Menu

Why do egocentric parents attempt home education?

Could someone please explain to me why egocentric parents attempt home education?

We have come across this several times within the past year.

The parents we have come in contact with don't have time for their child/children, nor are they willing to spend time with their child/children.

The child/children either spend time with the relatives (grandparents,cousins, aunts and uncles), are driven from one extra curricular activity to another (swim, kids clubs, dance etc...) or are shuffled around to other home educators homes while calling it a playdate.

I just don't get it. :001_huh:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've observed in modified situations of the one you are describing, is the parents are reacting to (against) something (reactive) in the school system rather than offering (proactive) their kids an education.

Thank you Lisa!

Dh said the same thing when I asked him.

Edited by kalphs

yes!

I homeschool. No, I don't find a "co-op" that is drop off interesting or something I would want. I wanna know why all those parents think it's so great??? :001_huh:

Aren't you homeschooling to be home with your child? He's a 6 year old. he doesn't need to be dropped off. That is what public school is for. :glare:

Why homeschool if you are going to drop your kid off for 'classes' so you can have me time from your only child? It's hard to respect some people and their choices.

Sometimes I feel like I'm spending so much time with my student I don't have time for my daughter. :crying:

I'm always wearing my teacher hat and truly wanting to wear it less and spend more time wearing my mommy hat. I don't think the answer is shipping her off to school or a co-op, though. We are struggling to find the answer we need (we suspect it may be a "boxed" curriculum for a while). Still, I could imagine someone feeling the same way and not really knowing how to find her mommy hat for all the teacher hats sitting around on top of it. Maybe they're just casting about for the answer trying different ways. Maybe they don't feel satisified with this route either but it's something to try.

Maybe they need support from someone who has found a real workable way to manage.

I could use that.

Perhaps they are doing the best they can for their child's education, in their life circumstances. It is not always easy to see THEIR picture, their circumstances, unless you are involved in their life immensely. It is too easy to judge from the outside.

I wouldn't want to always drop my oldest (the only one actually homeschooling as the girls are still too little) off somewhere every week but I have to admit I do cherish the occasions that I get to do something just with the girls. My son plays hockey and he attends a week long hockey camp in the summer (because he begs to go). The week is fun for the girls and me because we get to just do what they are interested in. Plus, it can get overwhelming trying to do all the things that you think your child will enjoy. All of my stuff still includes me sitting there (co-op - that will always require my presence, hockey practice - when he is older they won't even let me in the locker room, a swim and gym class at the y - I could go work out but I have the girls, etc). So, maybe it's not that they don't want to spend time with their kids but that they want to let their kids do all the fun things they hear about. I fall into that trap sometimes and have to scale back.

kalphs, it seems that you post nearly every week about the losers who homeschool in your neck of the woods.

This is because we are having to deal with these individuals in our neck of the woods.

The attitude towards home education in our present geographical area is so much different than it was in the university city where we previously resided.

Presently I feel like I am doing this frequently :banghead: when it comes to interacting with the other home educators in our area/parent's group I facilitate.

Edited by kalphs

Generosity of spirit is better for the heart and mind. Isn't it draining to always be looking for the worst in others?

Thank you for the gentle reminder!

Looks like it is time to watch Walt Disney's "Pollyanna."

Edited by kalphs

So, maybe it's not that they don't want to spend time with their kids but that they want to let their kids do all the fun things they hear about. I fall into that trap sometimes and have to scale back.

:iagree: I wonder if this isn't a lot of it. It takes a lot of courage to break from the socialization trap it seems.:glare:

This is because we are having to deal with these individuals in our neck of the woods.

The attitude towards home education in our present geographical area is so much different than it was in the university city where we previously resided.

Presently I feel like I am doing this frequently :banghead: when it comes to interacting with the other home educators in our area/parent's group I facilitate.

I facilitated a home educators parent's group and I never felt put in a position where I was impacted by other's choices for their kid's education. I did observe people making choices similar to mine and those who made very different choices. And occasionally I did feel like people were probably making bad choices for their family but I wasn't privy to all the information that would allow me to really be able to make a judgement. And I was glad that I didn't. I have a hard enough time making my own choices where I know "everything" about our own situation!

I've never come across a homeschooler like that.

:iagree: Nor have I. There was a mom in our co-op (and our co-op is not a drop-off) who did this somewhat, but she eventually came to the conclusion that she wasn't doing the right thing for her child by homeschooling. All the other homeschooling moms I know well enough to have an opinion on aren't at all like this. They may be in co-ops or running around to activities, but they are also actively homeschooling their children. I fit the same mold. We're out and about all the time. I even *gasp* outsourced some of our math to our local Kumon center. I spent all of 2 minutes worrying what other homeschoolers would say before I decided I really didn't give a cr@p. I'm not homeschooling to make a political statement or to impress anyone -- I'm doing what's best for my kids. If getting them outside help after I've read several books on the subject, tried different curriculum, and changed my approach towards the subject several times helps them, that's what I'll do. I think it's perfectly fine to find some sort of balance with all of it.

yes!

I homeschool. No, I don't find a "co-op" that is drop off interesting or something I would want. I wanna know why all those parents think it's so great??? :001_huh:

Aren't you homeschooling to be home with your child? He's a 6 year old. he doesn't need to be dropped off. That is what public school is for. :glare:

Why homeschool if you are going to drop your kid off for 'classes' so you can have me time from your only child? It's hard to respect some people and their choices.

Or... you could be homeschooling because you genuinely believe that you can offer a better education, but those few hours of co-op give you a much needed break and time to run a few errands, while giving the child in question a fun, safe place to be with other kids. Sorry you can't respect that...

Wow. I guess you could be talking about me. Though I don't really get much enjoyment out of driving my kids around to classes and extracurriculars, it is a big pain and I would rather stay home. I also have them go to a nature class all day Mondays, and yes I enjoy every minute to myself! I am also happy to see them afterwards! I also work part time during that time and clean my home. But even if I wasn't working part time I think I would do it if I could afford it. Yes my kids like to socialize and need it. I need some space. I don't think you have to want to be with your kids 24/7 to be a "good" mom. I love being in charge of their education and we do a pretty rigorous school time working around their extra curriculars and Monday nature day.

Ultimately though? I feel absolutely nothing about people judging or not judging me. I am very happy with what I am doing and so are my kids and husband.

Could someone please explain to me why egocentric parents attempt home education?

We have come across this several times within the past year.

The parents we have come in contact with don't have time for their child/children, nor are they willing to spend time with their child/children.

The child/children either spend time with the relatives (grandparents,cousins, aunts and uncles), are driven from one extra curricular activity to another (swim, kids clubs, dance etc...) or are shuffled around to other home educators homes while calling it a playdate.

I just don't get it. :001_huh:

Ummmm, I drop my 15 year old off at an art class at a private art school for a 2 hour class once a week.During that 2 hours I do grocery shopping and other errands. It is late in the day so she can still do some school work before art class. So am I egocentric ? She also spends time with relatives - her adult brother, her adult sister and her children. Does that make us egocentric ? But just by this little bit of information you have no idea what else is going on in our home.

Kalphs----perhaps you've been put in this place for a reason? Perhaps, you can be an example of other choices? Don't look down on these parents and label them egocentric (and really aren't we all a bit egocentric in our own way)---get to know them, learn from them, and be there so they can learn from you. I don't know how asking why is going to help you or anyone else in this situation.

Ummmm, I drop my 15 year old off at an art class at a private art school for a 2 hour class once a week.During that 2 hours I do grocery shopping and other errands. It is late in the day so she can still do some school work before art class. So am I egocentric ? She also spends time with relatives - her adult brother, her adult sister and her children. Does that make us egocentric ? But just by this little bit of information you have no idea what else is going on in our home.

No, I would not consider you egocentric.

The parents I am referring to do this habitually.

It is an everyday occurance with them and their child/children.

Edited by kalphs

Kalphs, I met one person like that. She and her dh made the decision to homeschool because it was popular and trendy at their church. She wanted to get all that good positive attention that she saw the others getting. What she didn't realize was that it was hard work. It nly lasted a year and then the kids went to private school.

But I might be considered one as well. I have 2 children that are 7 years apart in age. My dd receives 3 hours of therapy 2x a week. I try to keep my son in activities and classes with peers so he can have friends. I am often dropping one off at one place while I go pick up/transfer the other child. Moms who don't know me would think that I am not wanting to be involved directly in my kids activities when really, I am just as involved as I can be. My parents are very involved in my children's activities by necessity. My dad has decided to take on one sport with my son so I can have an occassional break for myself.

No, I would not consider you egocentric.

The parents I am referring to do this habitually.

It is an everyday occurance with them and their child/children.

But the thing is you really don't know the big picture of what all is going on with these people. They may need a year of decompressing and adjusting if they just exited ps. There may be a dh who is insisting the children get plenty of "socialization". A little "blip" into someone's life can be very misleading as to what the "whole" picture is.

But the thing is you really don't know the big picture of what all is going on with these people. They may need a year of decompressing and adjusting if they just exited ps. There may be a dh who is insisting the children get plenty of "socialization". A little "blip" into someone's life can be very misleading as to what the "whole" picture is.

I understand where you are coming from Sherry.

However I have had parents openly admit what I posted in my op.

I just don't understand where they are coming from.

I like Lisa's post because it answers my question.

Edited by kalphs

Parents may have different values than you do; I'm not sure that makes them egocentric. Some homeschoolers view themselves as the homesteader, doing everything themselves; others view themselves as the general contractor, looking for the best option for their child educationally in each subject. Especially as my children aged, I became more of a general contractor. When they were very young, spending time pretty exclusively at home worked fine. I think it was better for them to do more outside the home as they got older. They needed less of me and more of others (is that egocentric?)

My middleschoolers currently do the following, all drop off: They do a composition class with a top-notch writing instructor. She will get more out of them than I ever could. One of the best choices I made with my older two kids was to use this teacher. Physical science: I am not capable of teaching physical science. I would be a terrible instuctor. I pay for both these classes. They take another lit class mostly as a way for them to connect with a group of kids. Building friendships is important. That class is free. The mom who teaches it is doing it as a trial run before she charges for it. I substitute for her when she needs to be out of town. Toastmasters: a club, with one adult volunteer. I don't do anything for that. Boy Scouts. I volunteer for stuff I can do. Guitar lessons.

We pay. Odyssey of the Mind. There is one coach for each team. Other parents can volunteer in small ways, but there is a rule against outside assistance (including from parents) so that what the kids come up with is truly theirs. This is a great thing! Youth group.

At home, I teach math, history, Spanish, Bible. I work with them on their homework from their outside classes. If we had family around, I'd love it if the kids spent time there.

I don't think this makes me an egotist!

I facilitated a home educators parent's group and I never felt put in a position where I was impacted by other's choices for their kid's education. I did observe people making choices similar to mine and those who made very different choices. And occasionally I did feel like people were probably making bad choices for their family but I wasn't privy to all the information that would allow me to really be able to make a judgement. And I was glad that I didn't. I have a hard enough time making my own choices where I know "everything" about our own situation!

It is frustrating trying to have a positive impact on parents of this mindset.

They lament about their choices and openly share information/private details.

However after the solution is provided, they return to their folly.

Edited by kalphs

You simply cannot know the dynamics at play in every family that you run across. Are you saying that people have openly admitted to you that they are selfish parents because they would rather drop their children off at activities all week long than take the time to educate them? Are they readily admitting to being slack educators?

My children spent 14 hours per week (3.5 hours per day, 4 days per week) in childcare last semester. This semester is half that. There will be semesters that are that much, or more, over the next two years. I am sure there are some other parents who think that I am selfish for going back to school while homeschooling, but the truth is that it is not anybody's business but my own.

I drive the boys around for activities three afternoons per week, plus Friday evenings. Some of these activities are drop-off. Some are not. That is the nature of certain activities.

Parents may have different values than you do; I'm not sure that makes them egocentric. Some homeschoolers view themselves as the homesteader, doing everything themselves; others view themselves as the general contractor, looking for the best option for their child educationally in each subject. Especially as my children aged, I became more of a general contractor. When they were very young, spending time pretty exclusively at home worked fine. I think it was better for them to do more outside the home as they got older. They needed less of me and more of others (is that egocentric?)

My middleschoolers currently do the following, all drop off: They do a composition class with a top-notch writing instructor. She will get more out of them than I ever could. One of the best choices I made with my older two kids was to use this teacher. Physical science: I am not capable of teaching physical science. I would be a terrible instuctor. I pay for both these classes. They take another lit class mostly as a way for them to connect with a group of kids. Building friendships is important. That class is free. The mom who teaches it is doing it as a trial run before she charges for it. I substitute for her when she needs to be out of town. Toastmasters: a club, with one adult volunteer. I don't do anything for that. Boy Scouts. I volunteer for stuff I can do. Guitar lessons.

We pay. Odyssey of the Mind. There is one coach for each team. Other parents can volunteer in small ways, but there is a rule against outside assistance (including from parents) so that what the kids come up with is truly theirs. This is a great thing! Youth group.

At home, I teach math, history, Spanish, Bible. I work with them on their homework from their outside classes. If we had family around, I'd love it if the kids spent time there.

I don't think this makes me an egotist!

Sounds like a good blueprint to me.

Edited by kalphs

When my ds was 6 and I was first homeschooling I ran into people like this all the time. I thought it was really weird. It's frustrating because you'd like your dc to interact with people who care about education and are interested in learning together. I remember teaching a chemistry class (free) in my home to ds and a 2d and 3d grader. When I started to increase the depth of the class to actually get at understanding the chemistry and not just make random messes and I expected the other 2 moms to follow up at home with materials I prepared, the parent of the oldest child complained and stopped coming. Of course our approaches to parenting and education were so different that we eventually dropped out of the same circles families like this. None of the homeschool families we interacted with when ds was 12 and 13 were like this.

Are you saying that people have openly admitted to you that they are selfish parents because they would rather drop their children off at activities all week long than take the time to educate them? Are they readily admitting to being slack educators?

Yes, they have openly admitted this to me.

When my ds was 6 and I was first homeschooling I ran into people like this all the time. I thought it was really weird. It's frustrating because you'd like your dc to interact with people who care about education and are interested in learning together. I remember teaching a chemistry class (free) in my home to ds and a 2d and 3d grader. When I started to increase the depth of the class to actually get at understanding the chemistry and not just make random messes and I expected the other 2 moms to follow up at home with materials I prepared, the parent of the oldest child complained and stopped coming. Of course our approaches to parenting and education were so different that we eventually dropped out of the same circles families like this. None of the homeschool families we interacted with when ds was 12 and 13 were like this.

Thank you for your post Betty!

:grouphug:

Yes, they have openly admitted this to me.

Well, what can one do in that case? Not much, really. If it bothered me that much then I would probably resign from whatever role I had at co-op that put me in the position of knowing the intimate details of other homeschools. It sounds like it stresses you out. It's not worth it. :grouphug:

Well, what can one do in that case? Not much, really. If it bothered me that much then I would probably resign from whatever role I had at co-op that put me in the position of knowing the intimate details of other homeschools. It sounds like it stresses you out. It's not worth it. :grouphug:

Thank you Pink!

By the way what is your major for school?

Aren't you homeschooling to be home with your child?

I am saddened to see that some people find it hard to respect other people's choices if they don't match theirs. Why do you feel the need to judge?

No, I am NOT homeschooling primarily to be with my children. I am homeschooling because the education they are getting in school is not up to my academic standards. If we had better schools, they'd attend school.

If we had interesting coops or activities they could participate in, they would - because they would love it.

Just because YOUR motivation for homeschooling is a different one, you should not be judgmental of other people's choices.

I, for instance, enjoy working the job I have. I also enjoy parenting. I like doing BOTH. That does not make me an egocentric mother.

Guest Dulcimeramy

kalphs, I don't know one single homeschooler IRL who does it the way I do.

I finally met someone who teaches Latin and I was so thrilled I nearly scared her. Had to hold back my exuberance.

Here are the options when you live in a non-intellectual neighborhood, or in a place where the hs culture is the opposite of yours:

1. Have nothing to do with homeschoolers. Find friends in other places where you have more in common, maybe through church, sports, hobbies or interests.

2. Have frequent contact with other homeschoolers, seeing yourself as superior and chosen by God to be the example of how to do it right. Lead everything you can. Keep elaborate records of wrongdoings, seeking always to 'understand.' Grow a lovely ulcer and a cold, mean hide.

3. Truly accept the other homeschoolers. Don't teach, lead, model, shun, despair, gossip, or journal concerning them. Live and let live, taking your relationships one family and one person at a time. Spend more time with those who you like and less time with those who you don't like. Let the vision of a stimulating intellectual community (as defined by yourself) just blow away from you like a pretty little bubble on the breeze.

The way I see it, you are camped out on #2 because you are not ready to cry 'uncle' and choose #1.

Might I suggest #3?

kalphs, I don't know one single homeschooler IRL who does it the way I do.

I finally met someone who teaches Latin and I was so thrilled I nearly scared her. Had to hold back my exuberance.

Here are the options when you live in a non-intellectual neighborhood, or in a place where the hs culture is the opposite of yours:

1. Have nothing to do with homeschoolers. Find friends in other places where you have more in common, maybe through church, sports, hobbies or interests.

2. Have frequent contact with other homeschoolers, seeing yourself as superior and chosen by God to be the example of how to do it right. Lead everything you can. Keep elaborate records of wrongdoings, seeking always to 'understand.' Grow a lovely ulcer and a cold, mean hide.

3. Truly accept the other homeschoolers. Don't teach, lead, model, shun, despair, gossip, or journal concerning them. Live and let live, taking your relationships one family and one person at a time. Spend more time with those who you like and less time with those who you don't like. Let the vision of a stimulating intellectual community (as defined by yourself) just blow away from you like a pretty little bubble on the breeze.

The way I see it, you are camped out on #2 because you are not ready to cry 'uncle' and choose #1.

Might I suggest #3?

You are blunt!

Thank you for sharing!

Edited by kalphs

Good for you!

What area would you like to specialize in once you graduate?

Eventually I would like to become a certified nurse midwife or a nurse practitioner. I haven't decided which, but I'm leaning towards midwife.

That is years away though. I know that most RN to BSN/MSN programs require a minimum amount of work experience, in addition to the fact that you are expected to be employed while enrolled in those programs. At that point I will probably take whatever I can find that will allow me to work the shifts that I want to work (nights/weekends) and continue homeschooling.

It sounds like so much work when I type it out like that! LOL I just take it one day at a time. Thanks for showing an interest, Kalphs. :001_smile:

Eventually I would like to become a certified nurse midwife or a nurse practitioner. I haven't decided which, but I'm leaning towards midwife.

That is years away though. I know that most RN to BSN/MSN programs require a minimum amount of work experience, in addition to the fact that you are expected to be employed while enrolled in those programs. At that point I will probably take whatever I can find that will allow me to work the shifts that I want to work (nights/weekends) and continue homeschooling.

It sounds like so much work when I type it out like that! LOL I just take it one day at a time. Thanks for showing an interest, Kalphs. :001_smile:

You are welcome!

Good luck and keep me posted!

It is frustrating trying to have a positive impact on parents of this mindset.

They lament about their choices and openly share information/private details.

However after the solution is provided, they return to their folly.

Ah - see, I never thought that I had to have a positive impact on the people in our group. I was there to answer questions (along with everyone else with answers), to keep the conversation going, to sometimes direct someone to someone else with answers but there my involvement ended. How they used the information given them was up to them. I just answered their questions how ever many times they asked. Sometimes what I was saying actually did get through and sometimes I found out that I wasn't really understanding their question to begin with (more often than I would like, actually) and sometimes something someone else said would suddenly resonate with them. If I felt that frustrated about facilitating then I would quit facilitating.