Menu

Your favorite soup and sandwich meal....

Need some more soup and sandwich or soup and salad meal ideas. You may not post grilled cheese and tomato soup, because according to my children, that is a lunch food. (But they will eat breakfast for dinner :confused:)

My favorite combo is a half club sandwich, cup of potato soup, and a mixed greens salad with carrots, mushrooms, olives, etc. and a light dressing.

We have lots if soup and sandwich nights around here because we eat our main meal at lunch when possible. I already posted my favorites. My kids like tuna sandwiches, ham and cheese melts, and turkey sandwiches on toast with lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Gumbo always brings a smile to their faces, as does bisque. And for the salad, they eat what DH and I eat, which varies according to what's in the fridge and what we are in the mood for.

Black-eyed pea soup. I usually serve this with fresh bread and/or salad, too.

This is perfect for dh! He loves black-eye-peas, and we were just trying to figure out what to serve w/ the poblano and chedder chicken sausage we have. The boys are saying yum and drooling, and the girls are saying yuck- but I know they'll love this! Guess what's on the menu for Monday!

This is perfect for dh! He loves black-eye-peas, and we were just trying to figure out what to serve w/ the poblano and chedder chicken sausage we have. The boys are saying yum and drooling, and the girls are saying yuck- but I know they'll love this! Guess what's on the menu for Monday!

That recipe was the first black-eyed pea recipe I ever tried, and I was instantly in love. I use Johnsonville BOLD Hot Links in it. I just can't get enough of it.

How 'bout potato soup and grilled cheese. Just give them half a sandwich. Potato soup and turkey sandwiches are good too. A cup of chili and a taco salad is good. A bowl of gumbo is always a good stand alone. And a bowl of beef stew is good with a salad of mixed greens, chopped fresh pear and chopped walnuts with a bit of cheese topped with a nice vinaigrette.

Grilled provolone cheese and tomato sandwiches with black bean soup.

I love cheese and tomato sandwiches, but the girls don't. We do ours open-faced. Bread w/ mayo, slice of american cheese, and a tomato slice under the broiler. I'll have to try it w/ provolone- that would probably convert one of my girls anyway!

Turkey/chicken n dumplings (I guess the dumplings would be the "sandwich") :) I use the bisquick mix for dumplings. Great way to use turkey/chicken leftovers!

We also all enjoy Zuppa Tuscana from Olive Garden and found a knock-off recipe for it. We'll have that with breadsticks for dinner.

You may not post grilled cheese and tomato soup, because according to my children, that is a lunch food. (But they will eat breakfast for dinner :confused:)

Well, then how about roasted red pepper and tomato soup and turkey and cheese panini? That is nothing like tomato soup and grilled cheese, right?

Other then the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese I like clam chowder or corn chowder in a bread bowl with a side salad.

Need some more soup and sandwich or soup and salad meal ideas. You may not post grilled cheese and tomato soup, because according to my children, that is a lunch food. (But they will eat breakfast for dinner :confused:)

Ah, what about not any old grilled cheese and tomato soup. Try Pioneer Woman's favorite sandwich with homemade tomato/spinach soupl That is our hands down favorite.

I will eat any sandwich. I will eat any soup. AFAIC, there is no greater food than soup, except if it is accompanied by a sandwich.

My favourite soup cookbook is Twelve Months of Monastery Soups. Most of them are pretty quick to fix, so perfect for lunches or quick suppers.

An equally inspiring book by the same author is Twelve Months of Monastery Salads.

Your library would probably have both of these, or at least be able to Inter-library Loan them for you.

For sandwiches, you could try using tortillas and make wraps, or slicing them into pinwheels. Kids usually think that's more fun all of sudden, even it is still the same ham and cheese they've always eaten.

Ham and cheese with green chilis and mayo on Ezekiel bread is my favourite sandwich, by the way. I like it best with potato leek soup.

Edited by Audrey

We aren't big on eating sandwiches with soup, but I'll share some of our favorite recipes for each. You might come up with good ideas to pair with them.

One of our favorite homemade sandwiches is the Savory Sandwich from Pampered Chef. We don't use all the same toppings, but we definitely prepare the bread this way and use the Italian dressing.

Here is another yummy sandwich.

Pesto Focaccia Sandwich

1 large deli-loaf focaccia or ciabatta bread

3.5 oz. prepared pesto (approximately ½ c.)

½ lb. thinly sliced Black Forest ham

½ lb. thinly sliced turkey breast

6 provolone cheese slices

½ small red onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut bread in half horizontally using a bread or other serrated knife. Spread pesto evenly over both cut sides. Layer ham and next 3 ingredients over bottom half. Top with remaining bread half. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until warm in middle. Cut and serve.

Here are our favorite soup recipes.

Fiesta Soup

1 can black beans (15 oz.)

1 can whole kernel corn (11 oz.)

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz.)

Fresh Cilantro, to taste

Ground Cumin, to taste

Stir together and simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes.

Heidleburg Soup

1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables

3 large potatoes, peeled and diced

1 large onion, chopped

Water to more than cover the above 3 combined in large pot

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 cans cream of celery soup

8 oz. velveeta, cut into small cubes

Pepper to taste

Boil the first three ingredients until potatoes are tender. Make sure you have water left in pot. Add the bouillon and soup. Heat on medium until bouillon cubes have melted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cheese slowly, allowing the pieces to melt before adding more. Stir continually until all cheese is melted, being careful to not scorch.

Phillie cheese steak sandwiches and French Onion soup. That'd be MY personal favorite. :D

Of course now that I've gone vegetarian, I usually just have the roll and French Onion soup.

Daisy, do you eat fake meats? I've never had a real PCSsandwich, but my husband make a delicious one using this: http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/archives/2005/06/white_wave_seit.php. We make them vegan, but if you eat cheese I bet they'd be even better.

I don't eat soup with my sandwiches but I love a fresh egg salad sandwich with a good cup of hot tea.

I make my egg salad with:

6 boiled eggs

1 Tablespoon real mayo

1/4-1/2 red onion chopped

Dash of salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 1/2 tsp dry mustard (I don't like mustard so I skip this)

Spread onto a good quality french bread.