Your School Name

kahlanne

Your School Name  

1. 1. Your School Name

• Love it and wouldn't change it
    • Hate it and would change in a heartbeat
    • Just OK but don't want to change
    • Just OK and want to change

For those that have a school name, what is it? Why did you choose it? Would you change it if you could?

Mine is Jubilee Learning Center. We chose it many years ago when I honestly thought I would give up on homeschooling. :001_huh: Jubilee has special meaning to our family. Learning Center is comes from our "uncreative" side. I would love to keep Jubilee in the name but would consider changing the Learning Center part but to what??? Again with the creative roadblock.

I have two school names - One that is unofficial that I often use - The Magic School House. The other name I came up with to put on ds's transcripts so it is the official school name. I happen to have a superb maiden name that I use often although my married name is fine. My maiden name is .... [edited for privacy ;) ] now how cool is that? So our official name is The .... Classical Academy or .... Classical Home School depending on what kind of name I need. It is an awesome name. I'd never change it. :D

Jubilee School? I don't like academies. It sounds pretentious, something particularly ironic because every homeschool seems to be an academy. Jubilee Gymnasium? College of Jubilee? Jubilee Center?

We are Draiocht Gealach Latin School on papers, draiocht being a play on our last name that can mean magic or Druid, and gealach simply indicating a dedication to the moon. But casually I use "Institute for the Incurably Curious" taking our cue, yeah, from X-Men. I like that last better but it just doesn't ring right when we need to seem respectable. Curious was the perfect word, though. The Latin curiosus means "careful, diligent; inquiring eagerly, meddlesome," which we either are or strive to be. I'll let you decide which is which. But it also means eccentric in English and, well. Perfect.

When we started homeschooling we had to name our school. At that time I had two children, their names are Taylor and Christian.

So, easy name: Taylor Christian Academy

I was worried that my youngest would feel left out but it turns out my kids don't even know the school is named! It is only for the state's records.

Dawn

Lakeview Christian Academy

Lakeview-there is a lake in our subdivsion

Christian-our neighboohood is actually Christian Lake, but the name reflects the Bible I am teaching dd

Academy-it just sounded good:D

I wasn't sure I wanted to name our hs but decided that it would be good for dd to be able to tell people the name of her school when they asked where she went.

I didn't vote because we don't really have a school name anymore. When my older kids were younger we thought of Evergreen Elementary, because we had evergreens in our yard. We thought it would be fun when people would ask where they went to school we could really make them wonder when we'd say, "Evergreen Elementary. Ya know....over on Maple Street." (Maple Street was the street we lived on). Then they could wonder why they couldn't remember an elementary school on that street. :lol:

My youngest now would probably think it's neat to have a name for our school. In fact, we could call it the same thing because we have evergreens here too. We've really never needed to have a name for our homeschool (if we did it would be just for fun), I don't think there was ever a time when we needed to use it.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
For those that have a school name, what is it? Why did you choose it? Would you change it if you could?

Our school name is Alte Veste Academy (obviously :lol:). I love it and wouldn't change it. (I don't care if Academy is supposed to be saved for high school; that's the name that is going to ultimately be on the kids' high school transcript so it works for us long-term.)

Alte Veste was a battle site of the 30 Years War and is now a natural area on a big hill in Furth, Germany. DS7, DD and I were all born in Germany (courtesy of the U.S. Army). I attended DoD schools growing up and in the 6th grade in Furth, I had the greatest teacher of my entire education. He took us on regular field trips to Alte Veste, where we would spend the entire day on the hill, enjoying nature and doing our schoolwork in the fresh air. We each picked a tree at the beginning of the year and for a period of time every trip, we were left alone with our tree and our thoughts. We wrote poetry and made scientific observations and measurements of the tree, seasons, general natural phenomena, etc. It was the most incredible and liberating experience of my education and a giant inspiration for my homeschooling. I find it hard to believe that 1% of kids in a school setting would be lucky enough to have an experience like this 26 years later. Sad. Lucky for me, I can replicate that in my own home, not just for one year but every year they are home with me.

Ours is Epiphany Prep School... I like it but if I came up with something better I would change it. Lately with 2 pre-teen girls and two more behind them, I'm thinking it should be Epiphany Prep School for the Hormonally Insane :D

:lol::lol:

I voted that I love ours. I do. Ours is Litten Lamm Academy. Litten Lamm is Swedish for little lambs. Our school is about raising our little lambs to love the Lord. My husband (and therefore my kiddos) is Norwegian/Swedish and proud to be. :) My blog is Viking Press.

Unlike most, I plan on changing our school name down the line. This name is only for primary/grammar/preschool. I couldn't decide on a good name a few years ago, hence the more childish one. I liked the idea in the other thread about using the meaning of your last name. Ours means "grove", so we may turn into some kind of flowering field in a few years. :tongue_smilie:

But for now, I like ours.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I don't like academies. It sounds pretentious, something particularly ironic because every homeschool seems to be an academy.

I have to say I am the least pretentious person out there but I can see how it sounds pretentious, especially if you pronounce it with a very nasal tone. :lol:

Apollos Academy

I like it (although it gets mildly aggravating that people think it's Apollo's Academy, but what are you gonna do? :tongue_smilie: ).

It comes from Acts 18:18-28. I thought that Apollos' journey of learning and teaching the Scriptures sounded very classical (plus he's named after Apollo), so we decided to name our school after him.

Sunset Christian Homeschool

I asked my daughter to design a logo for our school and she drew a really pretty sunset with a cross.

I didn't want 'academy' because I think it sounds pretentious, too - so we just call it 'homeschool'...which is what it is.

We're Viking Academy. I'm part Norwegian and my husband is part Swedish :lol:

We seriously need a "like" button here.

Yes, I'm a Facebook junkie.

Concordia Classical Academy.

Concordia b/c we are Lutheran (Latin title of the Book of Concord, which sets out Lutherans doctrine; being Lutheran means you consider the BoC to be a correct explanation of Scripture). Classical is pretty self-explanatory :tongue_smilie:, and Academy b/c it sounds nicely pretentious :lol:.

Alte Veste was a battle site of the 30 Years War and is now a natural area on a big hill in Furth, Germany. .

I know where that is! Our hs group took a field trip there last year.

Our hs is called Bent Grass Preparatory School, but we call it Bent Grass Prep. Our last name means "bent grass meadow" and I thought it would be cool to use the meaning. I didn't want to use the word meadow though because it sounds too cutesy IMO, so we went with Bent Grass Prep. I would not change it. BTW, I also don't like Academy. It's fine for high school (I actually went to an all girls school, Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart near Chicago), but I don't like it for lower grades.

We use our last name and for privacy reasons, I am leaving it out...but it's P....... Prep. Love it. My daughter's friends this last year would tell her the public schools they were going to and I told her she was going to school at P....... Prep! She took great ownership and pride. Gotta love that! :001_smile:

However, can you use Prep when it's time to be all official with the state? Just thought I would ask. Thanks ladies! You all rock!

Ours is "On the Rock Christian Academy." A little play on words...we live in a quarry!:001_smile: and our school is founded on the Rock, both spiritually and physically.:001_smile:

Faithe

ETA" We did use "Little School on the Quarry." when my older girls were little and in their Laura and Mary stage. I still use that name for my pre-schoolers- elementary kiddoes. The Academy begins in 7th grade...

Edited by Mommyfaithe

Ours is Couchtop College because I despaired of ever getting dd down off the back of the couch to study anything. I love it, but I probably wouldn't use it on official paperwork :D Or maybe I would for laughs. Dh has his parcels from Amazon delivered to Richard Pilchard :001_huh::lol: We're just that kind of family.

Rosie

Dh--Napoleon's School of Wargames & Strategy. Or something like that. I never get it right.

Me--Curiosity Academy of Fine Thinking. I don't have the guts to *really* name it that, but I love, love, love it.

Compromise: Logos Something or Other, depending on the day. I love the Greek word & its layers of meaning; I don't love having the same name as somebody else. Well. I guess that comes from having a name like "Aubrey"--I still have the kindergarten response: Nuh-uh. That's MY name! :lol:

Ours is Morgan Classical Prep... obviously! :lol:

Morgan is the middle name of both my daughter and my grandmother. Education was very important to my grandmother and she was in school until she passed away, plus I was *very* close to her and spent a lot every weekend with her as a child.

Classical... well, duh. :D

Prep because I wanted something that would work all the way through, and I am preparing my daughter for her life as an adult, whether that is in college or the workforce.

Rivendell Classical Academy

mainly because we are huge LOTR fans and it sounded nice :)

I like this. A lot. :)

Mine is Seedling Academy. The kids think it is the best thing ever. We've even made signs to hang up so everyone knows our school name. I imagine the novelty will wear off when they are no longer seedlings. :tongue_smilie:

Wakefield Academy

Wakefield for a street that was plotted but never developed through the yard at our old house.

Academy because I thought it would look good on a diploma and transcript. Plus it fit in with his later obsession with all things Star Trek.

He asked one year to change to Starfleet Academy. I'm a nerd, but I still want him to be taken seriously on college applications. I vetoed it.

We've grown into the name. Someday I think I'll have a house and name it Wakefield Manor in honor of our time of schooling.

Ours is Epiphany Prep School... I like it but if I came up with something better I would change it. Lately with 2 pre-teen girls and two more behind them, I'm thinking it should be Epiphany Prep School for the Hormonally Insane :D

heh, I don't need a name, but wouild have great fun in making one up.

What the Hell was Mama Thinking Academy on my worst day, and Joyous Academy on my best days.

:smilielol5:

Our current name is Tall Oaks Academy (where little acorns reach for the sun), because that's what characterizes our property, but I don't love it. Meh. Thankfully, I don't need one for anything other than the occasional discount card!

Our school is Fawkes Academy, it's been that for about 3 years now but we had some others early on.

Originally we were Evanlu Academy. I took the first two letters of each child's first name in birth order, slapped them together and we had a name. The kids hated it.

Next dh came up with Voyager Academy because the kids wanted something about exploration and we're big StarTrek fans. Then we found out there is a private school with that name in NC, so we switched to Voyager Learning Center and again the kids hated it.

After asking them again for input they wanted something to do with a Phoenix (they love the mythical creatures) and thought of using Fawkes from Harry Potter as a mascot. We vetoed using the HP character because of copyright (we wanted to get t-shirts and things), but used the character's name. Academy was what we felt sounded best with it. Fawkes School just doesn't have as good a ring to it and my oldest said "Learning Center" sounds like a pre-school to him.

They all love the name and love telling people they go there.

Our school name is SMILE (School of Mathematical Intellectuality and Linguistic Excellence).

That what we are trying to emphasize in our studies. We also love science. I think we are going to keep this name.

We haven't designed the logo for our homeschool. I have an idea for a logo, but want to see what my kids will come with in few years.