Menu

Are we going to be with our current spouses in heaven?

Who do you end up with in heaven?  

1. 1. Who do you end up with in heaven?

• No earthly bodies in heaven, thus no spouses in the earthly sense, just kids and family
    • Of course I'll end up with my spouse in heaven, it wouldn't be heaven if he/she were not there!
    • All spouses, past and current
    • I don't know
    • Other (please elaborate)

What is your interpretation of heaven? Or your interpretation of what the Bible says on the matter? Do we all cavort happily with our spouses, or there is no marriage in heaven? If we are married multiple times, who are we going to be with in heaven? Or is it all one big, happy family?

For those of you who have seen the movie Titanic, does Rose end up in heaven with Leonardo DiCaprio or her husband (who possibly loved her more than she did)?

Or is heaven just an amazingly sophisticated virtual reality?

WOW! That's a tough one, because the Bible doesn't specifically say, and I personally waffle between "yes, we'll still be spouses" and "no, we'll all be like one big happy family". I think the hardest thing for my "yes" decision is the fact that I know several people who 1) were married, got divorced, got saved, and then remarried (someone else), only to have their first spouse get saved as well, years later, or 2) were saved, spouse died, and then they remarried. So does that mean they'd have numerous spouses in heaven? AWKWARD.

I'd like to think that I get to spend eternity with my dh - I can't imagine a day without him holding me. And eternity is just about enough time for all the snerfling I plan on doing with him :D (is that TMI?)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Matthew 12:18-25

18 Some Sadducees (who say that there is no resurrection) came to Jesus, and began questioning Him, saying,

19 “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves behind a wife and leaves no child, his brother should marry the wife and raise up children to his brother.

20 “There were seven brothers; and the first took a wife, and died leaving no children.

21 “The second one married her, and died leaving behind no children; and the third likewise;

22 and so all seven left no children. Last of all the woman died also.

23 “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.”

24 Jesus said to them, “Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God?

25 “For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

ETA that I voted no, though I don't think it has anything to do with our bodies.

18 Some Sadducees (who say that there is no resurrection) came to Jesus, and began questioning Him, saying,

19 “Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man’s brother dies and leaves behind a wife and leaves no child, his brother should marry the wife and raise up children to his brother.

20 “There were seven brothers; and the first took a wife, and died leaving no children.

21 “The second one married her, and died leaving behind no children; and the third likewise;

23 “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.â€

24 Jesus said to them, “Is this not the reason you are mistaken, that you do not understand the Scriptures or the power of God?

25 “For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

ETA that I voted no, though I don't think it has anything to do with our bodies.

:iagree:

23 “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.â€

:iagree: God is clear on the matter.

:( I have always been taught that all of our relationships are changed in heaven and that our spouse is no longer our spouse. It makes me so sad. I love my dh, my dc, my daddy, and my sister. My daddy and my sister are not believers.

I have to confess, I'm not sure how I feel about spending eternity without my sister or my daddy and having dh not be my dh. Honestly, what's the point? My life is about my loved ones. Without them, there is no life for me.

I don't know. This is an area of huge struggle for me these last few months. :(

IRT the poll, it is my hope my dh would be my dh, but I somehow don't think that will be the case. ::sigh::

We just read this in Mass on Sunday. I like to *not* think about this.

I agree with this:

Question: Will a husband and wife be reunited in heaven?

Answer:

In heaven we will be reunited with all the believers we have known in life, as well as united with all other believers whom we have yet to meet. However, the marital unions of earth will not be continued in heaven (Matt. 22:24-30; Mark 12:19-25; Luke 20:28-36). We do not know exactly what our relationships will be with one another in heaven, except that even marriage is not as wonderful as the relationships we will have then. This is not in any way to suggest that marriage is not an incredible blessing -- it was part of God's plan for man in the ideal setting of Eden before the Fall (Gen. 2:18-25), and it is still a wonderful gift. Nevertheless, it appears in the Bible that marriage is an institution reserved for this world alone, and that heaven will have something even better.

I voted other, because I believe from scripture that once the resurrection occurs we will most certainly have bodies, like Christ had when he was resurrected (Luke 24:39, 1 Thess 4: 14-17). And once the earth is made new at the very end, we will enjoy our perfect bodies on the new earth (Rev 21: 1-8). But I don't believe we will have the same sort of relationship ie what we call marriage here on earth. Bible says we will be like the angels in that sense, who do not marry or are not given in marriage (Matt 22: 24-32). I believe we'll certainly know each other as family, but the primary marriage relationship in heaven will be with the Lord Jesus Christ (Eph 5:25-33). All earthly marriage is meant to demonstrate and mirror this heavenly relationship. It's the whole reason for the institution of marriage in the first place, which is why God hates divorce (Malachi 2:16, Matt 19: 3-9.) even though he allows for it under certain situations.

23 “In the resurrection, when they rise again, which one’s wife will she be? For all seven had married her.”

And I don't think it's a bad thing. Yes, we are reunited with other believers, but our souls go to GOD, complete and whole for the first time. I sure do love my husband, but I love God more. I will be satisfied knowing we will both be there in that place, and will no longer *need* each other the way we do here.

ETA: So I voted 'other' because we end up with God in heaven, not with any particular group of people.

I believe in eternal marriage.

:iagree: What she said....

Matthew 16:19 (See also Matthew 18:18)

"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Interesting. I didn't know about those references to scripture. I voted "I don't know" myself. It makes me severely depressed to think I won't be seeing my dearly departed Dad in heaven, for this thought is the only thing that could console me after he left us unexpectedly 8 years ago. I don't want to be without my children, my husband. I sincerely want to believe heaven is all that we enjoy and the company of people we love. I understand about communing with God, but why not commune with God AND enjoy our families for eternity?

:iagree: This was my first thought.

Agreed. I voted other though. Our spouse may or may not be there (I can't just the condition of one's soul or place with the Creator). If we are there together, our relationship will not be what it is now and our focus will not be on one another, but rather on the one that created us and called us to be with Him for eternity.

I struggle with this one, too.

And I'm not sure the wording is entirely clear - "won't be married or given in marriage". Someone married 7 times isn't "given in marriage" to anyone (because in that situation, in order for her to be married, she'd have to be given to one of the 7, or someone new). "Married", I originally took this in the sense that already married, but have changed my mind - what if it is a similar sense to "given in marriage", i.e., getting married now in heaven? I do know that Moses is Moses, and retains who Moses is. God is God of the living, not the dead. There is so much written in the Bible about marital unions and their children - that lineage is kept. Why would that lineage suddenly cease to be when you die? If I'm the daughter of Tom and Sue on earth, then wouldn't I still be their daughter later on? Did Jesus cease to be the son of Mary when he ascended? I'm in the "given a new body" camp:) But really, I just don't know so I didn't officially vote.

I voted Other...

Prefaced by: I'm a Deist

I would like to think that in some form or other we will be with our loved ones. I don't claim to have the answer, but I trust that God will take care of us as well as he has here on Earth.

Part of me hopes that my DH and I can have a "life" together there as well, but I also think that we all become a part of a wonderful energy, all of us combined - and with God. Hard to explain.

And I don't think it's a bad thing. Yes, we are reunited with other believers, but our souls go to GOD, complete and whole for the first time. I sure do love my husband, but I love God more. I will be satisfied knowing we will both be there in that place, and will no longer *need* each other the way we do here.

ETA: So I voted 'other' because we end up with God in heaven, not with any particular group of people.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:(emphasis mine.)

I should explain that the reason I am happy that I am not going to heaven is because as one of the other sheep Jesus spoke of, I have not been called to that hope. Those of the little flock that have been chosen have a vision of that life and a desire for it.

Some interesting points: 2 Timothy 2:18 "They have left the path of truth, claiming that the

resurrection of the dead has already occurred; in this way, they have

turned somepeople away from the faith." Hebrews 11:13, "In faith all these died, although they did not get the [fulfillment of the] promises." at Revelation 5:10, “they will rule as kings over the earth,”

Not every faithful human goes to heaven. Acts 2:34; Matthew 11:11; Psalms 37:9,11,29. The Bible speaks of a first resurrection. and those that do go to heaven may not be there forever. They have a job to do. "And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no authority, but they will be priests of God and of the Christ, and will rule as kings with him for the thousand years.”—Revelation 20:4-6. “to judge the twelve tribes of Israel" Luke 22:28-30.

Revelation 14:4, 13; Philippians 3:11 "firstfruits to God and to the Lamb,". "Happy are the dead who die in union with [the] Lord from this time onward." "attain to the earlier resurrection from the dead."

“Your brother will rise.” Martha answered: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.”—John 11:17-24.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Guest Cindie2dds

I hope so. He is my best friend. I don't know what it would look like, but I can't imagine not being with someone who is such a huge part of my life.

I am a Latter-day Saint, so yes, I believe in eternal families. And, yes, I will be with my husband in heaven. As we like to say, "Families are Forever".

For any who are interested in the LDS doctrine of eternal marriage, here is an article. There are many more you can search for on this website.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=0e5b74536cf0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Edited by DianeW88

Families can be together forever through Heavenly Father's Plan.

I believe that my husband and I will be together in heaven. I also believe that my children (though not born of me) will be with me forever. As for the details that is what they are and we will have eternity to figure them out. I personally believe that my childrens' birthmothers will get to be with us too because they are now part of my family through their precious babies. But this is one of those details that will be figured out in heaven and that I don't worry about to much on earth.

took the words right out of my mouth!

What she said...

A thread tailor-made to bring the Mormons out of the woodwork. ;)

I'm not a Mormon, but I find their afterlife theology a lot more palatable than the idea of giving my soul up to be merged with God's. That gives me the willies.

My answer is, I don't know.

Another LDS person here! (Hi KingM.) I'm grateful to know that our family can be together forever.

"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

I clicked other. Jesus Christ taught about this after the Sadducees came to him asking about a woman who had had 7 husbands, all of whom had died. Jeses said she wouldn't have any husbands there, etc. There are references to the saved of Israel being the bride of Christ, too, but that may is more figurative just as the church being the body is figurative.

As for bodies, our new bodies will be different (see I Cor 15).

I'm mentioning this because you asked, not to argue theology:001_smile:, but I don't believe that my soul will be merged with God and am not sure where that teaching comes from. Why would God create people if they are just going to end up merged with Him? We don't believe that the soul we have now is immortal, but that the gift of holy spirit is (I Cor 15, it's the seed that is sown in the corruptable, natural body), but that we will still be us once we're raised from the dead. We believe that no people other than Jesus goes to heaven until the return and that those who go will be in their new bodies the way Jesus Christ was.

I cannot say for certain what goes on in heaven since there really wasn't much written about it, and our church (along with a number of other churches) believes that those saved before the day of Pentecost won't be raised until later and so will live in Paradise (the third heaven & earth as is mentioned in peter), etc.

I voted other because I do believe that we will have our glorified bodies in heaven but we will not be "married."

We will definitely know and recognize our spouse and all of our loved ones for that matter but there will be no marriage. All in heaven are a part of the church universal and are the bride of Christ.

I voted other. Not to be glib, but my actual answer is "I don't know and I don't care." LOL Really, I have no choice in how it's going to be and I think that getting to BE WITH God is going to trump everything else--as my relationship with him in this life does. So I don't know, but I don't really think about it much. :)

I voted No. But I don't think it has anything to do with having earthly bodies or not.

We'll be in heaven! Here on earth, we can't even begin to imagine how it will be to be in God's actual, physical, constant presence. I think that spending an eternity worshiping Him will fill our entire consciousness, I don't think we'll be worrying too much about our Earthly relationships. Sure, I think we'll be aware of our loved ones and will be able to spend eternity with them in a perfect place, no hurt feelings, pain, misunderstandings, etc. I just don't think that who your spouse was on Earth will be too important when you're in the presence of the Creator.

I voted other because I do believe that we will have our glorified bodies in heaven but we will not be "married."

We will definitely know and recognize our spouse and all of our loved ones for that matter but there will be no marriage. All in heaven are a part of the church universal and are the bride of Christ.

This.

I used to struggle with something similar to this when I was a kid.

I would stay up at night worrying that God wanted me to love him more than my parents and I just didn't and I didn't understand how I was supposed to love anyone more than them. When I asked my mom, she said that God knew me and knew that my love for my parents was good and that it wasn't wrong that as a child I didn't know how to love God more than them.

As I've gotten older, I now DO love God more than my parents. I still love them immensely, but I love God more.

I think that this is similar. I love my husband, I even have a difficult time loving God more than my husband - certainly in things like this where I think about having to live separate from my husband. But I trust that God knows me, and knows that my love for my husband is good and that it isn't wrong for me to be learning how to love God more.

As for heaven, I believe that I just don't know. And since I don't know, I'm going to trust that God would not build up a relationship in my life to be so important and then render it meaningless when His will is complete. I don't know how it will look, but since I believe in God and I believe in an afterlife with Him, I believe that it will be good.