Menu

Can we start a brag thread sharing grades w/o it turning ugly?

Chris in VA

I would like to brag about ds' good grades this semester.

Actually, I'd like to share his grades and just say how dang proud I am.

But I'm afraid it'll make someone feel I'm boasting, that I think my son is better than theirs, etc.

So, is it ok with you if I share? :001_smile:

Congrats, you guys!!!!

Ds got

A in Art of Historical Detection

A in Philosophy (by the skin of his teeth--89.6% that rounds up!! LOL)

A in English (research paper writing)

He thinks he got a B in Cinema and an A in US History (Reconstr to Present).

This is his third semester--Dean's List every time!!!

You have to understand, he's my Aspie, and has gone thru severe mental health stuff this year and last--and managed school on top of it. I'm so stinkin' proud of that boy!

Whew.

THanks, I just needed to do that.:D

DS #2 - concurrent senior: Trigonometry - A, U.S. History - A, Conceptual Physics - A (this is the course he started, but we decided he should drop because of the way the class was structured. He dropped with an A and finished the course at home with me)

DS#1 - junior majoring in petroleum engineering: I don't know all the courses he had, but he has received A's in all courses except one. He's still waiting for the grade for that course. The one squeaker was his 89.5 in Differential Equations. He had a solid B going into the final, but needed a 90% on the final to make an A. Knowing that he had not received a grade that high at any time in the year, he decided to be happy with a B and work for A's in all his other classes. He was afraid that the amount of time he would need to devote to DiffEq would cause him to lose out on another A in a different class. He was soooo surprised that he did so well on the DiffEq final and was able to squeak out the A due to "rounding up".

I'm so proud of both boys! I'm often in awe that they can do so well because I know well the shortcomings we had in our homeschool.

I cannot imagine why some would see a brag thread as snotty--I have to tell you, reading these encourages me greatly. Please brag! :001_smile:

After being attacked elsewhere, I am hesitant... but heck, yes, I am proud of my DD. She took her first college class this semester, physics (algebra/trig based) and got an A.

My 20 yo Ds is in his 3rd year of civil engineering and he received:

Soil mechanics A

Hydraulics A

Structual Analysis A

Transportation Engineering A

Hist. Of American People 1877-Present A

Ds 17 concurrent student:

Calc I B

Comp II A

Edited by Quiver0f10

My 17yo is taking almost a full load at the cc (13 hours this fall and 14 in the spring) as a dual credit student. She got an A in English, Japanese, and Physics (although her actual number grade in physics was 86.4, so it must have been curved). She got a B in Statistics.

I was very happy that she realized she was having difficulties in statistics and took it upon herself to find out when the free tutoring sessions were at the cc and used it a lot for the last month. That's what made the difference for her. She had an 82 in the class before the final, but the final counted a big enough percentage of the grade that it would have dropped her down to a C if she made a 70 or lower. She got an 82 on the final and I was extremely pleased with that because she really had to work for it.

She's taking English II, Physics II, Chemistry I, and Trig at the cc next semester and she's taking Economics at home.

May I join in being a proud momma?

Our oldest has had a really rough yr. He was diagnosed with Lupus a yr ago and almost died this summer. He had been co-oping for a yr prior to this semester, so we tried to encourage him to not go back to school full speed ahead b/c he still wasn't back to feeling great when the semester started.

Being a typical young male, he didn't listen.;)

He ended up taking 18 hrs of sr level chemical engineering courses and called us yesterday disappointed b/c he made 2 B's instead of straight A's. Being the unsympathetic momma that I am, I laughed at his angst. Dh and I were married during his jr and sr yrs while he was majoring in chemE. I know how hard those grades are to earn!!

Yes, I am incredibly proud of my ds. He did extremely well on top of being ill (and still a fairly new newlywed.)

Last year ds went to a college that works on the quarter system. Throughout the year he got all A's (including Calculus, in which he had a high enough average in the daily work that he didn't have to take the final) except for a writing class, which he hated. So he didn't try. So he got a C. :glare:

I'm very proud of the effort he put forth in his other classes! :001_smile: If only he'd tried in the writing class, he could've gotten close to 4.0.... :tongue_smilie:

So far this year he has A's, and one A-......

Edited by Brindee

My oldest has 4 A's and 1 B at the moment with one more class to be reported (expecting a B). Considering all I mainly heard about when talking with him was his A/V work study job and hiking/extra curriculars, I'm glad to find out he was really doing his schoolwork as well! I was a little worried that he might be doing too much "extra" and not enough "college."

Middle son took two cc classes and got top of the class A's in each. He has always gotten A's in his homeschooling classes.

I'm pleased with both my boys - and my youngest who currently has all A's in his high school (ps) classes too. He got a B in English last quarter, but has brought it up so far this marking period.

After being attacked elsewhere, I am hesitant... but heck, yes, I am proud of my DD. She took her first college class this semester, physics (algebra/trig based) and got an A.

Attacked? That's so sad. Congratulations to your dd. Is she 13? VERY impressive. I also have a young CC student. He started at 13. This semester, he took chemistry and earned an A. He had the highest grade in the class and didn't even have to take the final (the prof dropped the lowest test score and he had a 108 going in to the final!!).

Wonderful news everyone!!!

If it is your first homeschool grad, it sure is reaffirming isn't it? I mean, you want to yell "Look!!! They're FLYING!!!!" :lol:

I am proud of my college freshman as well. She made the President's List with a 4.0 and was one of three freshmen chosen by the music faculty to perform in a *Best of...* concert at semester end. She played Pagodas by Debussy and I was nearly moved to tears by how far she has come as a musician in less than four months!

It certainly deserves a brag no matter WHAT when you reach this point and can *exhale*. :) Congratulations to everyone!

Grades were just posted last night.

2 daughters.......both 4.0's!!!

For dd#1, a junior, this is her first semester with a 4.0, and she's flying high. She worked her tail off for this.

For dd#2, this is her first semester, and she's happy, but she doesn't really realize that A's aren't handed out like candy at her school. I'm proud of her grades, but even more amazed at all the friends my little introvert has made. ;)

I have to brag a little as well--

DD1 - First semester at Baylor (pre-med/university scholars major) -- 4.0.

DD2 - hs senior -- dual credit courses at Angelo State University

(honors chemistry, 3rd semester German) -- 4.0

DD3 -- hs junior -- dual credit courses at Angelo State University

(Music Theory I, first semester French) -- 4.0

Congrats to everyone's students!!!!

Yvonne

Only one of her two CC classes has the grades up yet....A+ in Intermediate Spanish I (Hooray!)

We're still waiting to hear her final grade for the Intro. to Lit. class, but she made a high A on the final test.

She also made 100% on her Latin final (for an online class), but we don't have a final grade from the instructor yet for the semester.

It's so nice to have some place to share how well she's done this semester.

Well, another 4.0 for my daughter - and we kind of wish she had an A- or B+ somewhere in there instead :glare: She is one to really feel the pressure and the longer she gets all As the harder it is! She feels she has to keep it up and she is getting more stressed!

That said, I am extremely proud of her. She does a great deal of work and one of the As was hard won!

Well, another 4.0 for my daughter - and we kind of wish she had an A- or B+ somewhere in there instead :glare: She is one to really feel the pressure and the longer she gets all As the harder it is! She feels she has to keep it up and she is getting more stressed!

That said, I am extremely proud of her. She does a great deal of work and one of the As was hard won!

I completely understand you. I can see this happening with my daughter as well.

I'll start

Junior-ish International Relations Major minoring in Japanese in Tokyo.

Japanese (don't know what level, but this was his 9th semester) B

Art History A-

Macro Economics A

Racism in Global Political something A

And congratulations to all of the students :)

DD: Nutrition Major 3rd year:

4 A's and 1 B (ETA: This was her first B ever!)

3.8 GPA Cum

DS: Elemenatary Education w/ concentration Math & Science

3A's 2 B+

He completed 19 credits this semester AND worked 20+ hours a week.

I am very proud of both my College Kiddoes...and their grades.:D

Faithe

I completely understand you. I can see this happening with my daughter as well.

This is what happened with my dd this semester. HORRIBLE chem professor. She somehow eeeekked out a B. 80% of the class failed. She had the highest grade in the class...sigh.

It was hard, but she learned to deal with a difficult person....and she didn't die from a B...lol.

~~Faithe

Ds#1 just finished his first year at polytech (like community college.)

We recieved his grades on Christmas Eve. He recieved:

A+ in Carpentry Skills 1

A+ in Mechanical Engineering 1

B in Essential Work Skills

C in Automotive Skills 1 (the engineering tutor pulled him from class many days to help out in the engineering workshop ;) )

He also earned 93/93 unit standard credits in mechanical engineering, most of which were level 3-4 (if he'd been in PS he would have been working at level 1-2). He was promoted to the 2nd year mechanical engineering course mid-year & was in the top 2 students in the class! He will do the 1st year mechanical engineering course Feb-July 2011 & then look for an apprenticeship, having completed the unit standards for the first two years of a mechanical engineering apprenticeship.

His achievements may not seem much when put next to the 4.0 GPA that many have mentioned in this thread, but we are very proud of what ds#1 has achieved. :D

This is so awesome!

My son took a full load of classes, private voice and piano lessons, sang in the choir, worked 8 hours a week washing dishes, was on the President's Sustainability Task Force and went to every guest lecture, every concert, every possible outside activity that he could possibly schedule. (People tend to think that quiet, polite children and young adults are shy, but I beg to differ.) His grades in his music classes were all As, and in his Freshman Preceptorial, a B+, I think.

But. Get this. What is that boy most proud of? He sweat blood for a "C" in calculus, and he is tickled pink about that grade. I think it will be the only time in his life that he's happy with a C -- since he'll never have to take any kind of math course again for the rest of his life. When I heard that his adviser had him sign up for calculus, I nearly fainted. He spent a lot of time in the famous Red Room for tutoring, and I was proud of him for seeking help where he needed it. He is someone who tends to... get upset about low grades. The fact that he had some perspective about this, worked his tail off but didn't have a seizure over poor grades is just major for him.

I'm pretty proud, especially about the reaching out and taking every opportunity to soak up all that college has to offer. I stayed in my room and got all As, and in retrospect, I missed out on a lot.

My son is a freshman electrical engineering major. He had 17 hours, worked 14 and was homesick:). He had a difficult writing class and writing is his most difficult subject. Most calls home sounded like he was struggling in most classes and was not going to get the gpa he needed to keep his scholarship (3.25). He really struggled with the writing class and that gave him less time to devote to the classes he liked. Grades are in and he got

Chem A

Chem lab B

Calc II A

History A

EE Intro A

ME class A

but the biggest A was in writing!!

So I will be relaxing more this next semester when it sounds like all is woe:).

You all have so much to be proud of, and so do the students!

My freshman did well, too, and is breathing a sigh of relief because three of her classes were very writing intensive and involved tough material and deep thought. (Not that that was different from hs, but still...)

Intro to Christian Thought (a senior course they moved to Freshman Year for honors students) A

Honors Colloquium A

English 101 A

Quant Reasoning (math req) A

Ceramics (kicked her proverbial behind) A

Aerobics (the only "gimme" credit) A

She has to keep a very high GPA to keep her scholarship, so she is breathing much easier.

She, too, took on way too much...played hard, served hard, studied hard, and will be working next semester, too.

What I'm most proud of: she was chosen by her classmates to be one of four freshman reps to the honors council. Used to dealing with such a competitive bunch, the director simply explained the job to them, passed out ballots, then tallied the votes, no warning, no prep, no time for campaigning--smart guy! She and three other guys (two of whom are good friends) will serve for four years.

May God continue to bless all our students' hard work!

She, too, took on way too much...played hard, served hard, studied hard, and will be working next semester, too.

I can't believe what I am reading here--these kids are really working hard!

My dd (high school senior) has friends in college and they are moaning and groaning about taking FOUR classes, one of which is a "gimmee A", The Freshman Experience. None have jobs or heavy-commitments (I don't consider an occasional poetry reading at the local coffeehouse a major chore).

Edited by distancia

I can't believe what I am reading here--the kids are really working hard!

My dd (high school senior) has friends in college and they are moaning and groaning about taking FOUR classes, one of which is a "gimmee A", The Freshman Experience. None have jobs or heavy-commitments (I don't consider an occasional poetry reading at the local coffeehouse a major chore).

You're right, a lot of the CC students around here take three classes, maybe four if there's a 1 hour course, just enough to qualify for the 12 hours considered full-time for FA and for health insurance purposes. But there is no way they will be done in four years. Dd's scholarship is for 8 long semesters, and that's it. She wants to double major and is required to take an additional minor for the scholarship, so she will have full schedules (but doable) every semester. B/c she went in with 24 hours of dual credit, she can get what she wants done in 8 semesters. Others probably couldn't--she's one of the "lucky" ones. (Lucky, my eye--Providence and her diligence!)

Dh took 12 hours every semester and took five years to finish, but he worked his way through college, paying as he went, and has dyslexia, so the academically lighter schedule worked well for him.

Congrats everyone! I'll join because I think we should be able to express our pride whenever our children do their very best, even if their true best at that time is not all A's and B's!

DD has in her paramedic/nursing/pre-med classes:

Pharmacology - A

Pathophysiology - A

Cardiology - A

Endochronology - A

Ethics - A

She's carrying a 114% average in her Paramedic program and was recently paid $150.00 to proctor exams for an E.M.T. class. She was also recently told by the medical director that he wanted her to go home and get some sleep instead of staying to do all of the paperwork after a particularly difficult 12 hour shift that turned into a 14 hour shift and she still had an hour drive home. He signed her blank forms and told her he trusted her to fill them out at home after a nap! HUGE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE IN A STUDENT! One of the top paramedics in her EMS company told her that she was the best student he'd ever worked with and better than most of the licensed pro's in the company. Seriously, I ran out an bought her a new dress....just couldn't help myself!!!

Faith - personally, I just find it so encouraging when we share all of the good things happening with our post-homeschool kids. It helps those of us in the trenches with several years ahead of us remember that it is all worth it in the end.

Chris, thanks for starting this thread! We're so proud of our DD but don't talk about it to friends IRL. My dd is a freshman and made me a notebook for Christmas full of all sorts of things from her first quarter. We dropped her off on the 2nd so I'm missing her and looking through the book this morning. She's our first off to college and is at Rose-Hulman which has been named the top engineering school in the US 12 years in a row by US News & World Report. Here's what she took the first quarter that finished up the week before Thanksgiving:

Introduction to software development/robotics with lab (6) A

Calculus II (5) B

Physics 1 w/lab (4) A

College Life skills (1) A

She made the Dean's list and sent us a letter with the letter she received letting her know she'd made it. Her note said the upside to homeschooling: I made the Dean's list. The downside to homeschooling: I had to ask the SA what it meant:lol: She has a partime job working on the school's statewide math/science hotline for high schoolers. (She says they really love it when they get calls from students at other colleges/countries:001_smile:). One of her professors asked her to be a TA for his engineering class this quarter which she loves. And over Christmas, she was notified that another one of her professers had nominated her for the student/alumni association. Only 10 freshman students make it through the screening so we're not holding our breath on that one! She's figured out that by the end of her freshman year she'll have 58 credit hours with the 8 she tested out of. She seems to being doing well this quarter but we'll see after midterms next week. OK, all the pent up bragging out of my system and back to the real world:tongue_smilie:

My dd got 2 A's, 1 B, and 1 C.

That is excellent considering that she started the semester sick with a virus. Remember my question about missing the first day of a class? And.. all her other health problems flared up BAD late in the semester.

This is my child that was so very ill during her senior year of homeschooling. I am very proud of her!

• 2 weeks later...