Menu

Is your glass "half empty or half full"?

Would you say you are a positive person or not so much? Are your ideas full of positive thoughts or negative ones? Really though, do you look at the glass as half empty or half full?

My mom just left my house after visiting for a week. I don't like her being around my children for an extended period of time because her GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF EMPTY! It drives me absolutely bonkers to the point that I can not deal with it. I have never met another person in my life that has more negative things to say about anything at all. Not one word that comes out of her mouth is positive.

I, on the other hand, after growing up with this, always to look at EVERYTHING as the glass is half full.

I have noticed the last two days that my DD8 has had nothing nice to say AT ALL and I am ready to go through the roof! Of course, its because of the negativity that my mom's visit has brought. I am seriously considering not letting her around my DD8 since she is so affected by this. I am so glad she lives 700 miles away!

My biggest reason for even still letting my mother around any of my children is I feel that, if I don't, I am cheating them in some way. My DH's parents have both passed on and my dad is just in his own little world. My DD8 has never even spoken to my dad until just this past week when she called him to thank him for the very first birthday gift he has ever given any of my children. So, she is the only grandparent that is in my children's lives.

I can't count how many times I have wished that I had a "normal" mom. Here is an example of how her glass is always half empty:

Mom: OMG! You will not believe this, but I was almost KILLED on the way back to your house!

Me: Umm..really? How so?

Mom: A deer crossed in the front of my car and I had to slam on my breaks and the car swerved! If you hit a deer, you DIE INSTANTLY! Don't you read the papers and watch the news???

Me: Really Mom?

Mine is half-full :)

I know how you feel though, my mom is like that as well. It is very hard to be around her because of that. Unfortunately, it seems that my 7yo daughter has inherited her disposition. She doesn't have contacts with really negative people (my parents live in another country), but her glass is bordering on empty. I am working on teaching her to see the bright side of things, but it is hard work for her. She can do it now, but it is a conscious effort. I just cannot imagine how hard it must be for her to live in negativity all the time :( Her brother on the other hand is as optimistic as they come.

I'm a very practical person, so we always joke that I see the glass as just too big. :D

Overall, though, I look on the brigth side. I went though a lot of potential suitors to find a man who is the same. I have a lot of trouble spending time with people who only see the negative side of things or, more importantly, want to dwell on them long after the fact.

I have been accused more than once of being a real Pollyanna. I do get down about things but bounce back quickly, and I tend to see the glass as nearly full. :D I try to tone down my optimism because I have found that it actually annoys people. I have a close friend and a sister who are at the extreme limit of the glass-half-empty end, so I suppose i balance them out.

I don't dwell on it. If the glass is half empty, how can I get it full? :001_smile: That's generally my take. I don't focus on what's missing, but how to take care of what's missing/lacking, etc....

But I always see the negative in things. I zero in on the problem with a situation, or instantly, in my mind, critique it. But on the outside I think I tend to seem positive.

I know lots of people who are half-empty types, but they relish in it. They complain constantly and are never happy. That is very annoying, but it can also be annoying when people are overly confident or seem up all the time, no matter what. Sometimes something just stinks, and you don't want to find the positive in it.

I exchanged my glass for smaller one so now it is the perfect size to hold the liquid. :D

Yeah, I'm thinking that line of thought makes me a half-full kind of person. Don't get me wrong, I'm an emotional person. I mean really, really emotional, but I generally see things in a good light and have a positive outlook.

I think that is why I really struggle in spending time with my mil. Her glass is ginornmous and she's sees it as only have a few drops. It's exhausting to be around that!

I've always been accused of being a glass half empty person, but I have a weird streak of optimism those people appear to be unaware of. I'm probably a "It's a glass. It has liquid in it. Isn't that obvious?" kind of person and that annoys the "those people" I just mentioned. I don't talk to them much... ;)

Rosie

Guest janainaz

I grew up with the half-empty mother (in every way :glare:) and I used to be very negative. When things were good, I had to hold on tight, and wait for the other shoe to drop. It got really tiring! My husband has always been positive and it actually used to bug me. I felt that his perception was not based on reality. But at some point about 5 years ago, I had my life ripped out from under me and I learned to appreciate the small stuff. I really think negativity comes from a sense of entitlement and ungratefulness. Somehow, when I started to see all I had, I realized that things really were not as bad as I was making it. From day-to-day, being positive really is a choice and I really believe it has an impact on what happens next in your life.

Depends on the day...topic...heat index...how much sleep I've had. :lol: I'm not kidding.

If I'm stuck out in the heat, feeling miserable -- my glass is definitely half-empty.

Can I say I "lean" towards the glass is half full, but sometimes hormones and physical issues push me into the glass is half empty?

I've always been accused of being a glass half empty person, but I have a weird streak of optimism those people appear to be unaware of. I'm probably a "It's a glass. It has liquid in it. Isn't that obvious?" kind of person and that annoys the "those people" I just mentioned. I don't talk to them much... ;)

Rosie

Yes! This is me. I'm a realist. It doesn't make me feel emotionally bad to mention that the glass is half empty. Neither does it make me feel emotionally good to mention that the glass is half full. The liquid level in the glass is simply what it is. This is often perceived by others as negativity but I'm not sure why.

Though the quote by the op's mother just makes me laugh. I don't really see it as being negative but rather an exaggeration. LOL.

Edited by Daisy

My cup is definitely half full, and often over-flowing! I can find a positive spin, something to appreciate, for just about anything. Certainly for anything that occurs in my own life. (Some topics in general are more difficult to be positive about.) I believe the Universe is conspiring for my good -- always. :D

I don't like to look at it as being half-empty.

I like to consider myself more as a realist.

I don't get excited over things until they are happening.

Just how I am. It helps me appreciate life more, in a strange way.

ETA: I'm also one of those people who tells someone when something isn't possible. I sound like a downer, but really, I'm trying to look after them in my own way. My brain is wired to think that getting excited and then being let down is a lot worse than just not believing until it happens. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to let you down.

Not saying I don't have my optimistic days, they're just few and far between.

Edited by BeatleMania

My glass used to be half-full, then life happened. I've been through some funky experiences that left me looking at the glass half-empty. For me, it's better that way, I don't get disappointed when I find it half-full, it's more of a surprise.

However, I do not look at other peoples' glasses. I tend to be optimistic about other people.

I don't like to look at it as being half-empty.

I like to consider myself more as a realist.

I don't get excited over things until they are happening.

Just how I am. It helps me appreciate life more, in a strange way.

ETA: I'm also one of those people who tells someone when something isn't possible. I sound like a downer, but really, I'm trying to look after them in my own way. My brain is wired to think that getting excited and then being let down is a lot worse than just not believing until it happens. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to let you down.

Not saying I don't have my optimistic days, they're just few and far between.

We're twins! :)

Mom: OMG! You will not believe this, but I was almost KILLED on the way back to your house!

Me: Umm..really? How so?

Mom: A deer crossed in the front of my car and I had to slam on my breaks and the car swerved! If you hit a deer, you DIE INSTANTLY! Don't you read the papers and watch the news???

Me: Really Mom?

Wow. According to that logic, my MIL would be dead. So would dh's good friend.

Sorry you have to deal with that. :grouphug:

I"m cynical but no a half empty person. I've seen some of the truly evil things human beings do to other human beings. Because of that I have an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude.

But I've known some real life heroes too. So I suppose the glass is half full and will actuall fill up if you prove to me it can be.