Menu

do you paint your toenails?

I've painted mine for so many years, year round, that I can't ever remember NOT painting them. Perhaps I've painted them upwards of 30 years. I have always hated my THIN fingernails but took pride in my toes looking great. A couple of years ago my toenails started to chip, so I kept them filed back. But this year my polish is constantly chipping! I used to paint my toes maybe once per month, and now I'd practically had to paint them weekly to keep them looking nice. What could be causing this? I'm not on new meds and don't know what could be causing this.

It's summer. I *need* pretty painted toenails for the next 3 months.

My mom always kept her toes painted but discovered over time that she needed to let them breathe. So now in the winter months she doesn't put polish but only in the summer months. I also always have polish on my toes and where I live it is sandal weather year round. Probably pretty soon I should give them a break a week out of the month...they just look so WEIRD without polish!

I finally had to let mine go natural for a few months in the winter. I wasn't having the same problem you were. I found that my toenails were perpetually yellow because of the red dye soaking into the nail. It really was a vicious cycle. I'd cover them with polish to keep from seeing the ugly yellow fungus look alike nails (there was NO fungus). But the polish was causing the YFLAN.

Wear sneakers for a week.

Always put a really good quality clear polish between your toes and polish and remove the polish about every week or 10 days. I always let my nails breath overnight with no polish when I take it off. Another coat of that really good quality clear polish on top works great for preventing chips too. "Really good quality" is key though. Don't skimp there.

P.S. I'm wearing a bright cheerful pink much like my signature line below right now. I always do french manicure or occasionally red. I'm feeling very young with my pink toes right now. LOL :)

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

I have mine done every two weeks -- that way the polish is removed and the unpainted nails are scrubbed. Always use a base coat. And a top coat only after two coats have THOROUGHLY dried.

I love wearing pretty summer colors, but what I TRULY love is the foot/ankle/leg massage. On my right ankle that has been sprained more times than I can count, broken once, and I landed on it last year when I was run down while running, the massage is just heavenly.

And, use good quality nail enamel.;)

Yes, always during sandal weather, and most of the time otherwise as well. In sandal weather, I change the polish on my toes every week or two, otherwise the growth is just much too noticeable.

Is your polish old? Are you making sure you do not have any oils or lotion on your toenails before applying polish? Oils on there can make the polish chip faster. Wipe them down with nail polish remover before applying fresh polish if needed to remove oils. Are you using a good basecoat and topcoat? My favorite topcoat is Seche Vite.. it's a fast dry topcoat, you put it on right away, no need to wait for the color coats to dry, because it dries them to the touch for you in 5-10 minutes. Poshe is another good fast dry topcoat. A basecoat will help adhere the polish to your nails... a couple of good ones are Orly Bonder and Creative Sticky.

Nope, no paint here. I used to have a friend who was a manicurist. She always wanted to get me in her chair to give me some color. Even though she was offering to do it for free, I never took her up on it. I just don't like painted nails. I have very strong natural nails, so if I wanted to let them grow, I could easily have very long healthy nails. I keep them trimmed back and smooth but that is it.

I used to paint them years ago. My nails grow fast so I had to touch them up every three days or so...way to much primping for my taste.

I switched to formaldehyde and toulene free polishes only like Zoya ( Nicole by OPI, some Essie, Revlon, Borghese) several years ago and never looked back. If you live in polish, you might want to look into them :). The cost the same or less as OPI, but might help the health of your nails and body.

also: Biotin really helps with hair and nails. It takes about 2 months to see, but it really works.

Edited by 3littlekeets

Guest Katia

Yes! I love to paint my toe-nails, but only during the summer months. I like to change the color every two weeks. This thread is so timely as I need to remove my current color and change it tomorrow. :D Thanks for the reminder.

When mid-September rolls around, I take it off and have no color until the last week of May or the first week of June.

I never (well, almost never) paint my finger-nails. I like them natural. But during the summer.....the toes have to have color in my flip-flops!

Always put a really good quality clear polish between your toes and polish and remove the polish about every week or 10 days. I always let my nails breath overnight with no polish when I take it off. Another coat of that really good quality clear polish on top works great for preventing chips too. "Really good quality" is key though. Don't skimp there.

P.S. I'm wearing a bright cheerful pink much like my signature line below right now. I always do french manicure or occasionally red. I'm feeling very young with my pink toes right now. LOL :)

:iagree:

I keep mine polished year round, too. I do them about every two weeks.

I don't notice it with my toe nails, but I notice that my finger nails react a lot to my diet and stress level. Right now they are long and strong because I've actually been remembering to take my vitamins every day. :001_smile: Have you had a change in your diet?

I guess I'm just not a girl. The thought to painting my finger or toe nails never even occurs to me. Why??? Nope, I just don't get it and have never thought spending money or time doing it was something I would even consider. I know it's common and cultural, but the truth is, the few times I notice someone's nails done, I chuckle to myself and think think it's odd. I must be missing a gene or something. My girls like to paint their nails. I've got no problem with it. I just would never do it myself.

(You are right, I don't pay much attention to fashion, hair or jewelry either and I hate makeup! )

Yes, I love to paint my toe nails. One of the things that I like about living here is showing off my toes year-round!

I agree with what the others have said. Start with a good quality base coat. Use good quality polishes-Orly, OPI, China Glaze, etc and do two top coats. I haven't had any problems with staining or yellowing since I started using a good base coat, even with deep reds.

I keep mine polished too. I do take off the polish, occasionally, and start all over. I always use the same bright red on my toes, and just keep adding layers. I wear peep toes in the winter, so I keep them painted in the winter, too. I may have to take everyone's advice, and let my toe nails breathe. I didn't realized I needed to do this.

I think it may be your polish if it keeps chipping. I just bought some Avon, and haven't had any chipping yet.

Edited by LuvToRead

I don't wear polish for religious reasons, but I've just started dying my nails. Ladies in my local community use henna, which is not a good color palette for me, so I use pink hair dye. After buffing, it looks just like nail polish. I haven't been doing it long enough to know how it will last, but at least I shouldn't be having chipping issues. I wanted to get some nail strengthener (I think Nutrogena carries one?) to use as well - the dye didn't have that "dye smell", so I don't know if it will hurt my nails in the long run.

I did find it interesting that although I followed all the same steps (cleaning, filing, etc.) with finger and toenails, the toenails came out a bit differently; not noticeable to anyone but me, but the quality is somehow different.

I mainly use OPI but I have a few Ice and Revlon quick dry.

I do not use a base coat and never did. I need to try that now. I would LOVE it if my nails stopped turning yellow from using a base coat!!! I did use a top coat that I bought at the local beauty supply store.

Thanks everyone!

I don't wear polish for religious reasons, but I've just started dying my nails. Ladies in my local community use henna, which is not a good color palette for me, so I use pink hair dye. After buffing, it looks just like nail polish.

Kate -- you're a genius. Thank you!

Now I am waiting for the thread, 'Am I the only one who doesn't feel the need to paint my toe nails?" :lol::D:auto:

I paint mine. Not all year long, but in sandal season. I would do it more often, but I forget. I always get a pedi when I go to FL in winter. So it's often a long time between professional coats. (Sept to Feb. Horrors!).

Currently they are light pink.

Now I am waiting for the thread, 'Am I the only one who doesn't feel the need to paint my toe nails?" :lol::D:auto:

I don't, because I like to spend time with my family.

:tongue_smilie: :lol:

I always keep them painted. My dh thinks it's hott :D, and he rubs my feet when they're painted. Good enough reason for the effort to me. ;)

I don't, because I like to spend time with my family.

:tongue_smilie: :lol:

I always keep them painted. My dh thinks it's hott :D, and he rubs my feet when they're painted. Good enough reason for the effort to me. ;)

:lol:

Good to keep a dh happy. ;)