Menu

Okay peeps, I've purchased the book and plan on reading it

I'm blaming this all on you. I've never wanted to read this book or any other books by this author. I though they would be dull, hard to read and boring. The more you people raved about this book, and the others like it the more I listened.

I became intrigued. How could it be that bad if so many people I know and respect enjoy this book - some many times. I found there was a movie made. I watched the movie with dd. I enjoyed the movie a great deal.

So at Borders today I did pick up one of my regular light reading romance novels and this book I've been heard so much about during my time on the forums.

Do you want to know what it is?

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin.

Ok, now I need to do the same thing. Haven't read any Austen but love the movie for Sense and Sensibility. Even ds2 enjoys watching it with me. I keep saying I'm going to read an Austen book but I just haven't yet.

I think my brain can only manage the stuff your average 12yo ds likes. I'm currently on an Artemis Fowl kick. :tongue_smilie:

Cinder

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I'm blaming this all on you. I've never wanted to read this book or any other books by this author. I though they would be dull, hard to read and boring. The more you people raved about this book, and the others like it the more I listened.

I became intrigued. How could it be that bad if so many people I know and respect enjoy this book - some many times. I found there was a movie made. I watched the movie with dd. I enjoyed the movie a great deal.

So at Borders today I did pick up one of my regular light reading romance novels and this book I've been heard so much about during my time on the forums.

It is my favorite of all Jane Austin's books.

Can't blame me...it is well known in these circles that I can't stand Austen....blech!

But...to each his own...enjoy!

I just have to give a plug for the audio versions of Jane Austen books, especially as read by Nadia May. LOVE them!! She really makes the satire and eccentric characters come to life.

Did you get this version at your library? I love audiobooks and thought that would be the way to go for my first JA book, but the versions my library has are read by Flo Gibson and I just can't stand her voice.

Cinder

:D My dh read the zombie one and is constantly trying to entice me to read it.:lol: Some of it does sound a bit funny, but I just can't go there.

I slogged my way through Pride and Prejudice. I read Sense and Sensibility and like it better, but I still can not bring myself to read another Austen work...unless it involves zombies or sea monsters and I'm holding out on those.

This is more my speed with Austen. J

Okay, I would have read it with you. I own the book. I haven't read it. I need a BIG break from the reality known as "My Life" (the move, change of jobs, new house, 17 month old, blah, blah, blah). But darn move - I can't find the book! Argh.

Dare I admit this? I got to page 6 and put it down. I was not captured by the first chapter to the point that I couldn't put it down. I read a few pages, played with my new dishes a bit and went to bed. I will try to finish it, but unless it picks up just a bit I may have to ask for something else for my birthday.

You can download Kindle for PC and read it on your computer for free, or on your phone if you have a smart phone. Austen's books are now in the public domain.

:)

Persuasion is my fav.

I agree with Mrs. M that it is really important to recall that she is usually being ironic and a bit biting. Her letters are pretty funny too. :lol: Just imagine eye rolling and much of it being said from behind your friend's hand.

Edited by Sis

Dare I admit this? I got to page 6 and put it down. I was not captured by the first chapter to the point that I couldn't put it down. I read a few pages, played with my new dishes a bit and went to bed. I will try to finish it, but unless it picks up just a bit I may have to ask for something else for my birthday.

I forced myself through it because I was on bed rest with twins. I remember telling dh all excited, "It's page 170 and something finally happened!!" And I never made it through Persuasion, but I love P & P. I don't get why. :confused:

I forced myself through it because I was on bed rest with twins. I remember telling dh all excited, "It's page 170 and something finally happened!!" And I never made it through Persuasion, but I love P & P. I don't get why. :confused:

*gasp*

I totally have a crush on Wentworth.

I really identified the characters in Persuasion with people I know. :lol: You want the heroine to tell them "SHUT IT!!!" but YOU have never told similarly annoying people to "SHUT IT" so you know the heroine will not.

Edited by Sis

*gasp*

I totally have a crush on Wentworth.

I really identified the characters in Persuasion with people I know. :lol: You want the heroine to tell them "SHUT IT!!!" but YOU have never told similarly annoying people to "SHUT IT" so you know the heroine will not.

I agree. In fact, when I took the "which Austen character are you" facebook quiz, I purposely chose answers that would make me be Mrs. Wentworth.

One thing you must remember about Austen? She is largely being ironic. Read it in more of a smart-a$$ tone, maybe that will help?

Good advice. :) I think Persuasion is the most mature story. I didn't like it when I first read Austen as a teenager, but I like it now. I love the wit in Pride and Prejudice, the passionate feelings in Sense and Sensibility, and the tension in Persuasion. Mansfield Park, Emma, and Northanger Abbey (didn't like the heroine) are not in my top three.

I think if you watch The Jane Austen Book Club you might get in the mood to read them. :)

Good advice. :) I think Persuasion is the most mature story. I didn't like it when I first read Austen as a teenager, but I like it now. I love the wit in Pride and Prejudice, the passionate feelings in Sense and Sensibility, and the tension in Persuasion. Mansfield Park, Emma, and Northanger Abbey (didn't like the heroine) are not in my top three.

I think if you watch The Jane Austen Book Club you might get in the mood to read them. :)

Just think of the heroine as a gothic horror fangirl. Suppose a twilight fangirl suddenly has a boyfriend who doesn't care for sunlight, suffers from ennui (or knows what it means) and is very pale. I am sure she would be suspicious. I do find the book a bit embarassing. I don't like it when someone is so silly they are embarassing.

I rather like Tilney too.

I find Mansfield Park to be the MOST biting of her books, I do like that one. :lol: I like Emma, I think it is funny.

Edited by Sis

I've watched all the movies and am in the middle P and P and Zombies. I've already listened to S and S and Sea Monsters (fave).

A good portion S and S and Sea Monsters is the original text and I do love the phrasing and Austen's lovely vocabulary. I'm going to download the straight versions asap. I don't have much time for actually sitting and reading so it's audio book or nothing these days.

Too bad I don't have an infant to nurse! I got so much reading done in those days. And, happily, none of my children have permanent book dents in their skulls. (Please tell me I'm not the only one that ever dropped a book on a poor nursing infant.)