Menu

House clothes ideas!!!

Okay I need your help. I'm looking for some simple ideas of comfy clothes I can slip in in the morning, go for a walk, go to the store...and still be cute!

Pics with link would be awesome!!! I'm somewhat trendy, without being extremely so. Anyway...ideas would be great.

Think, modern homeschool mommy clothes ;).

You mean like a denim jumper? That would work perfectly. Oh so stylish too. :001_smile:

I am of course kidding though I remember my mother wearing those while homeschooling me and my siblings as kids.

I'd love some suggestions on clothing like that too so ... :bigear:.

I constantly see ladies out and about in tennis gear. Standing in a line at Walmart recently, I asked a lady where she played. She said she didn't, she just liked the clothes!!!! I honestly thought she was joking, but she wasn't. She said they are cool, cute, comfortable, fairly modest (tennis skirt); perfect for running errands.

Another mom at dd's ballet was in a cute workout outfit last week. I asked her if she was going somewhere to workout during ballet class. She said no, just run errands.

While watching other dd's basketball game I sat next to a mom in scrubs. "Are you a nurse or PT?" I ask. She said no, she just likes how "serviceable" scrubs are. She went on to explain they are elastic waist, comfortable, lose and easy to care for. She likes to slip them on after wearing her business clothes all day. She wears them to work around the house or run errands.

Interesting........

Okay I need your help. I'm looking for some simple ideas of comfy clothes I can slip in in the morning, go for a walk, go to the store...and still be cute!

Pics with link would be awesome!!! I'm somewhat trendy, without being extremely so. Anyway...ideas would be great.

These are all pics from Reitman's. I like them for comfort and price. Their styles are only slightly trendy, but accesories can make a big difference.

These are all things I have in my wardrobe for fall that aren't what I'd call "office wear" -- more like stuff I would wear as regular daily clothes. I like the way they put pieces together on their website. Maybe this will give you ideas.

Here are a few more outfit ideas. I have my eye on that green wrap top. I think those kind of tops are very comfortable and VERY flattering. They have a line of pants -- and I've seen a similar concept everywhere lately -- that is a pull-on pant with a wider waistband, but it isn't an old granny-pants elastic waistband. They look kind of dressy, but feel much more comfortable. You can dress them up or down. I love those pants.

Edited by Audrey

Here are a few more outfit ideas. I have my eye on that green wrap top. I think those kind of tops are very comfortable and VERY flattering. They have a line of pants -- and I've seen a similar concept everywhere lately -- that is a pull-on pant with a wider waistband, but it isn't an old granny-pants elastic waistband. They look kind of dressy, but feel much more comfortable. You can dress them up or down. I love those pants.

I love the wrap!!! I kinda want a long one. Hmmmm

A friend at work recommended J.Jill.

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/index.aspx

Anyone shop there? The stuff on the website looks cute but not too work for running around the house and errands.

I like the clothes, but wow they are expensive! Anybody have something similar looking more in the $20-$30 price range for a dress, top or pants?

I love the wrap!!! I kinda want a long one. Hmmmm

Reitman's is a lot like Old Navy and Kohl's. I've noticed a lot of similar styles in stores similar to those. I think they're pretty on target for ladies like us (not 20 anymore, but not a senior citizen, and wanting to look stylish but be comfortable). I think you'd find a lot of options in those kinds of stores. Then, personalize it with some accessories that are really "you." I love boots, scarves and funky jewellery. I think it's amazing how just throwing on a gorgeous scarf can make you feel all dressed up and pulled together no matter what you're wearing.

I like the clothes, but wow they are expensive!

I love J Jill and buy almost all of mine on eBay for a fraction of the cost! Some is new, some is used, but usually it's in excellent condition. I also shop J Jill's Sale section online. Don't forget to Google <store name> promo codes any time you shop online. I'd say about 75% time I can find a great promo code for $ off / free shipping / etc.

Good luck!

My favorite for around the house or running errands are:

IN SPRING, SUMMER AND FALL

capris or casual skirts with nice tops or casual dresses

IN WINTER

above the knee loose-fitting skirts (ie, thin yoga pants fabric) with nice tops and leggings or loose-fitting, casual dresses and leggings

WHEN RUNNING ERRANDS

For shoes I stick to my Keens, or sketchers or a pair of my boots... have a wardrobe of boots. I don't wear athletic shoes when running errands.... just don't feel right in them and I don't like to wear ankle-length pants.

While watching other dd's basketball game I sat next to a mom in scrubs. "Are you a nurse or PT?" I ask. She said no, she just likes how "serviceable" scrubs are. She went on to explain they are elastic waist, comfortable, lose and easy to care for. She likes to slip them on after wearing her business clothes all day. She wears them to work around the house or run errands.

Interesting........

I just had this thought yesterday but then decided that I don't think I could go around wearing Spongebob or even bright pink all day. Maybe if I could find some dark neutral colors.

I currently have a pair of black knit pants that I love. I wear them all the time though and pretty soon the rear will be worn out.

I usually wear Jeans and t-shirts - short sleeve in the summer, long sleeve in cooler weather - or hoodies. If I'm not planning to go anywhere except a quick trip to the store or to pick up dd from school, I'll wear yoga pants or slightly fitted sweat pants (they fit like yoga pants but are thicker material).

I used to work in a nursing home and scrubs are very comfortable. I used to have to wear dark hunter green tops and white bottoms. I don't know if I'd want to wear them out in general though. They aren't very flattering.

Shoes are sneakers, Uggs or sandals depending on the time of year.

My oldest keeps threatening to send my picture to "What Not To Wear" due to the sweat pants and the fact I tend to wear camisoles or sports bras instead of what she calls "a real bra" which means padding and underwires. I'm a 36A, I can use the padding but an underwire isn't going to help enough to be worth the discomfort of it.

I just had this thought yesterday but then decided that I don't think I could go around wearing Spongebob or even bright pink all day. Maybe if I could find some dark neutral colors.

I currently have a pair of black knit pants that I love. I wear them all the time though and pretty soon the rear will be worn out.

The lady I was speaking with had on a pair of slate blue scrubs bottoms and a green/pink/yellow henley style scrubs top with a sort of tie dye pattern. I have seen her in other scrubs that are neutral and different style tops. They look nothing like pediatrics. If anything, they remind me a bit of what the vet techs wear......

A friend at work recommended J.Jill.

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/index.aspx

Anyone shop there? The stuff on the website looks cute but not too work for running around the house and errands.

I LOVE jjill. I've bought a few things from there, and everything I've purchased has been ultra-comfortable and durable. I love the "Wearever" collection.

In the summer I wear capris. In the winter I wear a semi dressy pant. I prefer a knit material and of course for my figure wide legs. I buy my pants in neutral colors esp black, brown and grey. They go with everything and I prefer to accent my upper body. I buy what I would call in between shirts. I don't buy plain knit tops or sweaters. I still like to look pretty at home. For summer I tend to buy knit shirts that are fashionable but not too dressy or casual. Make me feel pretty but still feels good and easy to wear. In winter I buy sweaters that are 3/4 length sleeves partly because that's what I prefer but also keeps me warm without being hot so thermostat can be set a little lower and save us money. I don't buy anything heavyweight either. I like them to be decorative in some way, like unusual neckline, unusual material, I stay away from turtle necks and tight fitting but if you want to show off your curves I'd say go with a longer sweater and when you go out you can accessorize with a long necklace or belt and some ballet shoes. If your weather isn't too severe leggings would work well.

The lady I was speaking with had on a pair of slate blue scrubs bottoms and a green/pink/yellow henley style scrubs top with a sort of tie dye pattern. I have seen her in other scrubs that are neutral and different style tops. They look nothing like pediatrics. If anything, they remind me a bit of what the vet techs wear......

Minus the cat and dog hair probably :lol:.

I usually wear jeans and v-neck tees (long or short sleeve) in solid colors and the more fitted cut. I dress things up or down with my shoe choice and how much jewelry I add in. In the summer it's pretty much the same, I just substitute knee-length denim skirts for the jeans. I get a lot of my clothes off the sale rack at Old Navy -- a couple of weeks ago I got 2 pairs of jeans for $9! I wear yoga pants as pajama bottoms, but can't quite bring myself to wear them out of the house.

You mean like a denim jumper? That would work perfectly. Oh so stylish too. :001_smile:

I am of course kidding though I remember my mother wearing those while homeschooling me and my siblings as kids.

I'd love some suggestions on clothing like that too so ... :bigear:.

:lol:

When I think of houseclothes I think of yoga pants and a long-sleeved cotton shirt and/or a comfy sweater. If I'd have to leave I'd throw on a nicer pair of jeans or pants. Yet I am nice enough to answer the door or go for a walk or to the mailbox.

I just bought a few shirts like this from Old Navy and Land's End. I think my pants are from Target.

My legs are too skinny to do leggings, but I like the look on others. (From the back I look like a teen.) So I don't know that I can help you with the curvy fit suggestion.

I have a few rules or suggestions:

- Buy clothes in the woman's section. Don't wear men's t-shirts out in public.

- Buy clothes that fit you, not hang on you. (fitted shirts - no boxy shirts!)

- If it would look cute on a toddler, don't buy it. (No Disney characters, no GerAnimal looking outfits, over-sized sweatshirts with slogans)

and

- search out and buy one pair of really great fitting jeans that you feel great in. Don't let the costs hold you back from feeling great. Remember, you can always buy a $6 t-shirt to go with it and still look and feel wonderful.

hth

K

Curvy Jeans: Gloria Vanderbuilt and Lee Riders (no-gap)

I'm a huge fan of the workout clothes to run around in. If yuo check out Prana or Athletica, they have great stuff. (exp. so you have to get sales.)

I also find cute stuff at target. The key for me is to find a great workout jacket - cotten and spandex. Makes what you're wearing look a lot less - go to the gym.

At home, the grocery store, and the park I like to wear yoga pants and a fitted tee shirt. Not a big baggy ill fitting sloppy shirt. Target has some nice ones. This is great for crawling on the floor with the little ones, and running through the park with the kids. I'm comfortable but not sloppy as sweat pants would be.

For field trips, co-op, etc. I opt for mid length to long skirt and a blouse, sometimes even one of the same tee shirts I mentioned, depending on what I will be doing and the weather.

I have a few go to outfits, when I wish I could stay in my pjs but can't.

I have to have a nice sweatsuit, so I try to find something higher end and wear them with everyday Indian gold dangly earrings (similar to these: http://www.goldpalace.com/page/GPJI/PROD/GHP/29451), and a cute hair style.

I have a few 2 B Free sets, which can look a little cheesy. But they are so incredibly comfortable, and they dress up well. The trick is to find a decent color.

I have to go through my clothes once a year and force myself to get rid of old dingy stuff. I let myself keep one or two (what I call) "period outfits" :).

I do tunics with legging and flats, which I love because I can add heels or boots, and/or a long cardigan http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/3111438?origin=related-3111438-0-0-2 and scarf http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=60772&vid=1&pid=786922&scid=786922022

I also love long dresses. They're usually sleeveless, so I wear them in the house as is, and do a long cardi maybe a scarf if it's cold. They look good with sandals or boots.

:lurk5:

Edited by helena

My oldest keeps threatening to send my picture to "What Not To Wear" due to the sweat pants and the fact I tend to wear camisoles or sports bras instead of what she calls "a real bra" which means padding and underwires. I'm a 36A, I can use the padding but an underwire isn't going to help enough to be worth the discomfort of it.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm a similar bra size (right between a 36 and a 38) and hate underwires, but I've found JC Penny has a bra (Ambrielle, I believe) that gives you a bit of shape and support (molded cup) without an underwire. So nice and comfy. Just thought I'd pipe up, because I know what a pain it is to go bra shopping as an A cup.

I have a few rules or suggestions:

- Buy clothes in the woman's section. Don't wear men's t-shirts out in public.

- Buy clothes that fit you' date=' not hang on you. (fitted shirts - no boxy shirts!)

- [b']If it would look cute on a toddler, don't buy it[/b]. (No Disney characters, no GerAnimal looking outfits, over-sized sweatshirts with slogans)

and

:iagree:

I don't know that I'm that fashionable, so take this for what it's worth. I'm a skirt/dress girl, so I almost always wear a skirt and top. They are easy to dress up or down and I find them very comfy. I get skirts at Bedford Fair and Christopher & Banks most often.

I usually get my tops from Landsend or Christopher & Banks. I'm not into the super matchy outfits C&B sells, but they work well as separates. They have nice tops that aren't too pricey, but are nicer than a t-shirt. I rarely pay full price... overstocks and sales are my friend. :D

I get cardigans from Landsend.

Then I usually put mary janes on my feet. Danskos are my favorite.

May I hijack here for a moment and ask about yoga pants?

Are they, uhmmmm, appropriate for someone with, shall we say, saddlebags? Do they show panty lines? What's the difference between yoga pants and sweat pants? I'm assuming from the comments here that they are less frumpy. But how?

Yoga pants are far, far, far better looking than sweat pants. The right pair will make your butt look awesome. I don't wear yoga pants out of the house, but when I do wear them I get... umm.... lots of attention from dh, and I do not think I'm particularly butt-blessed either.

Are they, uhmmmm, appropriate for someone with, shall we say, saddlebags? Do they show panty lines? What's the difference between yoga pants and sweat pants? I'm assuming from the comments here that they are less frumpy. But how?

I just bought my first pair for a class, and they are so crazy comfortable!! They were pricey, but you can feel they are good quality cotton. The brand is Hard Tail Forever. They do show everything, but you can wear crisp tee shirts that cover a bit and be fine. They look nice.

Good yoga pants seem to have a cut that flatters well. I tend to stick with dark black or grey. Also the type of underwear you chose can make or break the yoga pant. Good yoga pants have enough stretch in them that they will retain their shape well, they don't end up looking ugly by the end of the day like some sweatpants.

I tend to wear a longer shirt or jacket and always check the rear view before leaving the house.

For fall/winter, I love my Juicy Couture velour sweatsuit. I used to really tease my sis (who worked for Nieman's in that department) about them and the expense. But, dh surprised me with one a few Christmas' ago (my sis helped him find them on sale and w/her discount) ~ and I must say, I have warned them both that I may never wear anything else again!!!:lol: Really, they are the MOST comfortable thing I have ever put on my legs!!!:D

I have the plain jane brown (w/no back pockets or embellishments) but I do really enjoy them. I also love that I can throw the jacket on with a t-shirt and pair of jeans. A lot of places have them now and I've thought about looking for some at Target/Old Navy in a different color. You can also look at ebay. Oh, but be sure if you get a juicy to go one size larger for the jacket - my sis told me (actually my dh) this and I'm really glad she did.

OH, and I LOVE consigment stores. {Actually, dh had been "prompting" me to buy some new clothes - surely couldn't be b/c I've had the same stuff for 10+ years!} But I was shocked at the prices of clothes in the regular stores! I have found some really great deals on cute clothes and I don't like to spend $, so I'm talking $10 or less for an entire outfit.

I like a really broken in pair of cords in the cooler weather, and spend lots of days in jeans. A lightweight turtleneck sweater seems easy to me and feels nicer than tees. I try not to wear yoga pants except around the house or for a walk, but boy did they change my life. A good pair of yoga pants is unbeatable. I really like a fold-over waist, and thicker denser fabric to not show every detail. And yep, DH appreciates them too. ;) In the summer, I mostly wear skirts. I have a fold-over waist lightweight knit skirt that is much like yoga pants in skirt form. I can even pull it on while holding baby. A good knit fabric will drape well and flatter, yet be super comfy.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm a similar bra size (right between a 36 and a 38) and hate underwires, but I've found JC Penny has a bra (Ambrielle, I believe) that gives you a bit of shape and support (molded cup) without an underwire. So nice and comfy. Just thought I'd pipe up, because I know what a pain it is to go bra shopping as an A cup.

I'm jumping in here on this side topic because this week, I tried on 40 different bras (literally, I counted the discard pile). Why is it so hard to find a comfy bra that gives adequate support?

I'm jumping in here on this side topic because this week, I tried on 40 different bras (literally, I counted the discard pile). Why is it so hard to find a comfy bra that gives adequate support?

I used to have problems finding bras also. I visited one of those websites that tells you how to measure yourself correctly for a bra and helps you determine your size. I went to the store with the results and got the perfect fit bra on the first try. I ended up coming home with a cart load of Hanes bras from Target. They fit great! I'm very well supported and actually look quite well lifted and comfortable at the same time.