Menu

Black worm burrowing out of dead mouse

:001_huh: :eek:

My parents caught a mouse and as my dad was taking it to the garbage, he noticed a hole in the middle of the mouse. Then a thick black worm with a 'snail like head' poked out of it. He left it outside overnight and saw that the 'worm' had burrowed through the other side of the mouse, but was still in it. He then buried it in the yard. They are wondering what it was though, and I am too! Any ideas? BTW, TOTALLY gross!

I would assume that it was a parasite that had lost it's host?

:iagree: My cat used to catch mice, and then I'd watch a wiggling brown thing, HUGE, squirm out the mouse's rectum....in about 5 minutes flat. The deflated little creature was all skin and bones after that. No wonder they eat everything.

Cool! Stuff like that is so neat!

A couple of years ago, we killed a huge cave cricket in our basement. When I went to pick it up, I saw that it had a worm coming out of it. The kids and I Googled it and found out that it was a Gordian worm. It didn't live long after the cricket died.

We still have it in a specimen bottle. :)

Here's a gross story to go with that...

Warning...

My sister is a farmer/rancher and they have a lot of outside cats. One time she picked up a young cat and there appeared to be a hole in the cat's side. So my sister, who is not phased by anything, starts squeezing/pushing and a "worm" came out of the hole.:blink: The cat turned out to be fine, I think she de-wormed it.

It's a bot fly...sometimes it happens to humans...we had a mouse in the house a few years ago and I saw it cross the hallway very slowly, so I got the wiener dog to go in and get it from my son's room and it EXPLODED when the bot came out! It was so totally gross and the fly was all squirmy too! :tongue_smilie:

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNAeVLlY8w

Here's a gross story to go with that...

Warning...

My sister is a farmer/rancher and they have a lot of outside cats. One time she picked up a young cat and there appeared to be a hole in the cat's side. So my sister, who is not phased by anything, starts squeezing/pushing and a "worm" came out of the hole.:blink: The cat turned out to be fine, I think she de-wormed it.

that was a maggot. It happened to my Rat Terrier twice. Apparently they get them while laying in the grass.

ETA: bot fly. That was it. Gross.

Edited by Denisemomof4

That about made me lose my lunch!!! Why oh why did I watch that? It was kinda interesting though.:lol:

It's a bot fly...sometimes it happens to humans...we had a mouse in the house a few years ago and I saw it cross the hallway very slowly, so I got the wiener dog to go in and get it from my son's room and it EXPLODED when the bot came out! It was so totally gross and the fly was all squirmy too! :tongue_smilie:

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnNAeVLlY8w

Oh shiver! That particular movie gave me the heebie jeebies as a kid!

Oh, I get it now. That was the one with the bug in Chekov's ear, wasn't it? I made my mom take me to the doctor two weeks after seeing that to make sure there was nothing in my ears. It really freaked me out.

Gross, yet fascinating stuff. When I was 14, a mother cat that had been living in my aunt's garage was hit by car and killed. I took on her 3 week old kittens, bottle feeding them. One day I noticed a grub like worm in the neck of one of the kittens. Not knowing any better, I poured hydrogen peroxide on it and used tweezers to pull it out. We had a special bond after that :001_wub:. I brought her home and she lived to the ripe old age of 21 years! My parents kept her when I went off to college. I worked for a veterinarian all through college and found out that what I'd pulled out of her was cuterebra.

I honestly don't know if I'd have the guts to do deal with it now, the way I did back then :tongue_smilie:.

WHY DID I OPEN THIS THREAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?! GAHHHHHHHHH!!!

For the record, the title of this thread should just be labeled "horrible, horribleness inside!" I keep having to scroll past the title and it just keeps reminding me.

My scalp is crawling and I feel faint just from the idea. And yet, I went on ahead and clicked all the links anyway :confused: Why? WHY?!

My scalp is crawling and I feel faint just from the idea. And yet, I went on ahead and clicked all the links anyway :confused: Why? WHY?!

Me too! Why do we torture ourselves this way?? I have the major heebie jeebies now. :willy_nilly::blink::eek::ack2: