Menu

I'm feeling really guilty

plain jane

I know it probably seems like a pretty trivial thing to feel guilty about, all things considered, but it's really eating me up inside that I don't do a lot of read-alouds with my kids. :( I just don't seem to get around to them this year. I'm so swamped with actual school work and torn between all of them all day long that there's no time to sit with them and just read.

I guess I should really *make* the time, huh? Sigh. The older kids do a lot of independent reading and I sort of figured that was more important but it eats at me how little I read to my kids as compared to how much I read to them when the younger 2 weren't around.

I used to read over breakfast and lunch but now I find myself eating quickly and washing up pots/pans and putting away meal prep stuff while they eat so that everything will be tidy after the meal. I do sometimes put on an audio book if I remember but I don't always remember and sometimes it's just nice to listen to them talk amongst themselves.

Another big issue is the 2 year old who has little tolerance for listening to anything he doesn't want to listen to. :glare: I usually get a book ripped out of my hands and replaced with a board book or a great deal of loud, obnoxious whining that nobody is enjoying what I'm reading. It becomes chaotic and everyone is frustrated so I just sort of stopped trying. I'd do more reading during nap time, but truthfully, that's when some of our best schooling gets done. I do try to read at bed time but some evenings we're really busy and it's a rush to get them to bed on time, let alone 1/2 hour early for a story.

Ugh, I'm full of excuses when really, I should probably be doing a better job. :( I really do feel like I'm letting my kids down and not building happy childhood memories for them by not reading to them. The guilt really eats at me and I feel terrible, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm just so busy and already pulled in so many directions. :(

Edited by plain jane

No advice because I know EXACTLY how you feel!! I started this year looking forward to doing lots of read alouds with the kids, but the reality of it is, I just haven't found the time. I go back and forth all day long between the four of them. Then it's chores, activities, dinner, cleanup, time for DH (who doesn't get home until 8 or 9pm). By then, I'm so exhausted I just want to fall in bed and sleep. I tell myself every day I'll find the time, but never manage to actually do it.

Well my first answer was to eat more chocolate. If your guilt still isn't gone, repeat. At least at that point you can replace it with another form of guilt. :)

Seriously, I don't think any of us read aloud as much as we want. My toddler doesn't mind when I read, but dd usually plays with him. You might need to stick him in a high chair and use bribery. Or whip out extremely high value toys (water play and a shower curtain?). I actually WANT my two year old to hear the read alouds, even though they mean about squat to him (We're reading a version of Plutarch's Lives, lol.), because I desperately want to keep language going into him to help with the apraxia.

Can you pay one of these kids to read aloud during lunch? Can you put on an audio book while you eat? I'm not one to give up eating to read aloud, hehe, but I guess my waist shows it.

The reality is you may not get to do all you want. Pick a little change, something to appease yourself. Will your dh read a bedtime book just for Christmas?

Chocolate.

BTW, maybe you could carve one day a week for it? We get to thinking it has to be everyday, but even once a week would be something. Might work if you don't have lots of outside stuff.

Thanks for the support, ladies. OhElizabeth, sadly, chocolate has no effect on my feeling any better about this. :confused:

Another big problem I've encountered is because I'm so few and far between in my reading aloud that the kids are forgetting what I read the last time. :001_huh: I've been trying to get through Genevieve Foster's World of Columbus and Sons and while the kids are enjoying it when I do read, they probably don't think it's a continuous story because I get around to it so infrequently. :glare: UGH!

Thank you about mentioning reading once a week. It *is* better than not at all and seems more attainable than every day.

I've come to realize that while I love homeschooling, and I love the *idea* of a CM homeschool, it's really not me at all.

I don't know how integral reading aloud is to a classical education (vs the kids doing a lot of reading on their own) and I'm hoping I'm not failing them too bad in this regard.

Ugh, I'm full of excuses when really, I should probably be doing a better job. :( I really do feel like I'm letting my kids down and not building happy childhood memories for them by not reading to them. The guilt really eats at me and I feel terrible, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm just so busy and already pulled in so many directions. :(

I could have written that but added that I thought I hated reading aloud.

Finally, I just made myself do it and I am sooooooo glad I did! :D We cuddle on the couch, right after breakfast and I read for 15-20 minutes. That's it! It's a much more pleasant way to start the day (for us, anyways) and it allows us to connect in a physical way (I have a cuddler).

There was a point with my older son when the younger was taking up a lot of my time and I couldn't really do read alouds much with him at all. Also, he has auditory processing problems, so he really retained a lot more when he read himself, rather than me reading to him.

There are tons of great books on tape now. If you have a decent library (or good ILL program), you could get books on tape and let them listen to someone else read aloud while you're busy with littles.....

Ok, here's what I did tonight:

I've been eeking slowly through Pride & Prejudice because a dear cousin entreated me to do so. (hehehe) I've been reading it in begrudging 1/2 hours for nearly a year now.

At last, I got to the best part, & I couldn't put it down. I forgot to feed my kids. The little one crawled up in my lap w/ a Thomas the Tank Engine book.

I held it in front of him, & in very animated language, read P&P. He was content w/ that, as long as I remembered to turn his pp, but 3yo was quite suspicious. 9yo, w/ his own book 10pp from the end, got up in annoyance & retired to another room w/ 7yo.

At last, 3yo insisted upon hearing the train book's actual discourse, after which the little one was laid down. 3yo managed through beguiling to stay awake & finagled another bedtime story out of her sister, at which point, she curled up beside me & asked to hear "Jane Austen."

Ah, I said, not wanting to be put upon for such long discourse as reading aloud would require, but it's too long for you. You see this? I said, gesturing at the whole of the pictureless page, all of this is Jane Austen.

Her jaw dropped. I flipped pp at her, so she could see the encumbering nature of the author. Her jaw remained a fly-trap, but when I proceeded to read silently, she again entreated me to read Jane Austen to her, which I did, & she enjoyed. Or, on the pretense of enjoying the book, she enjoyed staying up.

:lol:

So just think: you could be a worse mother. You could be me. You could be conning your children out of read-alouds or even meager bedtime stories w/ books of your own interest.

It occurs to me now, however, that if we reap what we sow, I shall be in a poor way when I'm too old to read & must rely upon my children to read aloud to me. They may hold a good book up & instead read stock quotes, or worse yet, make one of my grandchildren read Thomas the Tank Engine to me. :svengo:

I've been eeking slowly through Pride & Prejudice because a dear cousin entreated me to do so. (hehehe) I've been reading it in begrudging 1/2 hours for nearly a year now.

At last, I got to the best part, & I couldn't put it down. I forgot to feed my kids. The little one crawled up in my lap w/ a Thomas the Tank Engine book.

I held it in front of him, & in very animated language, read P&P. He was content w/ that, as long as I remembered to turn his pp, but 3yo was quite suspicious. 9yo, w/ his own book 10pp from the end, got up in annoyance & retired to another room w/ 7yo.

At last, 3yo insisted upon hearing the train book's actual discourse, after which the little one was laid down. 3yo managed through beguiling to stay awake & finagled another bedtime story out of her sister, at which point, she curled up beside me & asked to hear "Jane Austen."

Ah, I said, not wanting to be put upon for such long discourse as reading aloud would require, but it's too long for you. You see this? I said, gesturing at the whole of the pictureless page, all of this is Jane Austen.

Her jaw dropped. I flipped pp at her, so she could see the encumbering nature of the author. Her jaw remained a fly-trap, but when I proceeded to read silently, she again entreated me to read Jane Austen to her, which I did, & she enjoyed. Or, on the pretense of enjoying the book, she enjoyed staying up.

So just think: you could be a worse mother. You could be me. You could be conning your children out of read-alouds or even meager bedtime stories w/ books of your own interest.

It occurs to me now, however, that if we reap what we sow, I shall be in a poor way when I'm too old to read & must rely upon my children to read aloud to me. They may hold a good book up & instead read stock quotes, or worse yet, make one of my grandchildren read Thomas the Tank Engine to me. :svengo:

I am crying I'm laughing so hard!!!!:smilielol5:

Hilarious, and adorable, and oh so true!!

Well I'm a worse mamma than Aubrey.

I read parts of Margery Kempe aloud to my 3yo. If I was going to suffer, she ought to suffer too. Uh, I mean, get some profit from it too, right?

OP, you could try reading to them when they're in the bath. That's the only time my almost 2 year old will listen; or at least not climb into my lap and make off with the book.

Rosie

Don't despair! We all have seasons when we are able to do different things. Maybe this is not your season of read alouds! It's wonderful that this is on your heart, but don't beat yourself up too much.

I don't know the ages of your children, but here are some thoughts:

Don't worry about the dishes! They will be there later! If you could spend 15 minutes reading while the children (especially the toddler!) are eating, then maybe your guilt would be lifted a little. Even if you could do that two or three times a week, you'd be establishing a nice reading routine.

I realize that when the little ones finally go down for naps or bedtime, that we mamas are often spent and craving some alone time of our own, but . . . you could try reading when your littlest one is sleeping. Again, 15 minutes would go a long way.

Also: put away the Foster book and read something that you'll all deeply enjoy. Maybe if you are all truly engrossed, you'd find some new energy and drive to make reading happen.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I read aloud during meals, so their mouths are full. I also read aloud while 2yo is in the bath. We read sometimes during 2yo's nap and also when I put the boys to bed I will read to them.

I do not do all of these in the same day, we switch it around to whatever works that day.

Have you tried audio books? I just plain do not enjoy reading aloud. After about 10 minutes, I think I'd rather take a trip to the dentist. Ds is getting some great children's books through audio books from the library. They are always read with different voices so dialogues are easy to follow too. We are in the car a lot, so mostly do them there. Occasionally I'll start one in the kitchen while I'm preparing a meal or cleaning up.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: Hilarious! Love it!

Also: put away the Foster book and read something that you'll all deeply enjoy. Maybe if you are all truly engrossed, you'd find some new energy and drive to make reading happen.

I think that makes a world of difference for us. If I'm also enjoying the story, I'm more enthusiastic about reading to them. :)

Edited by Knittinfarmgirl

I used to read over breakfast and lunch but now I find myself eating quickly and washing up pots/pans and putting away meal prep stuff while they eat so that everything will be tidy after the meal.

During meals is our favorite time for read alouds. I usually eat breakfast later than the kids do though so at most I'm sipping a cup of coffee while they are having their breakfast. That's when I most commonly read aloud, while they eat breakfast.

If you really want to do more read alouds, go back to reading over meals. Let them help you put away the meal prep stuff and everything afterward instead of you doing it while they eat. Then continue on with your business. :)

I read to our kids in the evening, right before they all go to bed. Everybody's pretty attentive (obviously, because they don't want to go to bed) and that's the only time I have to do our Read-Alouds also.

Audio-books are awesome. We did this last year. When we went somewhere in the car, we listened to our audio-book. In fact, that reminds me...I need to check out what our library has in terms of CDs.

I share your guilt. I only manage to read to them a couple of times a week. I am just too tired by the end of the day. Some weeks are better than others.

I don't like audio books <gasp>. I may have to get over that!

Still laughing at Aubrey's post. Awesome.

Thanks for the support, ladies. OhElizabeth, sadly, chocolate has no effect on my feeling any better about this. :confused:

Another big problem I've encountered is because I'm so few and far between in my reading aloud that the kids are forgetting what I read the last time. :001_huh: I've been trying to get through Genevieve Foster's World of Columbus and Sons and while the kids are enjoying it when I do read, they probably don't think it's a continuous story because I get around to it so infrequently. :glare: UGH!

Thank you about mentioning reading once a week. It *is* better than not at all and seems more attainable than every day.

I've come to realize that while I love homeschooling, and I love the *idea* of a CM homeschool, it's really not me at all.

I don't know how integral reading aloud is to a classical education (vs the kids doing a lot of reading on their own) and I'm hoping I'm not failing them too bad in this regard.

Just a :grouphug:...and a little aside...

CM had kids reading their own books as early as possible. There really wasn't much reading aloud. She wanted kids to read and relate to their own readings and then be able to narrate...orally in the younger forms and written in the later forms. If you look at CM's own writings, independent learning from "real" books happened sooner, rather than later.

HTH you feelings of guilt. LOL....

Faithe

Reading aloud works best for us first thing in the morning, even before they are out of bed (or this time of year huddled around the fire place in our pjs and blankies).

Bedtime read alouds don't work here.

I also don't know how old your kids are, but cleaning up after meals is everyone's job around here. In fact if you eat at all you have to pick up ten things in the kitchen (after 50 or so things the kitchen is usually done). I always say not to do myself what I can get a kid to do ;)

They will also often agree to 15 or 20 things each if someone will read. Sometimes I read or sometimes one of my older two read. Of course this is usually a time for short selections- poetry or jokes, not novels

I used to read my school books to oldest dd when she was a baby. She didn't get many kid stories but she did get to learn about physical chemistry. She was the only 1yo I knew that would look through books to find "mah-cubes" (molecules).

Now, the best times to do longer read-alouds are at bedtime and during nap/quiet time. Oldest dd is the only one who is really into chapter books, though sometimes the 4yo and 2yo will listen if they are snuggling with me. My kids have no interest in playing while we read. They want to be next to the book even if it doesn't have any pictures.

I read parts of Margery Kempe aloud to my 3yo. If I was going to suffer, she ought to suffer too. Uh, I mean, get some profit from it too, right?

OP, you could try reading to them when they're in the bath. That's the only time my almost 2 year old will listen; or at least not climb into my lap and make off with the book.

Rosie

I've been known to read Moby Dick to my newly 6yo.

But read aloud is a terrific job for a dad, and I've moved a lot of it to bedtime. I read something of my choosing and something they choose.

My 2 year old makes it hard to read, too. I felt like we hardly read at all last year. This year it was even harder. DH is gone a lot, and I even found bedtimes hard...I couldn't spend the time I wanted with each. Finally, in exasperation, I had them all lay on my bed a half or so before bedtime, and started reading. It worked!!! The youngest would hang out, nurse, and fall asleep (one down!) and the older two would listen avidly....though sometimes DD1 falls asleep by the end of a chapter depending on the day she had (2 down!). It has been my best plan yet. Sometimes we'll read for an hour (we would never get to do that during the day, nor would I likely hold their attention that long during the day). I LOVE this time we spend every evening, and I no longer feel guilty for not reading.

Rosie

You're going to force me to a full confession, aren't you?

When 9yo was born, dh & I were students at a private Catholic university. We read Heidegger to him because he preferred it to the Aeneid in Latin. (Our copy of Heidegger had a brilliant red cover.)

Later, I read my education textbooks to him. Having had several 2yos since my ed degree, I can tell you, this child was...nuts. He *loved* to have anything read to him. I was actually just experimenting that day to see if he'd *ever* turn a book down. :lol:

Audio books.

I really think the parent reading aloud is the best. I wish I could do this. I used to love reading aloud. It would be so great to share these wonderful books with my kids.

But.

It just doesn't happen. I find I dislike a lot of books with talking animals now, so much I am just not wanting to read them. Then it doesn't get done. Or something always seems more important. Or I am just making excuses, not sure. But audio books they can listen to far more than I can spend reading out loud, they can listen over and over whenever they want.

No I have to get over the guilt of not wanting to play them in the car because I prefer listening to music. There is always something to feel guilty about as a parent isn't there? Parenthood sometimes feels like one big exercise in dealing with guilt.

So many great replies!! I love reading how our goals end up actually working out! :lol:

I have 10 month old twins (and a 3yo, 5yo and 6 yo). I don't even want to think about next year...

I occasionally feel guilt for not getting to the read-alouds, but I have my growing up years to comfort me. My dad read to us (NEVER my mom) occasionally in the evenings. He would share his favorites with us: poetry, Chronicles of Narnia, LOTR trilogy, as well as The Princess and the Goblin and the Princess and Curdie. He read a few others that I remember, and they are among my favorites now. It was only for a few years that he did this, and it was certainly not regular. Yet, he was still able to impart a love for great literature to us ALL (all five of my siblings). I KNOW my kids are getting SO MANY MORE read-alouds than I did, and I'm sure I don't do as much as some here on the boards.

So, it's a comfort to me to know that as I enjoy literature - and share with my kids, it'll do the job. Besides. There are other things in life than reading stories. Like keeping their bedroom clean, and taking care of their plate after eating. Reading stories is, after all, entertainment. Ha ha! I know that I can forget about some dishes and laundry - but not for very long, because then my life is a wreck! So I don't feel guilty if I get read-alouds in three or four times a week. And they HAVE to keep their legos picked up. Period.:lol:

Well, I know how you feel. It's so tough to juggle. I have a 5th grader, 2nd grader, and a 3.5yr old. I'm really trying to focus more on reading to them but it's just so darned hard at times for all the reasons you mentioned. My 3.5yr old particularly gets the short end of the stick. I used to read to the others so much at this age.

The one thing I"m trying is to start the day w/ a read aloud. And then perhaps after some brain-draining subject, read something else. The boys wanted to know more about Romeo and Juliet so we're reading the Lamb edition of this for a few minutes each day. I"m also determined to start doing more living math like we used to so today I picked up Penrose the Mathematical Cat and we read 2 pages. I tried reading 5 Children and It aloud but didn't like reading it aloud so now we're doing it on audio.

I know it probably seems like a pretty trivial thing to feel guilty about, all things considered, but it's really eating me up inside that I don't do a lot of read-alouds with my kids. :( I just don't seem to get around to them this year. I'm so swamped with actual school work and torn between all of them all day long that there's no time to sit with them and just read.

I guess I should really *make* the time, huh? Sigh. The older kids do a lot of independent reading and I sort of figured that was more important but it eats at me how little I read to my kids as compared to how much I read to them when the younger 2 weren't around.

I used to read over breakfast and lunch but now I find myself eating quickly and washing up pots/pans and putting away meal prep stuff while they eat so that everything will be tidy after the meal. I do sometimes put on an audio book if I remember but I don't always remember and sometimes it's just nice to listen to them talk amongst themselves.

Another big issue is the 2 year old who has little tolerance for listening to anything he doesn't want to listen to. :glare: I usually get a book ripped out of my hands and replaced with a board book or a great deal of loud, obnoxious whining that nobody is enjoying what I'm reading. It becomes chaotic and everyone is frustrated so I just sort of stopped trying. I'd do more reading during nap time, but truthfully, that's when some of our best schooling gets done. I do try to read at bed time but some evenings we're really busy and it's a rush to get them to bed on time, let alone 1/2 hour early for a story.

We do our read alouds before bed. I have to read with my toddler first, then he is content to play quietly and hang out with dad while I read with my older ds. We listen to audio books over meals my toddler actually requested to listen to the cat in the hat. Audiobooks are wonderful and took over my reading last week since I was sick.

You're going to force me to a full confession, aren't you?

When 9yo was born, dh & I were students at a private Catholic university. We read Heidegger to him because he preferred it to the Aeneid in Latin. (Our copy of Heidegger had a brilliant red cover.)

Later, I read my education textbooks to him. Having had several 2yos since my ed degree, I can tell you, this child was...nuts. He *loved* to have anything read to him. I was actually just experimenting that day to see if he'd *ever* turn a book down. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok, you're weirder than I am!

:lol::lol::lol:

Your kid is weird than mine too!

My dd rarely shows any interest in anything I read, so I got the same reaction from Margery Kempe as from nearly everything else I read. She didn't actively seek it, but she didn't get up and run away, as she often does, so I guess sitting there was a positive reaction.

Rosie

Jane :grouphug: to you. I truly understand how you feel. I went through a time like this. It lasted two years.

There was a time when I read up to three or more hours a day to my kids (think Sonlight). Then two years ago I hit some kind of read aloud wall. I felt guilty, especially for my little ones.

What I have done is use audio books. We have tons of them now. I know the best thing is mom but when mama can't get to it audio books are the second best thing {imho}.

We have the first three vol. of SOTW, MOH, Jonathon Park, Little House books, Pilgrims Progress, Cricket in Time Square, Door in the Wall, Mary Poppins, etc.

For Lance, I have purchased Dr. Seuss audio books, his favorite Toad and Frog or Frog and Toad {can't remember the title}.

We have many more. I try to purchase one audio book a month. The children listen to them at nap/quiet or at bed time.

This doesn't mean that I never pick up a book to read to my K'er because I do, but it has helped with the 'guilt' factor.

This school year I started a read aloud time again. I do it first thing in the morning {after Bible time}. It's still not like before. I just finished reading a biography of Samuel Morris and now I'm considering MFW History to be our read aloud. I'll continue to purchase audio books as well.

Linda,

Where do you buy your audio books? We are thinking about buying JP from Vision Forum for Christmas. :001_smile: I'd like to pick up a few more and adding in one a month is a good idea.

Katrina, I purchase from Amazon, CBD and every-so-often I'll find a good audio book at Half Price Books here in town. My library has a nice audio book section but we don't make it out there very much.

you know...everything has its season. this is the season for the cranky 2yo to ruin the plot, and everyone will remind him of it someday. :001_smile: ask the kids how they feel about it, limit screen time, maximize independent reading, and maybe try some short stories or something when the 2yo isn't around, or just take a nap! don't worry--the seasons will turn again before you know it.

And, I believe that being read Thomas the Tank Engine must have been one of Dante's levels of hell, I just can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Oh, that's so true.

I just want to point out that I think the number of books people read aloud to their kids has gone up astronomically in the last decade or so. No one read anywhere near this many read alouds to me or to anyone else I know from my generation 30 years ago - especially not after we were able to read independently. I was reflecting the other day how my 1st grade boys easily hear 8 or 9 times as many chapter books read aloud as I did as a first grader and we don't even read as many books as some people seem to.

I guess I'm just saying we got by before and as long as kids have access to books, are equipped with the tools to appreciate them and are encouraged to do so, then I think they're probably okay.

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts before typing this. But, we solved this by listening to librivox.org during meals. We just finished Pinocchio and all loved it. Now we are listening to Peter Pan. HTH! Also, for my ds5, I filed 1 book per week in his files. I read that same book once every day of the week M-Th while the others have book basket time. We don't do anything additional, but the rereading of it has been super fun! The Read-aloud Handbook is so inspirational. If you haven't read it, there are copies on paperbackswap. Just list 10 books to ship out and grab a copy of it! BTW, ds5 also listens to librivox, but I knew he needed more personal attention than he was getting, so this is one thing I added for him.

Ah, the many-splendoured ways of a compliment.

Wait.

Weirder than Rosie? That *was* a compliment, wasn't it? Hmmm??

Of course it was! Geekiness is a delightful thing, didn'tcha know?

Rosie- who didn't realise she was one of the Well Trained Weirdies :confused:

P.S Another vote for audiobooks. They are relieving my guilt by reading stories I hate reading to my kids so I don't have to. I know the Beatrix Potter stories are an essential part of childhood, but they bore me to death. Same with Aesop's fables. Even after deleting a bundle because I can't handle the accent (which brings me to wondering why anyone other than Australians like Australian accents) I still have about 28 hours of listening time. The audiobook is happy to chatter away in the background while we go about our business, and don't mind re-reading, or us not listening at all. What wonderful service!

Edited by Rosie_0801

:grouphug: The two year old won't be two forever. My youngest is five so I can say that now.:001_smile:

Haven't read any of the other responses, but perhaps you can do more readalouds during the summer while the toddler is napping, particularly if you don't school year round.

And by all means, choose a book that you enjoy reading. I don't mind reading aloud, and we do a fair bit of it, but some books are hard to slog through for me. In your situation, with the obstacle of a toddler, I would concentrate on one you will enjoy.