and I use whatever veggies I have on hand. Carrots, peppers, onions and zucchini are typical.

Buy the extra firm tofu, drain it really well, and dry it off. For stir fry I cut it into cubes, season with some soy sauce, dredge it and stir fry it before I cook everything else, putting it back in at the end.

I am not a fan of cream of soups, especially when you are on a budget. I agree with the pp about learning some classic techniques like deglacing a pan or making a bechamel sauce. It's cheaper, tastier and healthier than canned soup. It is quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/bechamel-sauce-recipe/index.html

Eta: I also agree with Sis, adding healthy fats like olives or avocados will make you feel fuller.

It's as simple as this:

equal amounts of butter and flour + 4x the amount of the butter and flour combined (for a medium consistency).

So... to make 2 cups of white sauce:

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

Melt butter in sauce pan, whisk in flour. Cook over medium-high heat while whisking for at least one minute. Slowly add 2 cups milk whisking all the time. Continue cooking until sauce comes to a boil, then boil while whisking for another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

That's it. You can make it thicker or thinner by using more or less milk.

Instead of adding carb fillers, try playing with your recipe collection and including more recipes that use less meat naturally. Stir-fries are great for this, as are many casseroles.

Add more vegetables to make up for the meat bulk in a recipe. Mushrooms are a very good addition to most meat dishes as they have a texture that is chewier like meat. Some mushrooms taste "meatier" than others, so try different kinds.

One thing I really like is salads with grilled chicken or steak on top. One 1/2 pound steak or one large (or two very small) chicken breast is more than enough to divide between the 3 of us on big plates of lettuces and vegetables.

What Audrey said. You can add things too. If I am using it as a soup base I often do part chicken stock and part milk. You can add celery or mushrooms or whatever for flavor. It's a SIN that cream of soups caused this basic knowledge to be lost to so many people.

Oh, you just know what to say to make me love you, don't you? ;)

To OP: that same white sauce is also your base for cheese sauce. Want to fill your family up with no meat, but a good amount of protein? Make a big batch of white sauce, add cheese and chopped steamed vegetables (broccoli and carrots are our fave) for a creamy cheesy vegetable soup.

Also, FWIW that unsweetened coconut milk by so delicious in the green box makes a decent bechamel sauce if you are allergic to milk.

I agree that basic skills really help keep costs down. I make most things from scratch, I have had to learn due to allergies and intolerances but it does save me money.

I do think it is really useful to make your own stock. When I make chicken I just toss the carcass in a crockpot with onion celery, carrots (I don't cut them very well :lol: I just kind of break them and toss them in) and cook it overnight then strain when it is done. If I am not making soup then I freeze it in ice cube trayers and keep them in bags in the freezer.

Edited by Sis

Eggplant is another meaty vegetable that makes a good main dish. I sometimes make roasted eggplant lasagna and nobody even misses the meat.

Oh, you just know what to say to make me love you, don't you? ;)

:D

To OP: that same white sauce is also your base for cheese sauce. Want to fill your family up with no meat, but a good amount of protein? Make a big batch of white sauce, add cheese and chopped steamed vegetables (broccoli and carrots are our fave) for a creamy cheesy vegetable soup.

I use it as a base for broccoli-cheese soup and baked potato soup. Serve with salad and bread. You have plenty of dairy protein in the soup, so you don't need a meat.

Three ideas:

If you soak your beans all night and they still don't get soft when you cook them, try adding a bit of baking soda to the water. It will fizz. I have to do this where we live, even though it is county water and not a well.

Fats really add to the feeling of satiety from a meal. When you cut back meat, make sure you keep or even add good fats - eggs, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, even lard. Fats also carry flavors better than water-based broths.

Easy two-meal tortilla soup: Put a whole chicken in the crockpot, cover with water, add salt. Let it cook all day. For dinner, remove the chicken from the broth, add salsa (something with smoked tomatoes is amazing), cooked beans, and corn or posole to the broth. Season with "mexican" spices. I like oregano, garlic, and cumin. Remove some meat from the chicken, shred with a fork. Add soup to bowls, add shredded chicken, top with crushed tortilla chips. If cheap and available add cheese, avocados, more salsa, etc. You have most of a chicken left to make a casserole the next night.

I also do something similar to make chicken curry, but I use coconut milk and indian-type seasonings and toppings.

Good luck!

I can make a white sauce. I just can't season it well. "Season to taste..." I need the amount of salt to add. ;)

Well.... I could tell you 1/2 tsp., but that might not be enough for you, or it would be too much. If you're unsure, just start with a 1/4 tsp. salt and then taste it. If it's not enough, add another pinch or two until it tastes right. I think of recipes as ideas, not rules written in stone. Add what you like. Leave out what you don't. Make it yours!

It's as simple as this:

equal amounts of butter and flour + 4x the amount of the butter and flour combined (for a medium consistency).

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

Melt butter in sauce pan, whisk in flour. Cook over medium-high heat while whisking for at least one minute. Slowly add 2 cups milk whisking all the time. Continue cooking until sauce comes to a boil, then boil while whisking for another minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Thank you so much for this recipe. You see, I still completely rely on recipes. I make a white sauce for fish similar to this recipe, but I had never thought to expand upon this for a "cream of soup" base... for lack of a recipe maybe :001_smile:? I have got to learn how to cook better!

I'm trying the bean soak again. I'm making 15 bean soup in the crockpot tomorrow. I'm soaking the beans in just water as we "speak". Tomorrow I will brown 1/2 # hamburger, add the seasonings and let it cook all day. I work tomorrow so the family will be the guinea pigs...:001_smile:

Oh, BTW, I have red cabbage, can I add that too? Do I need to do anything with it? (It was to be used for a chemistry experiment).

Edited by bnbacademy

It's as simple as this:

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

It's a SIN that cream of soups caused this basic knowledge to be lost to so many people.
:iagree:

--Use olive oil instead of butter for a smoother consistency and healthier fat. Especially nice for mac-and-cheese.

--Use chicken broth instead of milk when making chicken pot pie or other chicken dishes where you want a "chicken gravy" sort of sauce.

--Use beef broth instead of milk when you're making shepard's pie (cottage pie) or some kind of beef-over-noodles dish.

--Use coconut milk instead of milk, and a bit of curry powder, when you're making a fruity curry with apples and raisins and chicken.

--Use milk and add cheese to make a cheese sauce for macaroni or broccoli. Season with a little mustard and a little curry powder.

--Saute some onion and/or garlic and/or celery in the oil/butter before adding the flour. Nice for a savory sauce or a mac cheese.

For the meat stretching -

Use carrots, onions, garlic, celery, corn, and tomatoes in chili.

Use carrots, onions, celery, and perhaps peas in a chicken pot pie or chicken casserole.

Use eggplant, red/green peppers, zukes, and/or artichoke hearts and/or spinach in italian sauces.

Use carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, and turnips in a beef and/or lentil stew.

Serve fresh fruit or fruit desserts.

Drink tap water.

On the crunchy beans thing...

If you add acid to the beans before they are done the beans will never cook properly. One shouldn't add lemon/tomatoes/vinegar/ect until they are completely cooked.

Nor salt. Don't add salt until the very end or they never do soften up properly.

Well.... I could tell you 1/2 tsp., but that might not be enough for you, or it would be too much. If you're unsure, just start with a 1/4 tsp. salt and then taste it. If it's not enough, add another pinch or two until it tastes right. I think of recipes as ideas, not rules written in stone. Add what you like. Leave out what you don't. Make it yours!

I guess more than that is that the cream of- soups have the other flavorings as well, and I haven't been able to duplicate them. It's mostly cream of mushroom that I like.

And I grew up learning the "dump and pour" method, a.k.a. experimentation or a little of this, a little of that, but mom used cream soups and didn't make her own sauces.

I use a lot of 1/2 beef, 1/2 turkey, especially for highly seasoned dishes like chili or spaghetti. I often add a bag of frozen cauliflower, carrots and onions to spaghetti. To chili I add two different types of beans (pinto, chili, navy, black, light red kidney, dark red kidney, whichever two are cheapest when I'm buying), corn (and I don't serve corn much else), chopped onion, chopped tomato, celery.

Also, Italian sausage is usually cheaper by the pound than ground beef, so you can use that as either a stretcher or the sole meat in a sauce. It is very flavorful and a little goes a longer way than beef or turkey in Italian style saucy dishes.

I do not often take the time to make a from-scratch spaghetti sauce, but I do cut costs by using canned stewed tomatoes versus jarred sauce. For example, the other night I browned a few links of Italian sausage (de-skinned and crumbled as it cooked) with garlic and chopped onions, deglazed the pan with about 1/3 cup white wine (no red on hand, IMO white works just as well anyway), added two big cans of diced stewed tomatoes and a bunch of dry Italian seasoning. Simmer 20-30 minutes and serve over pasta, with a green salad. Cheap and easy.

For tacos I only prepare a certain amount of meat and then serve lots of other fillers - refried or whole black beans, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, sauteed onions, sour cream, shredded cabbage (more vitamins than lettuce and often cheaper), salsa - and when the meat is gone, it's gone (though I do have to put a small spoon in the serving dish and watch my teens when they fill their tacos). Anyone who is still hungry after the meat is gone still has plenty to load onto their tortillas. Lately I have been making a ricey mix to use as the filler, starting with a Spanish rice mix as the base. To that I add about 4 chicken thighs, cut into small pieces, about 2 cups salsa, a can of corn, a can of beans. This is the main stuffing, and I also put out shredded cheese, sour cream, taco sauce and lettuce for optional toppings. This recipe makes a TON of stuffing and it's pretty tasty.

I was just thinking today about the big Taco Bell flap, the "expose" about all the fillers in their meat. One that caught my attention was oatmeal. That got me wondering if I could stretch some meat dishes with steel cut oats. I think pearl barley certainly could be used, it has a good consistency and flavor.

I miss living in the south, where it wasn't quite so expensive to get a lot of bulky fresh vegetables. These would be my first option for stretchers and sides, but it's hard in the midwest in the winter.

I buy frozen tubes of ground turkey. I get a 1# tube for 1$. That is whole lot better than the $2.40 a # for beef.

Also, if dh or others in your house are meat and potatoes kinda people, use a lot of gravies. I find that if I make gravy to go on biscuits in the morning with a very small amount of meat, no one really asks me "where's the beef". Same thing when I serve rice or potatoes, as long as there is a thick gravy, happy eaters.

The other thing I did, I started calling steak and such what it is........ "big slabs of animal flesh". This kind of terminology goes a long way in curbing people's appetite for it. :D

I was just thinking today about the big Taco Bell flap, the "expose" about all the fillers in their meat. One that caught my attention was oatmeal. That got me wondering if I could stretch some meat dishes with steel cut oats. I think pearl barley certainly could be used, it has a good consistency and flavor.

I've often wondered how Taco Bell prepares their ground beef, because it's so soft. Personally, I really like it. Maybe I'll try some oats in mine.

I guess more than that is that the cream of- soups have the other flavorings as well, and I haven't been able to duplicate them. It's mostly cream of mushroom that I like.

Mostly I think it's the mushrooms. If you take some of your mushrooms, cut them fairly finely, and saute them with the onion and butter and perhaps a bit of garlic, over a low heat, then add the flour and proceed with the rest of the sauce, you get a more mushroom-y flavor. You can add sliced mushrooms later. A tiny bit of celery, diced finely, also adds a more complex flavor. I have also found that paprika is nice on mushroom-y sauces - that might help you get the flavor you are seeking. I usually sprinkle it on top of the finished dish, sometimes at the table. Don't forget the canned stuff usually has a *lot* of salt, and you would never dare put that much in at home. Mushroom sauces also benefit from some beef broth for part of the liquid. And you're probably using 1% or 2% milk, wheras the canned version may have more fat - you can add a bit of cream if you want that taste and don't mind the fat. After a bit, your palate will begin to adjust to the fresh taste, and you will begin to be able to taste the additives (not in a good way) when you use the canned version. My family can detect a canned sauce a mile away. I've tried to sneak it in, but they always dislike the finished meal when I use it, because they're used to fresh.

I've often wondered how Taco Bell prepares their ground beef, because it's so soft. Personally, I really like it. Maybe I'll try some oats in mine.

I often say that Taco Bell is my biggest vice... a really like it...

Anyway, while everyone else was in an uproar that it wasn't 100% beef, I was thinking, that is brilliant!

I had a vegetarian roommate who taught me this trick.

In tomato sauces, raisins add texture and seem like little pieces of ground beef, which you can avoid using completely. They don't taste sweet at all, and they are chewy. You add them about 20 minutes before serving. I thought that this sounded gross when I heard about it, but it's really true. It basically rescues vegetarian spaghetti.

A few things I do to stretch meat and still keep my carnivore dh happy:

I make burrito filling with 3/4 # ground beef and mix it in the pan with a family size can of refried beans. This way he doesn't have separate meat and beans to add - he would add WAY more meat and hardly any beans.

I take a single steak I find on sale and partially freeze it, then slice it then and saute it with a ton of peppers, onions, and mushrooms for cheap fajitas. Serve rice and black beans on the side and it is a very filling meal.

I add uncooked rice to meatloaf or meatballs, it makes the meat stretch further.

I shred meat as much as possible. I can cook a 3 lb pork roast and slice it and it is gone in a day or two, or I can shred it and mix it with some sauce or gravy or whatever and have enough for dinner that night and two days worth of lunches and still freeze another pound to pull out for some quick sandwiches on a busy night. This works with beef or chicken too.

Oh, and I just ordered 4 lbs of red quinoa on Amazon for 10.67, so I'll be trying it as an additive too. I'll probably be posting here for quinoa recipes in a few days as well!

I know someone who buys the cheaper 80% ground beef rather than the ones in the 90% range. To keep the fat down after cooking she puts it in a colander and pours boiling water over to rinse out much of the fat and runs a paper towel around the fry pan to pick up extra fat and then uses in a recipe-spaghetti, tacos, shepherd's pie, etc.

Soups are a great way to stretch small amounts of meat.

Also-I might try to have some favorite no meat dishes-pastas, soups, etc. and put my meat budget into a really great dish every couple days rather than so-so meat every dinner.

Rice is a great additive to ground meat. Think of Greek foods or stuffed peppers.