Menu

Have any of you researched trampolines? I know they can be dangerous

I don't know, my daughter went on one at a cousin's house last year, and she got hurt...somehow she jumped, bounced, and her knees came up and rammed into her own chest, and her chest was bruised, and she was crying...

...I'm not a big fan of them, and I've heard a lot of stories like that and worse.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/specials/holiday/kids&start=10&selectedSKU=0411-00673-0001

We have this one with the enclosure. Grandparents bought it for Christmas last year. The enclosure ripped recently, and we were able to just buy a new net.

I would never talk someone into a trampoline. They do have a high incidence for injury. I will say that some of the injury's I know personally... Well. They did stupid stuff. Like take the net off while watching WWE smackdown. Kid broke his arm.

We don't let them take anything on the trampoline. They don't jump unless net is zipped. While it was ripped, they had to stay off.

We've had it for a year and haven't had an injury. I'm glad we have it. We go out for school breaks and I have them jump 100 times, or as high as they can, or be silly. We do math flashcards while they jump. BUT because of the high injury rate, I still wouldn't try to talk someone into getting one.

ETA: We checked before they bought it. No change to our homeowners insurance.

Edited by snickelfritz
Stupid I-phone is going wonky on me.

My cousin and his DW are 2 of the most cautious, careful people in the world. In September, their DD12 had a horrible accident on their trampoline. She jumped, and when she landed, her foot somehow went under the spring cover and through the springs, getting caught in them. Her jump forced her body back in the air, her foot was stuck, and she was thrust backward, headfirst, under the net surround, and to the ground. Her leg was broken so badly that the bone actually came through the skin. They live in the country, so they waited 30 minutes for an ambulance, as everyone was afraid to move her.

She ended up in a wheelchair for quite a while and is still healing.

We've had a trampoline in the past, but I paid about twice as much to get a specific kind that doesn't allow a "double bounce." My DC complained that it wasn't bouncy enough.:glare:

We always enforced the rule that only person at a time could jump. My dc learned to do lots of jumps and flips--great exercise. The only injury anyone had from it was when ER was jumping off the side and stubbed his toe against the frame. His toe was sore for a couple of days, but that's it. And our homeowner's insurance has been unaffected. We did some research, and of course there are horror stories out there. But our own experience was much less sensational.

Edited by ereks mom

We used to have a Jumpsport with enclosure. It was expensive but you can not fall out of the enclosure or go under the springs by accident. My dh scared me after he put it together. He jumped full force against the enclosure to test it. I thought "it'll either work or he'll be disabled". He's fine....

It sounds, even just from these posts, like the kind of thing where you might get lucky and never have anything go wrong. But it's such a risk. And you know what they say about how hindsight is always 20/20. You don't want to be looking back and kicking yourself for the choice you made if god forbid something does go wrong. It just seems like there are much safer ways to exercise and have fun! By the way, we host for The Fresh Air Fund and one of their rules is No Trampolines.

but I think the pros will outweigh the cons for us. We will only allow 1 child at a time, and my DD with special needs could really use the extra exercise, kwim?

There are so many brands, gadgets, screens, spring covers, etc. that my head is spinning. I'd like to stay under $500.00.

Thanks!

The OP stated that she knows that some feel trampolines are dangerous. She is posting to ask those who have trampolines for recommendations for trampolines. She isn't asking for a dozen posts telling her not to get one.

One of the board rules states the following:

"Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)" (emphasis mine)

This rule isn't specifically addressing gymnastics equipment (it's actually addressing religious posts). But, I believe the principle still applies. If you can't give the OP an answer to her question, just let it go, or go start another thread regarding the dangers of trampolines.

The OP stated that she knows that some feel trampolines are dangerous. She is posting to ask those who have trampolines for recommendations for trampolines. She isn't asking for a dozen posts telling her not to get one.

One of the board rules states the following:

"Answer questions that are posted but don't use these questions as an excuse to springboard into criticism. For example: If someone asks, "What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?" don't launch into an explanation of how evil Halloween is. If someone asks, "Is Halloween evil?" have a ball. (Conversely: if someone posts, "We don't do Halloween; what can we substitute?" don't take this as an opportunity to prove to them that Halloween is really just fine.)" (emphasis mine)

This rule isn't specifically addressing gymnastics equipment (it's actually addressing religious posts). But, I believe the principle still applies. If you can't give the OP an answer to her question, just let it go, or go start another thread regarding the dangers of trampolines.

Isn't her question "have any of you researched trampolines?". I think that people are responding to this question. I read people's responses as ....Yes, they have researched them, decided they were too dangerous for their family and decided to not purchase them due to xyz reason.

<snip>

Actually, that isn't what she asked. She asked if anyone had researched trampolines, and stated that she 'thinks' the pros will outweight the cons. Saying, "Yes, I have researched, and I wouldn't get one" is a perfectly reasonable response. No one is telling her she's evil for crossing over to the Trampoline Dark Side, y'know? :D

Isn't her question "have any of you researched trampolines?". I think that people are responding to this question. I read people's responses as ....Yes, they have researched them, decided they were too dangerous for their family and decided to not purchase them due to xyz reason.

Well, I guess if one *only* read that first question, they could assume that she is asking about the pros and cons. BUT, it they read the rest of her subject line AND her post, it is clear that she has already decided that the pros outweigh the cons, and that she is looking for information about the "many brands, gadgets, screens, spring covers, etc." that are making her head spin, and that she's looking to spend under $500.

I'm not sure why this bothered me earlier. It's not like a lynch mob or anything. Everyone's being quite polite, really. It just seemed like the thread was running away, and I was trying to put the brakes on a little -- get it back on track.

Actually, that isn't what she asked. She asked if anyone had researched trampolines, and stated that she 'thinks' the pros will outweight the cons. Saying, "Yes, I have researched, and I wouldn't get one" is a perfectly reasonable response. No one is telling her she's evil for crossing over to the Trampoline Dark Side, y'know? :D

Interestingly, I'm one of the folks who will probably never own a trampoline (though those Springless ones look interesting). It was just evident to me, after reading her whole post (not just the first sentence) that she wasn't asking about whether or not to own a trampoline. The rest of her post makes it clear that she's already decided to get one, and is researching the "many brands, gadgets, screens, spring covers, etc." and that she wants to spend less that $500.

I guess I'm just feeling persnickety tonight. Probably need sleep. I think I'll go to the dark side of the house, and go to bed. :)

We had one for years- no pads, no protection, no walls. We also decided the risk was worth it.

Both kids are trained in gymnastics from a young age. I am not sure that that is really a protection, although they were trained how to do flips and such safely and they have had accidents in the gym so they were not naive about the danger...but we never got any broken bones or serious injuries on the tramp- and neither did anyone else. We recently broke it apart and put it on the verge for council pick-up as it had lived a full life :)

I resisted for many years as we had one as a child and I saw some fairly significant injuries from it (we lived at a summer camp) But when we moved into a house with no room for the kids to run about and saw them all turning into couch potatoes, we decided to get one. I would have loved a springless but we don't have that kind of cash. So we got a round 12' one with net walls and spring mats.

We've had no issues at all, and the kids are often on it all together. It made a big difference to their activity levels and they did spend a lot of time out on it. It's a favoured spot for reading and doing school work too, and it becomes all sorts of things in imaginative play. I have to say the walls have also increased the play value, allowing poison ball etc and more imaginative play, it's often a pirate ship.

The design of the netting needs to be looked at, ours had hooks holding the net onto fabric socks which fitted over the upright poles. The nets take a fair amount of stress and the fabric socks ripped. It's much better for the nets to be directly and strongly attached to the pole in some way. We've adjusted it now to do just that. Also our net zipped up, the zip broke quickly and the net shrunk so it couldn't be entirely closed. A friend had one that the entrance was a sort of pocket that folded over itself and clipped and that's a much better design.

Also a lot of them have really cheapo spring mats which fall apart after a year of sunlight. Spend more to find really good quality ones that will last longer. Of course, this is Aussie, land of the ozone hole so perhaps that won't be an issue for you.

Edited by keptwoman

My Aunt In Law has had one for years. She has 8 grandkids that all live close by. There has been 1 adult that tore up her leg on it. (She was not the example of a physically fit person and probably should not have been on it.)

She has very strict rules when it is in use. It has a net around the outside, there is no water allowed on it from a water hose, there is no wrestling etc. Her grandkids love it.

If you are willing to take on the responsibility of enforcing rules even when it involves kids friends, then it can be a really good thing.

She has very strict rules when it is in use. It has a net around the outside, there is no water allowed on it from a water hose, there is no wrestling etc. Her grandkids love it.

LOL when we got our tramp we were in the middle of the driest year for many years, every time it rained (which was NOT often) our kids would be right out on the trampoline. Now it's their favourite cool down... a bucket of water thrown on and then jumping.

We had one for a few years. I can't say we did any intense research into brands, but we had requirements. The springs had to be covered. It had to have an enclosure. The poles had to be adequately padded. And then we had our family rules about usage.

For us, that was enough. We've always gone the same route with bicycles, roller blades, skateboards, etc. It wasn't so much about the brands as it was the individual safety features of each one.

I would LOVE a springless trampoline, but those are way out of price range!

FWIW, I did have to take one of my kids in for x-rays when we thought she may have broken her nose on the trampoline. She didn't tell anyone she was going in (broke a rule) and the padding hadn't been put back up on the poles yet (safety feature not in place). I don't blame the trampoline any more than I would blame roller blades if she had been skating without her gear, kwim?

All of our other family x-rays have been due to "normal" household accidents.

We have one set up. It is actually our middle son's family's. They didn't have a place to set it up where they live right now. I think we are going to purchase it though. Our kids jump on it daily. Right now it is 20 degrees out or less and I don't think there has been a day that they have not been on it.

I believe he bought it as Sam's club. I don't think the net has held up the best as it has a couple of small holes in it but the tramp. itself seems to be good.

Happy jumping!

Yes I have and I am absolutely opposed to them as being too dangerous. My 14 year old really wanted to get one last year and she did not believe me when I told her how dangerous they were and how many complications there were to owning one so I told her to do the research on them and if she could prove to me that they were safe then we would consider getting one. Needless to say, we still don't have one. This was one of the few case where she came back and said, "Mom, you were right! I had no idea."

but I think the pros will outweigh the cons for us. We will only allow 1 child at a time, and my DD with special needs could really use the extra exercise, kwim?

There are so many brands, gadgets, screens, spring covers, etc. that my head is spinning. I'd like to stay under $500.00.

Thanks!

No, we've not "researched." But we've had one in the past, and ds is getting one for Christmas. It will, like the last one, have an enclosure.

Yes, they can be dangerous. He won't be jumping on it with anyone. I figure anything can be dangerous (bikes, hunting, skates, ice, driving, swimming, public school-haha), but there are ways that we can minimize potential dangers. Other people would exclude them completely; that's certainly their option.

I'm just adding my $.02, because I know that while you asked about researching, you'd get lots of anti-trampoline posts too.

From years ago research on safest: in the ground (you dig a hole), make sure springs are covered (the pads eventually need replacing), rectangular not circle (throws you differently)

Of course, those things make it more expensive. A net makes people feel better, but doesn't add a ton of safety. Most injuries occur on the trampoline bed. (I have never heard of one that won't double bounce. They must be fairly new or were hiding when I was looking.) Do check with your home insurance. Ours wouldn't allow one at all. However, we simply changed insurance companies. Our new policy not only allowed us to have a trampoline, but gave better coverage at a lower price (while still with a well known, large insurance company). Second best gift we ever gave the dc. First place goes to horses. Seems like for my family fun=risk.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you all very much. I know some people are adamantly opposed to them, and I hear your concerns. As other posters have pointed out...we all have the lines we draw.

I would never allow a gun in my home. Not now, not for kids, not for DH, not EVER.

My kids will NEVER play football. They always wear helmets when biking and scootering (both VERY dangerous).

But, we really need our DD out more, jumping and playing. We won't allow more than 1 kid on, nor ANY neighbor kids. Of course accidents can happen, and we will do our best to minimize them.

Thank you all for your concern, and super duper thanks to those that provided BRANDS or OPTIONS to consider!

Thank you!!!!

Edited by 3littlekeets