Menu

What smells do you just love?

Yes, weird question, but the news report about the 3rd grader in Colorado who was suspended for smelling a marker made me think of how much I LOVE the smell of permenant magic marker. In fact there's one in my cupboard that I use to label dc's things and I can't use it without taking a big sniff...I just love that smell.

I also love the smell of gasoline and will sniff my hands after filling up the tank.

I love the smell of new tires in the auto department of Sears.

Am I weird or what. If they made candles in any of the above scents, I'd probably choose them over the candied apple one currently in my kitchen:bigear:

The smell of a campfire is my favorite smell, followed closely by the smell of crisp autumn leaves. I like many natural scents, but not so much when they are copied by man. Pine trees smell wonderful. Pine Sol makes me ill. Scents that are used in candles and bath products which I can tolerate and sometimes enjoy are cinnamon, apples, vanilla (if it's mild), and green apple. Many scented items give me headaches or make me sneeze. I do like the smell of bleach, though, and a faint whiff of permanent marker is kinda nice.

I remember the old copy machines, or mimeograph machines from when I was in elementary. The pages were somewhat damp when freshly copied, and had a distinctive odor that was somehow comforting. :001_smile:

My all time favorite smell, though, would have to be Grandma's cornbread cooking. Mmmmmmm.

Usually it's the smells that bring back memories for me...

The smell of wet earth in the spring meant soccer season was on the way.

Dust and bubble gum meant softball season.

The combination of turkey, green beans, and au gratin potatoes meant running around Grandma's house at Thanksgiving in my hated dress and clunky shoes with my dozen or so cousins.

...and Old Spice? Let's just say it reminds me of a Tall Bald Guy...:D

From nature, nothing is better than freshly cut, damp grass; the smell of a campfire going strong, and cool rain hitting hot pavement.

My weird smells, jet and diesle fuel, melting tires at the race track, and the liquid at the nail shop (this is my favorite)

I also love the many different smells that come from a kitchen while someone is cooking.

I like all the smells you mentioned. I loooove new tire smell. New car smell. New carpet smell.

I loooove lemon. I think its a glade plug in lemon chamomile that I like.

I loooove gardenias, roses, and lots of other flowers.

I love lavender. I love my dh's cologne. I LOVE the way his shirt smells after he's worn it and its faint smell of cologne and 'man' scent. LOL

I love new born baby scent with that baby powder smell mixed in.

I love smelling my little ones hair after they have had washed it.

New books!! Yum. lol

Pumpkin muffins made with applesauce and cinnamon. mmmm

Walking in the forest full of pines, that's a nice scent.

Coffee!!!! Fresh and hot.. it gives me tinglies.

Freshly cleaned sheets on a newly made bed. heavenly

I could go on... but those are some of my favorites. Ohhh, Altoid peppermints. Actually ANY true peppermint scent.

Tracie

Guest Virginia Dawn

I like the rain too, and honeysuckle, roses, pine, autumn leaves, cedar, garlic, and fried onions.

Only natural please. Artificial scents give me a headache too. I almost made myself sick sniffing dozens of Yankee candles trying to find a scent I could tolerate. I found one: Cranberry chutney.

Coffee (even though I can no longer drink it :tongue_smilie:)

Fresh spring earth ready for planting (garden supply stores)

The lumber dept at Home Depot or other hardware spots

Bookstores (both old and new)

Babies hands and feet

Indian food stores (the smell of incense and spices all mixed together)

BBQ!

My cat's fur

Someone said Jet fuel (JP5)... Yes, smells like a trip!

I found one: Cranberry chutney. __________________

OHHHHHH My absolute favorite candle!! I almost posted that, too. So,add that to mine. That is my favorite candle. I see there is a new one. Garden herb or something. It's green. usually those smell pretty natural.

Tracie

I like the rain too, and honeysuckle, roses, pine, autumn leaves, cedar, garlic, and fried onions.

Only natural please. Artificial scents give me a headache too. I almost made myself sick sniffing dozens of Yankee candles trying to find a scent I could tolerate. I found one: Cranberry chutney.

Coffee, lilacs, fresh-cut grass, puppy breath! Forgot, old books - it reminds me of my grandma's attic.

except for the liacs, and puppy breath. I just love Vanilla!!!! My dh hates the smell of vanilla!! Says it reminds him of his p#mp days:lol:

Mary H

When I was little, I loved the smell of permanent marker too. My older brother caught me sniffing one once and had to tell me it was dangerous.

I love the smell of skunk. It's because it reminds me of going on road trips and brings back good memories. I grew up in CA and the only time I smelled skunk was on road trips. Now I live in TX and I sometimes get to smell skunk in my own backyard! Sometimes we can even smell it in the house if the windows are open, LOL. I joke that they should make skunk scented air freshener.

Susan in TX

When I was little, I loved the smell of permanent marker too. My older brother caught me sniffing one once and had to tell me it was dangerous.

I love the smell of skunk. It's because it reminds me of going on road trips and brings back good memories. I grew up in CA and the only time I smelled skunk was on road trips. Now I live in TX and I sometimes get to smell skunk in my own backyard! Sometimes we can even smell it in the house if the windows are open, LOL. I joke that they should make skunk scented air freshener.

Susan in TX

I'm gonna have to get me one of these markers. cool11.gif Skunks, huh. :001_huh: I liked the smell of new Barbies and the cases used to store their clothes.

Guest Virginia Dawn
OHHHHHH My absolute favorite candle!! I almost posted that, too. So,add that to mine. That is my favorite candle. I see there is a new one. Garden herb or something. It's green. usually those smell pretty natural.

Tracie

Isn't it delicious? Our preacher's wife makes a desert that tastes just like that smells. :001_smile:

Here's my top 10:

1. brand new, sticky, baby cottonwood tree leaves (BEST SMELL IN THE WORLD!)

2. a new box of Crayola crayons

3. rain

4. the air in the alpine

5. sheets and towels dried on a clothesline

6. sawdust and chainsaw exhaust combined (reminds me of my dad)

7. roasting turkey

8. oil skin canvas jacket (in the rain)

9. coconut scented sunscreen

10. popcorn

I used to be able to smell - and still remember how salty the air got the closer we drove to the ocean when I was a wee tot in S. Calif. But I have no other memories of odors, and have had anosmia (no sense of smell) for over the 40 years.

Did make changing all those diapers easier!:)

The ocean, all the smells on the boardwalk. aaahhhhhh

When I was a little girl I used to sit next to my daddy on the couch and loved to smell his "Dove soap" smelling arm. My parents used to laugh about how scent crazy I was . Ahhh I miss my daddy thats for sure.

Fresh cut grass.

Steaks, hot dogs, and hamburgers cooking on the grill.

Two weird smells I like are Lysol and cats. I would lock myself in the bathroom and spray a whole can of Lysol if I could get away with it. (just kidding) It reminds me of my grandma's house which was always CLEAN!

I also regularly scoop up our kitties, stick my face in their fur and breathe deeply the soft scent of warmth, blankets and purrs. That is the. best. stress. relief. ever.

Weird:

gasoline

exhaust from 4-wheeler and the like

ok, I kinda dig marker smell too

Not as weird:

my newborns heads (having a SERIOUS hankerin' for that right about now, just so ya know!)

light vanilla (strong stuff makes me queasy)

coffee (but can't stand the taste of the stuff)

this spiced plum cobbler candle I have

I had thought of others, but now I've lost them. Darn pregnancy brain anyway! :p

I have too many nasal allergies to be able to enjoy most of the scents posted. I do NOT enjoy the smell of my mom's perfume. I do, however, enjoy my dad's piper tobacco. (Both deceased--11 years & 14 yrs).

Flowers, cut grass and most perfumes & aftershaves send me to allergy he//. I can, however, handle food smells and pine. My favorite Yankee Candles are: Winter: harvest, pine, vanilla, cinnamon. Summer: Peach, orange, honeydew melon.

Usually it's the smells that bring back memories for me...

The smell of wet earth in the spring meant soccer season was on the way.

Dust and bubble gum meant softball season.

The combination of turkey, green beans, and au gratin potatoes meant running around Grandma's house at Thanksgiving in my hated dress and clunky shoes with my dozen or so cousins.

...and Old Spice? Let's just say it reminds me of a Tall Bald Guy...:D

nt