Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week two

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Mockingjay and The Secret Life of Houdini last week (Saturday and Saturday respectively).

I'm working on The Mysterious Benedict Society right now. My husband beat me. After that I'll try to finish up Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed the World.

I'm stocking up because February should be harder.

The Goal is 52 books - how you get there is up to you. Think that is going to be my new motto. :)

LA LA LA LA LAH... I am covering my eyes! I did not read that! If I did, I'd already be thinking, "December's a great month to cram in 52 books."

Signed,

Still finishing up Week 1's I Run, Therefore I'm Nuts (Author's humor isn't 200 page worthy)

while getting into Forbidden Nation: a History of Taiwan (Surprised that the author has already floated the One Nation, Two System idea as being tied to the late 1800s).

I've been considering For the Children's Sake. Is it worth reading?

It is worth it if you are interested in a very brief (161 pages) summary of Charlotte Mason's teachings. I have already read A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola, so I didn't find much new information.

I've read Lord of the Flies and Charlie St. Cloud this week.

I just loved Charlie St Cloud. I really loved it. A short read, stirred something within me and made me cry. I haven't cried reading a book in a long, long time.

I love that this challenge is making me read different books I wouldn't normally pick. I tend to stay within a certain genre for a long, long time.

Now I need to rent the movie . . .

Lisa

I've set aside Cutting for Stone for now. I'm undecided if I'll finish it or not.

In the meantime, I picked up a book from my shelves (a goal of mine this year -- to read books I actually have :lol: rather than always have bunches from the library) & started reading People Die. So far, I'm enjoying this slightly noir assassin's tale....

"From Publishers Weekly

A freelance hit man with MI6 and the CIA on his client roster lands on a hit list himself, without a clue as to why, in Wignall's smashing debut. JJ Hoffman has a lucrative life as a top assassin with a golden rep on both sides of the pond. His routine is disrupted when he finds his Paris handler in a sex-death frame-up, then discovers that his contact number has been disconnected. Cut loose and now a target, he races to his girlfriend's Geneva apartment too late to save her. American Ed Holden, who's also a target, says he has info that may save them both and arranges a meeting in Vermont through London-based CIA agent Tom Furst, the only one they both trust. When JJ learns the meeting is at a Vermont bed and breakfast run by Susan Bostridge, the wife of a rogue U.S. agent he shot two years ago, he balks, but soon finds that he has no other option. Arriving in Vermont days before Ed, he meets Susan and becomes attached to her and her two kids, who seem to forgive him for killing their dad. Things get stranger when Holden arrives and spills his plan to derail their pursuer, who is revealed to be a former client attempting to cover up an action gone wrong. Crisp, lean prose with assault rifle impact zips the reader across international borders and delineates quirky, engaging characters. The plot is worthy of the best British spymasters, making Wignall an author to watch."

3. Camara Laye, The Radiance of the King

A very strange novel written in French by a West African author in 1954, reprinted by NYRB. Apparently parabolic at the very end, it's unclear throughout what is occurring in reality and what is occurring in the main character's mind. In one chapter, when he is being led through a forest and may be going in circles or may be simply drifting into a semi-conscious and delusional state, the narrative tense switches from past to present, reverting to past tense when he emerges. Highly recommended.

Vocabulary looked up: caravanserai, boubou, clart

2. St. Augustine, Sermons for Christmas and Epiphany

1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

0. Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars*

*Finished New Year's Eve, 2010

Edited by Sharon in Austin

I just have to say . . . . . . I AM SO MAD AT YOU GUYS!!!!! (Not really!:D)

I finished my first-week book last Friday, and then started my 2nd book on Saturday --- The Hunger Games series got me!!! Ds wanted to read them, and I told him I would skim the first book in order to see what it was all about --- I know the discussions that have happened about that series. I stayed up until nearly midnight last night, finishing MockingJay!!! (Now I have to get back to the unimportant things like laundry, cleaning, etc. LOL Thanks, ladies!:rolleyes::D)

I loved the Hunger Games Trilogy, although I think they altered Katniss's personality too much in Mockinjay.

I was trying to read The Celtic Realms, but although the subject matter is interesting, the writing is dry and hard to get through. I'll keep plugging away, but I've added Charlie St. Cloud to this week. I'll be able to finish that by tomorrow.

I loved the Hunger Games Trilogy, although I think they altered Katniss's personality too much in Mockinjay.

I was trying to read The Celtic Realms, but although the subject matter is interesting, the writing is dry and hard to get through. I'll keep plugging away, but I've added Charlie St. Cloud to this week. I'll be able to finish that by tomorrow.

I agree; it just didn't seem like the Katniss we had gotten to know so well in the first two books.

I enjoyed the Hunger Games, too.

Anyway, I'm on track to finish "The Virgin's Lover" by this weekend, I think.

I just reserved "The Year Of The Flood" by Margaret Atwood at my library to read next. Has anyone read it? Will I love it? :) I actually haven't read much by her (I read and loved "The Handmaid's Tale" years ago, and then in more recent years I read one other by her whose title I can't recall and had a very hard time getting into it).

I finished my second book today. "Mansfield Park" It has been a few years since I last read it. As of today, it is my least favorite Jane Austen book. I have three more to go (all of which I've read before) but I'm pretty sure this will still come in last.

I lead my dd's Jane Austen Literature Study group and I can't wait to see how all the girls liked this one. We meet in a couple hours. :D

Read so far...

2. Mansfield Park

1. Enchantment

I just finished (20 minutes ago) The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey. Really good!! (Some violence and gore, but excellent storytelling and vocabulary--I'd say it's YA more than teen, but I just handed it to my almost 17yo to read. I don't think there's a single curse word in it, either.)

No children at home so I am going through a lot of books for comfort.

In Progress:

Drawing A Likeness (Graves)

Art of Argument (Why oh why did I not read this book before?)

Inner Fish

Nan in Mass Running List:

Light Thickens (Ngaio Marsh) - Macbeth theme, which is fun.

Tied up in Tinsel (Ngaio Marsh)

Final Curtain (Ngaio Marsh)

The New Global Student - again, just as annoying as ever but comforting while the youngest is in Japan

Grave Mistake (Ngaio Marsh)

Bloomability - young adult, nice

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I've *almost* finished Helen Keller's autobiography. What an inspirational story! I'm so glad I read it directly after Climbing Parnassus-- it was really a good compliment. Helen's education was more along the lines of CM than CP-- French & German in addition to Greek and Latin, etc. (At this point, I see the classical "Athenian" CM model as leaning far closer to the model I wish to follow, than the "Spartan" CP one. Shakespeare, Whittier, Dickens, Greek, Latin, German, French, Art, Music-- Bring it on!)

Although Helen's story is wonderful, I'm enjoying Sullivan's (her teacher's) letters in the appendix even more. As a home educator myself, it is very interesting to read her daily struggles and successes as Helen grows, learns, matures. I'm very impressed with the lengthy letters Helen herself composed at such a young age! Do we expect too little of our young today? Plenty of food for thought here.

Helen's favorite story was Little Lord Fauntleroy. I've never read it, but happen to have a gorgeous 1899 edition sitting on my shelf. Seems like a good candidate for book #3. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom

I read and enjoyed A Local Habitation which is the second of an urban fantasy series by Seanan McGuire.

I also enjoyed the Young Adult novel The Cardturner by Louis Sachar, the author of Holes. I think much of my enjoyment stemmed from the fact that I used to play Bridge. Bridge is a big part of the storyline.

Regards,

Kareni

Finished "Simplicity Parenting" last night. Good book, I have a nice list of things to implement.

Starting "Margins" and still working on "How To Read A Book". I'll probably re-read LCC this week since I'm tweaking the rest of the school year. I'm also setting a mini-goal to read 1 book a month from my eReader.

Amy

I've started two books this week, and stopped both. Neither could hold my interest. I'm picking up a book from the library tonight.

Same here. Well, one holds my interest, but it's the type I'd rather read gradually. I have another sitting in front of me that I'm going to start to see if it works any better.

Reread Ethan Frome. I'm not fond of tragedies, so I don't know why I love this story so much. This is one of those rare cases where I like both the book and the movie (Liam Neeson).

There's a movie???!!! I didn't know! I'll have to see if the library has it!

I, too, love this story - and, like you, can't really explain why . . . I still have my paperback copy from college (MANY long years ago - it is held together with a rubber gum band!) - and I re-read this book every couple years or so! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I read Murder on Ice because my middle dd wanted me to. I'm not big on murder mysteries and this was nothing stellar to me, but dd likes the humour in it. That makes 4 books that count and one book that doesn't. I need to start a list before I forget.

I was unhappy with several things in Mockingjay, including what happened with Prim, although overall I liked the series. Why didn't the author consult me;)?

I'm going to join in, even though I told myself I didn't want to officially do the challenge this year (after my miserable failure last year), because I've been reading so much so far this year. Maybe I will get to 52! My new Nook is helping :)

so far I've finished:

Sleepwalk With Me by Mike Birbiglia

Franklin and Eleanor: An Extraordinary Marriage by Hazel Rowley

After This by Alice McDermott

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

...and now I'm reading Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home by Laura and Lisa Ling. I'm on a bit of a North Korea kick. I also have Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass checked out as an audiobook, and I'll probably start that tomorrow.

I finished Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn and am currently reading Pursuit of Honor by Vince Flynn.

I also want to finish reading The Mother's Rule of Life that I started last week.

I love Vince Flynn, especially Extreme Measures. I got my dh started on his books and he has read every single one - I'm still catching up. And I also liked The Mother's Rule of Life - which I need to re-read.

On a related note, I finished Surprised by Joy (C.S. Lewis) - which I found mostly boring, with a few parts I liked. I had expected to like it much more, since Mere Christianity is such a favorite of mine and integral to my becoming a Christian.

Edited by Dana in OR

Well, I gave up on Metamorphoses.... realized that I just don't like long, epic poetry enough to drag myself through that just to say I had read it!

I did just read and review The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger. It's a graphic novel, which is not something I typically read, but I loved it!!

Next up... A Hidden Affair by Pam Jenoff. A book I picked up on a whim from the new releases shelf while I'm waiting for my requests to come in!

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

...and now I'm reading Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home by Laura and Lisa Ling. I'm on a bit of a North Korea kick. I also have Anne Tyler's Noah's Compass checked out as an audiobook, and I'll probably start that tomorrow.

What was this one like? I have Two Koreas on my list to read and I had forgotten about the Ling sisters' book.

What was this one like? I have Two Koreas on my list to read and I had forgotten about the Ling sisters' book.

It was really well done. It's based primarily on interviews with six different defectors (along with a lot of historical and political information), and she does a great job of weaving the stories together into a coherent narrative. I think they all defected in the mid to late 90's, maybe into the early 2000's, so it largely deals with conditions in NK in the 90's. There's also some stuff at the end about defectors trying to integrate into South Korean society, which is another fascinating thing to read about.

I'm going to try to accomplish 52 books this year, but I'm already behind. I love books that are long and I may need to pick some shorter books to make it to 52. ;)

I just finished my first book of the year. Working full-time doesn't give me a lot of free time to read. The book I finished is The Book Thief. It had an interesting style of writing. I really liked the book, but am still not sure I liked the writing style.

My next book will be Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. A couple of co-workers recommended it to me. It takes place in Seattle, so that should also make it an interesting read. And, it is about half the size of Book Thief, so maybe it will help me get more on track for reading a book a week.

Edited by Stacy in WA

Finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks this morning! LOVED IT! It was bittersweet, fascinating, frustrating, overwhelming, enlightening, ethically challenging, and wonderful all at the same time. I highly recommend it!

Off to begin The Art of Racing in the Rain. Here's hoping I can complete it for tomorrow to end the week almost caught up to where I should be. :)

I just finished my first book of the year. Working full-time doesn't give me a lot of free time to read. The book I finished is The Book Thief. It had an interesting style of writing. I really liked the book, but am still not sure I liked the writing style.

I loved the style. I love that Death tells the story.

I did it. I finally read Anna Karenina. Didn't have a clue about what was going to happen in the story so could kind of see it as it developed. Am I surprised? No. Worth reading. Yes. Won't get into details so don't spoil it for those going to read. Have no idea what going to read next. My brain is pretty much saturated at this point.

Don't forget to check out the Saturday Review of books at Semicolon's. Great way to discover what everyone else has been reading and also you can link to your reviews.

I did it. I finally read Anna Karenina. Didn't have a clue about what was going to happen in the story so could kind of see it as it developed. Am I surprised? No. Worth reading. Yes.

Yay! I read it for the first time a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

I did it. I finally read Anna Karenina. Didn't have a clue about what was going to happen in the story so could kind of see it as it developed. Am I surprised? No. Worth reading. Yes. Won't get into details so don't spoil it for those going to read. Have no idea what going to read next. My brain is pretty much saturated at this point.

Yay! I read it for the first time a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

Hmm, is it better than Crime and Punishment? I couldn't stand that one and dropped it.

I finished "The Virgin's Lover" by Philippa Gregory and picked up "The Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood from the library to read this week!

Alexa and I finished reading "Skellig" by David Almond together, and we will be starting "Ida B and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World" by Katherine Hannigan together this week. It's a children's book, but a 246 page one!

Hmm, is it better than Crime and Punishment? I couldn't stand that one and dropped it.

I have yet to read Crime and Punishment, but, it's on my list of "books I need to read" :001_smile:

As for Anna Karenina, while it's a time-consuming read, I found it fascinating for the most part, and, certainly, a worthwhile read . In addition to the main plot-line, there are a few interesting sub-plots.

I came away with a vivid picture of the major changes Russian society was going through at the time.

For me, the only parts that dragged a bit were the very detailed, very lengthy agriculture-related descriptions.

It was really well done. It's based primarily on interviews with six different defectors (along with a lot of historical and political information), and she does a great job of weaving the stories together into a coherent narrative. I think they all defected in the mid to late 90's, maybe into the early 2000's, so it largely deals with conditions in NK in the 90's. There's also some stuff at the end about defectors trying to integrate into South Korean society, which is another fascinating thing to read about.

thanks! I'm going to add it to my wish list.

I am behind all ready. I am only on book 2 and I have very little time to read! Between schooling and housework I am having a hard time finding a little moment of life to be able to read. I am hoping to finish up The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and then plan on picking up the The Hunger Games this week. Hoping for a quick easy read there!

Just finished last night:

4. Aeschylus, The Oresteia (Agamemnon, The Libation Bearers, The Eumenides); Robert Fagles, Tr.

Our never-ending, all embracing net, I cast it

wide for the royal haul, I coil him round and round

in the wealth, the robes of doom, and then I strike him

once, twice, and at each stroke he cries in agony--

he buckles at the knees and crashes here!

And when he's down I add the third, last blow,

to the Zeus who saves the dead beneath the ground

I send that third blow home in homage like a prayer.

I love the Fagles translation. Can't you hear in that last line the stabs of Clytaemnestra's knife? "I send that third blow home..."

Vocabulary looked up: mantic

3. Camara Laye, The Radiance of the King

2. St. Augustine, Sermons for Christmas and Epiphany

1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

0. Suetonius, The Twelve Caesars*

*Finished New Year's Eve, 2010