Menu

2011 Knitting challenge!

Anyyyyyyyyyybody can join up to a "book a week" or "book a month" challenge, but it takes someone reallllllllllllyyy spiffy to join up for a "square a month" challenge. I know there are heaps of truly spiffy knitters here, but this thread is not for them. This thread is for wannabe knitters like me. I know you are out there, come and keep me company while I plod through this otherwise lonely and possibly torturous campaign. (I'm a pathetically slow knitter. Your cat can probably knit faster than me.)

I'm planning to use this book: http://www.amazon.com/200-Knitted-Blocks-Traditional-Contemporary/dp/1564775968/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293698764&sr=8-1

I started with this about 4 years ago, and found that knitting with small children around was not a Fun Thing and decided to go back to my embroidery. Then I found they wouldn't let that be a Fun Thing any more either so I had to put that away too. :glare: ;)

But now I have decided that I'm fed up of not continuing to learn to knit, and I like torturing myself with handicrafts I'm crappy at, so here I am, begging for company. What do you rekon? We could post pics of our efforts on the last day of each month.

:D

Rosie

Can I half join? Cos I don't want to knit blocks.

But as you know my mum spun me some beautiful merino /silk and I want to do something with it. In fact I found a pattern on Ravelry and bought everything- on the front page it said size 4 needles....didnt say i needed circular needles, did it? So there I was sitting watching TV and ready to start, then realised i needed circular needles which I have never used and dont really want to cos I like my bamboo straight ones. SO now I have to go find another pattern.

But I would like to be part of a knitting club and maybe this could be it?

I just ordered this book here instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Gorgeous-Knitted-Afghans-Creative-Knitters/dp/1600593240/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Hope that it'll still qualify me....The reviews says it's also for beginners so I'll try it and see. The baby blanket I made from simple blocks is so cute adn I loved doing it so I am looking forward to this.

One of my projects is a knitting stitch sampler blanket so I would like to join. I want to work on lace & cables for my squares right now. First I have to learn how to do cables. But I will also be doing other projects as I am doing the yearly knit along at the Carefree blog for Crystal Palace Yarns. So I will be doing 1 large project each month this year.

So exciting and I would love to knit with the rest of you.:001_smile:

So is this a sampler kind of challenge? I think I'd be interested. I'm a knitter, but still have to learn so many things, especially cables. I joined a toe-up sock challenge on ravelry that I'm excited about too.

Is there a WTM group over there for us homeschooling knitters/crocheters?

I can crochet and do VERY simple knitting but I would like to make some dishrags to use instead of sponges. Then I will try to move on to some more complicated things. I'm not a HUGE crocheted blanket fan but if you had my DH's grandmother in your family you would understand:tongue_smilie:

Sure, why not. I didn't include crocheters coz I'm jealous that I can't crochet. :tongue_smilie:But that's hardly mature and hospitable, is it?

Maybe if I complete this challenge, I'll let myself graduate to learning to crochet in 2012. ;)

Rosie

I am on the opposite side of the spectrum here, I can crochet but can't knit... jealous here too!

I did buy some spiffy new bamboo knitting needles to learn with (OK so they were free with Amazons 4 for 3 deal but whatever :tongue_smilie:) so I think I will try it out.

I think I can get 1 square done a month.... I hope

Can I half join? Cos I don't want to knit blocks.

But as you know my mum spun me some beautiful merino /silk and I want to do something with it. In fact I found a pattern on Ravelry and bought everything- on the front page it said size 4 needles....didnt say i needed circular needles, did it? So there I was sitting watching TV and ready to start, then realised i needed circular needles which I have never used and dont really want to cos I like my bamboo straight ones. SO now I have to go find another pattern.

But I would like to be part of a knitting club and maybe this could be it?

Oh Peela--- try circulars! You'll learn to love them! I knit A LOT and probably 99% of the time I use circulars, even for "straight" projects. To me, they're easier to hold than straight needles, and when you put your knitting down or away for a while, you just shove the work onto the cables and it's held there; no worries about stitches slipping off. Plus, if you're knitting something that's supposed to be round, like a neck warmer, there's no seaming!

I really encourage you to give circulars a try---

astrid

This sounds like fun. I have joined some Knit A Long (KAL) yahoo groups for dishcloths and plan on working thru their free patterns this year. Honestly, I joined last fall but with moving and all that I stopped knitting. Most send out 5-10 rows of knitting that need to be completed each day. I keep telling myself I can do that and do everything else I want to do each day. Between those groups and Ravelry.com I have lots of patterns I want to try.

oh, i'll join! i am a very poor knitter.... half-way decent crocheter..., and fairly good with a loom. my abilities don't exceed making scarves, hats, and slipper socks though...so this will be great challenge for me! my biggest issue is that i absolutely cannot understand written instructions regarding knitting/crocheting, etc. i need a visual...so if it isn't on youtube, i can't figure it out:blush:. perhaps someone here can help me get over that hump.

oh, i'll join! i am a very poor knitter.... half-way decent crocheter..., and fairly good with a loom. my abilities don't exceed making scarves, hats, and slipper socks though...so this will be great challenge for me! my biggest issue is that i absolutely cannot understand written instructions regarding knitting/crocheting, etc. i need a visual...so if it isn't on youtube, i can't figure it out:blush:. perhaps someone here can help me get over that hump.

Have you tried the patterns that are charts, like cross stitch charts? I have read people online that prefer them that way. They confuse me though.

Have you tried the patterns that are charts, like cross stitch charts? I have read people online that prefer them that way. They confuse me though.

no, i'll need to google that! the patterns i see, look like this...

BAG

With crochet hook, using A, ch 4, join with a sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: With A, work 7 sc’s in ring, join with a sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc’s in each sc, join with a sl st in ch-1 – 14 sc’s.

Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 2– 28 sc’s.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, * 2 sc’s in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * around, join with a sl st in ch-1 – 42 sc’s. Change to B.

Rnds 5 and 6: Work even in sc with B – 42 sc’s.

etc.

it makes me want to freak out & drink whisky while i work, lol. so i just stick with youtube usually. my good friend in CA is on ravelry & an amazing knitter/crocheter. i just got skype & she said she'd help me....so there is hope perhaps for a novice like myself.

I find some patterns very frustrating as well. It doesn't help that dd3 interrupts me constantly or takes out a needle if I leave it for a moment either. I love the youtube videos and the ones at knittinghelp.com. I also stick to dishcloths right now. You can learn lots of stitches on those.

I started with this about 4 years ago, and found that knitting with small children around was not a Fun Thing and decided to go back to my embroidery. Then I found they wouldn't let that be a Fun Thing any more either so I had to put that away too. :glare: ;)

Rosie

What a great challenge, Rosie! I found my knitting didn't really take off until my youngest was about 3. I had tinkered with it some until then and learned the hard way to put my knitting away up high when I was done with it. Little kids just looooooove pulling on yarn and needles.

I've joined a challenge on Ravelry to knit a pair of socks each month. I have the yarn; just need to actually put it to use!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's progress on their projects. :001_smile:

Oh Peela--- try circulars! You'll learn to love them! I knit A LOT and probably 99% of the time I use circulars, even for "straight" projects. To me, they're easier to hold than straight needles, and when you put your knitting down or away for a while, you just shove the work onto the cables and it's held there; no worries about stitches slipping off. Plus, if you're knitting something that's supposed to be round, like a neck warmer, there's no seaming!

astrid

:iagree:

I knit everything on circulars now.

I've just started loom knitting and made three hats. :D <---very proud of herself.

I'd like to join - I bought the flat loom too, so I should be able to make flat squares though I don't know if I can do the patterns in the book with it.

But I would love to be part of a group that will keep me from putting it to the side.

I'd join but the two cats and the one preschooler make everything I try NOT a Fun Thing. Maybe in a few years?

:leaving:

Man, can I understand! I first learned to knoit when ds10 was just 2yo. I never had time to knit. My dd3 isn't very helpful either. My cats interestingly aren't interested in my knitting unless I am actually doing it. The occassional wiggle of the string is just more than they can resist :lol:. I seem to do most of my knitting as I ride in the car (while dh is driving) or one night a week if I leave the house, go to a local coffee shop, and just spend time with my free refill cup and myself.

I want too!!!! I might have to alternate a book and a square though :D.

This is also my problem! When I escape to a coffee shop or ride in the car, I'm reading! Adding knitting would just complicate things! Of course, DH would LOVE it if I knit - it's a big thing in his family - but he's just going to have to wait.

Well, I don't know how to knit but I'd like to learn. I thought I'd join you to learn and for a fun challenge but then I saw THIS

no, i'll need to google that! the patterns i see, look like this...

BAG

With crochet hook, using A, ch 4, join with a sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: With A, work 7 sc’s in ring, join with a sl st in first sc.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc’s in each sc, join with a sl st in ch-1 – 14 sc’s.

Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 2– 28 sc’s.

Rnd 4: Ch 1, * 2 sc’s in next sc, sc in next sc, rep from * around, join with a sl st in ch-1 – 42 sc’s. Change to B.

Rnds 5 and 6: Work even in sc with B – 42 sc’s.

Egads . . . I don't think so!

You can find us here.

Thanks! I joined up.

Peela, what is your pattern for? Unless it's a hat or sock or has a million stitches, you can probably get by with straights. I'm another who knits everything on circulars though. So much easier and I'm not dropping stitches anymore when I put it away.

Well, I don't know how to knit but I'd like to learn. I thought I'd join you to learn and for a fun challenge but then I saw THIS

Egads . . . I don't think so!

Yeah, that is off-putting. Start slow at knittinghelp.com They have wonderful videos and instructions. You don't have to start with that printed pattern. And, you can learn more from youtube and ravelry.com. Those 3 sites are how I have learned most of my stuff.

Sure, why not. I didn't include crocheters coz I'm jealous that I can't crochet. :tongue_smilie:But that's hardly mature and hospitable, is it?

Maybe if I complete this challenge, I'll let myself graduate to learning to crochet in 2012. ;)

Rosie

:thumbup: Yay!

Learned to knit last year! :) YouTube really, really helped!

FWIW, and maybe that isn't much, I found it easier to start with the Dave Ramsay knitting plan. :P It's where you do quick little projects so that the gratification pushes you forward to bigger & better, kwim? :D

Oh but I did knit ONE sock! :)

My goal for 2011 is socks. More than one, ideally, since I have two feet and all.

astrid

OK Astrid, I am going to do it.

Last night I spent a couple of hours looking on Ravelry and elsewhere for a cardigan pattern that doesnt use circulars....no luck! So many lovely patterns...none on straights. ANd whileI can knit up a decent pair of socks, I dont feel competent to use straights on a circular pattern...yet.

So I went to You Tube and watched a demo of how to use circulars. Duh. Not exactly difficult, are they? It is just a mental block, and the fact I know no other knitters in my real life other than my mother on the other side of Australia.

So today I am going to go and find myself a pair of circulars at the knitting shop- the right size, and overcome my circular inhibitions.

But now I have decided that I'm fed up of not continuing to learn to knit, and I like torturing myself with handicrafts I'm crappy at, so here I am, begging for company. What do you rekon? We could post pics of our efforts on the last day of each month.

Rosie

Rosie, you crack me up. Can we be crappy craft sisters?

So is this a sampler kind of challenge?

That was pretty much my idea, yeah. :)

I want too!!!! I might have to alternate a book and a square though :D.

Ha ha, dh is going to start Lord of the Rings as a read aloud. Well, when he finds the book. One of the kids has run off with it :glare: I think I'll do my knitting then. Y'know, AFTER the toddler has GONE TO BED! Audiobooks count, so listening to dh read should count too, I rekon. Besides, he has decided to do a book a month challenge and I need to be supportive :D

FWIW, and maybe that isn't much, I found it easier to start with the Dave Ramsay knitting plan. :P It's where you do quick little projects so that the gratification pushes you forward to bigger & better, kwim? :D

Why do you think I'm knitting blocks? :lol:

Groovy! I wasn't expecting so many replies! Let's not put this into a social group. Lots of people on the general board like to lurk in these sorts of threads. Look how many new additions have been inspired to join the book challenge thread! So I'll post a thread on Jan 31 for everyone to upload pics and comments on their progress, huh? Clearly it will need to be labeled "Fibre Crafter Challenge" rather than knitters only :) Woo hoo!

Rosie- now hankering after a new tablet weaving book because I don't know how to set up my new loom, even though I knows there isn't a chance of doing everything I want to do in the new year. I would just like you all to know that I started my handmade gifts for next Christmas last night. (Why isn't there a raspberry blowing smilie?) Embroidery, not knitting though :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Rosie_0801

I'm in.... Well... I think. Ha ha!

I told my 20yog that I would make 2011 the "year of the cross stitch" because I started a picture for her when she was 16 and haven't done it...

I have crocheted here and there. I have knitted a basic knit. I would love to learn more, but I think my 20yog would get miffed!

Maybe I can take a picture of my stitching once a month to show my progress and it will push me forward to finishing it! (It's a big project...sigh)

If I feel like I belong to a group, that would help! I'm a sucker for group therapy!

I told my 20yog that I would make 2011 the "year of the cross stitch" because I started a picture for her when she was 16 and haven't done it...

Maybe I can take a picture of my stitching once a month to show my progress and it will push me forward to finishing it! (It's a big project...sigh)

If I feel like I belong to a group, that would help! I'm a sucker for group therapy!

How could we deny a plea like this? You may join if your 20 year old posts a formal thankyou to all of us on Dec 31 for our support.

:lol:

Rosie

My dds and I learned to knit last November (well I knew how but haven't done it in years). We were knitting scarves for orphans in the Ukraine and they were sent through a church here that supports that ministry. We made around 8 scarves to send in about a month.

We LOVED it...so much so that I am now knitting an afghan on circular needles (Peela they freaked me out at first too but they are super easy to use!) I picked the easiest pattern in the book even though it's not my favorite as I need to learn how to read patterns better - one of the reasons I never really knitted over the years.

I just joined Ravelry and the WTM group over there...will have to figure out how everything works over there later.

Anyways...I'll probably not do the squares but I'm sure I will have lots of projects to add to the thread. I have several scarves to knit and also a several requests for afghans....so I'm sure I'll stay busy.

I've been wanting to do this: http://www.knit-a-square.com/index.html

So this seems like a good way to get me and keep me going. It would be cool to do one square a week, but that may be a bit much. Does this qualify for the group, Rosie? Hope so.

Nice link :)

Hang on, square a week? Who said anything about a square a week? :svengo:

Yes this qualifies :) Any fibre craft qualifies, and it seems that embroidery needs to qualify too. Oi! Does anything not qualify? :lol: Books have their own thread, but is this now a Crafting challenge? (I need to know what to put in the thread subject line ;) )

Rosie

Nice link :)

Hang on, square a week? Who said anything about a square a week? :svengo:

Yes this qualifies :) Any fibre craft qualifies, and it seems that embroidery needs to qualify too. Oi! Does anything not qualify? :lol: Books have their own thread, but is this now a Crafting challenge? (I need to know what to put in the thread subject line ;) )

Rosie

Oh, Rosie, if embroidery count I would love to participate! I've been thinking of doing a square for each of the holy mysteries and if I do 2 squares per month, i'll be finished by Christmas (almost) and can give it to my family!

If you go that route, I'm in!