Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week four

I already finished Hunger Games for this week! Waiting for the next one to come from the Inter library loan. Currently working on "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. After that I hope to have the next Hunger Games book. I am ahead already for the year! And I plan on definitely finishing 3 books this week. This challenge is awesome. I am not pushing myself to read all kinds of genres. Just picking books that look interesting!

1. My Name is Mary Stutter

2. The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

3. The Art of Eating In

4. Shanghai Girls

5. The Hunger Games

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slowest reading week so far. Still slogging through Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France. It's like a 300-page internet rant; well-written, but overly wordy (around page 100 he even pauses to mention that it's getting pretty long), disorganized, and hyperbolic.

There are, however, some gems in it. I will get through! And then on to something that's not political philosophy.

Oh you completely cracked me up!

I had intended to read the post apocalyptic novel Far North last week but instead was charmed by something much less edgy, the sweet little novel A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson. Someone on the back cover noted that it was a blend of P.G. Wodehouse and Alexander McCall Smith. Not quite Wodehouse (nothing could ever be) but charming nonetheless.

Onward to dystopia this week...

I also reread yet another Miss Read novel, my constant companions throughout this past holiday season. It may be time to move on from Miss Read though. Maybe I'll return to one of my other favorite authors, Barbara Pym. I have not reread any of her books in a while.

Be well everyone!

Jane

I haven't posted in the last week or so...guess I am too busy reading. :lol: Here's two more I read:

Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived These stories always make me first sad, and then thankful/blessed

The Easter Parade Could not get into this. Really wanted to enjoy Richard Yates' writing, but I guess I felt it was just missing something. Had a good start, but I sort of made myself finish it. Bad idea.

I have several more books I am reading right now, but I will only list them when I am finished. :001_smile:

I also reread yet another Miss Read novel, my constant companions throughout this past holiday season. It may be time to move on from Miss Read though. Maybe I'll return to one of my other favorite authors, Barbara Pym. I have not reread any of her books in a while.

Be well everyone!

Jane

Any suggestions on where to start with these authors? Last year I read 2 or 3 books by someone you like (WW II espionage; liked them better than I had expected to given that I was tired of espionage--I actually, I liked one so well I read another by him.)

I only finished one book last week - Anne of Green Gables.

I had hoped to finish Sarah Palin's Going Rogue, but once I got into the more political side of her book, my reading slowed down a lot. Trying to concentrate on all the politician's names and oil companies/organizations and such. Still plowing through it, though, and enjoying it.

Also reading A Wrinkle in Time; fun book.

Would love to start another this week, but not sure if I'll get to it.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by C. Alan Bradley.

I *love* Flavia! I'm sorry if this sounds sexist, but I have to admit I am astonished that this author is male. He is really in tune with the way girls think!

Thanks to those who've mentioned this book on these boards, I am so enjoying it.

Any suggestions on where to start with these authors? Last year I read 2 or 3 books by someone you like (WW II espionage; liked them better than I had expected to given that I was tired of espionage--I actually, I liked one so well I read another by him.)

Miss Read has two series, the Fairacre Books and Thrush Green. Wikipedia gives a list of each in order of publication (here). Ideally I would read them in order but if your library does not have a volume or two, you'll still be able to follow the story line.

You can tackle Barbara Pym in any order. Her most popular book is probably Excellent Women.

Karin, have you read Angela Thirkell? Nan and I both adore her work. I would start with one of the earlier novels, maybe Wild Strawberries or High Rising. Thirkell's setting is Barsetshire, created by Trollope, but updated to the first half of the 20th century. Just delightful reading...

These books are completely different from the dark and gritty Alan Furst espionage novels! Which just goes to show that I do tend to hop all over the reading spectrum, particularly when it comes to fiction. :D

Okay, I realize I'm really bad about posting about books, but really good about reading them :D. My favorite book so far this year is really unsurprising. Lynn Kurland has a fantasy series - The Nine Kingdoms. The 2nd book of the second series/trilogy just came out this month. It is called Spellweaver and it was awesome. I also reread the 1st book of the second series Tapestry of Spells and liked it just as much as I did the forst time. Unfortunately now I have to wait until winter 2012 for the 3rd book to come out (I'm hoping that means January and not December). I may have to reread the first trilogy again, as well as get through the pile of library books on my nightstand :001_smile:.

I already finished up one of my Week 4 books, The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King. It is Sherlock Holmes pastiche and I love, love, love this book (the first of the series)!

I just picked up a copy of this book today (having heard good things about it) with the intention of giving it to my teen daughter (a Sherlock Holmes fan) at some point. I read the first few chapters on the bus on the way home, and I'm impressed.

Regards,

Kareni

I haven't finished Caribbean yet, Though I am still enjoying it. I, too, have been falling asleep reading most nights.

I joined the Bronte challenge and began to listen to Agnes Grey on Libravox. I have to admit the tales of misbehaving children were draining to me. I'm only to the fifth part of 25, hopefully it will get easier to take.

In order to stick to my resolution to finish something each week I picked up By-Line Ernest Hemingway. I read through the first several pieces. They were terribly short, and left me wanting at least a short story.

I find myself striving to find more time to read, though to little avail. This 52 books thing reinforces my feeling that there are oh so many books and oh so little time.

I'm reading The Neddiad for my book this week. I'm still slogging through The Celtic Realms, also. I started reading the Harry Potter series to the boys, and we've read book 1 and 6 chapters of book 2 so far, but I'm not counting them on my list because I've read them each several times in two languages already.

My aunt passed away this past Friday, and she didn't have any children, so my sister and I are handling a lot of the details of the memorial service, so it will be a miracle if I actually finish a book this week.

Last week, I read One Amazing Thing by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, and I liked it up until the end. I thought the book was missing about 10 pages or so of conclusion. She ended it too abruptly.

Miss Read has two series, the Fairacre Books and Thrush Green. Wikipedia gives a list of each in order of publication (here). Ideally I would read them in order but if your library does not have a volume or two, you'll still be able to follow the story line.

You can tackle Barbara Pym in any order. Her most popular book is probably Excellent Women.

Karin, have you read Angela Thirkell? Nan and I both adore her work. I would start with one of the earlier novels, maybe Wild Strawberries or High Rising. Thirkell's setting is Barsetshire, created by Trollope, but updated to the first half of the 20th century. Just delightful reading...

These books are completely different from the dark and gritty Alan Furst espionage novels! Which just goes to show that I do tend to hop all over the reading spectrum, particularly when it comes to fiction. :D

Thanks. I need to get out of the y/a rut (now it's a rut, at first it was helpful). I can even suspend holds, so I can space the arrivals out. Who is Trollope?

Edited by Karin

I never did read The Great Gatsby last week as a second book. Somehow the time got away from me. I'm still planning to read it, but I've assigned it to ds to read, so I'll have to remember to get it from him.

So, for this week, I chose a re-read. The Clan of the Cave Bears by Jean Auel. Her final book is coming out in March (the end of the month? I can't remember), and I felt that I should re-read the series to get 'in the mindset', if that makes sense, so I'm hoping to re-read one book from the series every other week or so (too much CotCB makes my mind rot, so I'm spreading it out and reading other stuff in between!). At this point, however, I've been waiting 30 years (since the first one came out) and the excitement has worn off, but I can't *not* read the final one, IYKWIM. I'm hoping for more *story* and not so much name-ties and the, uh, other stuff. I couldn't figure out why on Earth it took her so long to write the previous two as that is most of what's in there! I was very disappointed in those books, and I'm hoping for a good conclusion to the series!

I can't believe the number of books y'all are reading that I have never heard of.... I'll have a reading list 10 years long by the time this challenge is over! But that, good, right? Once the kids are in college, I'll have the *time* to just sit and read.... won't I? :001_smile:

So, for this week, I chose a re-read. The Clan of the Cave Bears by Jean Auel. Her final book is coming out in March (the end of the month? I can't remember), ? :001_smile:

It is???? I'd given up on that book. I read the first one when it was new (my parents bought it so I read theirs. I was still living in Vancouver, so it was a long time ago!).

It is???? I'd given up on that book. I read the first one when it was new (my parents bought it so I read theirs. I was still living in Vancouver, so it was a long time ago!).

Yeah it was announced in May~~ I just went back and looked at the e-mail and it's being released in the States on March 29.

I found a 'fan club' website thing and joined the e-mail list several years ago after number 5 came out (which is how I heard about the release date).... the time between the books being released had been getting longer and longer, and I feared Mrs. Auel would pass away before finishing the book (selfish, I know!). Then, at one point, a few years ago, she was thinking of splitting the final book into two... I groaned at that thought!! I'm afraid, though, that the final book will be as much of a let-down as the previous two were. I loved reading about the daily life and the medicinal plants, etc, and there wasn't much at all in the last two... mostly stuff I flipped over, and all the name-ties. And the "visits to the spirit world". Yawn. But... I can't "not" read it. I need that closure, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't finished Caribbean yet, Though I am still enjoying it. I, too, have been falling asleep reading most nights.

I joined the Bronte challenge and began to listen to Agnes Grey on Libravox. I have to admit the tales of misbehaving children were draining to me. I'm only to the fifth part of 25, hopefully it will get easier to take.

In order to stick to my resolution to finish something each week I picked up By-Line Ernest Hemingway. I read through the first several pieces. They were terribly short, and left me wanting at least a short story.

I find myself striving to find more time to read, though to little avail. This 52 books thing reinforces my feeling that there are oh so many books and oh so little time.

The first half was hard to get through but the second half gets more interesting and the last bit is really good...I have about 5 chapters left and am really starting to enjoy it.

Yeah it was announced in May~~ I just went back and looked at the e-mail and it's being released in the States on March 29.

I feared Mrs. Auel would pass away before finishing the book (selfish, I know!). Then, at one point, a few years ago, she was thinking of splitting the final book into two... I groaned at that thought!! I'm afraid, though, that the final book will be as much of a let-down as the previous two were. I loved reading about the daily life and the medicinal plants, etc, and there wasn't much at all in the last two... mostly stuff I flipped over, and all the name-ties. And the "visits to the spirit world". Yawn. But... I can't "not" read it. I need that closure, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Especially with the bolded bit! I hated the last book. Civilisation? Urk, they should have stayed put somewhere on the trip home with some friendly people.

Geez, that's all I needed to learn. It's probably extended this insomnia for another hour. I'm going to sit here and agonize about having to read that wretched thing!

:lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Thanks. I need to get out of the y/a rut (now it's a rut, at first it was helpful). I can even suspend holds, so I can space the arrivals out. Who is Trollope?

Anthony Trollope was a prolific British writer of the Victorian era who penned novels with recurring characters and settings, one of the latter being a county called Barsetshire. Thirkell, in the 20th century, borrowed the place for her wonderful books.

Other Trollope works include the novels in the Palliser series which the BBC once dramatized and I think aired on Masterpiece. I have not read a lot of Trollope although I suspect I would enjoy his books.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by C. Alan Bradley.

I *love* Flavia! I'm sorry if this sounds sexist, but I have to admit I am astonished that this author is male. He is really in tune with the way girls think!

Thanks to those who've mentioned this book on these boards, I am so enjoying it.

I think Flavia is a wonderful character. Have you seen the reviews from folks (it seems to be mostly men--my turn to sound sexist) who don't think Flavia is a convincing girl??!!! Guess they live in a different universe.

Anthony Trollope was a prolific British writer of the Victorian era who penned novels with recurring characters and settings, one of the latter being a county called Barsetshire. Thirkell, in the 20th century, borrowed the place for her wonderful books.

Other Trollope works include the novels in the Palliser series which the BBC once dramatized and I think aired on Masterpiece. I have not read a lot of Trollope although I suspect I would enjoy his books.

Trollope is fabulous. I've read the Barsetshire chronicles through once, and a few of the books a second time. Fair warning: each book is about half again as thick as the previous! But they're quite addictive. Someday I have to tackle the Palliser novels. Unfortunately I got partway through La Vendee (not a Palliser novel) and was so overwhelmed with boredom that I burned out on Trollope for at least a while.

I guess I don't spend enough time on the General board. What's the Bronte challenge? :bigear:

Since Jan 17 was the anniversary of Anne Bronte's birthday and she was the least well known sister of Emily and charlotte, I challenged everyone to read one of her stories.

I probably should have started with Agnes Grey since it is way shorter. I'm reading Tenant of Wildfell Hall which is 469 pages long. Coming on the heels of Anna Karenina, it is a bit tiresome but I think I'm starting to get used to the writing. Don't know whether that's a good thing or not. Opens up another door to more books written from that era and a longer wish list. :)

. I loved reading about the daily life and the medicinal plants, etc, and there wasn't much at all in the last two... mostly stuff I flipped over, and all the name-ties. And the "visits to the spirit world". Yawn. But... I can't "not" read it. I need that closure, I guess. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

:iagree: Especially with the bolded bit! I hated the last book. Civilisation? Urk, they should have stayed put somewhere on the trip home with some friendly people.

Geez, that's all I needed to learn. It's probably extended this insomnia for another hour. I'm going to sit here and agonize about having to read that wretched thing!

:lol:

Rosie

Was the last book the one where the main character (Is it Alya??? I do tend to forget names) and her love (J????) end up with his people. Is that the last one you two are talking about? In the one where they travel, I skipped much of the long descriptions of the scenery. I think my favourites were the first 2 and the Mammoth Hunters (was that the third?).

Okay, so now I've ordered the first of the Bartsetshire books called The Warden.

I also finished Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft, which I read for a different challenge.

Saw your review. " In 1790 she produced her Vindication of the Rights of Man, the first response to Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France" The quote comes from this history of her: http://www.historyguide.org/intellect/wollstonecraft.html

Trollope is fabulous. I've read the Barsetshire chronicles through once, and a few of the books a second time. Fair warning: each book is about half again as thick as the previous! But they're quite addictive. .

My curiosity is piqued. I ordered it to get a feel of the place for one of the writer's Jane mentioned.

Thanks, Slug and Robin. I adore Charlotte and can't stand Emily, so I guess I should give Anne a try. Another week, perhaps ....

I read them a couple of years ago on Eliana's suggestion. Agnes Grey is her first, is shorter and not quite as well done since writer's usually get better as they go (note I said usually ;)). I read that one first. It was fine, but the next one was better, particuarly once you get into it. I also found it interesting due to the controversial nature of the book. If you read the Tenant..., be sure to get a complete version because Charlotte edited all posthumous editions to remove the offensive passages. They're not offensive to us, but they are significant historically.

Saw your review. " In 1790 she produced her Vindication of the Rights of Man, the first response to Edmund Burke's Reflections on the Revolution in France"

Interesting. Since Burke's Reflections is what I'm reading right now, maybe I should read the Wollstronecraft afterwards. Unfortunately I think I agree with Burke; but I'd rather agree with Mary Wollstonecraft.

Edited by Sharon in Austin
stupid name error

Just posted my review of Delirious and the author provided me with an extra autographed copy to giveaway. So drop on by and put your name in the virtual hat. It is a techno thriller without being over technical, characters dealing with schizophrenia and twists you don't expect. Really good first effort on Daniel Palmer's part.

Edited by Mytwoblessings

:) DONE!:) with Robinson Crusoe. This was my 3rd attempt to read Robinson Crusoe, so I guess the 3rd time was the charm.

I am very glad that I read it. Lots of wonderful little lessons. Warning - it moved very slowly. I was 3/4 through the book before I hit the exciting part. The end didn't seem to fit :001_huh:. It seems like Defoe didn't know how to wrap it up.

2nd warning - the book is a product of its times and author. I had to remember that as he spoke of "savages" and "Papists."

chiming in late here:)

completed

1. "for the children's sake" susan schaeffer macaulay

2. "when children love to learn" elaine cooper

still working on

3. "how to read a book" mortimer adler

4. "knowing and teaching elementary mathematics" liping ma

5. "the history of classical music" richard fawkes (audio)

6. "the voyage of the dawn treader" c.s. lewis (readaloud)

Interesting. Since Burke's Reflections is what I'm reading right now, maybe I should read the Wollstronecraft afterwards. Unfortunately I think I agree with Burke; but I'd rather agree with Mary Wollstonecraft.

I have never read with Burke. Did he believe that women shouldn't have rights?

No; he disagreed with the justifications offered for the French Revolution. He believed the "rights of man" couldn't trump centuries of established usage in the constitution of a nation.

Okay. I'd have to read him to know if I agreed. I don't know enough about the justifications for the French Revolution to have an opinion; I do think there were a lot of problems in France at the time, though, and that something had to change.

Okay. I'd have to read him to know if I agreed. I don't know enough about the justifications for the French Revolution to have an opinion; I do think there were a lot of problems in France at the time, though, and that something had to change.
Burke believed in reform, but reform that grew from proven underlying institutions and which didn't uproot everything and try to re-make in a day, from unproven principles, a society that had taken centuries to develop.

yesterday I started Joni, by Joni Eareckson Tada.

If you don't know it is a true story of a lady who was paralyzed from the neck down in a diving accident at age 17. She finds that God's purposes are greater than what man can ever understand.

I cannot put it down. Halfway through and I just started at bedtime last night. It is an easy read and I am planning on passing it on to my 13 yo dd when I am done.

yesterday I started Joni, by Joni Eareckson Tada.

If you don't know it is a true story of a lady who was paralyzed from the neck down in a diving accident at age 17. She finds that God's purposes are greater than what man can ever understand.

I cannot put it down. Halfway through and I just started at bedtime last night. It is an easy read and I am planning on passing it on to my 13 yo dd when I am done.

I couldn't put it down either! I read this some years ago and it was inspirational then, and the remembrance of her story remains so. Last year, I read her book, The God I Love, "subtitled "A Lifetime of Walking With Jesus." It was written in 2003, and very inspirational as well.

Hey, I'm going to jump into your conversation & suggest a fun fictional book that both of you might enjoy reading: Parrot & Olivier in America by Peter Carey. I really enjoyed it.

"
: In this vivid and visceral work of historical fiction, two-time Booker Prize winner Peter Carey imagines the experiences of Alexis de Tocqueville, the great French political philosopher and author of
. Carey brings de Tocqueville to life through the fictionalized character of Olivier de Garmont, a coddled and conceited French aristocrat. Olivier can only begin to grasp how the other half lives when forced to travel to the New World with John "Parrot" Larrit, a jaded survivor of lifelong hardship who can’t stand his young master who he is expected to spy on for the overprotective Maman Garmont back in Paris. Parrot and Olivier are a mid-nineteenth-century Oscar and Felix who represent the highest and lowest social registers of the Old World, yet find themselves unexpectedly pushed together in the New World. This odd couple’s stark differences in class and background, outlook and attitude—which are explored in alternating chapters narrated by each—are an ingenious conceit for presenting to contemporary readers the unique social experiment that was democracy in the early years of America."