Menu

Please tell me the wonders of Aldi

I keep reading about "Aldi" stores. I think they're grocery stories, but people seem to Really, Really like them.

Are they just cheap. . .or what? :)

Really, I have to know!

Aldi is a grocery store. Almost all of what they carry is their own store brand. Except for a fairly small 4 page glossy sales flyer, they don't advertise, thus keeping their prices down. I like shopping there, but the closest one to me is 20 minutes away (I have 2 Aldis in opposite directions, each 20 min. away). I have Kroger about 3 min. away, and a Walmart supercenter 5 min. away, so I go to those usually instead of Aldi. 95% of my purchases are store brand anyway, so I don't have a problem with Aldi's stuff.

ETA: you bag your own purchases, so this is another way they keep their costs down. You can buy bags there (they're not free), or you can bring your own bags or boxes. Sometimes there are empty boxes there available to use, but don't count on it.

Definitely cheap! I can get a gallon of milk (no hormones added) for $1.48. Even when the milk goes on sale at Walmart, it never goes below $2.00! Don't buy name brands there- they're not cheaper. You save when you buy the Aldi brand. The Aldi brand is hit or miss.... I didn't like the mac and cheese, but my kids didn't notice a difference. The chocolate is delicious! I also buy all canned fruit there. I don't buy the meat, and the produce is good when it's seasonal. I got a big bag of oranges for less than $2.00 the other day, and they were really good! Bring a quarter for your shopping cart (it's refundable). You also need to bring your own grocery bags. Cash or debit card (not credit) is the only payment accepted.

Definitely cheap! I can get a gallon of milk (no hormones added) for $1.48. Even when the milk goes on sale at Walmart, it never goes below $2.00! Don't buy name brands there- they're not cheaper. You save when you buy the Aldi brand. The Aldi brand is hit or miss.... I didn't like the mac and cheese, but my kids didn't notice a difference. The chocolate is delicious! I also buy all canned fruit there. I don't buy the meat, and the produce is good when it's seasonal. I got a big bag of oranges for less than $2.00 the other day, and they were really good! Bring a quarter for your shopping cart (it's refundable). You also need to bring your own grocery bags. Cash or debit card (not credit) is the only payment accepted.

Oooh! This makes me happy.

I buy almost store brands almost exclusively, so that is awesome. What's with the meat? Quality or price?

Thanks!

Aldi contracts with major food manufacturers and sells name-brand foods, but under the Aldi label. Aldi is also owned by the same folks who own Trader Joe's, so you may find some of the same food items, but again, wrapped in Aldi packaging. IIRC, the beers, wines and specialty items are TJ's, but with the "generic" labeling. Anything at Aldi that is packaged as a national brand is a "special buy".

The upside to Aldi: It's cheap. And for the most part, the food is just as good as national brands (because they are the national brands). They also sell some produce in a limited selection.

The downside: No organics (that I've seen) and most of the foods are boxed, canned or frozen. That could be an issue if you normally eat organic and fresh foods.

Overall, I do a lot of shopping there and it really helps with the food budget.

I love shopping at Aldi. Aldi is cheap, has only store brands, only one item of each kind - so shopping is incredibly quick since you don't have to decide between 20 kinds of corn flakes.

They have excellent produce, much fresher than at other grocery stores. The selections are limited, but sufficient (about ten kinds of fruit and ten kinds of vegetable, varying with season - right now you find cheap citrus fruit and apples)

What is REALLY great are the European imports. Aldi is a German chain, they carry wonderful European chocolate, have lots of seasonal imports (just at Christmas they had all kinds of German Christmas baked goods). They also have Italian weeks or German weeks where they carry specials from that country. They have some very good bread, too.

The meat is OK, not great; many meats are enhanced with solution and they don't have organic meat.

As others already said: you need a quarter for your shopping cart, you'll get it back once you put the cart in the corral. Bring your own bags - but don't worry if you forget; you can either purchase some, or find a free cardboard box for your stuff.

I buy as much as I can at Aldi. It's inexpensive and I can't stand grocery shopping anyway so I hesitate to go two places. The only stuff I usually can't find there are really absurd spices. I buy Aldi meat - haven't had a problem with quality but that's just my experience. I love that Aldi is small. I get overwhelmed in "real" grocery stores now.

I use e-mealz.com meal planning which has an Aldi menu option. And I know the Aldi website has recipes and a meal planning tool too I think.

Don't forget your quarter and your reusable bags! :D

Definitely cheap! I can get a gallon of milk (no hormones added) for $1.48.

This might depend where you live. It was $3.70 last week at our Aldi's in central PA, which is not any cheaper than the grocery store.

But I do agree about the produce, as well as breads. Also, their hummus is good!

Take care,

Suzanne

Aldi is a mega corporation. It's the German Ikea/Walmart of food. That could be good, or it coud be bad. Aldi owns Trader Joe's. TJ's has never been forthcoming about where their food comes from...so...some of those cheap items could be from China, and certainly some of the organics in both stores are (stated on the package).

Trader Joe folks have been trying to get information about their food sources for a long time. They will not say.

Edited by LibraryLover

Aldi is a mega corporation. It's the German Ikea/Walmart of food. That could be good, or it coud be bad. Aldi owns Trader Joe's. TJ's has never been forthcoming about where their food comes from...so...some of those cheap items could be from China, and certainly some of the organics in both stores are (stated on the package).

Trader Joe folks have been trying to get information about their food sources for a long time. They will not say.

Hmmm, also food for thought. I don't know anything about Trader Joes. I've never even heard of it.

We go there for:

• Bread
  • Snacks for the girls (crackers, fig bars, cookies)
  • Staples (flour, cornbread mix, pancake mix, sugar, salt, pepper, white vinegar [for cleaning], spices, dried beans)
  • Canned beans (try the Mexican Chili beans), canned vegetables, and canned soups (some of them)
  • Produce -- this is the main attraction for me, because produce in the grocery stores here is so HIGH. At Aldi we buy bananas, apples, potatoes (white and sweet), carrots, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, pears (in season), romaine hearts (three in a bag), and whatever else looks good and is a decent price. We find the quality to be superior to the grocery stores, the food lasts longer after we bring it home, and the price is either the same as/lower than the grocery store prices for fresh produce.

We also buy the prepared pizza. It's the fresh, non-frozen, non-cooked kind. I think it's about $6.00 for a whole, large pizza. We bring this home, pop it in the oven, make a romaine salad while the pizza bakes, then have a family supper. Easy and cheap. Good way to get a meal after running errands all day. ;)

Aldi also has excellent chocolate. I've heard they are a German company, so they don't mess around with crummy chocolate. It's a good place to pick up nice "food basket" gifts around Christmas time. We made up a beautiful basket for my sister's family this year, mostly from what we bought at Aldi. This was a way for us to give an affordable gift that was substantial enough to please my picky sister. :lol:

My mom also recently bought two children's coats and hats at Aldi for my twins. HTH.

Added: I don't buy any fish from Aldi. It all seems to be caught off the coast of China, and I don't trust any of it. We don't buy meat there, but I don't really know why... ? We bought ground beef once, and didn't like the taste. We do get ground turkey (in a "roll") and I make turkey chili out of it. HTH. Oh, we also do NOT like any of the salad dressings. Other than that, we've thought the Alid brands are better than some name brands. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

I agree with the suggestion to try the chocolate.:D Aldi tends to have some really fun types of cheese, especially during the holidays. They have great prices on frozen fruit and dairy products. They also carry some nice non-food items -- I especially like their Lacura skin cream and we really liked their diapers when we were in the market for those. HTH. When we cross the state line and shop in WV, the stores carry wine, and we like the $3 cabernet.

I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said! I also do most of my shopping at Aldi's. I use e-mealz.com as well - but not the aldi plan - I find most of the items I need at Aldi's anyway.

One warning - check the labels! Many of their packaged products do contain MSG. I'm not thrilled about that - but I don't think it affects anyone in my family.

Their 100% juice products are great prices as well! I buy the 100% cranberry juices there usually less than what I can find them on sale! And fresh OJ is under $2.50 per half gallon. Our milk is not as cheap as previously posted - but its still just over $3.00 which is a good price compared to the grocaery stores here.

Aldi is cheap. I'm in Texas, and a cart full of food from Aldi is cheaper than just about anywhere else. That's it's main attraction here. :D The milk is also cheaper than most other grocery stores, though our milk prices have been as low as a dollar a gallon recently even in more mainstream stores like Kroger. The eggs at Aldi are regularly $.50/dozen. There is not a very wide selection of brands, or fruits/veggies, ice cream, or anything, really -- they have the basic staples, but what they have is what they have and it does change from time to time. This could actually be considered a bonus, though.

I got the email sales ad this morning and all their Fit & Active foods are on sale. I haven't seen it mentioned yet about their weekly sale *goodies*...this week it's all kinds of fitness equipment...a few weeks ago it was a nice set of Le Creuset-like cookware...once there were all kinds of toys...and lovely imported cookie and chocolate sets. You just never know what the weekly feature will be, but they are always seasonal, exciting, and a great value.

Edited by Blueridge

Yes. http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/do-you-know-who-owns-trader-joes/

www.slashfood.com/2007/01/15/trader-joes-and-aldi/

http://www.utne.com/Environment/The-EcoMyth-of-Trader-Joes.aspx

I'm still sitting here in shock. Aldi's owns TJ's????????????

I love Aldi's. Ours locally has sketchy produce and even sketchier meat, but I spend at least 60% of our grocery budget there.... Our milk and egg prices aren't nearly as competive as those in TX, but they are about 20-30% what I find locally.

Edited by LibraryLover

I get the majority of our groceries there too. Then I hit Walmart or somewhere else once a month for the few things I can't get at Aldi. Stuff like: brown rice, whole wheat flour, whole wheat tortillas, red cabbage (for some reason Aldi only ever has green..) etc. I also do not buy the canned fruits because they do not offer one without being packed in syrup, or natural applesauce or peanut butter. But I just keep a running list of that stuff for the one trip to Walmart later. The produce is super cheap especially when they have sales, and is good quality, although it is not a huge selection like at a big supercenter.

I get most of the weekly stuff at Aldi for WAY less. It is worth the drive.

I was unimpressed. Small selection, lots of packaged and processed foods and a lot we can't eat since we are gluten free. I went once and haven't been back.

I cannot tolerate MSG so there is quite a lot there I wouldn't purchase. I also do not buy canned fruit or veggies. (I get a mix of fresh and frozen depending on prices and sales) I haven't found the produce to be very fresh or nice looking when I have gone and I won't purchase their meat or fish because of additives or because it comes from China.

The additives to the meat are

• Dextrose

• Sodium Phosphates

• Lipolyzed Butterfat

• Sugar

• Hydrolized Corn Protein

• "Spices"

I am allergic to dairy so there is no way.

I generally buy meat on sale and stock up or I try and buy bits of cow with other people. I also get it from Costco. They have ground beef in their freezer section (I think it is like $13 for 5 lbs of 91%?). They also have 10 lb bags of boneless chicken breast for $20.

If you have a costco I would check it out. I buy meat, dry goods, some of our dairy and veggies from there. It might seem like a lot but as long as you do the math you might find it worth it. I do not generally buy the convienance foods which can really set you back a lot of $$

Edited by Sis

I hated Aldis. I tried twice and the smell of the place made we want to vomit. Maybe it was just my store, but I found the products sub-par, full of chemicals and when I did get them home they tasted bad. I kept hearing people rave about the produce and I wan't able to buy a single thing because it was all on the verge of rotting. Maybe I just had a bad store back where I lived, but I will not shop there.

(I do buy only store brands, so that was not the issue)

I got the email sales ad this morning and all their Fit & Active foods are on sale. I haven't seen it mentioned yet about their weekly sale *goodies*...this week it's all kinds of fitness equipment...a few weeks ago it was a nice set of Le Creuset cookware...once there were all kinds of toys...and lovely imported cookie and chocolate sets. You just never know what the weekly feature will be, but they are always seasonal, exciting, and a great value.

We bought our bunk beds there.

From what I understand from friends around the country, it very much depends on your store and the mangement of it. You can pretty much tell after you walk in whether it will be acceptable to you or not. Our Aldi is clean, well stocked, smells fresh and the staff is friendly and helpful. I gather from some that not all Aldi are like that.

I have never had a problem with the meat, and I am pretty picky. I just checked the pork chops and ground beef that I purchased yesterday, and there are no weird things in it like a previous poster has seen. I wonder what kind of meat has those things in it?? (If you know, will you please let me know? Bleh.)

Our produce is usually good. Sometimes you get a bad orange or the lettuce isn't as crisp as Wegmans, but the prices are so good.

My favorites: pretzels (I prefer .99 Aldi brand to Snyders or Rold Gold!), caramel rice cakes, all baking products, canola oil, dairy products such as sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese (prices can't be beat), chocolate chips, tortilla chips, salsa, hummus (like it more than the expensive brands), chicken/beef broth, pepperoni, canned fruit (our Aldi has fruit in its own juice or in pear juice w/ no added sugar), and we use their ziplock bags. I even like their laundry detergent (Tandil). Oh yeah, we love their frozen bags of stir fry veggies, asparagus spears and whole green beans.

These are my routine Aldi purchases, but I know there are many other things that go into the cart. I've never taken anything back. : ) We save a ton by shopping there.

Edited by GraciebytheBay
Forgot the hummus!

Just watch out and don't buy *double* the amount of groceries that you usually do...because you get to bag it all when you're done! My only complaint!

I always use a cardboard box which I place in the cart- after scanning, the checker puts the stuff in the box (she sets fragile items aside, so those I have to set on top). Instantly packed, does not tip over in the car, can be reused many times.

If I have too much stuff, I just grab a second box - the usually have a few around the store.

Aldi contracts with major food manufacturers and sells name-brand foods, but under the Aldi label. Aldi is also owned by the same folks who own Trader Joe's, so you may find some of the same food items, but again, wrapped in Aldi packaging. IIRC, the beers, wines and specialty items are TJ's, but with the "generic" labeling. Anything at Aldi that is packaged as a national brand is a "special buy".

The upside to Aldi: It's cheap. And for the most part, the food is just as good as national brands (because they are the national brands). They also sell some produce in a limited selection.

The downside: No organics (that I've seen) and most of the foods are boxed, canned or frozen. That could be an issue if you normally eat organic and fresh foods.

Overall, I do a lot of shopping there and it really helps with the food budget.

:iagree: For those on a budget, Aldi is our fave!! So far, the only thing we have disliked were the frozen (plain) chicken breasts and sliced processed cheese. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS DELICIOUS!! I buy the marinated frozen chicken breasts and they are yummy! ;)

From what I understand from friends around the country, it very much depends on your store and the mangement of it.

Yes. I was surprised reading back through this thread that people said their Aldi was gross. Our Aldi is beautiful. It's so clean, well maintained, the staff are wonderful, and their fruit & veggies are awesome! They also sell rice milk & many other items that even my local grocery store don't carry. We love Aldi!

Susan

They are owned by the same family, from what I understand. I find them comparable if not the same. TJs just has more 'specialty' items.

Actually, ALDI (SUD - US chain owns both TJs and ALDI in No. America) are owned by German billionaire brothers. Trader Joe's is owned by a "trust" created by the ALDI family. In 1960, TJs made a departing split from ALDI between brothers. One brother ran ALDI (North - Europe) and the other ALDI (SUD - US and TJs). ALDI in Europe is akin to WalMart -- only smaller. TJ's is more upscale and prices rock bottom. And yes, the same food manufacturer produces the same food -- only with different labels. You get more white bread at ALDIs and whole grain at Trader Joes.

"About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founders Karl & Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs. But where Aldi carries such basics as toilet paper and canned peas, TJ's, as it's known, stocks eclectic and upscale foodstuffs for the wine-and-cheese set at down-to-earth prices."

I buy milk - $2.19 a gallon, and eggs - $1.49 a dozen at Aldi's. I can't get those prices anywhere else. There are a few other things I like there too. Canned nuts (esp. cashews), dark chocolate, wine, and a number of dairy products. I haven't noticed a problem with meat, but often I can get a better price on sale at Publix, or just the regular price at BJ's.

Our Aldi's produce looks pretty good, but starts rotting in the car on the way home. :confused1: Really, I could buy it today, but when I go to use it tomorrow it's already starting to go bad. I don't buy bread there because pretty much all they have is white. The few whole wheat products they do have, also contain high fructose corn syrup.

I save on a number of things there, even though we buy very little packaged food. Thankfully, I have Aldi, Publix, Wal Mart, and Target all within a reasonable radius, so I don't mind shopping more than one store.

And I can't figure out why other people do.

It's less expensive than our bigger grocery stores. There is not much organic. The produce always looks a bit tired. I don't trust the meat. The breads are just soooooo low rent. There is a lot of junky snacky stuff. I hate the brand name "fit and active." It just annoys me. Fit and active describes people, not food. It's like they think I am stupid enough to believe that their brand of goldfish is somehow going to make me more active than someone else's, lol.

I think the vegetables at Costco are actually nicer and fresher seeming (though usually not organic). Trader Joes has so many products that are so much nicer than what Aldi's has there is no comparison, same ownership or not.

Yep...I do some shopping at our local Aldi stores, but wish TJ's was near.

Actually, ALDI (SUD - US chain owns both TJs and ALDI in No. America) are owned by German billionaire brothers. Trader Joe's is owned by a "trust" created by the ALDI family. In 1960, TJs made a departing split from ALDI between brothers. One brother ran ALDI (North - Europe) and the other ALDI (SUD - US and TJs). ALDI in Europe is akin to WalMart -- only smaller. TJ's is more upscale and prices rock bottom. And yes, the same food manufacturer produces the same food -- only with different labels. You get more white bread at ALDIs and whole grain at Trader Joes.

"About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founders Karl & Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs. But where Aldi carries such basics as toilet paper and canned peas, TJ's, as it's known, stocks eclectic and upscale foodstuffs for the wine-and-cheese set at down-to-earth prices."

Not all Aldi's are alike.

There are three equal distance from me and each is very very different.

I go to one for the cool holiday specials, teas, and "speciality" food items like the nutella knock off.

I got to another for the many msg-free, food coloring & hfcs-free chocolate always available, and the best frozen fruit selection

The third is a dismal little store with just the basics and non of Aldi's glory. But when you need the basics and it's on the route it works.

But over all the fresh produce at Aldi's is fresher and longer lasting that whatever I've bought from Jewel, WalMart or Meijers. For the produce alone it's worth it. But things do come and go seasonally. The basics like potatoes, celery, broccoli, cabbage and the like are always there though.

If you don't like your Aldi, try another nearby. You might be surprised.

My mother was. I took her shopping and she was like, "WOW, I didn't know Aldi was could be so good!" Obviously the Aldi in her town lacks. Unfortunately for us we may be moving there.

Ah, well, one can always complain and ask for special orders. :D

Edited by CalicoKat

I really love shopping at Aldi for everything except detergent, most produce- although many fruits are pretty good, mac and cheese or most meat (and the meat is just because I am a meat market snob). They are all at least 35 min away so it isn't always cost effective to drive to them but when I go out of town I try to plan my shopping trips to coincide.

I really detest large super stores. I seem to always get a headache when I step into stores like Walmart- like sensory overload or something. I like when I go to Aldi it is small and simple. That suits me. I do wish they had a few more selections in some areas but overall it disgusts me how much sits on shelves in large grocery stores....yeah like there needs to be 28 varieties of peanut butter.... seriously. :001_huh:

So yeah, Aldi rocks! And I don't mind bagging my own groceries because frankly most of the yay-hoos bagging at the bigger stores stink at it. I know how much my bags can handle and it is good environmentally to just reuse. And my kids get a kick out of the quarter machine on the carts. They still think they can stick the chain piece into the rear of the quarter compartment and get our own quarter out while we are in the store. It is quite entertaining to watch them try. :001_smile: