Menu

Why I've decided I don't like my Kindle

I saved for months to buy a Kindle and loved it at first.

Now, six months later, I've decided I'm probably not going to use it that much anymore. If I had to go back, I wouldn't have purchased it. Since I've never heard anyone else ever say that, I thought I'd share why:

1) I had been reading chapter books to my girls from the Kindle. One day, I was at the library and saw the book we were reading -- Understood Betsy -- and brought it home. The book had several illustrations, which the Kindle did not, and that made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the rest of the book.

2) I found I was spending way more money that I would like on books. Before I got the Kindle, I spent almost nothing, between the library and trades at the used bookstore. But in six months I spent over $90 on Kindle books. Worse, at least three purchases ended up being books I hated and/or never finished. And I probably could have gotten every single one (although not as quickly or impulsively) through the library and spent $0.

3) I found I often want to flip back and forth ... "Wait, who was that character? Let me read the section on "x" again," etc, and I found that very cumbersome, and sometimes almost impossible, on the Kindle.

4) I know most people don't feel this way, but I just feel like I'm not getting the "whole book" when I don't see the cover, turn the pages, physically see how much I've read and the distance, so to speak, between sections, see the fonts, etc. I feel like I'm missing an element of depth -- kinda like one of my senses is being left out of the experience.

So there it is. I know I'm in the minority. And I would definitely recommend the Kindle for anyone who travels a lot, or uses public transportation. But for me ... if I could go back, I would pass on that purchase.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking at getting one, mostly for classics for school. I'm sure ds will be using it more than me. I feel the same way about real books. I feel the same way about virtual music too. I still buy the CD, so I feel I'm getting the whole experience, cover art, lyrics, etc.

I spent a lot on books anyway, but I've been able to find free versions at Amazon on many of titles we'll be reading in the next few years. I tend to buy two copies of many books so ds and I will each have a copy. So it might save me money. I appreciate you sharing its downfalls.

:iagree:

My husband bought me one a couple of years ago and I instantly sent it back. I like the tactile experience of reading a real book and find that while I love my gadgets, I still want a book I can lay down at the beach. I usually read more than one book at a time, and the kindle would make this difficult. I also like to flip back and forth, make notes, etc. It just isn't for me. My aunt has one and loves it b/c she can read with larger text. I think I'll just wear glasses at that point!

3) I found I often want to flip back and forth ... "Wait, who was that character? Let me read the section on "x" again," etc, and I found that very cumbersome, and sometimes almost impossible, on the Kindle.

I love my Kindle, but I will admit this is a cumbersome thing to do on it. . . I do have have to say it's made me a more attentive reader though :D

You can probably sell yours for a pretty good price on Craig's List.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm a book lover and just can't bring myself to consider a little screen version. My eyes also prefer a good quality, and most screens give me a glare headache. One day I may change, but for now I love the library, real book stores and trips to Half-priced books for trade-ins.

My husband would use one at work and on his travels, but I can see him spending a lot more money too.

That's why I don't want a Kindle or Nook.

Tell me how this is not twisted? My mom said she wanted to buy me a Kindle for Christmas. I told her I didn't want one. So she asked what I'd like instead. I replied that I have a wish list of books that she could choose from. She said, "No, I'm not getting you books. That's boring."

:confused: How is buying an actual book boring but not a Kindle?

Some of these are reasons that the Kindle will only ever likely be *part* of my reading. It's definitely not an all or nothing situation for me. I don't know that I would have gotten one right now if we hadn't been handed down a pair of them from my in-laws (they upgraded theirs), but I am enjoying the extra shelf space and having a lot of books to try in a compact format. It helps that my mil and I share reading tastes and so it already had a bunch of books on it I wanted to read.

I am a definite biblioholic as well as a bit of a Luddite;). I love the feel, smell and experience of books. There's a slew of types of books that aren't, to my mind, good fits for the Kindle--anything with illustrations, in particular (at least not the version I have, the original one). I also need to have access to books that I can take on the beach, into the tub, etc --places I would not want to take an electronic device. I find the Kindle's also a bit more cumbersome when I want to read a few pages, but have to take the time to "wake it up."

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm a book lover and just can't bring myself to consider a little screen version. My eyes also prefer a good quality, and most screens give me a glare headache. One day I may change, but for now I love the library, real book stores and trips to Half-priced books for trade-ins.

My husband would use one at work and on his travels, but I can see him spending a lot more money too.

I was surprised to find that I don't have glare issues at all. I can't handle reading a lot of text on a computer screen, but the e-ink in the Kindle and nook (not the color nook) are very different. It took my mil having me read on hers while we were on vacation together to convince me.

I appreciate your review. I have been going back and forth with purchasing a kindle or a nook. Now that my library supports the nook I think that is the one I will be going with. I am also very tactile but I think the ereader will be handy when traveling.

I feel similarly about my Nook. I haven't spent much- $50 or less- but the books I really want I want in "real" editions. I thought I'd use my Nook for the throwaway fiction I don't want taking up physical space, but I've realized I wasn't buying that stuff before I had a Nook. I'm too much of a librarian for that! I'm not even using it for e-books from the library. Honestly, I haven't picked it up in ages.

If DH or I traveled a lot, I might be a different story. Wish I'd sold it before gh holidays! Proabably not much of a market now...

Great post! This just confirms why I don't need a kindle.

I am a used book store/sale junkie... I love paying .25$ for a book my family will enjoy for a couple years.

I have an awesome ILL system. I get almost all "school" books through the library for free, and have stocked my shelves for years with the .25$ used book sale at the library and garage sales.

And I love having my BOOKS with me! They are my friends. :) I don't mind carry them around, I don't mind having a giant stack of BOOKS by my bed.

I can totally see how the kindle would be great for most people though. I am pretty sure my book obsession keeps out of the "norm" :D

I used to be an avid reader, but since having kids I just haven't found the time for it. However, in less than 2 weeks I've read 2 novels on my Sony Reader, one of them quite long (Gaiman's American Gods, checked out from the library). Assuming I continue to enjoy using it, the number of books I read per year is going to skyrocket. :D

I did not and would not buy a Kindle. But here's why I'm enjoying my Sony Reader so far:

1) I can check out and download both fiction and non-fiction ebooks from the library. (Couldn't do that with a Kindle.)

2) I can double tap to get a dictionary definition of a word or phrase. If the word is in a foreign language, I can use a foreign language dictionary. The device keeps a running list of the words I've looked up for any given book. I don't generally have a dictionary handy for pleasure reading, so this is great for me.

3) Texts are readily searchable (I can go back and find previous passages!), and easily annotated.

4) I never lose my place in any book I'm reading. With the chaos that is my life, having to find my book and find my place in it over and over is a disincentive. Now I have one device in a bright red case to keep track of, and no bookmarks.

5) So many public domain materials to read! I know I'll never run out of quality literature for myself.

Edited by jplain

Some of these are reasons that the Kindle will only ever likely be *part* of my reading. It's definitely not an all or nothing situation for me. I don't know that I would have gotten one right now if we hadn't been handed down a pair of them from my in-laws (they upgraded theirs), but I am enjoying the extra shelf space and having a lot of books to try in a compact format. It helps that my mil and I share reading tastes and so it already had a bunch of books on it I wanted to read.

I am a definite biblioholic as well as a bit of a Luddite;). I love the feel, smell and experience of books. There's a slew of types of books that aren't, to my mind, good fits for the Kindle--anything with illustrations, in particular (at least not the version I have, the original one). I also need to have access to books that I can take on the beach, into the tub, etc --places I would not want to take an electronic device. I find the Kindle's also a bit more cumbersome when I want to read a few pages, but have to take the time to "wake it up."

Conversation with dh regarding e-reader:

Dh: "Do you want an Kindle for Christmas?"

Me: "I don't know. How do they smell?" "Do you think I need one?"

Dh: "Well, I was thinking you might quit mauling that poor UPS guy.":tongue_smilie:

I don't think e-books are a perfect fit for everyone. I love my Kindle, which surprised me (I thought I'd like it). I do not read exclusively on the Kindle. I can't. There are recently published books which I'm not about to pay $10-$15 for, and which I can get at the library. We have a bookstore full of books and I enjoy choosing a subject and having DH bring me a bag of really great books about it.

Also, I don't spend much money on Kindle books. I go to the Kindle e-books page, click on discussions (on the right, bar near top of page) and look for posts entitled Free Books and the date.

I have gotten over 100 free books by visiting there every morning. Only one, so far, has been a dud. I get them for myself and for my kids. About 10% of them are copyright-free. The rest are either by indie authors or are offered by the publisher for free.

The Kindle has a search function, which helps some with the flipping back problem. I had to use it the other day when I somehow lost my place in a book.

I take my Kindle with me whenever I go somewhere, just in case I have to wait around. It fits into my purse or coat pocket easily, which most books I read do not. I also like it for reading in bed at night. I have the lighted cover, and when my eyes just won't stay open, I bookmark my spot, put the light bar down, and close the Kindle. It goes to sleep, too. The big advantage to all this is that I can read in bed -- otherwise my choice is read and sleep on the couch, or go to sleep without reading first.

I wish Amazon put the book covers on the Kindle, too. I really would rather see it, and flip through the pages in front of the book before I start reading. It is so sudden to click on a title and be presented with the first page.

I much prefer having best-loved children's books in hardcover form, rather than on the Kindle. A lot of my enjoyment of them is in the book itself -- the illustrations, the smell of an old book, the lovely pages, and so forth.

All that said, I do love my Kindle, but it is a convenient device that probably won't ever replace regular books.

I am looking forward to the day when high school and college students can take their books to school on an e-book reader. It would have to be as large as the Kindle DX, have color e-ink (for illustrations and charts), and have page numbers and be easy to navigate , I think, in order for it to be used in a classroom setting. Being able to print from it would be useful too. The students could keep their actual textbooks at home, and save their backs from being injured from carrying around super-heavy backpacks every day.

I received a Nook from a friend who had one and thought it was the greatest thing since mashed potatoes. I use it occasionally, but I really like holding an actual book and turning the pages. Sometimes I download books from the library, but really, I could probably have just checked out most of those books the normal way. I haven't purchased many books for the Nook, because I love shopping for used books, and with an actual book, you can re-sell or swap them, which you can't with ebooks as far as I know. When we went out of town recently I loaded up my Nook, but ended up spending all my reading time on a plain ol' hard copy of another book I'd already started.

I haven't purchased many books for the Nook, because I love shopping for used books, and with an actual book, you can re-sell or swap them, which you can't with ebooks as far as I know.

Oh yeah, that's another reason I forgot to mention. I love being able to pass along a book when I'm done with it. Now I just feel like I'm stuck with it. And God knows I wish I could give "Outlander" to somebody who would actually enjoy reading it!

My eyes also prefer a good quality, and most screens give me a glare headache.

Kindles have a reflective screen, which means no glare (it also means you need light to read, it is not backlit).

Tell me how this is not twisted? My mom said she wanted to buy me a Kindle for Christmas. I told her I didn't want one. So she asked what I'd like instead. I replied that I have a wish list of books that she could choose from. She said, "No, I'm not getting you books. That's boring."

lol, dd and I both feel your pain. poor dd even more so, b/c she has never much liked the things ppl want to buy for little girls: barbies, baby dolls, and pink, glittery stuff! man, just think of the books she could have bought you for the price of a kindle, you should let her get it and resell it . . .

katilac, who loves her kindle with frightening ferocity

I didn't like the idea at first because I am a paper person but now I love it! I am reading more now than I was because it seems more convenient to take with me than a book. I have some kids stuff on it but I am using it for the free downloads to read aloud to the kids for history and stuff. The longer novels they don't look at pics as they are coloring or something anyway. I am going to TRY not to spend too much. I did grab the CM books to read and I find myself flustered with her writing so I am glad that I didn't spend more than a few dollars to get them.

I love my Kindle but don't have the issues of the OP because:

1. I carefully select which books I will read on my Kindle (seeing if the book is better read from a real book OR listened to from Audible.com vs. Kindle)

2. I rarely purchase Kindle ebooks - I use my Kindle for reading the daily newspaper, Time, and Newsweek; and FREE ebooks mostly

3. I call Amazon and return ebooks whenever I don't like my ebook; much easier than shipping back a book

4. I'm still a heavy library user

5. I LOVE putting Kindle in my pocketbook and have multiple things to read when I waiting around (music lessons, doctors appts, etc.)

6. I enjoy reading purchased ebooks which are HOT; books I'd have to wait weeks for at the library, and are CHEAPER on ebook (Fall of the Giants - no pictures and heavy)

7. I like to flip to "text to speech" mode when I'm cooking and then flipping back to reading again when I sit down

8. My over 40 eyes really appreciate increasing the font size at night and then decreasing it during daylight hours

:001_smile:

Edited by MIch elle

My library has a decent selection of ebooks, and I've read a few titles that I never would have picked off the shelf. I also like holding my Nook better than holding a book--it's hard (for me) to hold a real book one-handed for very long. 90% of what I use mine for is waiting for the kids at gymnastics, dance, waiting in a drive-thru line, etc. It was ideal to have on the airplane.

I agree--it's not for everyone.

I also LOVE my paper books, but I love my iPad as a nice *supplement*. For example, my son and I were listening to an audio version of Great Expectations during lunch, and it was awesome to be able to prop the iPad up on the table at an angle so we could follow along on the (free) iBooks version of GE on a nice parchment-colored background, enlarge the font size if we wanted, make the font size smaller if we wanted to feel like we were making faster progress :001_smile:, and, as other posters have said, look up unfamiliar and archaic words ... when I'm reading a "real" book I would never get up and use a dictionary, so I usually forget about the words later. Also, when I was confused by something (like Wemmick referring to "Little Britain" -- what's that? I hadn't been paying attention earlier), it was so easy to search for the term earlier in the book and find out - oh, that's what he calls his house ... saved a lot of confusion, and can't do that so easily in a paper book!

I was surprised to find that I don't have glare issues at all. I can't handle reading a lot of text on a computer screen, but the e-ink in the Kindle and nook (not the color nook) are very different. It took my mil having me read on hers while we were on vacation together to convince me.

Kindles have a reflective screen, which means no glare (it also means you need light to read, it is not backlit).

katilac, who loves her kindle with frightening ferocity

Thank you both for the info. I know we will be buying an e-reader of some kind in the not so distant future, but I'm not giving up my love of real books.

These are many of the reasons I don't want a Kindle. Also, my library system allows us to download e-books and audio books for free (2 week check out and then they expire). I can load these onto my Blackberry and read them there. I have a BB Storm, so the larger screen makes the reading easier than on some models.

I really enjoy my nook, but you're right - they are for a certain purpose.

I haven't bought any books for mine. I only download old classics from the public domain. For that, it's great for collecting classic books that I don't have room for in my house. I also check out eBooks from the library.

It's definitely not for kids books. It's more for taking a huge novel to bed with you - you don't have to keep rolling over or awkwardly trying to get comfortable while holding up a 1000 page copy of War and Peace. For that, my nook still gets a lot of love from me. But my heart still belongs to my library.

I am giving myself a Nook for Christmas. :)

My plan for using it was to access all of those goodies that lie in the public domain, waiting for download. Old grammar texts, Latin and math texts, classics---the list is endless. I have tired of printing for awhile, and for me (I hope anyway), this will bring a welcome respite from hearing the whirring of the printer. I do regret not having some of these old goodies in print, even on my own paper, as I would love to be able to mark them up, add notes, etc.

I hope I don't end up regretting this Nook purchase.....

So there it is. I know I'm in the minority. And I would definitely recommend the Kindle for anyone who travels a lot, or uses public transportation. But for me ... if I could go back, I would pass on that purchase.

Thank you for sharing. Those are all things I thought might be an issue and wondered if I was the only person in the world not wanting one.

I do agree public transportation would be a great place to use it.

1) I had been reading chapter books to my girls from the Kindle. One day, I was at the library and saw the book we were reading -- Understood Betsy -- and brought it home. The book had several illustrations, which the Kindle did not, and that made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the rest of the book.

That's odd. My Kindle books have photos and illustrations with them. I wonder why this one didn't?

I love my Kindle, but I'm on the go a lot, so maybe that's why. It's nice to be able to carry around my books on something that weighs almost nothing. I also have downloaded several word games and love the play them when I'm bored.

I've caught myself reaching up to turn the page on the Kindle... or trying to push the next page tab on a real book!

Me too! One thing I've caught myself doing when reading a paper book is mentally putting a cursor next to a word I don't know and waiting for the definition to pop up. ;)

Edited by Mom in High Heels

You should consider selling it on ebay... or here on the boards! You wouldn't get all your carefully saved money back, but you'd get a lot of it... and make someone's day!

I agree. I've been surprised at how easy it is to see electronics on this board...Have done it 3 times in a the last few months. Sold a DSI to a boardie this week and turns out she only lives an hour from me!

I love my nook BUT I do sometimes miss the feel of an actual book. I am reading Liping Ma's book (which is a physical book) and it feels nice to have a whole book in my hand again. However I reread the 7th Harry Potter book and I was WISHING it was an ebook because it is so heavy!

I think the one real advantage of having ereaders is for school. I have been able to download a lot of the books we need free or if I have to buy it I have a copy for everyone for the price of one (both my older girls and I both have an ereader).

So, maybe since you spent the money on it you can use it for school to get your money worth?

These are some of the reasons I dont want one. I ususally only get books from the library and I dont think its a big deal to carry around a book :001_smile:

:iagree: I also LIKE to feel the pages. I'm very visual, I can remember where something is on a page or in a book, and it wouldn't be the same "flipping" through a screen.

Thanks for the OP for sharing!

Dumb question, but how exactly does that work? Wouldn't all the books they buy on it be charged to me?

I just might do it, if I can figure out how ...

No worries, before you sell it. Just go to the settings section on the Kindle menu and click on the "Deregister"

It will remove it and then when the new owner gets it they will have to register it, just like it's new.

I'm getting a Nook for Christmas and I can't tell you how happy I am about that! I for one know that I will use it constantly because of space issues in our small apartment for one thing. I'm the type that reads and book and likes to reread it a couple months down the line. I don't sell my books and that was a problem with not having any space to keep books. With the Nook, I'll be able to have a complete library in less than an inch of space! I'm truly grateful that such things exist! But thanks for sharing your drawbacks with the Kindle.

It honestly never occurred to me that I would stop getting books from the library or reading real books just because I have a Kindle. I still use the library--just not as often. I haven't spent much on books either. I have 40-some books on it now and only bought 3. To each his/her own.

Agreed. It reminds me of some of the hype regarding microwaves a few decades ago. They were going to replace the oven, etc. Just because I have a microwave, I don't feel compelled to throw out my oven. There are things the microwave does well, but also many things it doesn't (like browning, baking, etc)---an oven is better for that. One can get by without a microwave, certainly, but they can happily coexist if one so desires. Same with e-readers and printed books.

Guest arleenscott
That's odd. My Kindle books have photos and illustrations with them. I wonder why this one didn't?

I love my Kindle, but I'm on the go a lot, so maybe that's why. It's nice to be able to carry around my books on something that weighs almost nothing. I also have downloaded several word games and love the play them when I'm bored.

Me too! One thing I've caught myself doing when reading a paper book is mentally putting a cursor next to a word I don't know and waiting for the definition to pop up. ;)

I also love kindle books its very easy to carry and I think your kids will enjoy it!

I usually read more than one book at a time, and the kindle would make this difficult.

Well, to defend this one point, reading multiple books on a Kindle is actually easy. As soon as you close out of a book to return to the menu, it automatically saves your place just like a bookmark. When you click on the title again, it takes you directly to the page where you left off.