Menu

I want to make this cake:

CUTE! Can you do fondant? It looks like it's just colored fondant layered in a neato-keeno kinda way. :D

That's what I was thinking. I don't have those shapes of pans to make the leany cake thing, but maybe I could double the ones I have & cut them funny.

Fondant: I've never tried it (once, actually), but I've played w/ play-doh. I don't see why I couldn't do it. :001_huh: Right? :D

Do you have a good fondant recipe? I like this one a bunch:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx

It's both yummy, and easy to work with. Make sure you add the color before you work in the powdered sugar whenever you can.

I don't use special pans to make topsy-turvy cakes. You'll do just fine with what you have. :001_smile:

Do you have a good fondant recipe? I like this one a bunch:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marshmallow-Fondant/Detail.aspx

It's both yummy, and easy to work with. Make sure you add the color before you work in the powdered sugar whenever you can.

I don't use special pans to make topsy-turvy cakes. You'll do just fine with what you have. :001_smile:

I have used that fondant several times and will never use anything else. Fondant is fun to work with!! Just make sure you kitchen isn't hot :)

That's what I was thinking. I don't have those shapes of pans to make the leany cake thing, but maybe I could double the ones I have & cut them funny.

Fondant: I've never tried it (once, actually), but I've played w/ play-doh. I don't see why I couldn't do it. :001_huh: Right? :D

Oh my--I didn't even notice the cakes were tipped funny like that! :lol:

Call me observant...

There are some great videos on YouTube about how to use fondant to cover both round and square cakes as well as various other applications. I found them tremendously helpful when I attempted my first fondant cake.

I have an easy way to get the lopsided shape. Just take the cake pan, and when you put it in the oven, put something under one side, so the pan is tilted. I'll come up nice and lopsided. Don't ask me how I know. Suffice it to say, I wasn't looking for that result. :tongue_smilie:

Fondant looks so easy - well on TV it does anyway. :lol: Go for it!!!

That is a topsy-turvey or sometimes called whimsical. The technique can be intense. I've been doing cakes for almost a year and have yet to do one. There are some really good tutorials and tips at http://www.cakecentral.com That is the best cake site! The cake is covered in fondant which is something that takes some getting used to but once you do, it is fun to work with. One of the best things I ever did was take the Wilton Cake Decorating courses. You can take them at Michael's or Joann's and usually get half off the tuition and supplies with coupon deals. I never paid full price for my classes. You will learn everything you need to know to make that kind of cake except for the topsy-turvy technique. Good luck!

That is a topsy-turvey or sometimes called whimsical. The technique can be intense. I've been doing cakes for almost a year and have yet to do one. There are some really good tutorials and tips at www.cakecentral.com That is the best cake site! The cake is covered in fondant which is something that takes some getting used to but once you do, it is fun to work with. One of the best things I ever did was take the Wilton Cake Decorating courses. You can take them at Michael's or Joann's and usually get half off the tuition and supplies with coupon deals. I never paid full price for my classes. You will learn everything you need to know to make that kind of cake except for the topsy-turvy technique. Good luck!

Well. Mil's party is Saturday, so I don't have time for a class, I don't think. And I don't follow instructions, either. I invent my own way, tear my hair out, weep at the results, & then later, look at the pics & think, gee, that was actually pretty amazing.

Doesn't matter if it's a cake or a painting or an essay. Actually, I parent that way, too. :lol:

Well. Mil's party is Saturday, so I don't have time for a class, I don't think. And I don't follow instructions, either. I invent my own way, tear my hair out, weep at the results, & then later, look at the pics & think, gee, that was actually pretty amazing.

Doesn't matter if it's a cake or a painting or an essay. Actually, I parent that way, too. :lol:

Oh my! You are much braver than I am! :eek:

Watch a few u-tube videos...

Sculpt cake as you want--try to have the bottom of the cake (part baked on the pan bottom) facing up... easier to ice than the crumb side.

IMPORTANT Use favorite buttercream icing and give it a good crumb coat then

PLACE CAKE IN FRIDGE for 20-30 minutes before putting fondant on.

Roll out fondant like you would a pie crust-- smooth from top to bottom--pull it away from bottom gently as you smooth the sides... trim extra with knife or pizza cutter.

Fondant sticks to fondant with a TINY dab of water... not too much or it will get slimy. Use cookie cutters or free hand designs and then glue on with a tiny dab/brush of water. If any water gets on cake dab on a bit of powdered sugar...

I make marshmallow fondant... EASY to make (like marshmallow rice cereal treats--but you mix in powdered sugar instead of the cereal (omit butter). You can google the recipe and watch u-tube videos too.

Please watch a video or 2 first--then feel free to 'wing it'....

The cake will be great!

Tips learned so far:

1. Marshmallows GROW in the microwave. If they barely fit in the bowl to begin with, watch out.

2. Put toddlers to bed first.

3. If it says 1/4c butter & the only thing it's used for is to butter. your. hands. & you think there's no way you're gonna waste that much butter on your hands--think again. Yup, go ahead & use the whole thing.

4. Once you've gotten started & you're looking at the rest of the butter, longingly wishing you'd used more, go ahead. It'll still work.

5. Saying, "IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER, I'M GONNA GLUE YOUR FACE TO THE WALL" works.

6. All the same, go ahead & put the big kids to bed first, too.

7. Plan to buy a new blender.

8. Do NOT under any circumstances try to imagine *eating* it.

9. If you defeat the great ball of marshmallow ick & powdered sugar *while* trying to read the recipe (that you cleverly taped to the wall beside you), you will feel more like a woman than when you gave birth to a 9.5lb baby standing in your own room w/ no a/c in August. It's quite a rush.

Tips learned so far:

1. Marshmallows GROW in the microwave. If they barely fit in the bowl to begin with, watch out.

2. Put toddlers to bed first.

3. If it says 1/4c butter & the only thing it's used for is to butter. your. hands. & you think there's no way you're gonna waste that much butter on your hands--think again. Yup, go ahead & use the whole thing.

4. Once you've gotten started & you're looking at the rest of the butter, longingly wishing you'd used more, go ahead. It'll still work.

5. Saying, "IF YOU COME ANY CLOSER, I'M GONNA GLUE YOUR FACE TO THE WALL" works.

6. All the same, go ahead & put the big kids to bed first, too.

7. Plan to buy a new blender.

8. Do NOT under any circumstances try to imagine *eating* it.

9. If you defeat the great ball of marshmallow ick & powdered sugar *while* trying to read the recipe (that you cleverly taped to the wall beside you), you will feel more like a woman than when you gave birth to a 9.5lb baby standing in your own room w/ no a/c in August. It's quite a rush.

:lol::lol::lol: Aubrey, I'm so glad you're on this board!! :lol::lol::lol:

Mama Anna

Aubrey! You are SOOOOO funny! And brave....

I was just thinking that I'd chime in and encourage you since you were busy in the kitchen -- I didn't expect to see an in-progress report. If only we could web cam your activities...!

I hope you don't throw in the towel, I will look forward to another update as well as photos of your (eventual) finished project.

You are really giving your kids something to talk about...:D

Aubrey! You are SOOOOO funny! And brave....

I was just thinking that I'd chime in and encourage you since you were busy in the kitchen -- I didn't expect to see an in-progress report. If only we could web cam your activities...!

I hope you don't throw in the towel, I will look forward to another update as well as photos of your (eventual) finished project.

You are really giving your kids something to talk about...:D

:w00t: You don't know me. Dh is laughing so hard at the thought of ME throwing in the towel...I think that's a tear in the corner of his eye. If he could *get* me to quit...

1. Our first baby came a bit before I'd finished my BA. 1 wk after he was born, I was back in class FT. 2wks later, I sat for comprehensive exams. Before the semester was over, I had an oral defense of my...very long paper that was not a thesis. And for kicks? I chose to do it on Faulkner's The Sound & the Fury.

2. I stayed up all night before ds's bday one year trying to make the gingerbread parthenon out of SOTW AG 1. When I saw that they'd inadvertently only included the diagram for the front of the building, I drew the rest of it to scale, cut it out, & made a 3d gingerbread parthenon. It was yrs later before I realized they'd meant it to be a 1d cookie.

3. I found out we were expecting baby #2 & immediately returned to school for my MA, which I did online while working. Eventually I was workign 3PT jobs, student teaching FT, & taking a full load of classes.

4. About 3wks before baby #1 was due, I was invited to the staff Christmas party at my university. The thought of hanging out w/ the profs was SO COOL, I wasn't going to miss that, but I didn't have a nice enough dress in a maternity size & didn't have enough $ to order one. So I made a floor-length formal evening dress (from crepe-backed satin) in 2 days, while working, attending classes, & studying for finals, one of which was Calculus, which I took because the math class for English majors was too easy (& therefore boring) & they wouldn't take any of the math classes I'd already had. :glare:

I've got to go get cakes out of the oven. The point? I never throw in the towel. I'm really nice, but you don't want to cross me. I mean, I'll never be enough of a threat for you to be, like, afraid or anything, but I. will. never. give. up.

Ok, that's not true. I get pretty bored fighting w/ people, & I do throw in the towel when I get bored, which is why I dropped the sissy math class. So, come to think of it, go ahead & cross me all you want. I chewed out a postal worker today, & it was probably a bright spot in his day. :glare::lol:

Um, Aubrey dear, I'm afraid to ask...

What did you use the blender for?? Are you makin' margaritas to go along with your marshmallow fondant experience, or...??? :001_huh:

Well, see...it *climbs.* So there's fondant going up the blender FAST, & my eyes are starting to pop out of my head a little, so I pull it up a smidge, & WHAM! powdered sugar starts flying, so I push the blender...oh.

I always get the names of those two appliances mixed up. Mixed up. Heehehe.

It was the mixer. Plan to replace that.

Oh to be a fly on the wall!

There are going to be photos, aren't there?

And, can I ask (b/c I was reading up on this before) -- how are you topsy-turvy-ing your layers? I'm curious........................:confused:

First problem: I only have 8" cake pans. I was going to make 6 of those, cut 2 smaller & smoosh some extra on the other 2 to make them bigger (or something), but dh objected, so he's at the groc store buying larger cake pans while I peel carrots.

I'm planning to just chop them into topsy-turvy shapes. :confused: Seems fine to me. And besides, if there are "magic" brownies beside it, who will care? :lol:

First problem: I only have 8" cake pans. I was going to make 6 of those, cut 2 smaller & smoosh some extra on the other 2 to make them bigger (or something), but dh objected, so he's at the groc store buying larger cake pans while I peel carrots.

I'm planning to just chop them into topsy-turvy shapes. :confused: Seems fine to me. And besides, if there are "magic" brownies beside it, who will care? :lol:

well, it sounds to me like you have it all under control. Serve the brownies first and it won't matter if the cake is topsy turvy or perfectly plumb.

Here's the link to the assembly directions, you know, just in case :001_huh:....and I know you don't read, but just a teeny weeny bit of reading will get you a phenom cake.....but you didn't read that either, did you?:glare:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6579842_make-hatter-style-wedding-cake.html

well, it sounds to me like you have it all under control. Serve the brownies first and it won't matter if the cake is topsy turvy or perfectly plumb.

Here's the link to the assembly directions, you know, just in case :001_huh:....and I know you don't read, but just a teeny weeny bit of reading will get you a phenom cake.....but you didn't read that either, did you?:glare:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6579842_make-hatter-style-wedding-cake.html

I didn't even read the recipe I taped to the wall. If I had, there'd have been 1c less powdered sugar in the fondant.

34007_436791761907_768556907_5923744_5135783_n.jpg

Random cake, but dd wanted it to match her bath toy. LOL

Edited by Aubrey

I can't find the pic of the castle, but here's the Parthenon:

34007_436793366907_768556907_5923768_1289586_n.jpg

34007_436793381907_768556907_5923769_3482958_n.jpg

And bear in mind, what's cool about this is--I had to design everything beyond the facade, to scale, myself, using nothing but the pic in the AG & a good encyclopedia. Oh, & maybe a calculator.

:w00t: 1

2. I stayed up all night before ds's bday one year trying to make the gingerbread parthenon out of SOTW AG 1. When I saw that they'd inadvertently only included the diagram for the front of the building, I drew the rest of it to scale, cut it out, & made a 3d gingerbread parthenon. It was yrs later before I realized they'd meant it to be a 1d cookie.

WHAT! is is meant to be 1d??

I made it into a 3d as well. I thought that is how it was meant to be.:svengo:

The cake is covered in two colors of fondant. It won't be on the cover of Better Homes & Gardens, but I'm pleased so far.

Tip of the Day: Remember, when success begins to seem out of reach, lower the bar. :D

Pix, Pix, Pix :lurk5:

:thumbup1: I am sure it is lovely

It looks AWESOME but we're running a smidge late, so I'll post pics later.

Thanks, ladies! (who didn't say, "Um...I bet fondant can cover that," at 1AM like...*somebody* whose face got glued to the wall)

Aubrey, dressed in very groovy digs, baby! Peace!