Menu

Single favorite item for K-2nd.

Can be a supplement, manipulative, book, curriculum.....I'm finalizing our list and want to make SURE that I have everything that I want.....

What is/was your favorite thing?

I like this Hundreds Board by Learning Resources for math (since you use Saxon, I assume you've got all the fun manipulatives that are used with that :).

For fine motor skills, I like the Kumon Craft books. Ds7 is doing the Easy Craft book, and ds8 is doing the 3D model books. This Klutz Chicken Socks books are fun, too. Ds7 is also enjoying Spool Knitting (so are ds8 & ds10).

I've been having a blast doing Be Amazing Blast of Color with ds5 this year.

I also just received Beginning Geography and am excited to start it with ds7.

Only because SOTW was already chosen....

I will go with What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know. There is a lot of good stuff in these little books. I have used the art and music sections for planning units for study that work simply and beautifully. Plus the literature and poetry and sayings are so nice to have all in one place.

I like this Hundreds Board by Learning Resources for math (since you use Saxon, I assume you've got all the fun manipulatives that are used with that :).

For fine motor skills, I like the Kumon Craft books. Ds7 is doing the Easy Craft book, and ds8 is doing the 3D model books. This Klutz Chicken Socks books are fun, too. Ds7 is also enjoying Spool Knitting (so are ds8 & ds10).

I've been having a blast doing Be Amazing Blast of Color with ds5 this year.

I also just received Beginning Geography and am excited to start it with ds7.

These all look SO fun. I think I'm going to add that science-color thing.

Only because SOTW was already chosen....

I will go with What Your 1st Grader Needs to Know. There is a lot of good stuff in these little books. I have used the art and music sections for planning units for study that work simply and beautifully. Plus the literature and poetry and sayings are so nice to have all in one place.

Thank you! I have the K one, and enjoy it for reference. I think I'm going to check if our library has it...

( plus units cubes, tens bars, hundreds flats and thousands cubes.. hey, I used the set WITH the Right STArt so I'm trying to tuck it into my one thing restriction)

~c in al

Yes! I just pulled out all our cubes and bars and flats for this week's math!

BOB Books! My four year old went from knowing his alphabet sounds and a 4-5 simple words to reading fluently at a first grade level in about 5 weeks. Accomplished in a fraction of the time what slogging through OPGTR would have taken (although it's still a good resource).

My other top pick is Singapore Math (Essential Math for K). Linking cubes have come in mighty handy for math as well.

Guest momk2000

God and Me! Devotions for Girls

My daughter loves this book and always looks forward to devotion time. She always chooses the one we will do for the next day. I like the little hands on activities. On some days there is actually a small craft to go along with the reading. :)

Our whiteboards. I'm trying to figure out how to save up $500 for a huge one now.

You don't have to save a bunch. Go to a home improvement store, like Home Depot. You are looking for a sheet of the slick white walling that they put around bathtubs. It is really shiny and slick. I actually told them what I was using it for and they knew exactly what I wanted. I think it was under $20.

Then, if you can, cut it to size. It will be huge, 4' x 8' I think. I then had my FIL frame mine with some sort of slick faux wood trim and the dry erase marker wipes off that, too. If you can't trim it out like this, then use some of the bulletin board decorative trims that you can get at teacher supply stores just to make it look nice.

Viola! Cheap whiteboard. Mine still looks great after 5 years.

There are so many things!! I will follow the rules and list one single thing that I think every home school should have: Draw Write Now!! My son is very reluctant with art and still draws with very simple stick figures. When he uses these books he gains confidence and it's really teaching him that he can draw anything just by using a few simple strokes.

Here's a little write up about it on my blog:

http://www.whispersprings.com/homeschooling/draw-write-now-drawing-with-children/

and here too:

http://www.whispersprings.com/homeschooling/learning-geography-by-heart/

Sandi, maybe that could work. But both my husband and I are die-hard computer geeks. It's easier for us to order something online that is magnetic, porcelain, total-erase, with tray, and all ready to go, than to enter Home Depot and try to hire someone to make us a homemade dry erase board. But I admit, it is a great idea and if we felt comfortable with a saw and hammer, we'd try it out.

I came back to mention that out of all our curriculum choices and homeschool tools, Explode the Code is the one thing we use *every* *single* homeschooling day. It isn't the most glamorous, but I had to give it credit after thinking about it.

Gotta say... I'm surprised nobody mentioned their COMPUTER.

I could not homeschool without it.

Whiteboards get a good workout, esp. the $-store stick-on one that turns any wall into a whiteboard.

Enjoying (if that's the right word) ETC. Hoping to delve deeper into FLL etc.

Loved the Cuisenaire rods and Funtastic frogs and tons of homemade manipulatives.

But without the computer, I'd be nowhere.

This is my first post to the boards... subscribing to this thread to see what other families love!

Edited by Jay3fer

The Bible portion of MFW 1st grade. I know the program itself is too expensive to purchase just for this portion; however, I had found it used, shelved it after deciding I didn't like the math and LA portions, and later pulled it down when I couldn't find any other Bible program I liked when she was in K. I loved, loved, loved it. The stories in the TG were simple, accurate retellings of the major stories. I would read those stories to her one day. The next day she would read the same story from the Bible reader to me, and then she would copy a sentence from the story and draw a picture in her Student Bible Notebook. It was such a thorough coverage of Bible for that age. It was the highlight of that year.

I love many things on here, but I have to say I have started to love librivox and mp3s.

I have downloaded tons and tons of things, and my kids love listening to them. I've downloaded what's on Ambleside's reading list and my kids are now telling me stories from Fifty Famous Stories Retold, which I never thought they would even listen to. They're absorbed in various folk and fairy tales, and they are listening to some longer books when I am busy doing something else. I am shocked at how fantastic this has been. And it's FREE! I've also downloaded some stories from Kiddie Records and Story Nory that are also nice.

I love Google Books and Project Gutenberg and other sources for old, online books.

Satori Smiles, please do not spend $500 on a white board to save yourself going to Home Depot. Home Depot and other hardware stores are fantastic and fun! I bought extra shelves for a bookcase at Lowes, and the nice man cut them for me for free. Did you know they have free workshops for kids? Go in there with your daughter, pound away and make some neat stuff, and then pick up your $20 white board. You'll be so glad you did.

Edited by stripe

Satori Smiles, please do not spend $500 on a white board to save yourself going to Home Depot. Home Depot and other hardware stores are fantastic and fun! I bought extra shelves for a bookcase at Lowes, and the nice man cut them for me for free. Did you know they have free workshops for kids? Go in there with your daughter, pound away and make some neat stuff, and then pick up your $20 white board. You'll be so glad you did.

:iagree: Home Depot cut ours for us, and it's still huge! We love the workshops, too!

Great responses...I think my cart for next year is just about full!

I love many things on here, but I have to say I have started to love librivox and mp3s.

I have downloaded tons and tons of things, and my kids love listening to them. I've downloaded what's on Ambleside's reading list and my kids are now telling me stories from Fifty Famous Stories Retold, which I never thought they would even listen to. They're absorbed in various folk and fairy tales, and they are listening to some longer books when I am busy doing something else. I am shocked at how fantastic this has been. And it's FREE! I've also downloaded some stories from Kiddie Records and Story Nory that are also nice.

I love Google Books and Project Gutenberg and other sources for old, online books.

Stripe,

Thanks for the Ambleside link--we have been pursuing the AO lists for extra reading, and I am so glad to let Librivox do some of the reading for me... My boys love listening while coloring, Legos, etc.

Related to the computer, my favorite homeschool finds:

1) WTM forum! :D But you already have that. ;)

2) Homeschool Tracker Plus... really gave us an easy, well-planned start to our school year!

Curriculum:

1) Math Mammoth - love it

2) not really curriculum, but the audio lecture on teaching elementary writing from SWB... totally opened my eyes to understand what I was doing

3) All About Spelling - we actually really like doing spelling, and I look forward to it everyday!

I agree with either Explode the Code or my white board.

Kumon books are always a hit though. I have them in page protectors multiple children can use them again and again.
Do you cut these up and put them in a 3-brad folder? This is a brilliant idea! I have so many things the kids can't write in so I can use them through multiple children...they'd much prefer this!