Menu

Why do egocentric parents attempt home education?

Living life in theory - how people "ought" to do things is wonderful. It prevents us from too much self inspection. Living life through application, year after year, is incredibly difficult. It requires us to look to our own flaws. And generally, I'm so busy working on me, I don't have time to see what everyone else is doing right or wrong.

Parenthood will definitely rub at our raw edges, yes? (any time I complained or thought I had it all down, another would come along...it's pretty darn humbling)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Living life in theory - how people "ought" to do things is wonderful. It prevents us from too much self inspection. Living life through application, year after year, is incredibly difficult. It requires us to look to our own flaws. And generally, I'm so busy working on me, I don't have time to see what everyone else is doing right or wrong.

I needed to see this today. Thank you! :)

About a year ago, I met a homeschooler in a park by my neighborhood where she was playing with her 5 y.o.

I had my five younger dc with me so she figured out I homeschooled too and began telling me all her plans for her ds's first grade schedule.

It was sweet to see her excitement and eagerness, but I was a little annoyed by the way she made sure I knew she had her degree in education so (obviously) she knew what she was doing. Maybe she didn't mean anything by it, but what can I say~I was having a bad day and that's why we were at the park :tongue_smilie:

So when she looked at me expectantly, waiting to hear what curriculum I used, I just shrugged my shoulders and said "Well, I usually try and start them reading at 4 or 5, but I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to Eli. That's ok, it all comes out in the wash anyway~you won't know when he's 17 that he learned to read later than his older sibs."

Omw...you should have seen her face.

I see her around town a lot now and she usually pretends she doesn't see me unless we come face to face at Kroger.

I've told a few friends that story and they told me I was awful to do that to a new homeschooler (while they're snickering into their sleeves.)

But I came to a point where I don't try and explain myself to anyone~least of all people with a condescending attitude.

Maybe the people you're meeting are playing you.

It's really not hard to figure out when someone else thinks they have all the answers.

eta: For those of you wondering, Eli is reading well now ;-)

Exactly this. If someone were questioning me about my method of schooling I would probably give the least helpful reply possible. In fact, I'm fairly certain I've used the word slacker this year about myself because we're using a VA for two of my kiddos.

So, I am a self-defined slacker who spends an inordinate amount of time schooling for someone who only thinks about what I want.

ETA: I have been known to sign all the kids up for a class just so they'd all be out of the house at the same time. Now, I'm usually there too, but not having all of them yelling for me at the same time is my idea of peace, perfect peace.

All you pie eaters are going to burn.....I am currently on my low carb diet and you are all leading me into temptation......Pie is a huge sin and you all need to go to confession NOW! Particularly the one who ate before 10am!

All you pie eaters are going to burn.....I am currently on my low carb diet and you are all leading me into temptation......Pie is a huge sin and you all need to go to confession NOW! Particularly the one who ate before 10am!

I would, but my priest would probably ask me to bring the pie with me to share...

Chocolate peppermint pie is the best. All y'all tree-hugging fruit pie eaters are clearly inferior. I truly pity your children. I'll pray for you.

How dare you judge the fruit pie eaters! I will now get all huffy and offended and write long winded semi-coherent self-righteous posts to you. As soon as I am done calling a few bakeries to find out if anyone delivers pies in this weather.

:smilielol5::lol::lol::lol:

I'm thinking we all have cabin fever of some kind!!!!

No, I need pie to avoid thinking about the nasty 28wk shot I have to go get this afternoon.

*funny aside: I asked the lady at the hospital if I was to go to the lab or L&D for it and her response was "tell you what you do...first drop by Starbucks and pick me up a Chai Latte..." :lol: I don't think I've laughed so hard! I just might do it*

It is frustrating trying to have a positive impact on parents of this mindset.

They lament about their choices and openly share information/private details.

However after the solution is provided, they return to their folly.

I do know someone like this. They homeschool their kids by not buying any curriculum, giving them the occasional assignment, and leaving them at home alone all day (with g-ma when they were younger). Why do I have a hard time not judging them? Because the children have come to me for help with math or I have personally seen them struggle with reading and it breaks my heart that no one is teaching them or getting them a tutor or curriculum that would help. They homeschool their kids because it is convenient and they fear the PS... education is not valued.

:lol::lol::lol: I see I need to keep up.:tongue_smilie: My kids interrupted me before I submitted my post.

STOPIT!! You are ONLY supposed to visit about the op and nothing else on this thread.

You are threatening the sane order of the universe! No nursing school, no college majoring, and certainly NO PIE!

I ♥ pie. I totally ♥ chocolate pie. Lemon pie is icky and if you like lemon pie you're a stinker and if you feed it to your children . . .

don't even make me say it.

STOPIT!! You are ONLY supposed to visit about the op and nothing else on this thread.

You are threatening the sane order of the universe! No nursing school, no college majoring, and certainly NO PIE!

I ♥ pie. I totally ♥ chocolate pie. Lemon pie is icky and if you like lemon pie you're a stinker and if you feed it to your children . . .

Pie's not relevant :confused:

How DARE you!?! :lol:

Now we can debate whether you are a bad homeschooling mama by putting a Sara Lee in the oven or making it from scratch....

Don't you want your kids to be educated!?!?

Pie's not relevant :confused:

Oh, but it is! There will be a huge gap in your children's knowledge if you don't do a pie unit study. Your children will be laughed at and no other hs mom will acknowledge you. Have you thought about putting your kids back in ps?

:rant:

Why do pie-obssessive parents attempt to home educate?

---

---

---

---

:D

Is it perfectly possible for a pie-obsessive parent to home educate. For instance, for math, you could bake a pie, and learn about fractions and measurement and so on. Double the recipe to learn about multiplication. You could learn about different pie fillings for a good life science competent. Apples, cherries, etc. Which apples are best for pies? Where do these apples grow? Etc. Learn about the history of pies and the different regions that have come up with different pies (geography!) and for art, you can draw pictures of your favorite pies. For literature, read stories about pies. For writing, write stories about pies. Pie-obsessive parents may need to be a little creative, but if pie is a priority in your life, you do what you must.

Oh, but it is! There will be a huge gap in your children's knowledge if you don't do a pie unit study. Your children will be laughed at and no other hs mom will acknowledge you. Have you thought about putting your kids back in ps?

NO! They make you eat your meat before you can have your pie (or maybe it's pudding...guess it depends on if you're American or Brit) ;)

Is it perfectly possible for a pie-obsessive parent to home educate. For instance, for math, you could bake a pie, and learn about fractions and measurement and so on. Double the recipe to learn about multiplication. You could learn about different pie fillings for a good life science competent. Apples, cherries, etc. Which apples are best for pies? Where do these apples grow? Etc. Learn about the history of pies and the different regions that have come up with different pies (geography!) and for art, you can draw pictures of your favorite pies. For literature, read stories about pies. For writing, write stories about pies. Pie-obsessive parents may need to be a little creative, but if pie is a priority in your life, you do what you must.

You are right, all very valid points. It is the cake eaters that are slackers :lol:

Who knew that education had more to do with your "dessert method" than anything? I learn new things everyday here.

WOW! All of you are are telling Kalph that she doesn't know these people's situations, how she shouldn't judge. Yet all of you know even less of these people and less of Kalph. She has been nothing but gracious even though she is being attached. So she doesn't want to share the ages of her children. Maybe she is someone that tries not to give out too much info online. I know people that that try to give out as little info as possible, just as a safeguard. This thread has taken a very mean turn.

You are right, all very valid points. It is the cake eaters that are slackers :lol:

Who knew that education had more to do with your "dessert method" than anything? I learn new things everyday here.

Yes, we are very lucky to have this forum. And while it may be tempting to shun the cake-obsessive parents, we must be understanding. Some people have mixed up priorities. We can do our best to educate them about the superiority of pies and hope that eventually they see the truth.

WOW! All of you are are telling Kalph that she doesn't know these people's situations, how she shouldn't judge. Yet all of you know even less of these people and less of Kalph. She has been nothing but gracious even though she is being attached. So she doesn't want to share the ages of her children. Maybe she is someone that tries not to give out too much info online. I know people that that try to give out as little info as possible, just as a safeguard. This thread has taken a very mean turn.

Not mean...sugary :)

I don't think anyone wants to be mean to her.

You have heard the saying, "I was a great parent before I had children."

I also knew everything about homeschooling when I only had one child who was not even school age yet.

I think some of us are just having fun with pie, and blowing off steam at trying to be perfect homeschool moms and failing. :)

I don't think anyone wants to be mean to her.

You have heard the saying, "I was a great parent before I had children."

I also knew everything about homeschooling when I only had one child who was not even school age yet.

:iagree: I think there were certain things in her posts that pointed to a lot of broadbrushing as well...EVERYONE in her area is like this, as though she is the ONLY one that actually educates her own children, etc. I think many of us have gone through certain stages of life to recognise these things. Example: I've also judged a homeschooling friend on the way she homeschools, but have since realised that really, she homeschools differently...and if outsourcing a variety of subjects and unschooling other subjects is what works for her and her kids, then it's still a creative alternative to the public schools. Her basis starts with the presumption that homeschooling is and only should be the parent teaching the child. This is a false presumption. Homeschooling is a broad term.

Thank you for your post Coralloyd! :grouphug:

Then why can't she just write that?

Why tell people they can only stay on the topic she started when she didn't even stay on the topic? (pot, kettle, etc...)

I just read all 15 pages. I must be a dork. Anyway...

It used to be that the best moms homeschool their children and that bad moms send their kids to school. Now it's that the best moms keep their kids at home all day and refrain from any outside classes, and the bad moms send their kids to co-op. Good freakin' grief. I swear if people spent half as much time worrying about their own families and their own children as they do about others, the world would be a much better place.

I think we are all probably taking this too seriously - pie is much more fun to chat about :)

:) I'm finding out that no matter how lighthearted I want to be about something, someone can find something to be offended about. *shrug* Honestly, it makes me shut up around here more than anything. I'll start to post and then realize that someone is going to get their panties in a twist, so I'll stop. But this thread? It's making me laugh, and I needed a laugh this morning. The thought of someone literally being offended about a bunch of pie talk is making me laugh even more. :)

Now hold on! You're quibbling over flavors of pie, and pie vs. cake? I can't help but wonder what you must think of us ice cream eaters. We like having 31 or more flavors and see no reason to favor just one. Ice cream can even take the form of pie or cake if we want it to, and there's no baking required! And sometimes, we have our ice cream WITH pie.

I'd tell y'all to just :chillpill: but I hear it's pretty cold where you are anyway. Maybe you should have some :lurk5:. Not all desserts even have to be sweet.

Really, we should all try not to judge, especially when someone on the board probably can't even afford dessert and is doing their best with the package of pudding they got from the food bank.