Menu

My sil is roasting the turkey at 350* for 9 hrs.

There is some kind of a rule of thumb: For every pound of turkey 15 minutes roasting at F350.

We have a 12 pounder since it's a small gathering this year and we are roasting it at F350 for about 3.5-4hrs.

I am not really sure if it would work for a very large turkey.

How big is sil's turkey? :001_smile:

It was edible. Edible, but dry.

I was pretty shocked when she mentioned at 9 a.m. this morning that the turkey was in the oven!

I cook my turkeys (always over 20 lbs) for about 30 minutes at 500*, then for about 4 hours at 350* (a la Alton Brown). They are always extremely moist, so much so in fact, that my dh says there's something wrong with them. Turkeys are just not supposed to have "juices" when you bite into a piece. :001_huh:

He likes them the way my sil does them, where the texture bears much similarity to sawdust. I tend to stick to the dark meat when we eat at sil's, and cover the meat with gravy. On the other hand, the scalloped potatoes were *excellent*. :drool:

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

It was edible. Edible, but dry.

I was pretty shocked when she mentioned at 9 a.m. this morning that the turkey was in the oven!

I cook my turkeys (always over 20 lbs) for about 30 minutes at 500*, then for about 4 hours at 350* (a la Alton Brown). They are always extremely moist, so much so in fact, that my dh says there's something wrong with them. Turkeys are just not supposed to have "juices" when you bite into a piece. :001_huh:

He likes them the way my sil does them, where the texture bears much similarity to sawdust. I tend to stick to the dark meat when we eat at sil's, and cover the meat with gravy. On the other hand, the scalloped potatoes were *excellent*. :drool:

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

My mom used to do 24-26 lb turkeys every year, and I think she roasted them about 7 hours, because I remember her getting up at 5 am to get the turkey in the oven. I'm glad you had gravy. :D

I roasted mine Alton Brown way.

My grandfather had a restaurant in the 1940's where he raised and slaughtered his own turkeys, and he taught my mom the "Alton Brown" way, which has been around a lot longer than Alton Brown, obviously. ;) High temp for about 1/2 hour, then cover breast and legs with tinfoil and 350 till it's done - my mom has some rule for "no longer than 3 (or is it 4?) hours" for any turkey. At any rate, they're always moist and delicious, and I roast mine the same way (I do roast chicken this way too).

My best friend's mother put her turkeys in the oven the night before and cooked them all night long (and the morning too)! :blink: My friend said they were dry as dust. :tongue_smilie: