Menu

WHY would kids make prank calls nowadays?

When most people have caller ID?

I just got a prank call. The kids sounded around 10 years old and there was a lot of giggling, so much so that I have no idea what they actually said.

I plan to call back around 6pm and let the mom know.

Dawn

:iagree:

Awww....it's all in good fun. Why would you call the mom?:confused: Have they been continuously harassing you? For a one time crank call, i'd let it go. I don't know, my friends and I did silly stuff like that all the time.....

For a one time call, I'd let it slide unless they said something rude or threatening. If it happens again from the same number, then I would call.

Awww....it's all in good fun. Why would you call the mom?:confused: Have they been continuously harassing you? For a one time crank call, i'd let it go. I don't know, my friends and I did silly stuff like that all the time.....

:iagree: Assuming it wasn't repeated or lewd, I think it's kinda cute mischief at that age. I probably would have laughed, told them I knew who they were and said something like, "Very funny, you guys, but you know everyone has caller ID now?"

I'm a (b)

But then I always was. I REALLY did not appreciate walking through the "cute" shaving cream fight at camp (Didn't have a choice to get back to my bunk) and ending up with soap under my contacts in my eyes. That shaving cream fight stopped real quick after that -- before that the grownups in charge were probably thinking "Hey I did that as a kid, what's the harm?"

Nor do I think it fun to pick tissue paper off my trees and candy wrappers off my yard on November 1st morning.

And maybe getting kids to think about the consequences will stop them giggling and laughing about "just a prank" before the consequences get harder.

I just got a prank call. The kids sounded around 10 years old and there was a lot of giggling, so much so that I have no idea what they actually said.

Dawn

I'd call back with a prank call in the form of telling a joke.

Two can play this game. LOL! :D

Well, I ended up forgetting to call anyway. I did save the name and number on Caller ID in case it happens again.

BTW: There was no time to make any comments back, they giggled, said something I didn't understand, and hung up immediately.

Maybe, but I don't recognize the name on caller ID at all.

Dawn

Maybe it wasn't a prank....maybe one of the girls have a crush on one of your DS's and they were giggling and seeing if he would be the one to pick up the phone.

Okay, I'll stop freaking you out now LOL. :D

Well, I ended up forgetting to call anyway. I did save the name and number on Caller ID in case it happens again.

BTW: There was no time to make any comments back, they giggled, said something I didn't understand, and hung up immediately.

You should have called them back, said "Hey, that was funny. got anymore?" It would have totally freaked them out, and most likely put an end to it. :D

I called the operator once when I was probably about 8 or 9. I was very surprised when she called my mother back. :001_huh: Of course in those days, she probably knew my mother personally and recognized both my voice and #. This wasn't very many years after you'd pick up the phone and tell the operator to connect you to Bubba (really). :001_smile:

Oh man, I still prank, but only to people who call me.

:lol: Are you one of those people who answer, "Remudamom's mortuary; you stab 'em we slab 'em" :tongue_smilie:

I used to get a kick out of telemarketers who called and asked to speak to my father (who passed away YEARS ago), "He's dead right now, may I take a message?" in the sweetest little voice I could muster. (Served them right for calling and calling and calling...)

Totally their parents' fault for still having a land line or for leaving a cell phone out. LOL

Okay, if you want to do the return prank call, how about this:

Them: Hello?

You: Knock knock

Them: Who's there?

You: The crazy lady

Them: The crazy lady who?

You: The crazy lady you prank called earlier today who thinks your behavior is totally normal but doesn't want any more prank calls from you.

See where it goes from there.

Ha!

Dawn

You don't even need caller ID. The phone company can give you the number.

I got a kind of nasty crank call to my business phone # once. I could tell it was... er... a young lady, but she was saying nasty things and making threats (albeit stupid threats.) She left this on the answering machine. I called the non-emergency police line to see what they thought. They said, due to the nature of the call, they would make a little visit to the parents and assess the situation. If it was a teen prank, they would just give her a scare. If it was a serious threat, they would treat it as such.

Turned out to be a teen prank, but the girl was sure surprised at the visit from the police!

A couple years later, the girl applied for a job with me. How stupid do you think I am, honey?:001_huh:

You don't even need caller ID. The phone company can give you the number.

I got a kind of nasty crank call to my business phone # once. I could tell it was... er... a young lady, but she was saying nasty things and making threats (albeit stupid threats.) She left this on the answering machine. I called the non-emergency police line to see what they thought. They said, due to the nature of the call, they would make a little visit to the parents and assess the situation. If it was a teen prank, they would just give her a scare. If it was a serious threat, they would treat it as such.

Turned out to be a teen prank, but the girl was sure surprised at the visit from the police!

A couple years later, the girl applied for a job with me. How stupid do you think I am, honey?:001_huh:

That is seriously funny!:lol: Did you mention that you knew who she was and why??? :lol::tongue_smilie::D:lol:

I would probably inform the parents because there is always the unlikely possibility that they could inadvertently call someone who is a pediphile or mentally unbalanced in some other dangerous maner with tragic consequences. Since the phone number is displayed on caller id that can be used to find the address and it is simply not good to broadcast that there are children home alone or relatively unsupervised at a given address.

That is seriously funny!:lol: Did you mention that you knew who she was and why??? :lol::tongue_smilie::D:lol:

The police went to her house and called her out on her prank call. I can't imagine her not thinking I knew, but evidently she didn't think I had heard about it. (I own the business.)

I just put the job application in the circular file...