Menu

6th grade thread

TheApprentice

I've posted before, but here's what ds did for sixth grade last year:

Math - Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (daily), continued participation in Math Olympiad (1 hour per week)

History - History Odyssey, level 2 Middle Ages (three days per week), Famous Men of the Middle Ages (plus workbook from MP - 1 day per week)

Literature - Lightning Lit 7, + books from the WTM 6 reading list -- I'll include our reading list below that includes reading from HO, LL, and WTM. Also reading Building Poems as an intro to more in-depth poetry study next year. (Reading daily, occasionally replaced by worksheets or writing assignments 2-3 days per week)

(Writing is incorporated into our history and literature assignments... We cover grammar in the context of writing and classical language study.)

Latin - Latin Prep 3 and Lingua Latina (Latin "lesson" two days per week, homework three days per week)

Greek - Elementary Greek 1, 2, and 3 (possible because of the amount of Latin ds already had - lesson two days per week, homework two to three days per week)

Logic - Critical Thinking Book 1 for first semester, various games and logic puzzles from other sources (twice a week), Art of Argument for second semester, with Fallacy Detective as a supplement to further explain points

Religion - Christian Studies 1 from MP (1 day per week)

Science - So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 (Galore Park), and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos Core Science kit (reading and written work 1-2 days per week, lab one day per week)

Memory - various poems, history sentences from Classical Conversations, Living Memory... (formally two days per week, additional review)

Geography - Mapping the World with Art (1 day per week)

Art - Meet the Masters (1 day per week)

Extras - ballet 3x per week, Boy Scouts, church choir, soccer in the fall

Reading list:

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children (excerpts), Harold Bloom, 0684868741

The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli, 0440227798

Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain, 0670869856

The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly, 0689715714

Beowulf: a new telling, Robert Nye, 0440905605

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Allen French, 1604595221

King Arthur and His Knights, Malory/ Elizabeth L. Merchant, (Calvert)

The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White, 0399225021

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green, 0140367004

If All the Swords of England, Barbara Willard, 1883937493

Adam of the Road, Elizabeth Gray, 0142406597

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi, 0786816589 (and sequel -- this one was a favorite)

Catherine Called Birdy, Karen Cushman, 0064405842

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Master Cornhill, Eloise Jarvis McGraw, 1887840001

The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer / McCaughrean , 0140380531

One Thousand and One Nights, Geraldine McCaughrean, 0192750135

The Story of My Life, Helen Keller, 1416500324

The White Stag, Kate Seredy, 0140312587

Tales From Japan, Helen and William McAlpine, 0192751751

The Samurai's Tale, Erik Haugaard, 0618615121

A Single Shard, Linda Sue Park, 0440418518

All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot, 0312330855

Secret of the Andes, Ann Nolan Clark, 0140309268

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz, 0698116380

The Playmaker, J. B. Cheaney, 0440417104

King of Shadows, Susan Cooper, 068984445X

Dante's Divine Comedy as Told for Young People (excerpts), Joseph Tusiani, 1881901297

The Second Mrs. Giaconda, E. L. Konigsburg, 0689821212

Here's a sample week from ds' planner that year:

10424_137590870877_688000877_2668318_5295613_n.jpg

The gray parts are the school times we spent working with another family. The other mom and I would trade off Big Kids and Little Kids for various classes, though Memory and Art were all done together. The kids wrote their homework assignments for Latin, Greek, Logic, or Poetry on the blank lines at the bottom of the page. The SOTW reference just told me what the younger ones were doing that week.

We're doing SL 6 this year for history. Science they get at a 1 day a week enrichment program, but in a couple of weeks I'm going to have the older 2 start reading the Real Science 4 Kids books we never finished last year and I'll have then outline from them, and we'll do the experiments together on Fridays.

I've got a link in my signature if you want to see what else he's doing. The only major changes are that we've added in Elementary Greek, dropped Spanish for now, and have gone back to Rod & Staff English.

Here's what we're doing:

Math: CLE 600

Grammar and writing: R&S 6, Beta testing SWB's logic writing program, additional writing from history and science.

Spelling: Apples and Pears Spelling books B and C (this is an area of challenge for ds)

Literature: Reading assigned books (some from history others are classics)

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorers Astronomy, Ellen McHenry's The Elements and other materials. Science fair through enrichment program.

Logic: Logic Countdown and Logic Liftoff

Latin: Great Latin Adventure I

History: put together my own thing using elements from Sonlight 6, Biblioplan, K12's Human Odyssey and History Odyssey. Yes, I have two many resources here, but I got them all used, and nothing fits perfectly as is!

Memory Work: I put together a list of scripture and other materials to memorize. Looking into the CC audios or Living Memory for next year.

We also participate in a one day a week enrichment program which offers science, history, creative writing, drama, PE, and art. DS participates in the First Tee golf program during the summer.

Edited by ssexton
typo

i've posted before, but here's what ds did for sixth grade last year:

math - algebra: Structure and method, book 1 (daily), continued participation in math olympiad (1 hour per week)

history - history odyssey, level 2 middle ages (three days per week), famous men of the middle ages (plus workbook from mp - 1 day per week)

literature - lightning lit 7, + books from the wtm 6 reading list -- i'll include our reading list below that includes reading from ho, ll, and wtm. Also reading building poems as an intro to more in-depth poetry study next year. (reading daily, occasionally replaced by worksheets or writing assignments 2-3 days per week)

(writing is incorporated into our history and literature assignments... We cover grammar in the context of writing and classical language study.)

latin - latin prep 3 and lingua latina (latin "lesson" two days per week, homework three days per week)

greek - elementary greek 1, 2, and 3 (possible because of the amount of latin ds already had - lesson two days per week, homework two to three days per week)

logic - critical thinking book 1 for first semester, various games and logic puzzles from other sources (twice a week), art of argument for second semester, with fallacy detective as a supplement to further explain points

religion - christian studies 1 from mp (1 day per week)

science - so you really want to learn science 1 (galore park), and experiments from the thames and kosmos core science kit (reading and written work 1-2 days per week, lab one day per week)

memory - various poems, history sentences from classical conversations, living memory... (formally two days per week, additional review)

geography - mapping the world with art (1 day per week)

art - meet the masters (1 day per week)

extras - ballet 3x per week, boy scouts, church choir, soccer in the fall

reading list:

stories and poems for extremely intelligent children (excerpts), harold bloom, 0684868741

the door in the wall, marguerite de angeli, 0440227798

tom sawyer, mark twain, 0670869856

the trumpeter of krakow, eric p. Kelly, 0689715714

beowulf: A new telling, robert nye, 0440905605

the story of rolf and the viking bow, allen french, 1604595221

king arthur and his knights, malory/ elizabeth l. Merchant, (calvert)

the sword in the stone, t.h. White, 0399225021

the adventures of robin hood, roger lancelyn green, 0140367004

if all the swords of england, barbara willard, 1883937493

adam of the road, elizabeth gray, 0142406597

crispin: Cross of lead, avi, 0786816589 (and sequel -- this one was a favorite)

catherine called birdy, karen cushman, 0064405842

alice's adventures in wonderland, lewis carroll

master cornhill, eloise jarvis mcgraw, 1887840001

the canterbury tales, chaucer / mccaughrean , 0140380531

one thousand and one nights, geraldine mccaughrean, 0192750135

the story of my life, helen keller, 1416500324

the white stag, kate seredy, 0140312587

tales from japan, helen and william mcalpine, 0192751751

the samurai's tale, erik haugaard, 0618615121

a single shard, linda sue park, 0440418518

all creatures great and small, james herriot, 0312330855

secret of the andes, ann nolan clark, 0140309268

around the world in 100 years, jean fritz, 0698116380

the playmaker, j. B. Cheaney, 0440417104

king of shadows, susan cooper, 068984445x

dante's divine comedy as told for young people (excerpts), joseph tusiani, 1881901297

the second mrs. Giaconda, e. L. Konigsburg, 0689821212

here's a sample week from ds' planner that year:

the gray parts are the school times we spent working with another family. The other mom and i would trade off big kids and little kids for various classes, though memory and art were all done together. The kids wrote their homework assignments for latin, greek, logic, or poetry on the blank lines at the bottom of the page. The sotw reference just told me what the younger ones were doing that week.

how did you make that planner???

Here's what we'll be using: (subjects listed according to PA Home Ed Law)

ENGLISH: Oak Meadow 6 (which is integrated w/OM6 social studies)

and possibly "Story Grammar for Elementary School" (Killgallon) (We're still working through "Sentence Composing for Elementary School" now).

MATH: Teaching Textbooks 6 4X a week, & Life of Fred Fractions 1X a week.

SCIENCE: Oak Meadow 6 Basic Life Science

GEOGRAPHY: Incorporated into Social Studies; Continuing to receive our "Little Passports" subscription as well.

HISTORY/SOCIAL STUDIES/CIVICS: Oak Meadow 6 (Ancient Civilizations; integrated with OM6 English)

PHYSICAL EDUCATION: Continuing weekly Judo lessons

MUSIC: Will be starting weekly guitar lessons

ART: Meet The Masters

HEALTH/PHYSIOLOGY: Using the free curriculum at kidshealth.org (http://kidshealth.org/classroom/index.jsp?Grade=68&Section=personal)

EXTRAS: Girl Scouts (weekly), Library Book Club (every 3 weeks), Spring Homeschool Bowling League (10 week program)

We're also supposed to do "Safety Education, including fire safety" - that will probably be mainly via conversation, reading, and annual homeschool group fire safety programs, interactive websites, Red Cross swim lessons etc.

Edited by NanceXToo

DD will be in sixth next year (eek?!). Hopefully I'll get some ideas from this thread, because as you can see, I do still have a few holes. I'm really counting on the Greenville convention to answer some questions for me when I see things in person!

Mathematics: LoF Geometry & AoPS Geometry

Literature: LLfLTR @ onlineg3, and Reader's Journey from TIP

Spelling/Vocabulary: AAS 6 & 7, WWW 1

Grammar: ML 1; probably some editing resources as well

Composition: Advanced Academic Writing 1, possibly some other stuff too/instead/blah don't ask me :P

History/Social Sciences: See that about not asking? Yeahh. No clue here.

Science: Spectrum Chemistry

German: Saturday school & tutor

Art & Music Appreciation: put together by me, using Art and Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History as the spines

Art Skills: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain; she'd also like to take a pottery class

Music Skills: continuing w/ piano & trumpet

Logic: The Snake & The Fox, Nonsense, and maybe TL 1. Maybe fallacies.

Computer Skills: Workshops @ the Apple Store, a blogging class, maybe basic HTML

We may not do full-steam-ahead MCT LA next year, but spread it out over 18 months to 2 years and integrate some other things with it. I really need to get a look at the next level before I decide. That's my biggest hole. I at least have ideas in terms of history/social sciences.

Currently my 6th grader is doing:

History - TOG Y2 (also writing & literature)

Science - Rainbow Science Y1

other subjects:

Grammar - R&S 6

Latin - Latin Primer III

Logic - Fallacy Detective / Thinking Toolbox

Math - Singapore 6A/B, Life of Fred (fractions)

Art - God and the History of Art

piano & violin

My current 6th graders are using TOG year 3 for history. For science we finished up God's Design for the Physical World, and are now using God's Design for Chemistry and Ecology.

I have God's Design too, but am bummed because I have a different set of chemistry ones. :confused: I think I only have 2 books and now there are three.

We're doing 6th this year with my youngest.

Here's what we have for history and science:

I wanted a two-year history rather than four years, because when he's in 8th I want to do American, then start over with a four-year rotation in 9th (that's my thinking right now anyway). So I have 6th and 7th to fit in the entirety of history. There's so much good stuff out there! I chose BJU for my spine for both 6th and 7th grades, but I added in a lot of things from SL6 and from SOTW 1 and 2 for this year, along with extras such as DVDs from that wonderful list someone posted a while back, and map work, and lots of other great stuff.

It's too much! I promised myself that if I got bogged down I would stick with my spine; I've done that, and as a result, a lot of the good stuff I wanted to add in has not been added in. I will have to be okay with that. When am I going to learn I can't do everything I put my mind to, sheesh. I was like a kid in a candy store, all this wonderful material!! Okay, I'm fine, it will all come around again in high school, and we can even dig deeper.

I looked around at science stuff, and since we were pretty lean on science up to this year, I decided to go with a general type science text. I chose BJU science 6 for that. We're really happy with it. Not sure what I will do for 7th yet, but I am leaning towards BJU Life Science, then their Space and Earth for 8th.

Hope you find just the right thing!

Blessings,

I will be using My Father's World year 3 along with Apologia's Human Anatomy book. I have a 2nd grader tagging along with my 6 grader.

For all Language Arts I will use ACE (School of Tomorrow) 6th grade.

For Math I will be using Math U See Epsilon.

Still looking for some Logic stuff. Right now she is involved in Logic Club at the school here but will have to find something for next year.

DD is currently 6th grade, and we are using YR-1 Unit 3 through YR-2 Unit 2 of TOG (history, geography, literature, church history and worldview), R&S English 5 for grammar and composition, Apologia Botany for science, TT Math 7, SP and VFCR, and all the rest is in my siggy. It is a lot to pack in, and seems that foreign language suffers the most -- yet dd is making progress with it anyway.

Blessings,

Lucinda

It's mostly in my sig line but this is how our day lines up in terms of what we do.

Religion -- on Sundays for formal Scripture study and daily reading plus reading examples of extraordinary example, liturgical activities, et c. She also belongs to a Catholic Girls club that meets twice/month.

Latin -- We have an online class through Lonepine Classical using Lingua Latina by Orberg. We use the text, colloquium (skits), exercitia, games, and other activities, and projects.

Math -- Another online class for Math at cybeRShala. We use Singapore. Plus daily mental math.

Language Arts: Writing (I love Writer's Jungle!) across curriculum. I host a weekly writing club that is really writer's workshop. We also use Shurley for English and have a wonderful book club. We also use the Angelicum Academy for Literature Studies.

Logic didn't really work out for us. So, we dropped Logic and now we do Philosophy through Angelicum. They don't start Logic till 7th. We also play lots of logic games which we enjoy very much. We also enjoy going to Khan Academy for fun thinking puzzles. I assign a game or puzzle several times per week.

For History we use Land of Our Lady as mostly a spine. She reads the chaptes and does the discussion. She often writes papers or does a project or something. We also READ our way through History with m.a.n.y. fiction, non-fiction, poetry selections as well as music and video selections.

Memory -- well, we're supposed to do that daily but . . .

Fine and Domestic Arts: Fiddle Lessons as well as playing in the community (she's playing at a pub this weekend) and a few contests per year. We visit museums and have season tickets to the ballet. We go to about every live music event we can. We go to the opera once or twice/year and live theatre when we can afford it. She also learns sewing, embroidering, knitting, cooking, baking and various other Domestic arts.

For PE she has riding lessons with an older homeschool girl. We like to hike and we also started a running program in December but we fell ill at the end of December and have not yet recovered. When she has time we go to drop in pe at the y.

Oh, I almost forgot Science. She does the Edison Project at Quick Study Labs.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

We are doing 6th grade this year:

Grammar: AG unit 1 followed by Queen's LL for Secondary Child vol 1. Editor in Chief

Spelling: SWR

Reading: DITHOR

Math: TT 7

Science: completed Swimming Creatures and now going through Abeka's 6th

History: SOTW vol 4 with Hakim's History of US, Smithsonian Children's

Encyclopedia of US, DK Architecture, various art books, and tons of extra reading books and dvds. I went through various reading lists including VP and Sonlight to choose lots of read alouds. I've added various missionary stories as this is the time period when mission societies were very active. Also, I've added quite a few biographies of inventors, scientists, and adventurers - again this is the time period when many advances were made.

Geography: Around the World in 180 Days

Logic: Mind Benders

Writing: flows out of history, science and reading.

I've posted before, but here's what ds did for sixth grade last year:

Math - Algebra: Structure and Method, book 1 (daily), continued participation in Math Olympiad (1 hour per week)

History - History Odyssey, level 2 Middle Ages (three days per week), Famous Men of the Middle Ages (plus workbook from MP - 1 day per week)

Literature - Lightning Lit 7, + books from the WTM 6 reading list -- I'll include our reading list below that includes reading from HO, LL, and WTM. Also reading Building Poems as an intro to more in-depth poetry study next year. (Reading daily, occasionally replaced by worksheets or writing assignments 2-3 days per week)

(Writing is incorporated into our history and literature assignments... We cover grammar in the context of writing and classical language study.)

Latin - Latin Prep 3 and Lingua Latina (Latin "lesson" two days per week, homework three days per week)

Greek - Elementary Greek 1, 2, and 3 (possible because of the amount of Latin ds already had - lesson two days per week, homework two to three days per week)

Logic - Critical Thinking Book 1 for first semester, various games and logic puzzles from other sources (twice a week), Art of Argument for second semester, with Fallacy Detective as a supplement to further explain points

Religion - Christian Studies 1 from MP (1 day per week)

Science - So You Really Want to Learn Science 1 (Galore Park), and experiments from the Thames and Kosmos Core Science kit (reading and written work 1-2 days per week, lab one day per week)

Memory - various poems, history sentences from Classical Conversations, Living Memory... (formally two days per week, additional review)

Geography - Mapping the World with Art (1 day per week)

Art - Meet the Masters (1 day per week)

Extras - ballet 3x per week, Boy Scouts, church choir, soccer in the fall

Reading list:

Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children (excerpts), Harold Bloom, 0684868741

The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli, 0440227798

Tom Sawyer, Mark Twain, 0670869856

The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly, 0689715714

Beowulf: a new telling, Robert Nye, 0440905605

The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, Allen French, 1604595221

King Arthur and His Knights, Malory/ Elizabeth L. Merchant, (Calvert)

The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White, 0399225021

The Adventures of Robin Hood, Roger Lancelyn Green, 0140367004

If All the Swords of England, Barbara Willard, 1883937493

Adam of the Road, Elizabeth Gray, 0142406597

Crispin: Cross of Lead, Avi, 0786816589 (and sequel -- this one was a favorite)

Catherine Called Birdy, Karen Cushman, 0064405842

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Master Cornhill, Eloise Jarvis McGraw, 1887840001

The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer / McCaughrean , 0140380531

One Thousand and One Nights, Geraldine McCaughrean, 0192750135

The Story of My Life, Helen Keller, 1416500324

The White Stag, Kate Seredy, 0140312587

Tales From Japan, Helen and William McAlpine, 0192751751

The Samurai's Tale, Erik Haugaard, 0618615121

A Single Shard, Linda Sue Park, 0440418518

All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot, 0312330855

Secret of the Andes, Ann Nolan Clark, 0140309268

Around the World in 100 Years, Jean Fritz, 0698116380

The Playmaker, J. B. Cheaney, 0440417104

King of Shadows, Susan Cooper, 068984445X

Dante's Divine Comedy as Told for Young People (excerpts), Joseph Tusiani, 1881901297

The Second Mrs. Giaconda, E. L. Konigsburg, 0689821212

The gray parts are the school times we spent working with another family. The other mom and I would trade off Big Kids and Little Kids for various classes, though Memory and Art were all done together. The kids wrote their homework assignments for Latin, Greek, Logic, or Poetry on the blank lines at the bottom of the page. The SOTW reference just told me what the younger ones were doing that week.

Can you tell me about how long your day was using this schedule?

Also - I really like the look of your planner - what do you use?

Thanks!!!

******I would also like to know where you got the planner, looks great!

Wow I feel completely inadequate looking at some of these lists:confused:.

This is our first year HSing so the extra reading and writing is not going over well with DD.

HO Early modern 2

Trail Guide Pathways for the later part of that

R&S English 5

Spelling Workout

Saxon 6/5 supplemented with Horizons 6

Science(part of TG but until we start that we will do nature study in the fall using a unit study)

Logic-have no idea because this kid doesn't jive with that kind of stuff

Writing-what is included in HO2 looks to be good but we will also use one of the Killgallon books for middle school

Reading-BFIAR that we did not get to this year and some of the free study guides that are out there. Puffin Classics are on the top of my list to start to collect.

I make our assignment sheets in Word. I like the format (for both of my kids) of having daily work (in some cases "do the next thing" and in some with page numbers or more specific assignment info) and certain weekly work that the kids can work on figuring out how to divide up on their own. It seems to be a good balance for us in transitioning the kids to being more responsible for their schedules.

Anyway, in Word I use Tables to create the grid that works for me...

I make our assignment sheets in Word. I like the format (for both of my kids) of having daily work (in some cases "do the next thing" and in some with page numbers or more specific assignment info) and certain weekly work that the kids can work on figuring out how to divide up on their own. It seems to be a good balance for us in transitioning the kids to being more responsible for their schedules.

Thanks! I don't have word, but I will try on open office. :)

How do you type sideways? :001_huh:

Upcoming 6th grade dd:

Science - So You Really Want to Learn Science 2 (Galore Park) and sitting in on elder sister's Teaching Company DVDs on Geology

Ancient History - So You Really Want to Learn History 1 with additional reading and an online Chronology class

American History - Geomatters' Paths of Exploration: Volume 2 (with younger sister)

Next year, dd-12 in late Nov., will be using

• TOG 4 Dialectic (first year in full Dialectic) History, Literature, Geography, Church History, Fine Arts & Activities Outlining, writing summaries, lots of reading, note taking, using an Atlas, lots of hands on projects and working on public presentation and time management
  • LoF Decimals -- 1st, then Singapore 6
  • Apologia Anatomy + living books; General Science as from Elemental Science or Apologia -- Earth science?
  • Finishing The Phonics Road Level 4 Then Write Shop 1 + Daily Grams 7
  • Logic - Fallacy Detective 2x per week
  • Webster's Vocabulary designed by me (applies word study to higher level words)
  • Spanish Now! Workbook --- her choice she like Spanish
  • Family Devotional

My DS 12 is doing 6th this year:

Math - finished MUS Delta in Jan, starting MUS Epsilon and LoF: Fractions

LA - WWE 4, FLL 4, Imitation in Writing Medieval Legends (about 1 every other week)

History - History Odyssey Medieval Level 2 (+ listens in with younger brother doing SotW Middle Ages) Extensive Reading list (made additions to HO from SL and other middle ages suggestions), Famous Men of the Middle Ages with student workbook from Memoria Press x 1 per week.

Science- Noeo Chemistry Level 2

Latin - Latin for Children Primer B

Music - Themes to Remember composer study, learning to read music and play the recorder (he's finally coming along pretty well!)

Bible - we listen to Daily Audio Bible for kids every morning and Daily Audio Proverbs, we pick out sections to discuss, in the first half of the year we did SL Bible from Core 2 with the Awesome Book of Bible Facts.

Extra: Social Skills group for his Asperger's

Hi All! I entered this thread to see what others are using, I have a son in 6th grade and this is our first year home. I am trying to stay "secular" since that is what his experience has been thus far, and we are surprisingly successful! I am using saxon 76 and he loves it, is doing a lesson a day and just eats it up. I am using a prentice hall life science book and we are enjoying that too! I'm using easy grammar 6, and the unit studies for geography and history. The one thing we are still lacking in is writing. Does anyone have a suggestion for a kid in our situation? The public school gave him just about nothing in the way of language arts education, the grammar has been somewhat painful and slow going. He has written one paper in his school career, and it was one paragraph on Bunnicula... ugh. I'm looking for something to help him learn to organize his thoughts on paper and learn to write paragraphs that flow!

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and if I have posted this in the wrong place please let me know - I'm a newbie!!!

6th grade is in my signature, but I'll add a bit:

History: SL Core 6

LA: SL Core 6, Wordly Wise 6, Easy Grammar 6

Geography: Mapping the World w/Art

Math: MUS Zeta, Life of Fred Decimals when she finishes MUS

Science: BJU Science 6 - this is my favorite year of BJU

Spanish: Rosetta Stone - this works great for her brother, but not for her. She wants to switch to French next year and I haven't decided what to use.

Logic: We finished the logic liftoff series first, then started Fallacy Detective

Cooking: FCH Lessons + our own advanced lessons

Fine Arts: Homeschool Orchestra

PE: Competitive Gymnastics

We've really enjoyed the year.

• 2 weeks later...

We are switching to OM 5 right now, we'll work through it until June, take a couple of months off and then start back up in September.

Language Arts: Phonics Road and finish OM 5 english. Begin OM 6 English

Math: finish OM 5, then 6. We may keep using ALEKS if we can get enough $$ for it. I *like* online math, a lot!!

Science: finish OM 5 and then OM 6

Latin: ??? trying to decide if this will make the cut in our schedule yet or not. We'll start Latin Road when she's finished with PR 4.

Memory Work, Nature Study, Artist/Composer Study ala CM, Piano lessons, Homeschool Co-op and P.E. class.

I THINK this is what we'll do for science/history:

- CPO Earth Science

- Trail Guide to World Geography (so we're keeping history light/easy)

- STOW Middle Ages (read only)

- Famous Men of the Middle Ages (audio only, no assignments)

I'm focusing more on geography than history next year.

We might join Classical Conversations, where we'll do their science experiments, history sentences and history cards (American history next year) for memorization.

If we homeschool next year, I'm leaning towards TOG or SOTW w/AG (or maybe both), but I need to hold TOG in my hands, first! LOL

For science, I have a free, inquiry-based chem course from the internet. We would also do some sort of bio and nature study, perhaps with photography integrated somehow.

I'm looking at Galore Park's latin course, and would either take a break from Rod and Staff grammar to do Easy Grammar, or make dd bite the bullet and do R&S anyway.

Math will be Saxon 8/7.

Positive Action for Christ will be our Bible course.

I haven't decided for sure yet. We put dd into the lottery for a charter school so she may go to school next year. Right now my tentative plans are

TOG 1 UG level

Saxon 7/6

Elemental Science- Biology (new Logic level)

continue LFC A

GWG 6

not sure on spelling

continue with Mindbenders

My oldest will be in 6th next year. I am freaking out! Here is what I have so far:

Math: CLE 600, finish LoF fractions, begin LoF Decimals and Percents

LA: Probably AG, Meaningful Composition for writing, dictation from Harp and Laurel Wreath, extra spelling practice via SWO if necessary

Logic: Logic Liftoff

Latin: Finish LfC B, begin LfC C

Greek: Greek Alphabet Code Cracker, then either GfC or Elementary Greek

History: Tentative plans for SOTW2 with Kingfisher for outlining, maybe adding in Story of the Middle Ages by Harding, selected reading from History Through the Ages

Science: Still figuring out this one. We should finish RS4K level 1 Chem, Bio, and Phys by summer. Maybe a history of science course. Maybe earth science (if I can find a decent spine).

Geography: Dd expressed an interest in a geography course. We may try Runkle.

Music: Piano lessons, study of composers

Art: Artistic Pursuits

PE: Weekly homeschool PE, Karate, various sports throughout the year.

Wow! That sounds like a lot, but we are usually done by 1:00 every day. I just feel like we need to up the ante this year.

For my dd who will be in 6th grade next year (her first year hs'ing), I am planning:

BJU Science 6, Horizons Math 6, Bridge to the Latin Road, and then TOG for all the other subjects.

She will also take enrichment classes on Fridays as well as 5-6 hours of dance a week.