Menu

Not feeling very good about myself...

I am struggling with my weight. I am 200 at 5 foot 4.

To be honest I am not doing much about it. I don't exercise. I have no motivation to. I try to watch what I eat, but mostly I just watch it go down the hatch.

I fixed pancakes tonight and ate 4 instead of 2 :(

The problem is I do that often. Overeat. I get hungry and I just don't stop until I am full. I don't know what to do with myself. I don't have anyone else to cook for me and can't afford pre-made meals.

I thought about WW, have done it before and lost weight, but the closest meeting is 40 minutes away. Not to mention I just don't have the drive to count points. I just don't want to.

I just want to find some motivation to exercise and eat less. Where do I find it from? How do I keep myself from eating so much? I can't afford expensive doctors and such and have no insurance to go see one either.

I don't know what to do right now and I have pancake sitting heavy in the stomach right now too.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

This is something I have been struggling with for a while myself. I am the heaviest I've ever been (aside from pregnancies), and I really want to be fit. I can see what I would look like, but I just can't make myself do it.

I discussed this with a counselor friend last week, and she said it's a control issue, and it's all about ME choosing to make the effort. It's easy for me to keep letting days go by because it would be SO much harder to excercise. However, what I fail to consider is how good I will feel once I get into the swing of things... it's just taking that step to start.

I wish I had other advice. I could tell you how great you will feel, how it will make you healthy, etc. I know all this for myself, but it's not making me get up and move. Until I decided I've had enough of myself, then no one can do it for me. You will need to reach that breaking point for yourself. :grouphug:

I motivated myself to get started by saying that I was doing to be healthy and active for my son. By taking care of me......I was taking care of his Mother! Plus turning 40 this year motivated me! Once you start making some progress the motivation is easier. I feel really good now and am enjoying exercising!

I have no true words of wisdom because I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'6 and gained some weight this winter. I'm almost at 200, not quite. It was a horrible winter for us this year where we live. Very little sun, we got dumped on with snow like crazy ,, meaning in 10 days we had 83 inches of snow in January. Its just been nonstop. It was bitter cold and so I just wanted to stay in when I could and stay warm.

I also have thyroid problems so that doesn't help either.

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your struggles. (( HUGS ))

I hesitate to post because I am new here and don't know anybody, but here goes. I really related to what you posted. Been there, done that, a thousand times.

I found the Primal Blueprint last summer and have not looked back. I am finally a healthy weight and don't have a messed up relationship with food anymore (miracle).

Go to Mark's Daily Apple and check out some of the stories! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I could go on and on in this post, but it's easier to send you to the Primal website.

One thing to think about is having lots of fruit and veggies as part of your meals. If, for example, instead of pancakes you had oatmeal with apples and raisins and cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar, the fiber in all that would help to fill you up, but with whole grains and lower calorie fruit. It keeps you feeling full longer, because of the fiber and because you don't get as much of a blood sugar spike. Pancakes are usually white flour and sugar-water syrup, both of which are best to avoid.

Try choosing quality fruit, finding veggies you like to eat, and moving towards whole grains.

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, as my sister always says.

No advice either, except to say that I am right there with you. I'm at my heaviest non-pregnant weight and need to lose quite a lot. Most of the time it just feels overwhelming. Because of PCOS, most of the programs out there provide little results, except for extreme low-carb, which just feels like entirely too much to take on.

I know I need to take better care of myself, so I can be here to see my grandchildren. I'm 42...if not now, when?

I know all of these things in my mind, I know what it takes to lose weight, and I know that I can't give up. And that is the problem, or one of them: I see results so slowly that it's hard not to give up.

I wonder if we all don't just get tired of it after a while? I went on my first diet at age 11. So I have spent 3/4ths of my life dieting and I am just sick of it. I know what to do, I just don't want to do it anymore.

I am trying--TRYING--to readjust my mindset so that I just eat healthier, move some every day and focus on better health instead of losing weight. It just gets so old, doing the right thing and never seeing the kind of results I want to see, weight-wise.

Ugh...sorry to have made my response about me. But I do know how you feel. I just hope I'm not stubborn/stupid enough that it takes a major health crisis to get me back on track. I just get so tired of being "on track".

But the alternative is not all that appealing, either! LOL

Maybe you can find the motivation to exercise by seeing it not as a chore that has to be done on some machine in a gym, but by trying to find a physical activity that brings joy to your life. For some people it is dancing, for some it is walking, for others it is biking, hiking, playing tennis, swimming, gardening, canoeing, skiing, running...

If you can stop thinking about it as "exercise" and begin thinking about it as the activity a human body is designed to do and that can be a lot of fun, that may put it into a positive light. Is there anything physical you could imagine to enjoy? Then go and do that.

In order to eat better, there is no need to spend money on overpriced pre-made meals. Think fruits and vegetables. Lots of it.

An easy change to make would be to cut out all soft drink and sweetened beverages. Drink water.

Good luck.

Perhaps it would be doable to make just one small change at a time. For example, switch to just drinking water or drinking a glass of water before each meal. Don't change anything else - just that one thing. Do that for a few weeks. Then try to change something else such as being sure to eat breakfast each morning or not eating anything after 8pm.

As far as exercise goes, start very, very small. I have back issues so I cannot do any prolonged exercise. I get discouraged if I injure myself and then can't exercise at all. So what I've been doing is each time I go to the bathroom, I spend one minute walking in place lifting my knees as high as I can get them. One minute is all I can do before I am spent. You may need to just start with 30 seconds. (I have a clock in my bathroom so I use it to time myself). If you do that four or five times a day, it spreads it out and it is not overwhelming. Then, as you can, increase the time.

I think taking the first step is the absolute hardest. Just tell yourself you are going to try it for one day. Then, try it again for one more day. The trick is not to get overwhelmed by expecting too much.:grouphug:

Add me to the list of people that are right there with you. I am at my heaviest too and it's not a portion issue it's me eating the wrong things and not exercising. I had membership to a gym for a year and I went maybe 12 times. I found that I could only go when they had daycare, 8-12 in the morning. Guess what time is best for us to homeschool? So I had to chose to either workout or homeschool...I chose to homeschool.

I did buy a step from the thrift store but I haven't found a dvd that goes slow enough for me to follow. So except for walking my dog and chasing my children, I'm not moving much.

I could have written a lot of these posts myself.

I know I'm not healthy, I know what I have to do, but.....I don't. I really think a lot of it is where I am at mentally & emotionally right now. My dd has had anxiety issues for a long time now, and they've gotten worse. Luckily, we did find a great therapist for her, and their is hope. But I think I have been feeling more depressed & overwhelmed with what this has done to our whole family than I have realized.

Anyway, eating has always been an emotional thing for me. Food has been my comfort and my reward for "getting through" things. I know I have to deal with that. Knowing hasn't transferred into doing, yet.

I am thinking of starting Weight Watchers on-line though. I also have done it in the past, and it worked. My closest meeting isn't close, either, and the time doesn't work. So, I am going to try it. I wish we had a work out facility closer, too. I know I can go for walks here, or go on the treadmill, or use one of the many, many exercise dvd's that I have. But, it's the getting started.

I'll pray for all of you ladies, will you pray for me?

Thanks.

Maybe you can find the motivation to exercise by seeing it not as a chore that has to be done on some machine in a gym, but by trying to find a physical activity that brings joy to your life. For some people it is dancing, for some it is walking, for others it is biking, hiking, playing tennis, swimming, gardening, canoeing, skiing, running...

If you can stop thinking about it as "exercise" and begin thinking about it as the activity a human body is designed to do and that can be a lot of fun, that may put it into a positive light. Is there anything physical you could imagine to enjoy? Then go and do that.

In order to eat better, there is no need to spend money on overpriced pre-made meals. Think fruits and vegetables. Lots of it.

An easy change to make would be to cut out all soft drink and sweetened beverages. Drink water.

Good luck.

:iagree:

Ahhh, you beat me to it.

For those of you unmotivated to exercise, it just takes a little practice. All those people with great success stories, amazing before and after photos, started off just as you are now. More likely than not, these transformations start off with a whimper and not a bang! Small, minute adjustments are made and over time they snowball and a once apathetic couch potatoes become vegan freaks :tongue_smilie:.

It looks daunting but it has been proved over and over again that it can be done. My biggest suggestion is to stop worrying about the food. Exercise first and the dieting portion will follow. When you are ready to make the change in eating habits, you will.

One thing to think about is how organized is your life and your home? If it is pretty organized, the weight loss and body transformation are only a few steps away. If not, there some work to be done. Although, sometimes exercise can bring about peace among the chaos.

Remember that the body was made to do hard things; was made to work a lot.

Edited by LG Gone Wild
my grammar sucks

I'm looking in the mirror as I say this:

Take it one small step at a time. Long term plans always trip me up, so I'm sticking with short term changes.

I printed off the sign up sheet for a 5k walk. Ds and I are starting to walk tomorrow. We went out tonight and mapped out the distance of some walking routes through the neighborhood.

:grouphug: Looks like there are a lot of us in the same boat.

I hesitate to post because I am new here and don't know anybody, but here goes. I really related to what you posted. Been there, done that, a thousand times.

I found the Primal Blueprint last summer and have not looked back. I am finally a healthy weight and don't have a messed up relationship with food anymore (miracle).

Go to Mark's Daily Apple and check out some of the stories! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I could go on and on in this post, but it's easier to send you to the Primal website.

I will second this book and site. Also check out The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. Once you find out how different foods affect you, you will have a different opinion of what is considered "healthy".

We have been eating Paleo, or Primal as it is also called, for 3 months. I have lost about 30 lbs. My son has lost almost 40 lbs. And we have experienced incredible health improvements with in days of starting eating this way. You can eat as much of the 'primal' foods as you want, so no going hungry. Oh, and our weight loss is not a result of exercise. We have not starting any kind of exercise program, just doing our normal everyday chores around the house. There are some simple exercises mentioned in the books that would work to make the weight come off even quicker and firm up your muscles.

Could you depressed? Maybe if you look into that you won't feel like you need to overfill your stomach. It can be a cycle, depression leads to overeating and lack of movement leads to weight gain leads to more depression.

Getting in some healthy movement, not necessarily for weight loss mind you, might help release some serotonin and help you to feel better. Maybe just some morning yoga? You might want to get a check up to make sure your thyroid is functioning well and maybe talk to your doctor about a therapist for some support.

To be honest I am not doing much about it. I don't exercise. I have no motivation to. I try to watch what I eat, but mostly I just watch it go down the hatch.

The problem is I do that often. Overeat. I get hungry and I just don't stop until I am full. I don't know what to do with myself. I don't have anyone else to cook for me and can't afford pre-made meals.

I thought about WW, have done it before and lost weight, but the closest meeting is 40 minutes away. Not to mention I just don't have the drive to count points. I just don't want to.

I just want to find some motivation to exercise and eat less. Where do I find it from? How do I keep myself from eating so much? I can't afford expensive doctors and such and have no insurance to go see one either.

I don't know what to do right now and I have pancake sitting heavy in the stomach right now too.

This, especially the bolded portion, is so me.

I'm the same height as you and my pre-pregnancy weight (Oct 2010) was 247, and that was down from the 268 that I had been in June of 2010.

For me, the first thing I had to do, was find that magical combination of protein-fats-carbs. Otherwise I either felt starving or like a blob of blubber. And honestly, who can exercise when you feel that crappy? For me, that magical combination turned out to be a diet high on protein, high on natural (animal) fat, with little-moderate amounts of complex carbs, and heavy on fresh fruits and vegetables. Once I finally got that nailed down I could eat small, normal portions of everything and feel full (and because I'd have normal amounts of food I wouldn't feel guilty about having a small brownie or a scoop or two of ice cream!). I also made sure that I consumed at least 8 large, full glasses of water a day, if not more. I found that a lot of the grazing I was doing, especially late in the day, was more because I was thirsty and not because I was hungry.

After that, then I started in on the exercise. Prior to conceiving #2 I would take DS for a 30 minute walk in the morning, and then in the evening (if the weather was good) DH, DS, and I would take a family walk that generally lasted about 40-60 minutes. If DH was super busy, DS was fussy, or the weather was nasty I made sure that I got on the exercise bike for at least 30 minutes. Some days I wish I had a treadmill, but the bike was the best choice for my space and because it is much easier to move (so on the nights when I'm feeling like "ugh, I don't want to get on the bike" I could haul it out, park it in front of the TV and watch an episode of a favorite show, which made the exercising much more appealing). By the time I finished my first trimester the bike wasn't comfortable any more, but DH got a Kinect for Christmas and so I make sure and use the Kinect Sports for at least 30 minutes/4 times a week. I use bowling for warm up and then play several games of soccer and table tennis, both of which require me to move around a lot. On nice days DS and I still go for walks and I'm excited for spring (and nice weather) to arrive so that the walks can become daily.

I still hate exercising, so I had to find activities that I wouldn't think of as "exercise" (such as family walks, the Kinect) or make exercise more appealing (time alone to catch up on favorite TV shows or listen to my favorite music - some of which is not necessarily DS appropriate!). I make sure that I eat the diet that works well for my body, enables me to get the most out of the calories that I eat, and that leaves me comfortable and satisfied throughout the day. And it has paid off. I have consistently lost weight since I started (June 2010), even though I've been nursing, pregnant, or both. The baby is growing well, I'm still producing a good quality/quantity of milk for DS, I've put on muscle, and my health is fantastic (this pregnancy has been so ridiculously easy so far - which my midwife credits to the fact that I have finally found my body's "balance"). However, I have hardly "gained" any weight because I'm still shedding about the same amount of weight that I gain every week just because my body is still heading towards whatever its ideal weight is because I have found my balance of food and activity. And now that I've made this level of activity a norm I think that I'm much more prepared, motivated, and willing to do something a little more intense after this baby is born to help my body more. That's key, I think. Find what works for you and start small, slowly building up to where you want to be.

From someone who has been exactly where you're sitting, heavy pancake and all, for so many years of my life :grouphug: and best wishes!

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

Personally, I find it easier to eat healthy food than to avoid bad ones. . .

So, my first suggestion would be to stop fixing pancakes! Go through your familiar recipes & choose the veggie-rich, low animal fat, low refined carb recipes. . . (lean meats, lots of veggies & legumes), and make up a meal plan for some upcoming meals based on those healthy choices.

Then, at every meal, be sure to serve TWO veggies or raw fruits (mostly veggies) and serve yourself double servings. (Lightly sauced, healthy recipes, of course).

Look for new recipes to try that are healthy and tasty, especially things you can make large batches of for the freezer. Try a new recipe at least once a week. Try some veggie soups if you like them at all. (And, no, potatoes and corn don't count!)

If you choose healthy things to eat, you will fill yourself with those, and will eat less of the bad stuff. Some bad stuff is fine IMHO, but the less the better.

Get moving. Try to exercise 30-60 min every day.

:grouphug: I'm there too, but I'm changing my ways. I booked a condo at the beach for May, and the thought of getting into a bathing suit for the first time in 7 years has inspired me (read: scared the heck out of me) so I am watching every single bite I put in my mouth. I lost 3 lbs this week. I would like to lose 20 lbs by the time we go to the beach. I have been doing Just Dance with my kids on the Wii several times a week, and I am going to start walking again now the weather is going to be pretty some days.

Hang in there. One step at a time.

:grouphug:

I am right there with you. I know what I NEED to do, yet can't do it. Why? I don't know. I have set diet (lifestyle change) dates so many times! I fail over and over again. I am an emotional eater. I hate feeling hungry. I hate eating lots of salads. Exercise..!! With 4 kids, who has time. I love how a previous poster mentioned to think of the activity that is picked for exercise as something to enjoy and NOT as exercise. Good idea. I enjoy peaceful walks. But if I tell myself I have to do it for exercise sake, I dread it!

Anyways, I wish I could help you. I guess it is something we just have to do. How? I don't know. Make a decision, have someone to keep you accountable and encourage you.

If you are a Christian, I encourage you to read Love to Eat, Hate to Eat. It is really helpful in many ways. It doesn't give you instant weight loss results or a special diet plan but helps deal with the heart of the issue.

You sound like me, except that I am heavier. I started counting points 2 weeks ago. I don't go to meetings or do it online because I can't afford it. I've lost 11.5 pounds in weeks.

I was not especially motivated to start. I fought myself almost every day....but I have more energy now and I feel like I've accomplished something. It's a small accomplishment, but still. It's something. I want the results, so I'm willing to put in the work now. It also helps that I get a natural high from 20-30 minutes of cardio. I love to walk, but even more I love the rush I get from the exercise. The rest of the day I'm floating.

I just wanted to say that if I can do it, you totally can. I am completely out of shape, I am totally an emotional/stress eater, and I tend towards lazy.

I'm still making better food choices every day. It's true I don't eat as good as I could, but I eat better than I did and stay within my points. I'm making a choice to put an effort into making time to exercise. I pray a lot!

One step at a time if it's something you want to change and it's frustrating and annoying, but doable.

Could you depressed? Maybe if you look into that you won't feel like you need to overfill your stomach. It can be a cycle, depression leads to overeating and lack of movement leads to weight gain leads to more depression.

You might want to get a check up to make sure your thyroid is functioning well and maybe talk to your doctor about a therapist for some support.

:iagree:

Your post sounded sad to me. Do you think you might be depressed?

I know you mentioned not having insurance or affording special diets and such, but is there a sliding-fee/income-based clinic close by that you might be able to utilize for some bloodwork to check for anemia and/or thyroid function?

You've gotten good advice. Little changes can add up to big results over time. I hope you find something that will work for you. :grouphug:

you can do this!

try eating a piece of fruit as you are making breakfast, lunch and dinner. that way, you start with something already in your stomach, and that seems to help. (drinking a glass of water will do the same thing, but didn't work so well for me.... i can look forward to fruit, but water not so much, kwim?)

with young kids, i used leslie sansone walking videos. i discovered i could find 20 minutes to do mile once a day. i used to do it when i was hungry, about 4pm each day, and that helped a lot. i would finish not feeling hungry, and with more energy.

ann

Add an inch and a little more weight, and that's me.

I have been able to do many, many positive and lasting things. I have not been able to sustain any changes necessary for weight loss and health improvement.

I now counsel residents in a nursing home. Some of them are not much older than I am (almost 45). Many of them are there because of lifestyle exacerbated issues. One in particular is there waiting for a hip replacement that they won't do until she loses weight. She's in her early 50's.

I've decided to try, attempted to try and tried for very short times. It has gotten to the point that even thinking about trying becomes an issue because I feel like a failure before I start.

I was watching "Heavy" today and one of the featured persons mentioned having to do things "perfect". I know that is one of my issues. If I can't do it "perfect" (and who COULD?), I'd rather not try.

{many tender hugs}

Weight is the bane of my existence. Has been for most of my adult life - particularly since having children - and will always be. I just love food and am definitely an emotional eater. In fact, I find any reason to eat - stress, fatigue, you name it.

I no longer lose weight through exercise, but it does help with overall health - it's essential for health, in fact. And it helps with depression and emotional eating issues. I just don't overdo it with exercise like I used to, since too much of it, particularly if intense, I have found, has led me to eat more.

Everyone will have a different plan as to what works. I currently love hcg. Even though I'm not officially on it at the moment, but will be back on it in March. I lost 28 pounds in just over a month. I'm not usually a diet person. At. All. Hate diets and love food. But this is what has worked for me.

Now that I'm soon to be 43, it's no longer a looks/vanity issue. It's health and longevity.

Thinking of you and hoping you find something that works. :grouphug:

Perhaps it would be doable to make just one small change at a time. For example, switch to just drinking water or drinking a glass of water before each meal. Don't change anything else - just that one thing. Do that for a few weeks. Then try to change something else such as being sure to eat breakfast each morning or not eating anything after 8pm.

As far as exercise goes, start very, very small.

I think taking the first step is the absolute hardest. Just tell yourself you are going to try it for one day. Then, try it again for one more day. The trick is not to get overwhelmed by expecting too much.:grouphug:

This is what I did a few years ago, when I lost lots of weight. I got my calendar out and made a list of goals - things to work on. I focused on each habit/goal for about 6-8 weeks. Then I rewarded myself (non-food!). I lost a lot of weight by doing this.

We have been eating Paleo, or Primal as it is also called, for 3 months. I have lost about 30 lbs. My son has lost almost 40 lbs. And we have experienced incredible health improvements with in days of starting eating this way. You can eat as much of the 'primal' foods as you want, so no going hungry. Oh, and our weight loss is not a result of exercise. We have not starting any kind of exercise program, just doing our normal everyday chores around the house. There are some simple exercises mentioned in the books that would work to make the weight come off even quicker and firm up your muscles.

This sounds very encouraging. I've become a bit of a weight loss junkie - just interested in all the different plans. :D

The trouble with loosing weight is getting started. Once you get started, and get on the right track you will start to feel better and it will just get better and better - mentally, emotionally, physically, s*xually, etc. - everything will feel better! That was my personal experience anyway.

Before I lost weight, I was in pre-diabetes, and after about 6 months of the plan listed below, I am able to eat sugar (in small amounts) and my body processes it just fine. My doctor also said that my blood work was totally normal in all areas after loosing the weight. I had high cholesterol, high blood sugar, and low thyroid. With medication my thyroid is normal, and without medication everything else is normal since I lost the weight.

Here's what I did in a nutshell to loose weight and start feeling confident and good about myself.

Step one: Do not eat any more white flour, white rice, white pasta, potatoes, or sugar of any kind.

Step two: replace all the white stuff with whole grain stuff. Instead of white bread, eat Dave's Killer Bread or something like that with lots of seeds and grains. Instead of white rice, eat only brown rice. Instead of white pasta eat Barilla Plus. Don't eat any potatoes or corn, instead eat a double portion of a good hearty vegetable.

Step three: start to exercise slowly. Walk for 5 times per week for half an hour week 1. Week 2, alternate walking 4 minutes, jog for 1 minute, 5 x per week for 30 minutes. Week 3, walk 3 minutes, jog for 2 minutes, 5 x per week for 30 minutes. Week 4, walk 2 minutes, jog for 3 minutes, 5 x per week for 30 minutes. Weeks 5, 6, and 7 keep doing week 4 plan, but increase to 40 minutes, then to 45, then to 1 hour. In week 8 add in sit ups. Week 9 add in dumbell exercises with your arms.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

I have no true words of wisdom because I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'6 and gained some weight this winter. I'm almost at 200, not quite.

...Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your struggles. (( HUGS ))

Same here--same size and everything. I really, really want to want to be motivated, but I just can't manage to make myself take the first step. :(

Someone sent me a PM asking for my meal plan for Step 1, getting rid of white flour & sugar. Here is a typical day with my old way of eating vs. the no white flour no sugar way, for those who might be interested:

Breakfast

Old way: Costco muffin w/ coffee

New way: 2 slices Dave's Killer Bread toasted w/ butter w/ coffee

Lunch

Old way: left overs from dinner

New way: left overs from dinner

Dinner

Old way: spaghetti w/ reg. noodles, or buritto w/ ground beef & white flour tortilla, or Fried Rice w/ white rice, or any number of "usuals"

New way: spaghetti w/ Barilla plus noodles, or buritto w/ ground turkey & whole grain tortilla, or Fried Rice w/ Brown Rice.

Basic idea, just eat what you are usually eating and replace everything that has white flour or sugar with whole grain items and no sugar. I do consider fruit sugar. I didn't eat any fruit while I was loosing weight. Now I can eat very small amounts, but I am very careful about anything with white flour or sugar, and I pretty much avoid it as much as possible.

Step 1 might take a while, but it's very important to be successful on step 1, because otherwise your body is addicted to sugar and it makes you feel hungry. Get that out of your body and replace it with slow burning whole grains and you will feel full and your body will have more usable calories.

Mentally, I was in the same place as you are now... three weeks ago. Here's what changed.

#1 -- DH was motivated and really wanted to change. We made a decision to change the way the whole family eats and move to a more raw-food diet (goal being 75% raw foods) that limited sugars and carbs (a-la Belly Fat Cure 15/6), but decided it was going to be a lifestyle change not a flash in the pan...so that we would include a "cheat day" (a-la 4-hour Body), but not go completely crazy.

#2 -- Start taking our vitamins. I started taking what we had on hand, as I read at www.doctoryourself.com regarding "Vitamin Therapy," I began to make some changes... and as I read some other sites, I make others.

We didn't even plan on exercise would come later, but mainly because exercising at home right now is impossible (you'd just have to see our tiny area to understand). And, coordinating exercise around building the house, homeschooling, swim team, scouts, church, etc. just gets a bit crazy.

This is what I started to take:

1. Nutrilite Double X (this is my multi-vitamin, multi-mineral... it is only sold through Amway... it's the best one I've found, and I have tried cheaper brands, but I don't seem to respond to any the way my body responds to this one).

2. Nutrilite Concentrated Fruits & Veggies (phytonutrient/anti-oxidant supplement, again through Amway.)

3. Vitamin C 2,000mg (divided dose 2-3x a day)

4. Vitamin D3 1,000mg (divided dose 2-3x a day...although I am increasing that to 4,000mg for a month, and then dropping down to 2,000)

5. B Complex Vitamins (I'm using up my Nutrilite, but am looking for an "off-brand" alternative

6. Omega 3 Fish Oil 800IU (2x/day)

7. Psyllium Husks (6 capsules with 10oz water 30 min before each meal).

Within a day or so, I had a huge change in how I felt physically (more energy, more awake... more happy). After the first week to 10 days, I was actually thinking about how much fun it would be to go exercise (:001_huh:). During my PMS time, I didn't have any mood swings... in fact I couldn't believe it was "that time." Monster Me just didn't show up. My cycle started, it was not the horrible thing it's been for the past 2 years (since #5 was born, and I turned 40). I was not couch bound. In fact, other than the maintenance issues, I have hardly skipped a beat (sure beats feeling like I can't wake up, or can't move!). In fact, tonight, I actually did a light walk/run for 30 minutes, followed by some floor work while my daughter was at swim practice. Normally, I "sit on my butt" and watch her swim. That just sounded boring... so I decided to get moving. It felt GREAT!

This last change... craving carbs and sweets... is the big surprise. Normally, just thinking about sweets or bread is enough to generate a pavlovian response... ESPECIALLY when I'm PMS'ing or cycling. I am in utter shock at my sudden lack of desire for carbs/sugar right now.

I can't say following a vitamin regimen like I am would have this effect mentally and physically on you... I certainly wasn't expecting it. But maybe if you start with something small (like a Vitamin Regimen), and drinking more water... you may start to feel better.... and ready to tackle a diet.

Sometimes baby steps are the best way to begin anything.

(I should also add, that before DH and I got to step #1, we started watching documentaries like Food Matters, The Future of Food, Supersize Me, Food, Inc....watched the Jamie Oliver show, and other things. Those were our real first steps...)

Honestly, I don't recognize myself "mentally" anymore. I feel so different, it's really amazing. I am getting excited about what comes next!

When I lost weight last year, I innundated myself with information, articles, motivation... I read magazines: Shape, Self, Fitness, Oxygen, Weight Watchers. I read blogs and posted on message boards. I went from 161 to 135 in about 11 months. (I'm 5'2")

To do it, I think you need to really want it, then you need to change your mindset, about food, exercise, your routine...

I have had issues with food for a long time. Overeating is my main struggle. I heard Lysa Turkhurst on Focus on the Family recently talking about her new book Made to Crave. It is so great! Just thought I would share.

:grouphug: Firstly, your weight is not the sum of who you are. It's a part of you, sure, and perhaps a part of you that needs to be addressed differently, but don't let this one part of you dictate how you feel about ALL of you. You're more than your appearance, your weight, and your clothing size.

I'd guess you want to lose maybe 50-75lbs? That's a big number; it's easy to see how one might be overwhelmed to the point of feeling unmotivated to even start the process. If you figure 2lbs/week, that's more than half of a year of hard work ahead of you - not counting setbacks like family gatherings or holidays. It might feel like an insurmountable mountain, and understandably so! But still - half of a year will pass anyhow, with or without your commitment to weight loss. Family gatherings and holidays will still create setbacks, but they can be temporary bumps on a weight loss journey rather than justifications to continue fueling the forever fat fire.

I guess what I'm saying is no weight loss method will be successful (in the sense of keeping weight off, not necessarily getting weight off) until you're in the right place mentally. We all have triggers, something that prompts us to action -- what are yours?

What triggers you to eat emotionally? Childhood habits? Depression? Overwhelment at beginning the process of losing a significant amount of weight? Daily habits like eating leftovers off of the kids' plates?

What triggers you to override your body's cues for hunger/fullness? Prior experiences with food shortages/famine? Inability to identify or recognize your body's cues after years of ignoring them? Irrational fear that x-food won't be available in the near future, so it must be consumed NOW?

You need to do some soul-searching to try and re-set your mental and emotional triggers. What might trigger you to prioritize long-term physical health over immediate physiological gratification, especially if the gratification is quickly followed by shame or guilt or disgust? Will it be your spouse? your kids? a frustrating shopping experience? what trigger will it take to get your mental game (motivation, commitment) on the same page as your physical game (exercise, restricted diet)?

The physical challenge to losing weight is often the easiest part to tackle; it's addressing the mental and emotional challenges that will bring about the motivation - and ultimately - long-term results and successful maintenance.

The actual weight loss method is irrelevant, be it a change to diet or increased exercise or a combination of the two. I think that's the biggest reason some people can successfully lose weight and keep it off, while others yo-yo around for years. The yo-yo'rs only address one part of the problem; the physical.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time of things right now. Certain medical conditions can exacerbate weight gain, and/or add extra challenges to attempts at losing excess weight. The stresses of daily life are often no help, either - from raising young kids to homeschooling to working around or outside of the home. But we all have the same number of hours each day, and challenges unique to our own lives. It's about tackling those emotional demons and keeping a strong mental focus. And it's like most vices where you sometimes just have to hit rock bottom before you find that motivation to get the ball rolling.

Good luck on your journey to better health, whichever path takes you there!

I was perusing the Great Courses' (Teaching Company's) catalogue today and learned a little trick. Found under the description for the course entitled The Neuroscience of Everyday Life: "How to stick to a health regime: If you use your non-dominant hand to brush your teeth for two weeks, this can lead to a measurable increase in your willpower capacity. People who do this are then able to follow a diet or exercise program better."

It's worth a shot!

One thing that has helped me with overeating is drinking more before meal times. I have a 15-16oz cup and I drink water or herbal tea (the warmth of the liquid really makes a difference) before every meal (and during..and after..you get my drift). Usually while I'm preparing the meal or right before, so my stomach has a chance to register it.

Staying hydrated has helped me because I also mix up hunger and thirst cues. I started with 6-8oz and worked my way up to my big glass. Once it becomes a habit, I don't make it a hard rule. If I'm drinking all day but I happen to be busy doing 3 things at dinner time I'll skip it. Until it became a habit I had to make it a priority and get it in before every meal.

I went on an eating binge back in January. I had lost some weight 6 mos. before and since had stopped losing and was maintaining. I kind of flipped out in January. It was a little fun, I confess :001_smile: But then I started gaining. :glare: I also felt guilty because I was really having too much fun with my junk food. I was convicted about being a glutton. And basically that is my motivation for counting calories.

I use www.caloriecount.com

I started it towards the end of January when I was 170 lbs. (I am 5ft. 3in.)

I think I've been at this for 4 weeks now. I'm in the 5th week.

I should also add that I eat what I like. I don't eat low-carb or low-fat or low sugar. I just eat what I like. (I do try to find low calorie options of things that I already like and eat but I do not cut out fat or sugar or white food or anything as a general rule) That is motivating to me. I just eat less of what I like. I'm really not in the mood to make friends with a new diet.:tongue_smilie: I know it's not the PC way to lose weight. I don't really care. I'm also not in the mood to exercise nor do I have much time. If I thought I had to change my diet and start walking 30 min. a day I absolutely would.not.do.it. Those ideas are very un-motivating to me.

I have lost 11 pounds and am very happy about that. But I can go for long jags with no weight loss (over 7 days) I am tempted to get discouraged but I remind myself that even if I'm not losing weight I am preventing gluttony and for me that has been motivating. I do not want to feel free to stuff whatever I want in my mouth. Because I will. And I don't like how I feel afterward. Mentally and spiritually.

Anyway, that's what keeps me motivated when the needle stops moving. I also chew bubble gum when I'm feeling munchy or hungry to stave off eating til it's time.

Hope you find something that works for you. :grouphug:

Edited by silliness7

What is HCG? Is it a supplement?

Hcg can be taken Rx or homeopathic. I do the latter. It works. But, like everything, there is no one-size-fits-all. It worked for me when nothing else did.

I don't know why some people get so upset about something that works. What's it to them? :confused: First, "they" get upset if society is overweight. Then, they get upset when something actually works :lol:. Oh ... I get it, they're probably upset since they're not profiting from it. :glare: Those who are against it are usually not very informed about it at all. To each his own.

I do want to add that losing weight is not the hardest part. It's the keeping it off that's the ultimate challenge. 95% of those who lose eventually regain ... so frustrating.

That's the truth. And because of that' date=' I don't even want to try. There. I said it. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

But did you know, that with hcg, on average, only 60-70% regain, as opposed to the 95% on other weight loss plans?

Every single weight loss plan will cause someone to regain if they don't stick to it.

Haven't read the replies, but have you heard about the NoS Diet? I heard about it here, on these boards - do a search if you'd like! It is basically the following three rules, and one exception:

1. no snacks

2. no sweets

3. no seconds

EXCEPT on days that start with "S".

Let me tell you, it is the best thing that has happened to me, diet-wise, ever! I am losing weight at the rate of about 2 lbs./week. I am not eating sweets (my downfall), or drinking wine (I consider it a snack, as I would regularly have a glass or two at night after my DDs went to bed) during the week. I no longer eat as I coo, or as I clean up (I consider that seconds as well). If it wasn't on my plate during the meal, I am not eating it. All of those incidental calories really do add up - especially for those of us who eat mindlessly.

It's not been a totally easy walk (I actually gained a bit at first because I went so overboard on the weekends). And after my DDs go to bed it has been difficult not to eat, because that is when I used to eat all of the sweets or have a glass of wine. What I do now is drink a sparkling water (I love that stuff!) and knit while I watch TV with DH. If I get hungry between meals - which happens less and less as I learn what will keep me full - I pop in a piece of gum or drink a glass of water. It just works!

:grouphug: I could have written your post and really feel your pain.

Starting a diet can be so challenging. :( But once you get over the first week and see the scale inching down you begin to feel a little better.

I started a strict no-carb (in reality just very low carb) diet in Jan. The nice thing about very low carb is that you lose a lot of the cravings that make a diet so hard to deal with. The results have been great not just in terms of weight but I've stopped having joint pain, allergies and migraines too. I am in WW too but I don't do their plan. I go for the meetings and weekly weigh-in. The weigh-in and meeting is just another motivating factor. When I hit my goal I'll be a free member too.

What jump-started my diet was reading Gary Taubes book 'Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It." It was a real eye-opener. :)

Edited by 2cents

Guest hypertrooper

There are a million ways to motivate yourself to exercise, actually, but these are a few that have worked for me. And trust me, I’ve had days when I’ve struggled with exercise. Most recently, the things that have helped include finding a workout partner (one of the best motivators!), logging my exercise, reading magazines, books and websites, and rewarding myself.

1. How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time: “You know how good you’re going to feel, Leo!â€
  2. Time for you. While many people make time to take care of others (kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, boss), they don’t often make time to take care of themselves. Instead, make your “you†time a priority, and don’t miss that exercise appointment.
  3. Calories burned. If you count calories (and it’s really one of the most effective ways to lose weight), you know that the more you exercise, the more calories you burn — and the bigger your calorie deficit.
  4. Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you.
  5. How you’re going to look. Imagine a slimmer, fitter you. Now let that visualization drive you.
  6. Magazines. It motivates me to read fitness magazines. Not sure why, but it works.
  7. Cover models. Sure, they’re genetically freaky, and probably Photoshopped to look perfect. But for some reason, looking at how good a cover model looks helps motivate me to work harder.

if you can imagine it you can do it :tongue_smilie: