Menu

Just Curious: How Many Military HS'ing Mom's Here?

Wow, I never quite thought of the advantages of HS'ing that way... we've moved seven times in fourteen years, and a support group for me would be a welcome change.

We moved 8 times in 16 years! LOL Gotta love military life.

Dh is retired now, so we've been here for 3 years. A record for us.

Still homeschooling, too. :)

Quite a few. It helps us retain our support group when we move. :)

:iagree:

My 8 year old has moved 8 times. She said the other day, "Won't it be nice not to have to move this summer. Are you sure we don't have to move this summer?"

I recently read somewhere that military members homeschool at twice the rate of the civilian population. I don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense for several reasons.

I was born, raised and married military. My hubby has been out for 17 years now though. Then he got into the computer industry which had us moving even more frequently than the military. He found his last regular job here in TN and we have been here for 7 1/2 years which is almost double the next closest contender. My hubby is a road warrior now so he is frequently gone. It was really hard when he first got out and we didn't have that military support group anymore.

Count us in too! Indy has moved 4 times in his 8years and we're due to move again this Nov. Having continuity in his education is a big deal to me (and him). I grew up in a military family (though James Bond was not in the military when we married) and the constant changing of schools was a big problem because every state has different rules.

All our tours have been two years or less so far. They have been either residency program or leaving early to get to a residency program. This will be our longest tour at 3 years for this residency program.

At this point, there aren't any more residencies, and his new position only has a few options of places to go. So once we leave here we'll actually be somewhere for 4 years at a time. And if we go to Texas, there is a good chance we'll just stay there for good (the program runs from there).

Wow, when we leave here the kid goes into 5th and that tour is all of middle school. The next tour is all high school.

ACK! I ONLY HAVE TWO MORE TOURS TILL MY BABY LEAVES FOR COLLEGE!!!

Which if you are used to long tours doesn't sound as bad, but I'm still stuck in the move every two year mindset! Got to get over that!! LOL!

:seeya: (standing up to be counted) My dh is a USN nuclear propulsion officer, we've moved 11 times since getting married 13 years ago. We decided to homeschool after my son's awful experience in 1st grade in VA. He loved K in WI, but 1st was a total bust, so we pulled him at spring break. In the end it was the best decision because we would have been moving again and he would have been in yet another school in another state for 2nd grade.

Where we are now is the longest we've been anywhere, but this is also our 3rd time being stationed here in VA. This is the first time Dh was able to get follow on orders to something in the same area. But that will end this summer, he'll move on to WA, but the kids and I will stay behind because he'll leave for deployment soon after getting to WA and will eventually return to VA anyway.

We have about 4-6 years left before dh retires.

Us! We just past the 17 year mark, so only a few more years until we have more control of our lives :)

I am desperately ready to settle down. I have enjoyed the adventures we've had, but I'm so ready to find "our spot" and put down roots. I think about it ALL the time, and keep hoping it will be somewhere that just fits.

We're military too - Air Force specifically. He just landed an AGR position in NY, so we're moving there (he's there now, the girls and I follow in 2 wks). This will be our final move as he's from that area and will retire in 8 yrs. We've moved 2x in the past 5 yrs - to NJ and then on to NE.

Thanks for all of the wonderful responses ladies. It's nice to know I'm not alone... we have only homeschooled one year (when we were stationed in overseas) and are back in the US now. Both kids are currently attending private school but we're contemplating HSing again. My DH is actually leaving for a one year remote this summer so if we pull them out for the coming school year I would be going it alone. It's appealing because I would certainly have the freedom to travel (we are currently stationed at the base farthest from my family... it's literally a 36 hour drive home) and the idea of being able to go "home" is comforting.

Plus, I hate the idea of being a slave to the school calendar and trying to coordinate trips home to family around holidays.

But, the flip side of all of that is that I would have no help for the year and am worried that I would turn into mean Mommy with little to no break from the kids. I hate to admit that about myself, but well, it is what it is. :D

Have any of you continued to homeschool during a remote? If so, how did it go?

We are definitely pulling them out after he returns home in 2012. The academics at our private school haven't been what we expected them to be, plus we'll likely move every year for the next 3-4 years after he gets back and the added stability that homeschooling offers will be much needed. DH is straddling the fence on homeschooling now and thinks that the kids staying in school will give me a break during the day for the year he is gone.

It's true, it would give me a break but the academics aren't stellar and they will be even further behind after another year of what I consider to be a substandard education.

There is a waiting list a mile long to get into the private school they're currently attending (go figure) so if I pulled them out and then belatedly figured out I couldn't hack it (gosh, I seem like such a whiney baby... a year just seems like an unimaginable length of time to me right now) they wouldn't be able to go back and I would be "stuck". Public school is NOT an option. I suppose we could just hang out and play for the year :lol:... my biggest fear is pulling them out and then feeling like they're not learning anything while they're home with me.

11 years down, 9 to go :tongue_smilie:I know quite a few military homeschoolers around here. We'll probably spend the rest of dh's career here in Hampton Roads. There are only 3-4 places we can go and our family is now too large for them to move us to 2 of them. I'm a little bummed--I get the itch to move every 2-3 years.

We're a little of both. DH is DoD and Reserves. He will be going IA this summer. :( I really appreciate the support of other military homeschoolers.

(((HUGS)))

:seeya: (standing up to be counted) My dh is a USN nuclear propulsion officer, we've moved 11 times since getting married 13 years ago. We decided to homeschool after my son's awful experience in 1st grade in VA. He loved K in WI, but 1st was a total bust, so we pulled him at spring break. In the end it was the best decision because we would have been moving again and he would have been in yet another school in another state for 2nd grade.

Where we are now is the longest we've been anywhere, but this is also our 3rd time being stationed here in VA. This is the first time Dh was able to get follow on orders to something in the same area. But that will end this summer, he'll move on to WA, but the kids and I will stay behind because he'll leave for deployment soon after getting to WA and will eventually return to VA anyway.

We have about 4-6 years left before dh retires.

Wasn't he just deployed?? (I used to follow your blog :))

We've homeschooled all along, and my eldest is 15. We have been through 2 long deployments, and lots and lots of TDY trips (short and long). It can be very hard, you will need outlets for you and the kids (exercise EVERY day for EVERYONE). You will need friends to lean on. You need at least one non-military friend to whom you can gossip and complain without repercussions.

eta: One of my friends wrote a great book for kids with dads who are deploying (she was active duty at one point, she is writing a version for moms).

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I started homeschooling my kids when my oldest was starting 2nd grade (age 7), my middle child was starting preK (she was 4.5 late Nov bday) and my youngest was not quite a year old. My dh left the day after we started for a 6 month deployment. That was June of '06. HSing was a real gift during that time because the kids and I were able to just take off and enjoy a nice late summer/fall vacation to see my parents in WI. The kids and I had a great time and schooling helped me get a great routine going without having to adapt it for all the crazy PS schedules. We were also then able to take the entire month of Dec off when dh came home. Since then we've had lots of work up time (the time before naval deployments when the ship is out for a week here, two weeks there, a month or two here) as well as a mini deployment of about 3 months. Most recently my dh was gone from Jan-Aug of 2010. It was a bit crazier because of my kids being a bit older, but again it helped us settle into a great routine without all the craziness of PS or Navy work up schedules. In the coming future DH will be moving to WA in Sept as a geo-bachelor because his new duty section will take him to a ship that will be going through workups for deployment that will start late in the year. He won't be returning there though so we'll stay behind here in VA and he'll return here sometime in late Spring 2012. Many people ask me "How do you do it" and at this point it's just another day in our lives. My kids are very used to Dad leaving for work and coming home 6-8 months later. I'm sure when he retires we'll find having him home daily a bit weird for a while.

I have other military friends here who's kids are in PS and when I hear of all the days off for this and that they have to plan for and all the mandatory fundraisers and things like that, on top of the not so great academics it's not worth the "Time" I'd have alone during the day.

Thanks for all of the wonderful responses ladies. It's nice to know I'm not alone... we have only homeschooled one year (when we were stationed in overseas) and are back in the US now. Both kids are currently attending private school but we're contemplating HSing again. My DH is actually leaving for a one year remote this summer so if we pull them out for the coming school year I would be going it alone. It's appealing because I would certainly have the freedom to travel (we are currently stationed at the base farthest from my family... it's literally a 36 hour drive home) and the idea of being able to go "home" is comforting.

Plus, I hate the idea of being a slave to the school calendar and trying to coordinate trips home to family around holidays.

This is the biggest thing to me. We can go when we want to and need to. I couldn't have survived deployments if I was stuck when the going was hard and couldn't go cry on my mom's shoulder for a few weeks. We also travelled quite a bit. I took the kids to Europe for a month to visit my brother in Germany and sister in England (also military). We spent a few weeks in GA visiting my brother when he moved. When dh got home, we took Sept. off and went to Washington, DC. Those are things we could not have done if we were tied to the school calendar.

But, the flip side of all of that is that I would have no help for the year and am worried that I would turn into mean Mommy with little to no break from the kids. I hate to admit that about myself, but well, it is what it is. :D

You can find things to give yourself breaks. I had a ladies class at church that allowed me lunch out with friends every Tuesday. I hired a babysitter one evening a week so I could go to the grocery store, hang out at the bookstore, etc. without guilt. I also hired a housekeeper to take care of the in-depth cleaning so I didn't get bogged down in self-pity. This was all while dh was Nat. Guard, so we didn't have access to any of the perks on post during deployments. Here there is a great homeschool group so there are classes and field trips to keep us involved and busy - dh is home now though.

We are definitely pulling them out after he returns home in 2012. The academics at our private school haven't been what we expected them to be, plus we'll likely move every year for the next 3-4 years after he gets back and the added stability that homeschooling offers will be much needed. DH is straddling the fence on homeschooling now and thinks that the kids staying in school will give me a break during the day for the year he is gone.

It's true, it would give me a break but the academics aren't stellar and they will be even further behind after another year of what I consider to be a substandard education.

This is the other giant thing to me. I want them to have some continuity and stability in teh quality of their education. Even if I'm not the best teacher in the world, I'm better than 3 different teachers in a year.

There is a waiting list a mile long to get into the private school they're currently attending (go figure) so if I pulled them out and then belatedly figured out I couldn't hack it (gosh, I seem like such a whiney baby... a year just seems like an unimaginable length of time to me right now) they wouldn't be able to go back and I would be "stuck". Public school is NOT an option. I suppose we could just hang out and play for the year :lol:... my biggest fear is pulling them out and then feeling like they're not learning anything while they're home with me.

If you want to you are certainly capable of doing it. It's just making that committment that scares the skin off of me every August...

Edited by TXMomof4
typo

:grouphug:

I homeschooled during a 4 month deployment. My mom and MIL both came out to help, that was helpful. (Yes, they are both helpful!)

I would use some of the money you are planning for private school for things to help you get a break...whatever would help you the most, some ideas:

cleaning

babysitting

mother's helper

travel to visit family

meal delivery, homemade meals

outsourced classes

I'm a military HS'ing mom, too!

When DH leaves in a few months for his next deployment (6 month tour), I'm going to hire a babysitter once a week, like TXMomof4, to go to the commissary and maybe Starbucks :tongue_smilie:

I didn't have to do that when I only had two littles, but now with three active youngsters, I'm going to need that regular time alone!

The sad part is that the girls I was hoping to hire are PCS'ing in a few weeks...now I have to search for someone else. :glare:

Jumping in here also!

My dh has been active duty army for 9 1/2 years. We have moved 6 times and we are 6 mos. (halfway!!) into his 4th deployment.

We homeschool for a plethora of reasons...mainly continuity in education, and flexibility. It also gives us the ability to spend more time together when dh is actually home. He is also frequently tdy...the few occasions he has been at school we have been able to tag along (white sandy beaches for us, class for him):D

I suggest a housekeeper. With homeschooling six kids, this has been the number one sanity saver for me!

We are military too! We are hitting the 18 year mark here soon and have done a little of both (public school and homeschool).

I have to say that during deployments (our are usually at least 12 months), it is much easier for me to homeschool. DH's schedule while deployed is usually opposite ours, so the only time he can phone or be on the computer is during the day. If the kids had been in school they would have missed him every time. Plus, the flexibility for travel and vacation/R&R time is so nice!. We take the month off before and after a deployment and work hard while he is away. Also, the in-between deployment times have been so short and packed full of TDYs and training, family time is hard to come by - so we just take as much of that time off as we can just to hang out together.

I have a few girl friends that will babysit every once in a while and now that my DD is 12 and a superstar babysitter :) I can get away to the store by myself, too. So, definitely look into a sitter or something once a week. It is amazing how restorative simply going to the grocery store by yourself can be!

Good luck with everything!

I'm a former ARNG wife. Hubby deployed and I homeschooled during that time. Then he came home and we put them in private school. He is now out of the NG and we pulled the kids out of private school a few months ago. I'm sad about all the time we lost but I'm eager to go whole-hog in the curriculum I choose for next year.

I miss the ARNG life sometimes. I admire you ladies and I thank you and your kids for your service. You all sacrifice to lead the military life and I appreciate it. Hooah and Semper Fi (yup, he was in the Corps, too!)!