Menu

What did you use for K that you loved?

mom2denj

I used Calvert's preK and K for reading and fun stuff for my middle child. It was lots of fun playing time! The reading instruction was ok.

For the youngest student, I used OPGTR and K12. Great reading program, but little fun so we added MFW K. That was wonderful :)

I would say go with something high interest and easy on you as well. THat is, for everything but phonics and reading. There, find the best. It's so important.

I always longed for Abeka's phonics and spelling stuff but couldn't make sense of it as a homeschool teacher so we went with SWB's suggestions. Maybe one day I'll take a longer peek at Abeka because I've heard wonderful things about it for reading instruction.

I needed, cut this paper, do this activity for other fun things though, so went with MFW K focus. It served us well and did a good job reinforcing the learning in OPGTR with some easier worksheets and reader stuff. My dd loved it all!

We had a great time.

For the little one, I'm hoping to do some intensive phonics stuff probably using OPGTR and Phonics Pathways and for all else, something like BFIAR, AO or SL.

Something very book intensive. The hands on was fun, but I wants lots of oral lit going on this time. This one's my talker, lol.

Have a great time. These years fly!

Edited by momee

We used the tail end of Saxon K and started Saxon 1, and loved it. I changed the "meeting book" to a big poster on the wall (calendar) with some sentence strips for the patterns (punched a hole in several sstrips, hung on a ring, like a long skinny book, and hung it on a hook next to the calendar). We loved the manipulatives, playing "store," and other activities.

I also did a phenomenal bible program written by a teacher friend of mine, called "Names of God." I really wish she'd publish it in CD form.

We loved PP and Montessori object games, and the Command game, and homemade books, too.

The thing I loved most for K was taking my dd to the zoo twice a week for a long lunch. My ds was taking CC classes and not old enough to drive himself so we dropped him off and went to the zoo. Spending that much time there really helped my dd learn to really pay attention to things. She developed personal knowledge not just of lions and tigers and habitats but became able to identify each individual gorilla. We got to know the zookeepers, and she was often invited to help with animal enrichments. K was a terrific year.

We used MUS and ETC and loved both of them. My son liked all the aspects of MUS (he did both Primer and Alpha in one year), from the video to the manipulative blocks. Being able to see how the numbers "fit" together really helped him understand adding and subtracting.

He liked Explode the Code because he thought the sentences were silly. The directions were simple and he could open the book and do the work on his own by the middle of the year.

Games were a big hit here, too. We played Uno, war, Bananagrams, Zingo, Zoologic, Gobblit, and Equate (without the *advanced* tiles). One of his favorite games was Math Bingo, an app for iphone; it really helped strengthen his adding and subtracting skills - and it was a great distraction for him so that his sister and I could get through Grammar without any interruptions. :D

Guest Cindie2dds

We used Oak Meadow K last year. We loved it. I am really looking forward to using it again with my youngest next year! I rushed through it with my oldest because we started so late after a few major flops. I would highly recommend it for anyone with an artsy child or mom! :D

Phonics Pathways, Explode the Code, lots of ourdoor nature time, reading books such as JAmes Herriot's Treasury for Children, Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh

Also, I was using Artistic Pursuits at some point and really liked it, but that may have been 1st grade. I think it would be great for K, though.

Singapore Math:

We used Essentials A and Earlybird B; I *highly* recommend Essentials over Earlybird.

Wordly Wise 3000 K:

Yes, you must buy the teacher's kit and yes it is expensive, but my DD *loved* this program! It teaches oral vocabulary that is needed for higher level content area comprehension in a fun way. DD calls it "story time" and begs for it.

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and Bob books!! I even caught my younger dd "teaching" her American Girl doll using the magnetic board and tile letters. She doesn't read the Bob books anymore but wanted to keep them because they were "special".

Song School Latin

Math-U-See (HE LOVES THIS)

Plaid Phonics (thanks Judo mom! Its a HUGE hit :001_smile:)

Explode the Code

LOTS of nature walks and crafts

Science experiment kits for his age (he is VERY hands on, but what 5 year old boy isnt?)

A phonics game I have called Sunken Treasure

MAGIC SCHOOL HOUSE books and tv shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much everyone!! You all have given me lots to research. There is so much out there. I wish that I could have it all right in front of me to look at thoroughly. I went to the HS convention in Orlando, but it was,well, OVERWHELMING!!! I am going to try to look at as many online samples as I can. I have got until next fall, so I've got time. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Kristen