Menu

quest for excellent fudge

I want to make amazing fudge this Christmas. Mine is okay. I use the sweetened condensed milk/chocolate chips melted in the microwave kind. Dd loves it. Dh does not. He wants fudge that has crunchy sugar crystals and marshmallow in it. I've never had success with this. What is the secret? How do I make outrageous fudge?

Also, I really want to make maple nut fudge that has the consistency like my dh likes. Anyone have recipes or ideas or tips for success??

Not to side track, but for something amazing and fudge-like, try this recipe for chocolate divinity.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/candydiv/chocolate-divinity.html

I have had excellent success with the chocolate fudge recipe on the Kraft marshmellow creme jar - I use giardhelli chocolate chips instead of cheap ones, real vanilla, and (always) real butter. Creamy with sugar crystals. Yum!

Edited by AK_Mom4
I can't spell without more coffee

This is a timely thread for me. Dss is a huge fudge fan, and was sorely disappointed with the fudge we found last week on vacation. Mind you, I WARNED the child that 'perhaps the put-put golf place is not the best location to purchase fudge', but noooo, he really wanted to try it. :D

So I told him we could make some at home. I have a 'good' recipe, but would love to try a 'great' one. So I'm :bigear:.

Could y'all try out every fudge recipe you can find and post your results around Thanksgiving? Is that asking too much?

I would like make fudge for Christmas, but don't want to think about it till November, so that will give y'all plenty of time to figure out which recipes are the best.

Thanks in advance. :leaving:

If you are willing to put a bit of effort into a great fudge, try this:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/chocolatefudge.html

This recipe and method is the best I have tried. It melts in your mouth.

I do something similar with milk and sugar and cocoa. It is all in the temp. It moves to 200 degrees quickly, but then s.l.o.w.l.y finishes to soft ball. I have ruined more than one batch b/c of this. One year, I essentially made hot fudge topping. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, this is the only fudge I will eat. I cannot stand the stuff in candy stores. Of course, all my friends in LI thought I was nuts. :D

We use The Idiot's Guide book (the one about Candy Making).

You need to get a candy thermometer and if you want vanilla fudge that looks white you need clear vanilla extract (ask me how I know :001_smile:).

Its a really nice cookbook. We have made several fudges with great success.

We use The Idiot's Guide book (the one about Candy Making).

You need to get a candy thermometer and if you want vanilla fudge that looks white you need clear vanilla extract (ask me how I know :001_smile:).

Its a really nice cookbook. We have made several fudges with great success.

I couldn't locate this on Amazon. Could you be more specific about the title or provide an ISBN #?

Thanks!

I used this recipe last christmas and EVERY time it came out perfectly. Do not use butter substitutes...only the real thing...

(I lined my pan with greased aluminum foil to make removal easier)

1 (1 lb.) box confectioners' sugar

1/2 c. cocoa

1/4 c. milk

1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cut in chunks

1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional

1 tsp. vanilla flavoring

In medium microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except nuts and vanilla flavoring. Microwave on HIGH three minutes, stirring after each minute. (TIP: Use a wooden spoon, you don't have to remove it from the bowl during microwaving.)Stir by hand until mixture is well mixed. Add nuts and flavoring. Stir by hand until mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into a buttered, 8-inch square pan. (TIP: Use the wrapper from the stick of butter to grease the pan. There should be just enough butter left on the paper to do the trick.)

Cool until firm. (TIP: Speed up cooling by placing pan in refrigerator 30 minutes.) Cut into 16 squares.

I used this recipe last christmas and EVERY time it came out perfectly. Do not use butter substitutes...only the real thing...

(I lined my pan with greased aluminum foil to make removal easier)

1 (1 lb.) box confectioners' sugar

1/2 c. cocoa

1/4 c. milk

1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, cut in chunks

1/2 c. chopped nuts, optional

1 tsp. vanilla flavoring

In medium microwave-safe mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except nuts and vanilla flavoring. Microwave on HIGH three minutes, stirring after each minute. (TIP: Use a wooden spoon, you don't have to remove it from the bowl during microwaving.)Stir by hand until mixture is well mixed. Add nuts and flavoring. Stir by hand until mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour into a buttered, 8-inch square pan. (TIP: Use the wrapper from the stick of butter to grease the pan. There should be just enough butter left on the paper to do the trick.)

Cool until firm. (TIP: Speed up cooling by placing pan in refrigerator 30 minutes.) Cut into 16 squares.

This looks so easy, Zee could do it by himself!

So which is better; this recipe, or the marshmallow fluff one that's been recommended several times in this thread?

I have just skimmed the replies, but the BEST hands down fudge is the Hersheys cocoa recipe, right on the can - been around forever. Be sure to use CONDENSED milk and lots of butter. No, it does not have marshmallow, but everytime I have made this, it gets raves. Its good in coffee too...

I read in Cook's Magazine once upon a time that the key to both brownies and fudge was to add nuts. There is something about how they "lift" the structure of the brownie/fudge that transforms it from bleh to yummy.

I have to admit: it works.

asta

Well, the Hershey's was not quite right. It is too hard. I must have stirred it too much. :confused: The flavor is good, but it is very hard.

I've also read that nuts are important. Something about the oil in the walnuts brings out the flavor better.

I'm going to market today to get the Marshmallow cream! Next batch coming up!!!

Anyone have a maple nut recipe?

Here's a twist on chocolate marshmallow fluff fudge. It really does taste like those yummy frozen treats. I've made it several times and it's a HUGE hit, especially with those who prefer something other than chocolate:

Orange Creamsicle Fudge

7 oz marshmallow creme

12 ounces white chips (1 bag)

1 cup sugar

2/3 cup heavy cream

12 tablespoons butter (salted)

3 teaspoons orange extract (I sometimes add more--- maybe 4 t.)

Some drops of red and yellow food color

Line a 9 inch square pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.

Place marshmallow crème and white chips in a large mixing bowl.

Combine sugar, cream and butter in saucepan. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring once or twice, until mixture reaches 235 degrees F. Pour hot cream mixture into mixing bowl with chips and marshmallow crème. Beat a few times with a wooden spoon. Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside. Stir orange extract and orange food coloring into mixture which remains in bowl.

Pour orange mixture into prepared pan. Pour white mixture on top. Drag a knife through both to make swirls. Let cool to room temperature (about 40 minutes) then chill for one hour or until set. Lift fudge from pan using foil handles and using a large knife, score into squares.

With the Hersheys recipe, two key parts- to test whether you have cooked it long enough, you drop a bit of it in a bowl with cold water and try and shape it with your fingers. If it holds a bit of a shape, stop cooking immediately! Only let it bubble a few minutes between testing the shape. Secondly, when you put your pot in a sink filled with cold water and add the butter and vanilla, start beating it with a spoon. And again, when it starts to BEGIN to hold a shape, immediately get it out and onto its platter to spread. It will then keep its shape pretty fast and cool. Timing is everything....

I have made it since I was a kid, our mom made it for us too. Love it!

SUCCESS!!!! I made outrageous fudge!! According to dh anyway.... It is the microwave version of the marshmallow cream fantasy fudge. It is over the top good!

Ma'am, I do believe you have violated a very important board rule here.

You see, if one raves about a recipe, one must actually POST the recipe. :D

Ma'am, I do believe you have violated a very important board rule here.

You see, if one raves about a recipe, one must actually POST the recipe. :D

It must be http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/fantasy-fudge-51833.aspx this one.

I searched for 'fudge' there, LOTS of recipes, mmmm :tongue_smilie:.

I always loved what my family calls 'five minute fudge'. I have the recipe downstairs, I will have to compare it to the Kraft recipe.

I couldn't find the family recipe last year so I used another one that got good reviews and it was gross, we threw it away.

Edited by kitten18