Menu

Anyone Else Feel This Way About Santa? (CC)

I'll preface this by saying that we do Santa here, so I'm not 'anti-Santa'. I think it's a fun tradition, but we definitely try to make Christ the main focus of our Christmas. However, in recent years, I've noticed this push to elevate Santa to a sort of religious figure, and it really bothers me.

I think the first place I noticed it was in the movie 'The Polar Express'. There was this whole emphasis on believing in Santa and the kid crying out, "I believe! I believe!" just struck me as a sort of pseudo-religious thing. But I've really noticed a lot of it since then in various places. (I was reminded of this today when I walked through the Christmas display at Kohl's and they had a whole bunch of decorations that said, "Believe")

Anyway, maybe I'm just odd in this regard. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way? I'm finding that Santa just has less and less of a place in our Christmas celebrations every year, and I've come to the point where I actively avoid Santa-themed items (clothing, wrapping paper, decorations, etc.).

I think the whole "believe" thing is geared more toward believing in magic and such, not so much elevating Santa. IOW, I view it as more whimsical or something.

Santa comes to "visit" us, but I don't really "do" Santa wrap or decorations and we don't read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" or anything. We attend church on Christmas Eve and read the "Christmas Story." My dd (10) likes (if there is time) to watch "The Nativity."

I can totally understand not being comfortable with the whole thing. But I don't really get the same vibe off of it all that you do. :)

I'll preface this by saying that we do Santa here, so I'm not 'anti-Santa'. I think it's a fun tradition, but we definitely try to make Christ the main focus of our Christmas. However, in recent years, I've noticed this push to elevate Santa to a sort of religious figure, and it really bothers me.

I think the first place I noticed it was in the movie 'The Polar Express'. There was this whole emphasis on believing in Santa and the kid crying out, "I believe! I believe!" just struck me as a sort of pseudo-religious thing. But I've really noticed a lot of it since then in various places. (I was reminded of this today when I walked through the Christmas display at Kohl's and they had a whole bunch of decorations that said, "Believe")

Anyway, maybe I'm just odd in this regard. I was just curious if anyone else felt this way? I'm finding that Santa just has less and less of a place in our Christmas celebrations every year, and I've come to the point where I actively avoid Santa-themed items (clothing, wrapping paper, decorations, etc.).

We have a Santa-type thing here too. I popped my youngest kids' bubbles last year, but they decided to not give up Santa.

I don't think that it is a recent thing -- elevating Santa to a sort of religious figure. Consider: many people play the Santa game and there is never much talk or teaching of why Christmas.

I think you notice it more the older your kids get and the more people say things to them about Santa.

The good thing about Christmas that I see is that even if people don't believe in Christ but celebrate Christmas, I think they see it as a time to focus on the family or the people they love.

You mentioned a movie that I would prefer my kids not watch anymore.

If I know an actor or performer has actively supported different issues that I am totally against, I will probably not watch their movies or listen to their music.

I'm not real hip on Santa either, mostly because of what he has come to mean in society. So for that reason, Santa doesn't come to our home.

However, I do believe in the saints and Saint Nicholas is where Santa Claus came from. So on Dec. 6th, we do the thing where they leave their shoes outside their bedroom door before bed and small gifts get left in them. We read or talk about who Saint Nicholas was and why he's associated with Christmas and include "Santa" that way instead.

There was this whole emphasis on believing in Santa and the kid crying out, "I believe! I believe!" just struck me as a sort of pseudo-religious thing

I hear ya. This bothers me a little, too. For me, it's not so much that I feel it's creating an artificial religious connotation, but just the emphasis that you must believe. I don't want my kids to think it is bad or wrong to give up the belief in Santa. When they are done believing, I don't want some sort of tension hanging over their heads that they won't hear the bells, or they'll fail to get gifts or anything similar if logic has taken over and they no longer believe.

However, in recent years, I've noticed this push to elevate Santa to a sort of religious figure, and it really bothers me.

In my opinion, pop culture Santa has always had the omniscient air about him:

"He knows when you are sleeping

He knows when you're awake

He knows if you've been bad or good..."

Just a thought--

Why do we need the magic of Santa--why is it more thrilling, more special, more wonder-filled, just MORE--when we have the real magic of Jesus?

I'm all for St. Nicholas, and I don't begrudge anyone their Santa.

I just don't understand why Christians are constantly adding to the incredible wonder and glory of Christianity, as if it isn't enough?

Just a thought--

Why do we need the magic of Santa--why is it more thrilling, more special, more wonder-filled, just MORE--when we have the real magic of Jesus?

I'm all for St. Nicholas, and I don't begrudge anyone their Santa.

I just don't understand why Christians are constantly adding to the incredible wonder and glory of Christianity, as if it isn't enough?

:iagree:The more we add to Christmas, the more it takes away from Christ.

My problem with Santa is not a popular one, but I'll state it nonetheless. When children are little, parents tell them "Santa is coming." They give gifts "from Santa." They take their kids to visit Santa. They are lying to the children. Santa isn't real, and when parents tell their kids that he is, they are lying. We don't let our kids lie, so why is it OK for us to do it? And then, when the children are older and find out that Santa is not real, they realize that trust has been broken. Can they believe what their parents tell them in other situations? One friend of mine explained it this way: As Christian parents, we tell our children that Jesus is real, but we can't see him. If this is the same thing we've said about Santa, what's to make them understand that Santa is make-believe, but Jesus really is real? You've tarnished your credibility.

As it relates to the OP, if Santa is becoming elevated into a psuedo-religious figure, the lines of distinction are blurred even more. How can a child understand the difference between make-believe Santa and the real God? How can an older child believe in God after finding out that this other religious figure he was told to believe in when he was younger is not real?

Do I dislike all make-believe? No, as long as everyone knows it's make-believe. I love the kids to play pretend, and we tell them tons of make-believe stories, but they know they're not real. When we go to Disney, the kids understand that there are people in the character outfits, just like the understand that the Santa they see at the mall is a man playing a part.

How do we handle various aspects of Christmas? Our children know the make-believe story of Christmas, and they know that some families play pretend with their children. As for our family, we celebrate by making it a birthday party. We put up a tree and Christmas decorations, but those are our birthday decorations for Jesus. We give presents and explain that since it's Jesus' birthday, everyone gets presents. We read the Bible story of Jesus' birth (1/2 on Christmas Eve and 1/2 on Christmas day). We have a birthday cake and sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. We have tried to find a balance between creating Christmas family traditions and maintaining the truth and purpose of Christmas.

When you, as a Christian, start to compare Santa to Jesus, it is amazing. There are so many similarities. Satan is the great deceiver and tries to copy things that God/Jesus do. When I look at that, I can see (IMO) what is going on. It makes me frustrated that "the world" tries to convince kids that santa is real but refuse Jesus. (when they know darn well that santa is not real) (our joke (because of the play on the letters in the names santa and satan) is that it is not santa but satan because we believe he is behind the santa thing because santa mirrors Jesus so closley and it is so "fun" to convince our kids that santa is real) It "seems" so harmelss, so fun. But when you realize that ON JESUS' BIRTHDAY another is being glorified (who has many similarities) it makes me see that although I don't think santa IS satanic, satan is pretty psyched that santa is generally the one focused on for the celebration of Christ's birthday.

It finally ended for us when my son was about 6. We had friend who did not do santa. My son almost got into a fistfight with this other kid because my son insisted that santa was real and this kid said he was not. While I was telling my son that others could believe what they wanted to and that we did believe that santa was real my daughter piped up and said, "Well, I know that santa is real because I can SEE him but I don't think Jesus is real because I have never seen him". I said, "THAT'S IT!" and we never looked back. Christmas is what we believe it should be, Jesus' brithday (OK, not really but, you know, it is the honoring of it).

I don't want to offend anyone. I never fault others who do santa and all that, it is so culturally.....expected. I just felt like for our family, we felt it was not right anymore.

Edited by Momma H

When you, as a Christian, start to compare Santa to Jesus, it is amazing. There are so many similarities. Satan is the great deceiver and tries to copy things that God/Jesus do. When I look at that, I can see (IMO) what is going on. It makes me frustrated that "the world" tries to convince kids that santa is real but refuse Jesus. (when they know darn well that santa is not real) (our joke is that it is not santa but satan because we believe he is behind the santa thing because santa mirrors Jesus so closley and it is so "fun" to convince our kids that santa is real) It "seems" so harmelss, so fun. But when you realize that ON JESUS' BIRTHDAY another is being glorified (who has many similarities) it makes me see that it is satan.

It finally ended for us when my son was about 6. We had friend who did not do santa. My son almost got into a fistfight with this other kid because my son insisted that santa was real and this kid said he was not. While I was telling my son that others could believe what they wanted to and that we did believe that santa was real my daughter piped up and said, "Well, I know that santa is real because I can SEE him but I don't think Jesus is real because I have never seen him". I said, "THAT'S IT!" and we never looked back. Christmas is what we believe it should be, Jesus' brithday (OK, not really but, you know, it is the honoring of it).

I don't want to offend anyone. I never fault others who do santa and all that, it is so culturally.....expected. I just felt like for our family, we felt it was not right anymore.

Our Christmas celebrations have always focused on Jesus from Advent through the day we celebrate the visit of the three kings (after Christmas). We did watch a movie on the real St. Nicolas and "play the Santa game" and our kids knew we were pretending, so Santa had a very minor part in our celebrations.

That said, two of the most mature Christian women in our congregation (both mentors of sorts to me) did the whole Santa thing with their families. They obviously didn't see it as Satanic at all. They saw those similarities as a way to pave the way to Christ, in the same way that many missionaries find things in a new culture that nonetheless point to Christ. So they took the magic, the wonder, the gift-giving, etc. and used it as an evangelistic tool to say--Santa was so fun--but Jesus is the real thing--even more wondrous than your childhood memories. As I said, we didn't go that way in our family, but Christians who choose to celebrate Christmas with the Santa traditions may actually be using those similiarities in quite the opposite way from viewing them as Satanic.

Edited by Laurie4b

I've never had a problem with Santa. We "do" Santa, but, we never told our kids he was real. We told them that it's fun to pretend and we love to pretend there is a Santa, but, really Mom and Dad do all of it. We also let them know that it's our family secret because a lot of friends do believe in Santa and we don't want to ruin it for them. It worked for us.

But...Jesus is the center of our Christmas celebration from beginning to end.

We've never done Santa. Not because we think it's inherently bad nor are we judgmental in anyway of families that do. It's just it felt so "commercial and materialistic" and especially as it's gotten worse since we were children.

We watched polar express and loved the train. That was it. We never watched it again...not all that impressed with the story line. But, the train that was used as the model for the artwork was from a train museum about 60 miles from here so we were curious.

I think our society has gotten really materialistically out of whack and that is where the discomfort lies because the whole thing is about "presents' only anymore.

Faith

Our Christmas celebrations have always focused on Jesus from Advent through the day we celebrate the visit of the three kings (after Christmas). We did watch a movie on the real St. Nicolas and "play the Santa game" and our kids knew we were pretending, so Santa had a very minor part in our celebrations.

That said, two of the most mature Christian women in our congregation (both mentors of sorts to me) did the whole Santa thing with their families. They obviously didn't see it as Satanic at all. They saw those similarities as a way to pave the way to Christ, in the same way that many missionaries find things in a new culture that nonetheless point to Christ. So they took the magic, the wonder, the gift-giving, etc. and used it as an evangelistic tool to say--Santa was so fun--but Jesus is the real thing--even more wondrous than your childhood memories. As I said, we didn't go that way in our family, but Christians who choose to celebrate Christmas with the Santa traditions may actually be using those similiarities in quite the opposite way from viewing them as Satanic.

I am always impressed with mature Christians who can engage the culture in this way and point it to Christ.

We love Santa. But we have a big Advent Party,Home Advent Wreath with Bible readings, Christmas Pageant, Family Christmas Eve Service, Christmas Day Service, Christmas Eve dinner at Church, many children's books, mostly Christian. The kids have always been clear about Jesus. I don't see the problem with a little Santa. Should we quit baking cookies?

We've never "done" Santa. It made my mother furious when we told her to please stop talking about all the things Santa was going to bring them for Christmas. My kids know that Santa is just pretend, like Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast. We focus on the Jesus though. My kids know that Christmas is when we celebrate the birth of Christ, even though it's not when He was actually born.

That being said, we read the Christmas story from the bible and "Twas the Nigh Before Christmas". We sing traditionally Christmas hymns and fun songs like Rudolph. We watch fun movies like Charlie Brown's Christmas and The Christmas Story. We have a nativity, and we have a couple of cute Santa figures we put out at Christmas. We love the Polar Express. As a matter of fact, we went on the Polar Express ride two years ago, which is a train over in another town, that takes kids to "The North Pole" and gives hot chocolate and candy. The waiters/waitresses dance in the aisles and sing Christmas carols. And then Santa comes through for pictures and gives each child a bell. It was a ton of fun!

I don't see why it has to be an either/or thing. There are ways to do both, but I do agree that Santa is way overdone. My kids get asked a million times every year what Santa is bringing, but no one really has ever asked how they are celebrating Christ's birth.

That Polar Express train ride sounds like so much fun!!

We may do Santa but we elevate and emphasize Jesus way more than Santa. We even have a birthday party for Jesus each year on Christmas night! I just like doing the magic of Christmas with Santa.....same way as we enjoy the magic of Disney each time we go.

Santa is someone who we may talk about for 25 days of the year. I emphasize Jesus to my kids every single day, multiple times a day.

I have never really been very comfortable with telling my dd5 about Santa since I do regard it as lying. On the other hand I have not told her he is not real either. She gets one or two gifts from Santa but the majority of her gifts are from Mom and Dad. Thinking about this I wonder if she has not picked up my ambiguity on the subject since she is still afraid of sitting in Santa's lap for a picture. She does know that Santa is just someone dressed up.

and I bought into the whole, "you're lying to your kids, and they'll think you are lying about Jesus," and all that.

I then stopped to think of all the fun, magical Christmas mornings I had as a child, and the fact that I NEVER questioned Jesus, or considered my parents liars. I realized that my kids were just not that ignorant that they wouldn't

get it when the time came.

Christmas is a wonderful memory from my childhood, Santa included, and I chose to let my kids have those same memories.

Yes, we emphasize Christ. Yes, my kids now know the truth about the real Saint Nicholas, and we always talked about it. But I LIKE doing this. It's an enjoyable part of the giving for me. I just don't see it as the huge issue some make it out to be.

Let me add that as far as secular emphasis on Santa, of course it's overdone. We don't go overboard on that end.

Sigh. Santa has been giving me no end of headaches. We have tried down-playing it in this house, and my son is all too happy to fill his sister in on the details, and I tell her it's just a game we play, explain the person the legend comes from, etc. She doesn't like the truth, so she goes on and on about it, clarifying details, and she doesn't have the ability to keep her mouth shut around others. If she tells my sister's kids, I'm doomed. My sister has all but obsessed over it and is horrified someone may leak the truth to her kids. :001_huh:

I don't mind the fun game of Santa, but it's become a cultural replacement of Christmas itself, since Santa is a great marketing tool and that pretty much sums up our culture anymore. Sooner or later it's going to be called Santamas since it rings nicely with the world "sale". Santamas Sale. Just wait. :glare:

I'm lukewarm about it really. Christmas is centered around giving and Christ.

I really think it boils down to how much emphasis parents place on Santa. My kids have never "visited" him. We don't go to the mall and they don't shop with me much to see all the commercialization.

We do Saint Nicholas. We have stockings that have small treats in them, mostly candy and toothbrushes. Santa DOES not give gifts, there are just too many children. I refuse to have my kids believe someone else has worked hard to give them a present!

My kids are mostly into decorating and baking. I have a quite a few giving activities planned for them this year.

Oh and they love that PE movie too...ick.

I like how our family tackles it. Santa is one more symbol in the Christmas folklore. Just like stockings and christmas trees and wreaths. I don't try to overspiritualize every christmas symbol (paganize the christmas tree or christianize the candy cane), but our focus is definitely on the birth of Christ.

We technically don't "do" Santa as my children have always known that we buy their presents and they buy presents for each other. Hubby and I were never raised with that particular tradition so we don't miss it. But we have fun with Santa ornaments, Santa movies, etc. And my children know the story of St. Nicholas.

We've just made sure to incorporate more traditions that point us to Christ and help us remember what it is all about. We want the traditions that our children remember the most to be the ones that pointed them to the real meaning of Christmas.

:iagree:The more we add to Christmas, the more it takes away from Christ.

My problem with Santa is not a popular one, but I'll state it nonetheless. When children are little, parents tell them "Santa is coming." They give gifts "from Santa." They take their kids to visit Santa. They are lying to the children. Santa isn't real, and when parents tell their kids that he is, they are lying. We don't let our kids lie, so why is it OK for us to do it? And then, when the children are older and find out that Santa is not real, they realize that trust has been broken. Can they believe what their parents tell them in other situations? One friend of mine explained it this way: As Christian parents, we tell our children that Jesus is real, but we can't see him. If this is the same thing we've said about Santa, what's to make them understand that Santa is make-believe, but Jesus really is real? You've tarnished your credibility.

I get what your saying, and I agree. Actually it's a lot of food for thought. But I am curious about what you do where the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy are concerned?

I'm like you, not an anti-santa person, but one thing that annoyed me when my dd was small was that dh and I spent money and took the time to buy nice special things for her for Christmas. Did we get thanked or hugged for that stuff? Nope. Some impersonal elf got all the credit.:glare:

And there it is... my beef with the big guy!! LOL For a family our size, Christmas is always a struggle and a test of my creative skills. It becomes almost painstaking, and we don't "do" a lot. Generally it is 3 gifts, to represent the Wise Men. One big gift from Santa, one accessory from us, and a small gift in the stocking. But as the teens got older, we found they liked to spend their "limit" on 1 BIG gift, which was ok by me. Because they once told me their BEST Christmas was one year where we could only afford 1 nice gift and none of the extras.

We have been debating telling the kids this year. They are 4, 6, and almost 8. I hate taking away that wonder for the 4 yr old. But my kids have never been to see a mall Santa, and the hard work and effort that goes into should be acknowledged. Plus I just don't like keep up the charade. I am BIG on honesty, and it's starting to make me question our choices in this. So I am going to forward this thread to DH, and have him sign up to read. I am sure we'll be discussing this later....

Thank you all for all your wonderful input and insights :)

We've never done Santa, either. At least, not the fairy tale. Our kids have always know their gifts come from us, and they also each have a small budget to pick out gifts for their family members.

We've told them the story of St. Nikolaos of Myra, which is a great story about charity, and that he was the basis for the legend of Santa Claus. We make Christmas about the birth of Christ, and gift giving is a practice to show appreciation for God's charity toward us in giving us His son. We have never gone in debt to celebrate Christmas either; we have a small budget and we focus more on being together as a family and on traditions. (We make gingerbread men every year, open stockings on Christmas Eve, decorate the tree together, etc.) We also donate used books, toys and clothing a few weeks before Christmas. This accomplishes the dual purpose of involving my children in active charity, and clearing out clutter before everyone gets new things. :)

My husband is a stickler for facts, so our children also know that Jesus wasn't born *on Christmas day*; rather, it's a day set aside to celebrate His birth.

Being truthful has never interfered with our family time or joy in the Holidays. :)

My husband is a stickler for facts, so our children also know that Jesus wasn't born *on Christmas day*; rather, it's a day set aside to celebrate His birth.

Being truthful has never interfered with our family time or joy in the Holidays. :)

:iagree:Same here about being a stickler for facts, LOL! It's something we have mentioned but never really DWELL on, KWIM?

We also celebrate Epiphany on Jan. 6th with Asian and Middle Eastern food for dinner and King Cake for Dessert!

I get what your saying, and I agree. Actually it's a lot of food for thought. But I am curious about what you do where the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy are concerned?

We follow the same principle as we do for Santa. The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are pretend, and our children know that. We can't avoid talking about them because references are everywhere, including grandparents who ask our DD "How much money did the Tooth Fairy leave you?" The first time she was asked this, DD just looked at them like they'd lost their mind. :D We don't have any teeth rituals in the house. They think loosing their teeth is exciting enough because it shows that they're growing up.

As for the Easter Bunny, we don't "do" the Easter Bunny, and we don't make a big deal about baskets. We go to church and then have a big lunch with family and friends. My kids do think Easter egg hunts are really fun, so every year, my husband hides a bunch of plastic eggs in our yard and the kids hunt for them after we eat. They know he hides them, not the Easter Bunny, so we're upholding the truth about the situation. As for keeping the focus on Jesus, we've tried to tell them some kind of relationship between eggs and Jesus (new life, etc.), but we've struggled with that one. I guess the Easter egg hunt is one secular tradition we've kept simply because the kids think it's fun. On any other day of the year, a treasure hunt for items in the backyard would not be considered irreligious, so I guess that's my rationale.

When you, as a Christian, start to compare Santa to Jesus, it is amazing. There are so many similarities. Satan is the great deceiver and tries to copy things that God/Jesus do. When I look at that, I can see (IMO) what is going on. It makes me frustrated that "the world" tries to convince kids that santa is real but refuse Jesus. (when they know darn well that santa is not real) (our joke (because of the play on the letters in the names santa and satan) is that it is not santa but satan because we believe he is behind the santa thing because santa mirrors Jesus so closley and it is so "fun" to convince our kids that santa is real) It "seems" so harmelss, so fun. But when you realize that ON JESUS' BIRTHDAY another is being glorified (who has many similarities) it makes me see that although I don't think santa IS satanic, satan is pretty psyched that santa is generally the one focused on for the celebration of Christ's birthday.

You do realize that "santa" is the Spanish word for "saint," don't you? The "Claus" part is from the German "Klaus". The name Santa Clause is relatively American phenomena. It came about as many cultures collided in the melting pot. SinterKlaas came with the Dutch to the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam which was later renamed New York.

In other countries he has other names that in no way can be attributed as an anagram for Satan. Father Christmas, Pere Noel, Julenissen (which translate to "Christmas Gnome") and Kris Kringle to name a few.

If you take those names in the language of origin, you won't get an anagram for what that country's Christians call the Devil.

Parrothead. Stop it. You're messing with my entire world view.

Which reminds me of the scene in A Miracle on 34th street where the little (adopted) Dutch girl at Macy's gets to sing the SinterKlaas song with the *real* Santa.

You do realize that "santa" is the Spanish word for "saint," don't you? The "Claus" part is from the German "Klaus". The name Santa Clause is relatively American phenomena. It came about as many cultures collided in the melting pot. SinterKlaas came with the Dutch to the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam which was later renamed New York.

In other countries he has other names that in no way can be attributed as an anagram for Satan. Father Christmas, Pere Noel, Julenissen (which translate to "Christmas Gnome") and Kris Kringle to name a few.

If you take those names in the language of origin, you won't get an anagram for what that country's Christians call the Devil.

Santa was kicked to the curb in our house a long time ago. I sometimes get angry comments from parents complaining that one of my kids 'spilled the beans' about his nonexistence. Oh well. We don't do the easter bunny or the tooth fairy either!

I have always told my kids that they are NEVER to tell another child that Santa isn't real. It is not my, or my children's place to do that. For some people, Santa is a very important part of their celebration, and just because we don't celebrate the same, that doesn't mean we mess it up for their families.

I have always told my kids that they are NEVER to tell another child that Santa isn't real. It is not my, or my children's place to do that. For some people, Santa is a very important part of their celebration, and just because we don't celebrate the same, that doesn't mean we mess it up for their families.

We do the same with a whole range of non-existent beings whose existence some people take quite seriously. It is not our place to "burst bubbles."

Bill

In a foreign language, Spycar is an anagram for Satan.

:lol::lol:

To the OP:

We did Santa, Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. When my dds found out the truth (at 7 and 9) they were not crushed. They did not think we were liers nor did they start to question God. Things went on as normal and they still get one gift from Santa that they look forward to each year. Santa only becomes bigger than God/your faith if you let it.

In a foreign language, Spycar is an anagram for Satan.

This reminds me of a certain person in my family who used to say that we shouldn't sing "Noel", since "el" means "Jehovah" in Hebrew, and singing "No-el" meant you were singing "No God." The same person also insisted on the Santa/Satan thing, and said that saying Merry Christmas meant "Happy Death of Christ."

Is there a rolling-eyes smiley anywhere?

This reminds me of a certain person in my family who used to say that we shouldn't sing "Noel", since "el" means "Jehovah" in Hebrew, and singing "No-el" meant you were singing "No God." The same person also insisted on the Santa/Satan thing, and said that saying Merry Christmas meant "Happy Death of Christ."

Is there a rolling-eyes smiley anywhere?

:lol::lol::lol:

No doubt, they don't have a Christmas tree, stay away from wreaths and holly, don't use the colors red and green, don't have a Yule log, don't decorate Easter eggs - heck, don't even say Easter, since that is a pagan term...come to think of it, do they say the days of the week? Those are named for false gods, I hope they know...

:i

My problem with Santa is not a popular one, but I'll state it nonetheless. When children are little, parents tell them "Santa is coming." They give gifts "from Santa." They take their kids to visit Santa. They are lying to the children. Santa isn't real, and when parents tell their kids that he is, they are lying. We don't let our kids lie, so why is it OK for us to do it? .

I guess I don't see it this way. We take our kids to Disney and they see the characters. As young ones, they believe that these characters are actually real and that they live at Disney. If they asked me about it, I wouldn't lie - I usually asked a question back, "Well, what do you think?" This helped me see where they were and how much they actually wanted to know. We do the same with Santa. We read books, watch tv shows, etc so the kids know the story - they hear that Santa comes to visit on Christmas Eve. I've never lied to my kids. Yes, I've allowed them to believe the story, just like I allowed them to believe that Cinderella really does live in that castle. But, when directly asked, I do not lie.

My oldest asked one year when he was 10 or so. I asked him what he thought. When he told me that he thought that mom and dad did it, I asked him if he was sure he wanted to know. He did. I told him. He's now a part of filling the stockings with us and he loves it!

We love Santa. But we have a big Advent Party,Home Advent Wreath with Bible readings, Christmas Pageant, Family Christmas Eve Service, Christmas Day Service, Christmas Eve dinner at Church, many children's books, mostly Christian. The kids have always been clear about Jesus. I don't see the problem with a little Santa. Should we quit baking cookies?

Yes!! This! We do these same things. But, some of the holiday is purely secular and commercial and, I believe, just plain fun. I don't think it takes away from our Christian celebrations of Christmas in any way.

We do the same with a whole range of non-existent beings whose existence some people take quite seriously. It is not our place to "burst bubbles."

Bill

THANK YOU! Seriously. Thank you.

This is pretty much us too. Lots of church-centered celebration and discussion of Jesus birth with a little Santa thrown in. Oh and lots of cookie baking. And snowmen. Can't get enough of those chubby little guys. Have a whole collection of 'em :)

Bill

:iagree:

It isn't my place to dispel someone else's kids' notions or interfere with their family traditions.

:iagree: Same here about being a stickler for facts, LOL! It's something we have mentioned but never really DWELL on, KWIM?

We also celebrate Epiphany on Jan. 6th with Asian and Middle Eastern food for dinner and King Cake for Dessert!

Yep - we don't go out of our way to *exclude* Santa from Christmas; we just don't credit him for the gifts. :D

You sound exactly like me! For the past few years, I've been deliberately trying to avoid Santa wrapping paper, and opt instead for wrapping paper with Angels, Snowmen or Snowflakes, Christmas goodies (cookies, candy canes), Ornaments, Candles, Christmas village scenes, etc.