Menu

Cleaning: Love or Loathe?

So tell me: do you clean for comfort? Is it soothing to your soul? Or would you do anything to get out of scrubbing floors and windows? I'm forcing a choice here because we all have chores we can tolerate and others we're not wild about. But what is the first thing that comes to mind when I say, "Okay guys! Time for Spring Cleaning!"

I hate, hate, hate cleaning. I do it because it has to be done, but I will also procrastinate as much as I can before doing it. My mom started having me do major chores when I was young (ie. cleaning all 3 bathrooms, including washing the floors at 7), and if I didn't do it to her standards, I had to do the ENTIRE bathroom over again... not just the spot I missed, but everything. It moved to more chores by the time I was 10. My sister and I discuss our chores today, and we ask ourselves, "what did she do?" since we did it all!

So, I am going to blame this on my mom! :D I like a clean house, so I do my cleaning, but I truly do loathe it.

So tell me: do you clean for comfort? Is it soothing to your soul? Or would you do anything to get out of scrubbing floors and windows? I'm forcing a choice here because we all have chores we can tolerate and others we're not wild about. But what is the first thing that comes to mind when I say, "Okay guys! Time for Spring Cleaning!"

"Other". I enjoy cleaning when I am able to concentrate on it and do it without being interrupted. Otherwise it drives me crazy trying to do too many things at one time and if there are other things going on I will avoid cleaning.

"Other". I enjoy cleaning when I am able to concentrate on it and do it without being interrupted. Otherwise it drives me crazy trying to do too many things at one time and if there are other things going on I will avoid cleaning.

LOL, then you should vote "therapeutic" because you are one of those freaks who gets a gleam in her eye before attacking dusty things.

Barb

I don't really *like* to clean, but if life is hectic and feeling out of control, at least I can control the mess in my house. If life is crazy and everything is a disaster, I go crazy. If I'm stressed, I start organizing. I'm weird ;)
:iagree:

I stress clean too. My dh says he knows something is wrong when he comes home and finds me scrubbing the tile with old toothbrush.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I don't really *like* to clean, but if life is hectic and feeling out of control, at least I can control the mess in my house. If life is crazy and everything is a disaster, I go crazy. If I'm stressed, I start organizing. I'm weird ;)

Oh, this is me exactly! I just get tired of cleaning when I know my work will be undone almost immediately. However, a little while back, while under great stress, I got back some sense of control by keeping my house the cleanest it has ever been. I spent two entire mornings scrubbing my kitchen and dining room tile grout with a toothbrush on my hands and knees. My friends were quite concerned for my sanity! :D Thankfully, the stress has passed. The rest of the house is the same as before but I will tell you, my floors sure look fabulous!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
:iagree:

I stress clean too. My dh says he knows something is wrong when he comes home and finds me scrubbing the tile with old toothbrush.

LOL! I didn't read your post until after mine! I'm glad I am not the only one. I don't know whether DH was more happy about the clean floor or more concerned about my mental health!

I only like cleaning when it is my idea and I am in the mood to do it lol. Generally I loathe cleaning, ask my hubby! There are a few times a year, generally leading up to holidays or stressful times when I will turn the house upside down cleaning every square inch though. I am odd. ;)

LOL! I didn't read your post until after mine! I'm glad I am not the only one. I don't know whether DH was more happy about the clean floor or more concerned about my mental health!

LOL! Dh had that look in his eyes as if to say "Okay she seems to be losing it but maybe we won't haul her off until the all the laundry is starched and ironed and the bathroom floors are done."

I picked the second although cleaning does keep me from losing it when I am really mad. I have heard the kids ask each other why I am mad when they have seen me cleaning like crazy only to be told by the others, "Who knows but move out of her way and let her clean until she calms down." Unfortunately (in a weird sort of way), I don't get near as mad as I used to so my house isn't near as clean as it used to be.

I quite like cleaning sometimes, other times I just wish I could be homeless so I didn't have to clean my home :001_huh:

It can be calming or energizing, depending on the mood. It's satisfying because you get a predictable positive outcome that is not too challenging to achieve. With so many challenges in life, it's nice to vacuum the house because you know you can do it and you'll like the result.

I despise cleaning. Fortunately I'm married to a man who know how to clean and doesn't mind. He cleaned houses for a living for a while and was really good at it.

Between him and ds they do most of the cleaning. I'm so spoiled.

They once took a weekend trip and I cleaned the entire house while they were gone. I even took pictures to prove I could do it.

:iagree:I like folding laundry, cleaning bathrooms and mopping floors. Nothing ever gets done around here because I never get time to concentrate on it uninterrupted. Not even 5 minutes. My kids are very high maintenance.

While I am on that subject... DH is on vacation from work this week and the kids are stressing him out worse than his job. He is so disappointed. I am too... but it is nice to have some validation.

I *hate* cleaning. I hate supervising children cleaning even worse. However, I really, really, really prefer a clean, organized house and yard. It makes me feel extremely peaceful if it is clean and uncluttered. It never seems to be, but I am working towards that goal.

I HATE cleaning. My house is never in showroom condition. We need a 2 day lead time for company.....

I hate having the house a mess, but honestly, I feel I could clean all day and just start back at point A the next day and do it again. I don't have that kind of patience!

Dawn

Of course you know there ought to be the obligatory other. :tongue_smilie: I rank everything you list right up there together. In fact, I can't say the last time I ever paid a bill. If, in fact, it were up to me to pay the bills, I'm afraid we'd be homless in a month.

I loathe ALL that stuff except curriculum planning -- which I love just too much!

I love a lot of things just not those. Shooting for intent, though, I voted the bills one b/c you were asking about how i feel about cleaning . . . Loathe, if that's the strongest we can come up with.

I hate to clean but it has to be done. My teen dd is very good about helping me. We have 7 cats that I dearly love but the vacuuming is a constant struggle. I have a Dyson downstairs and a Hoover upstairs. My Hoover died yesterday. Dh is going to our local repair man and buy me one of his repaired vacumms that he sells for fairly cheap (My Hoover is beyond repair this time), I tend to clean as fast as I can just to get it over with.

On the otherhand, I am currently dejunking my house and I love doing that. I know my house will be easier to clean with about 90% lol of our stuff gone.

I am currently dejunking my house and I love doing that. I know my house will be easier to clean with about 90% lol of our stuff gone.

Me too! I hate cleaning, but it sure does feel good to dejunk! Only, my DH has been complaining that I'm making a bigger mess than what I started with because I'm pulling everything out. :glare::001_huh:

I clean because I have OCD issues. Not cleaning makes me very unhappy, but that's not to say that cleaning makes me happy, nor that I particularly enjoy it.

Me too. I wait until dh and the boys are gone then clean like mad. When we're all home, it's just the basics to keep things presentable. :)

I always try not to use an "other". However I really do not belong in either category. I tolerate cleaning but it isn't soothing to my soul nor do I avoid it at all costs. I has to be done and I get it over with, with relief. I'd hire a housecleaner in a heartbeat again if I didn't feel it was important for the boys to know how to keep a house and I'm just so uncomfortable with someone in house like that.