Menu

Why do egocentric parents attempt home education?

Now hold on! You're quibbling over flavors of pie, and pie vs. cake? I can't help but wonder what you must think of us ice cream eaters. We like having 31 or more flavors and see no reason to favor just one. Ice cream can even take the form of pie or cake if we want it to, and there's no baking required! And sometimes, we have our ice cream WITH pie.

I'd tell y'all to just :chillpill: but I hear it's pretty cold where you are anyway. Maybe you should have some :lurk5:. Not all desserts even have to be sweet.

Really, we should all try not to judge, especially when someone on the board probably can't even afford dessert and is doing their best with the package of pudding they got from the food bank.

Hey, ice cream is good on top of pie or cake ;)

(I'll trade you my jello stash for your pudding stash)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now hold on! You're quibbling over flavors of pie, and pie vs. cake? I can't help but wonder what you must think of us ice cream eaters. We like having 31 or more flavors and see no reason to favor just one. Ice cream can even take the form of pie or cake if we want it to, and there's no baking required! And sometimes, we have our ice cream WITH pie.

I'd tell y'all to just :chillpill: but I hear it's pretty cold where you are anyway. Maybe you should have some :lurk5:. Not all desserts even have to be sweet.

Really, we should all try not to judge, especially when someone on the board probably can't even afford dessert and is doing their best with the package of pudding they got from the food bank.

This is true. We should give generously to the pieless. I'm not really sure how I feel about ice cream eaters. The whole topic seems way to controversial for me. ;)

:) I'm finding out that no matter how lighthearted I want to be about something, someone can find something to be offended about. *shrug* Honestly, it makes me shut up around here more than anything. I'll start to post and then realize that someone is going to get their panties in a twist, so I'll stop. But this thread? It's making me laugh, and I needed a laugh this morning. The thought of someone literally being offended about a bunch of pie talk is making me laugh even more. :)

Hee hee. People can choose what they get offended about. Pie seems rather silly, but....

I needed the silliness too!

Is it perfectly possible for a pie-obsessive parent to home educate. For instance, for math, you could bake a pie, and learn about fractions and measurement and so on. Double the recipe to learn about multiplication. You could learn about different pie fillings for a good life science competent. Apples, cherries, etc. Which apples are best for pies? Where do these apples grow? Etc. Learn about the history of pies and the different regions that have come up with different pies (geography!) and for art, you can draw pictures of your favorite pies. For literature, read stories about pies. For writing, write stories about pies. Pie-obsessive parents may need to be a little creative, but if pie is a priority in your life, you do what you must.

hmmm...I think I feel a unit study coming on....

I've GOT to have the recipe for this...I am a huge pie fan.

One oreo pie crust

4 oz cream cheese

half a small container of cool whip

small box of chocolate pudding

peppermint oil

peppermints or candy cane

Soften cream cheese to the "squishy" stage. Beat it until fluffy, then fold in cool whip. Place this (minus whatever portion you ate out of the bowl with a spoon) into the pie crust. Mix pudding mix according to package directions for pie. If you have peppermint oil, put in a teeny tiny drop. I mean TEENY drop, or the peppermint will over power not only the cake, but your entire house. Pour over cream cheese layer. Chill for about 10 minutes or so, so that the pudding layer sets a bit. Top with the rest of the cool whip and garnish with crushed peppermints or candy canes. Chill for about half an hour before diving in.

Chocolate peppermint pie is the best. All y'all tree-hugging fruit pie eaters are clearly inferior. I truly pity your children. I'll pray for you.

How can you taint chocolate pie with anything? I'd take a fruit pie before I'd sink to tainting chocolate pie with peppermint. Heathen.

One oreo pie crust

4 oz cream cheese

half a small container of cool whip

small box of chocolate pudding

peppermint oil

peppermints or candy cane

Soften cream cheese to the "squishy" stage. Beat it until fluffy, then fold in cool whip. Place this (minus whatever portion you ate out of the bowl with a spoon) into the pie crust. Mix pudding mix according to package directions for pie. If you have peppermint oil, put in a teeny tiny drop. I mean TEENY drop, or the peppermint will over power not only the cake, but your entire house. Pour over cream cheese layer. Chill for about 10 minutes or so, so that the pudding layer sets a bit. Top with the rest of the cool whip and garnish with crushed peppermints or candy canes. Chill for about half an hour before diving in.

If I weren't iced into my house, I would at the grocery store in a New York Minute getting everything to make this. :drool5:

My all time favorite pie:

Lemonade Pie

1 container of cool whip

1 can of eagle brand condensed milk

1/2 a can of frozen lemonade

Mix everything together and pour it into a graham cracker crust. Chill for a couple of hours and enjoy!! My kids like to sprinkle the top with sliced almonds.

How can you taint chocolate pie with anything? I'd take a fruit pie before I'd sink to tainting chocolate pie with peppermint. Heathen.

Boy are you ignert. I may have Germanic roots, but my belief system doesn't follow ancient Germanic paths. Stereo-typer. :tongue_smilie:

The topic of discussion is "Why do egocentric parents attempt home education?"

If you would like to post, please stick to the topic in the op.

Thank you!

:001_tt2: Oh, come on, I think we should just keep talking about pie :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Someone pass the bean dip, I mean chocolate pie please.

You see,we just don't believe that all those other homeschooler's that are doing things differently from ourselves actually are egocentric. It's those who think their way is the only way who are the egocentric one's.

Edited by Miss Sherry

But it's not a PIE chart!

:lol::lol::lol:

Whenever I think about responding to a really long thread, I read the first few pages, then the last few to make sure the topic hasn't completely turned. Imagine my surprise when I see a bunch of posts about pie! You guys made me read (almost) this entire thread so I could see where and how this turn about came about.

Edited: Oh Yeah, I'm sitting here eating a HUGE piece of homemade (not by me) pumpkin pie.

Not mean...sugary :)

Oh that's hard to say. The Southern girls know that the sugarier it gets, the meaner it gets. Bless y'alls hearts. :D

I'm joking... no 'bless your hearts' actually intended.

I think it is childish. It is like the bully that makes fun to make them self feel better.

You're right. I agree. I sure wish she'd stop STARTING the posts about how inferior all the "other" moms are because they don't do it like her. Then we wouldn't find it so necessary to enlighten her that with her broad experience of ONE child, a daughter, who is still in the elementary grades, that perhaps she ought not speak until she has enough experience to grant a little grace and goodwill unto others who have perhaps found a good path for THEIR family, albeit far "inferior" to her path.

Sigh.

It had to be said. So sorry.

Love the person who said she knew how to be a great parent until she had children. :) I actually was MORE than willing to grace all of those around me with my experience and wisdom on parenting when I had one, and even when I had two. About the time I had the third I began to seriously doubt whether or not I had ANY answers. By four I knew the truth... And kept my mouth shut most of the time unless asked and then pressed. :D

I think it's a bit like offering a great recipe on pie that you've only made once!

Or maybe it's like offering cake advice just because you can make good pie! :D

Me? I make awful pie compared to so many. But it's good enough to me and if you cover it with enough ice cream (grace) and whipped cream (humbleness) than that will cover a mountain of shortcomings. KWIM?

It could be said that perhaps, out of ALL the kinds of pie, the best pie is HUMBLE pie? ;)

Me? I make awful pie compared to so many. But it's good enough to me and if you cover it with enough ice cream (grace) and whipped cream (humbleness) than that will cover a mountain of shortcomings. KWIM?

This is quote worthy.:001_smile:

You're right. I agree. I sure wish she'd stop STARTING the posts about how inferior all the "other" moms are because they don't do it like her. Then we wouldn't find it so necessary to enlighten her that with her broad experience of ONE child, a daughter, who is still in the elementary grades, that perhaps she ought not speak until she has enough experience to grant a little grace and goodwill unto others who have perhaps found a good path for THEIR family, albeit far "inferior" to her path.

Sigh.

It had to be said. So sorry.

Love the person who said she knew how to be a great parent until she had children. :) I actually was MORE than willing to grace all of those around me with my experience and wisdom on parenting when I had one, and even when I had two. About the time I had the third I began to seriously doubt whether or not I had ANY answers. By four I knew the truth... And kept my mouth shut most of the time unless asked and then pressed. :D

I think it's a bit like offering a great recipe on pie that you've only made once!

Or maybe it's like offering cake advice just because you can make good pie! :D

It could be said that perhaps, out of ALL the kinds of pie, the best pie is HUMBLE pie? ;)

Bestest post. :) :grouphug: