Menu

I'm so mad at myself! What would you all do?

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to roast two whole chickens and a big turkey breast to have the meat on hand for several recipes. Well, long story short- I had to leave the house. I called dh and asked him to turn off the oven at 6:00 PM. He did. But he didn't take the stuff out of the oven. I didn't get home until 9:30 PM, and by that time had forgotten all about the poultry in the oven.

It just dawned on me a few minutes ago, so I look in the oven, and there is the roasting pan, still covered. I took it out and the meat doesn't look bad, but is it totally ruined? I hate to think that I did that and wasted all that money. These are organic, free-range chickens and turkey, so they weren't cheap.

Help!

Oh dearie, I'm the odd one out. If it was cooked through I'd use it. Done that before and left it out longer than that.

I would heat it all through again and then use it. My mil used to leave food out all the time without refridgeration,is what dh tells me, maybe she still does. Noone ever died. I don't know if they got sick often.

Some friends of mine do this for Shabbos, as they cannot use the stove after sundown or do any work of any kind. I would reheat it and eat.

:iagree: Another vote for reheat and eat.

Okay, I think what I've decided to do is keep it and give it to DH to try. If he isn't in the ER later, I'll use it.

I'm going to let him be the guinea pig because:

1. He could have reminded me about it when I got home and/or taken it out and put it away himself.

2. I've seen him eat some very questionable stuff, including some very, very green beef, so I think he can handle it.

Okay, I think what I've decided to do is keep it and give it to DH to try. If he isn't in the ER later, I'll use it.

1. He could have reminded me about it when I got home and/or taken it out and put it away himself.

2. I've seen him eat some very questionable stuff, including some very, very green beef, so I think he can handle it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, i love it!!!

I would absolutely eat it. My family has no issues with food sensitivity, being prone to food poisoning, etc. We typically leave leftovers on the counter for a couple of hours before refrigerating. It sounds like the meat was in the oven for 3 hours, a good portion of which time the oven was still hot. If it doesn't smell nasty, or form a layer of slime on it, I would re-heat it well (bring to a bacteria-killing temperature) and use it.

Of course, if you have sensitive digestive systems, or very little ones, they probably would be wise not to partake.

ETA: I just noticed it stayed out overnight, not 3 hours. Hmm, that's a tough one. I think I agree with your decision; if dh is OK with trying, he should, since it's his fault. If no one else dares to eat it, that can be his meat for the next week or two till it's gone. At least it won't be wasted.

Edited by AHASRADA

i wouldn't trust this "test" ~ your little kids could still get very sick even if your dh gets away with it.

this was my first reaction, which you should completely ignore:

if you recook it to a high internal temperature, then it should re-kill anything that grew....

and then it would be fine to eat.

a little dry, perhaps, but gravy covers all ;)

but then i had a little memory twinge, and found this:

Staphylococcus aureus ("Staph") food poisoning. Symptoms of food-borne Staph don't come from the bacteria themselves, but rather from the toxins they release into foods that are left out at room temperature. These toxins are resistant to heating, so recooking food that has been sitting out will not prevent you from getting Staph food poisoning.

so the final answer is that i wouldn't let anyone eat it.

sorry.... we only eat organic free range, and i know just how much money you are about to throw out : (

ann

Oh dearie, I'm the odd one out. If it was cooked through I'd use it. Done that before and left it out longer than that.

I agree completely. The only exception might be if it were middle of summer and stinking hot in the house. Been there, done that, still alive to tell the tale!

Nikki