Menu

Disney or ???? for a once in a life time vacation

We are considering a once in a life time (for us) memorable vacation possibly in the next year.

Disney is one of the options. We are in Michigan so would have to drive or fly. We are not huge ride (like roller coaster) people but might enjoy the shows, animal kingdom, etc.

We have dh and I, then 22ds (mentally impaired so more like a 10-12 year old), 14dd (also mentally impaired, more like a 7-8 year old) and 13dd (LDs and delays so like a 9-10 year old). Given our family, the kids might enjoy the shows, etc. even if they are more for the elementary age crowd.

How much should I budget if we want to stay on site, eat some meals (maybe meal plan), etc. I am very frugal as a rule but I don't want to spend my vacation worrying over a $2 bottle of water we bought instead of carrying in our own and asking for ice, etc.

14dd would LOVE LOVE LOVE to swim with the dolphins--that has been a dream of hers for years. I know there are places down in the keys as well we could do that--or watch her.

I have also heard that Sea World (and maybe Disney) will give special needs passes with a doctor's note to help cut down lines, waiting time, etc. Has anyone done that?

Our other vacation options might be Atlanta area where my sister and her family live (haven't been there), Texas to where 14dd was born (haven't been there either==she is adopted so she is the only one of us that has been there). or possibly just vacationing in 1-2 day stints more locally---Medieval times, camping at the beach (beach 10 minutes from us is the best in the state), etc.

We just realize that 22ds might not want to go with us in another 1-2 years so if we want a family vacation, now might be the time.

We thought about a cruise but weren't sure about having 13dd and 14dd in with the teen group there considering their special needs--not sure about the supervision, activities, etc.

What ideas do you have for us?

I recommend Disney (and it's not just because I'm a Disney travel agent). :lol: We have been twice, and are preparing for our third trip in September. My kids and I love it there. The shows, parades, etc are awesome! There are plenty of rides for those who don't enjoy roller coasters - like me!

As for cost, it would depend upon where you stay and how many people are in your party. For dining, for the past few years Disney has offered a free dining plan to those who stay on site. It is an incredible plan! And, even if it's not offered, you can purchase the dining plan (which we did on our first trip). We saved our receipts so we could see just how much we saved. I think we reached the cost of the plan on our third day. And, we still had to eat for 4 more days! It would have cost us a fortune to eat there with out the plan.

If you want to get a ballpark figure of what it would cost for you and your family to go to Disney (without the airfare factored in), let me know. I'd be glad to help you out! And, I really would vote for Disney even if I wasn't an agent. My family loves it that much!

I haven't been to Disney in 17 years, so I have no advice for lodging and tickets. However, ds went with his dad a few years ago. They did get special-needs accommodations for his Asperger's issues, no documentation necessary. He can't handle extremely long waits or extreme heat, so the combo would have done him in. They got to jump ahead in all lines.

He's also done that at other parks (like Hershey) with his dad. I don't do it for the smaller parks, but I'd definitely do it at Disney!

We've taken our guys to Sea World several times and really enjoyed it! That would be my vote.....:001_smile: There are behind the scenes tours, a couple of "rides" based around the animals, shows, etc. We didn't miss the mouse at all.

Now, if you are headed to Orlando, FL, you could actually visit more than one park as there are several clustered together there and you can put together some great packages. Then you could see both Disney and Sea World, among others. (though with Disney you will want to set aside at least 2 days for each one of their parks - they are just SO massive).

Planning a vacation is just so exciting! Have fun! ;)

We went to Disney last year, and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it. I think your kids would love it. Most of the attractions there are not high-intensity rides, but great shows and mild entertaining rides.

We stayed on property and it was fantastic. If you don't want to be concerned with meal costs, I would recommend getting the meal plan. Perhaps you can go at a time when "free dining" is available. Since your kids are older, that would really help with the cost.

Disney does have a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) for special needs people. It doesn't allow you to "cut lines", but does make provisions for waiting, etc. I don't know much about it, but perhaps someone else will chime in. Also, if you have special food needs (allergies, intolerances, etc.), Disney is fantastic about dealing with those.

We had a fabulous time, and I'd really like to go back!!

Oh, and also, Disney does allow you to bring your own food into the park. We took a very small cooler in our stroller and brought water and other drinks, and carried snacks in our backpack. Saved a bundle!

Well, I'm a Disney freak LOL. So if you've never been, I say go there if you think your kids will enjoy it. I do not do rollercoasters either.....at all. But I can ride everything at Magic Kingdom except for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain. I can ride most everything at the other parks as well. Thankfully, unlike Busch Gardens and Islands of Adventure, Disney is not a huge rollercoaster park.

Disney is just an overall awesome experience.

As for accomodations, we like to stay onsite. We either camp at Disney's campground, Fort Wilderness, or stay in one of the value resorts. However, since you have more people in your party than we do, you might want to consider renting a home nearby. There's plenty of vacation home communities that are super nice (Windsor Hills is one we are staying in in December).

If staying in a house with a full kitchen, you can make some meals, have snacks accessible, etc. We bring our own snacks into the park. Don't worry about water - all snack bars give free cups of ice water if you just ask (they are not tiny either). We don't even worry about lugging around bottles of water. Sometimes I bring a soft sided cooler and bring a lunch into the parks.

Disney gives passes to special needs families as well. Just call and ask about it as I'm not sure how it works.

As for swimming with the dolphins, you could do that at Discovery Cove in Orlando.

Another vote for Disney! We went two years ago, and we all agree that it was the most fun we've ever had. I think our package to stay on site, have 7 day park passes and the dining plan, and plane tickets came to around $4000. It was a lot of money, but we haven't ever done anything like that before, and it was so worth it! We really loved the dining plan. We did a character meal almost every day, and it was all included in the plan. Fantastic!!

ETA: We stayed at one of the value resorts, Pop Century. It was great for us since we have small children, but for a family with older kids/teens you would definitely need a bigger room.

Edited by Nakia

Disney is a VERY fun vacation. Lots of walking. Lots of fun. And, yes, Disney is absolutely wonderful with children with disabilities.

There are SO many options when staying on property. As a family of 5, you'd need one of the suites at the value resorts. If I remember right, they cost between $150 and $199 depending on the time of year. Costs go up from there. Port Orleans Riverside is a mid-tier resort that sleeps five in some of their rooms. We paid $149/night for that room.

Dining plan is absolutely wonderful - if you are planning to eat out at nice places. That takes some planning and advanced reservations, but when a meal for our family can run upwards of $350 at a nice place, it's worth it!! They have offered free dining from the end of Aug - Dec for the last couple years. But, you'll pay rack rate for lodging on that plan. Price it all out to be sure you're getting the best deal. One year it was cheaper for us to get a discount on a room and pay for the meal plan.

Another option if you want to do something really budget - take a look at Windsor Hills Resort. It's an off-site complex with everything from 2 bedroom condos to 6 bedroom homes with private pools. We did this last year for a budget trip. We got a 3 br condo for $466 for the week. We ate breakfast in our condo. Packed a lunch to eat at the parks. Ate dinner out. This complex is located less that 2 miles from Disney entrance. A couple of the parks, we could get to in 5 - 10 minutes!

Costs - the first year we went, we did everything! We didn't know about discounts or anything. We just went. Stayed on site. Moderate resort. Deluxe Dining plan. 8 nights, 9 days. 3 Disney adults, 2 Disney kids, one infant. We ended up paying around $5000.

The next year, we did free dining (not the deluxe plan). 5 nights 6 days. Moderate resort. 3 adults, 2 kids, one infant. $2000.

Last year, we stayed at Windsor Hills. Ate on site a la carte. 7 nights, 8 days. 4 Disney adults, 2 Disney children. $1500.

Have fun planning!!! There are SO many options.

My brother works for Disney in Orlando so we've been a few times. It's a great place to go even if you're not into roller coasters (unlike many other parks that seem to have nothing else). I would recommend going in October or March - much nicer weather, fewer crowds. They do an amazing Halloween event that I took oldest dd to a few years ago (she was 9 or 10).

There is a Swim with the dolphins program (affiliated with Sea World) in Orlando called Discovery Cove.

I haven't read all the posts, but my vote would be for Disney. Most of the rides are not real scary thrill rides like roller coasters are. SeaWorld is really nice too. One thing I really like about SeaWorld is that if you get your tickets stamped before leaving the park (and I recommend you do this as soon as you enter) you can come back a second day.

So, when we went, we did a long day at the Magic Kingdom, then a more relaxed half day at SeaWorld, then a long day at Epcot, then a more relaxed half day at SeaWorld. This worked out very nicely for us.

If you go, I highly recommend getting the Unofficial Guide to Disney and using their touring plans. Or, you can just go online and pay about $10 and print your own customizable touring plans. We found that using these plans really did work and we spent very little time waiting in lines.

Lisa

One more thought - if you do decide to look into a cruise - check out a Disney cruise. They are wonderful about meeting the children where they are. So, if your kids would feel more comfortable in the younger kids' club, they'll let them. My dd. wasn't ready for me to leave her in the club on our first cruise. They let me stay with her! By the next cruise, dd. was telling me to leave!!

You could try a few days at Disney and then a 3 or 4 day cruise. Then, you could swim with the dolphins at one of the ports. We did that and LOVED the experience. Seriously, swimming with dolphins was one of the highlights of my LIFE!!!! They are so powerful, yet gentle.

I am not a big Disney fan though we have been to parks. BUt for your family, I think a vacation to Orlando sounds just right. Not only in Disney there, but Sea World, Medieval Dnner, all kinds of things. With your children's disabilities, it seems like a very good choice.

I just remembered something. Are you a AAA member? We joined AAA for about $99 and ended up saving around $400 on our trip booking with them. It was so worth it!

And I second a pp's recommendation for The Unofficial Guide to Disney book. We used their plans and hardly had to wait in line at all. It was great.

One more thought - if you do decide to look into a cruise - check out a Disney cruise. They are wonderful about meeting the children where they are. So, if your kids would feel more comfortable in the younger kids' club, they'll let them. My dd. wasn't ready for me to leave her in the club on our first cruise. They let me stay with her! By the next cruise, dd. was telling me to leave!!

You could try a few days at Disney and then a 3 or 4 day cruise.

:iagree:but I am huge fan of cruises!

We checked out swimming with the dolphins while in Grand Cayman and while it looked like great fun, the cost was $$$$.

:iagree:but I am huge fan of cruises!

We checked out swimming with the dolphins while in Grand Cayman and while it looked like great fun, the cost was $$$$.

We ended up booking on our own. We went in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park. I think we paid $80/pp. So, expensive, but not nearly as much as if we'd paid the cruise prices. Just a thought for your next cruise - try booking on your own. Oh - and swimming with the dolphins was our Christmas gift to those who went. (We had one who didn't want to do it and dd. was too young.)

We went to Disney last year, and it was AMAZING! I highly recommend it. I think your kids would love it. Most of the attractions there are not high-intensity rides, but great shows and mild entertaining rides.

:iagree: Disney all the way! Animal Kingdom is AMAZING and your kids will love all the parks!

Disney also offers a guest assistance pass. If your childs disability prevents them from waiting in long lines (and there were 1-2 hour waits for the "good" rides when we went in Feb.), they will give you a pass at City Hall to use the wheelchair and/or back entrance for the rides. We have used this with my Autistic dd. I love Disney, but the massive crowds would turn me off if it were a once in a lifetime vacation. I would likely do a cruise or an all inclusive resort.

ETA: Should have read the thread first since everyone already mentioned the pass....oops:)

Edited by hsbaby

We are considering a once in a life time (for us) memorable vacation possibly in the next year.

Disney is one of the options. We are in Michigan so would have to drive or fly. We are not huge ride (like roller coaster) people but might enjoy the shows, animal kingdom, etc.

We have dh and I, then 22ds (mentally impaired so more like a 10-12 year old), 14dd (also mentally impaired, more like a 7-8 year old) and 13dd (LDs and delays so like a 9-10 year old). Given our family, the kids might enjoy the shows, etc. even if they are more for the elementary age crowd.

How much should I budget if we want to stay on site, eat some meals (maybe meal plan), etc. I am very frugal as a rule but I don't want to spend my vacation worrying over a $2 bottle of water we bought instead of carrying in our own and asking for ice, etc.

14dd would LOVE LOVE LOVE to swim with the dolphins--that has been a dream of hers for years. I know there are places down in the keys as well we could do that--or watch her.

I have also heard that Sea World (and maybe Disney) will give special needs passes with a doctor's note to help cut down lines, waiting time, etc. Has anyone done that?

Our other vacation options might be Atlanta area where my sister and her family live (haven't been there), Texas to where 14dd was born (haven't been there either==she is adopted so she is the only one of us that has been there). or possibly just vacationing in 1-2 day stints more locally---Medieval times, camping at the beach (beach 10 minutes from us is the best in the state), etc.

We just realize that 22ds might not want to go with us in another 1-2 years so if we want a family vacation, now might be the time.

We thought about a cruise but weren't sure about having 13dd and 14dd in with the teen group there considering their special needs--not sure about the supervision, activities, etc.

What ideas do you have for us?

We've been planning the same thing...if you search by my name and topic you'll see I posted a few threads about Disney's ins/outs, etc, etc

My dh and I have both been to Disney Land as children, but that was many years ago. Our dd who just turned 11 exactly 2 weeks ago would enjoy going now. Much younger and it's too hard for them to keep up and understand much. We've decided to go just b/c it really does seem to be truly a "Land of Adventure". We live in Charlotte, NC and will drive down about 8-10 hours for us. Listen my sister lives near Detroit and they drove 24 hours non-stop one time to FL. You could drive 2 FULL days and spend only 1 night on the road.

Sept is homeschool days and I believe January's are too. We've decided NOT to stay on DW premises as it's too expensive for our budget even with the free dining plan.

We'll be going in Sept, probably which is still very warm but a bit more mild and it will be 1 month before my dh and I celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary! Sheryl <><

We're local and though we're not big Disney fans we go for the kids once a year. The Disneyana older generation that stands on the parade route an hour before it starts, will not budge to let a small child view the parade, and scream like maniacs when they see a character are enough to keep me away. The jacked up prices after paying a $75 entrance tix and the overwhelming merchandising are two more huge cons for us.

I think if you're driving staying off-site is the way to go. Check ebay for timeshare rentals or for rent by owner sites. My dh is in the vacation biz and there's so many timeshares around Disney you can rent off-site cheap. Many of the restaurants offsite are competitive with their meal prices which you'll see as you drive around offsite. Plus you can hit the Walmart in Kissimmee to load up on snack and "in room" food. Onsite my gf just stayed at the Wilderness Lodge which had a kitchen. They ate in their cabin for meals and brought their own snacks. A have another close friend that came down last Fall and had a bad experience with her dining plan and had to still wait in long lines to eat with a total of 5 grumpy kids under 8 (2 couples went). Though she stayed onsite she thought her onsite hotel would be a heck of a lot closer than it was...the whole getting on/off buses and shuttles with 4 adults 5kids and strollers was just an ordeal they didn't expect (I think she was under the impression she was in a monorail hotel, she wasn't).

We don't eat onsite, period. We pack snacks then eat outside the gates (no waiting, less crowded, better food). The exception would be the planned character meals.

I think, like anything else, it has its' pros and cons but I think it's something everyone has to experience just once.:)

If you come in October try to come around Mickey's Not So Scary party... great time. VERY crowded but fun. It's a seperate ticket you need to purchase to attend at night. We go more for the specialty parties than to the parks for a day. November is a nice time of year to come down... last November it was chilly even!

Edited by cjbeach

Our family loves Florida. We like to vacation there in late October through November. The weather is great and the crowds are manageable. Disney has Halloween & Christmas parties as well as the Osborne lights show during this time, which we enjoy.

This site is very helpful: http://www.disboards.com/

We stay off-site. We travel with other family members/friends so we like to rent a large house and stay together, but still have our own private space and private pool.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.

Enjoy your trip planning!

My brother works for Disney in Orlando so we've been a few times. It's a great place to go even if you're not into roller coasters (unlike many other parks that seem to have nothing else). I would recommend going in October or March - much nicer weather, fewer crowds. They do an amazing Halloween event that I took oldest dd to a few years ago (she was 9 or 10).

There is a Swim with the dolphins program (affiliated with Sea World) in Orlando called Discovery Cove.

Yes... do NOT take your once in a lifetime vacation at the wrong time of year. That is MOST important!!!

I guess you're thinking of Disney World in Florida, and not Disneyland in California.

I think everyone should have a Disney experience at least once in his life, whether it's Disneyland or Disney World. Mr. Ellie and I have been to Disneyland over 30 times, and each time we go, it's as if it's the first time. :D

Guest janainaz

I love Disneyland (and I've been to D-World). It really is a great place to take your kids - it sounds ideal for your family. As long as you don't go in the blistering heat and choose some days where it's not as likely to be crowded, it really is the happiest place on earth (well, for me it is). The parades, the shows, the rides are great.

Well, we just got back from Disney, staying 11 nights on-site (5 at Port Orleans, 6 at Coronado.) This was our 14th trip in 18 years. So, yes, we are Disney fans. I don't have time to write all the thoughts I had about whether or not this would be my recommendation for you. Honestly, I am not sure that this is your best choice in spite of the fact that it works for our family and I can tell you about more ins and outs than you would ever want to know. But one thing I would highlight since this is all I have time for: You do need to know that the logistics of a Disney trip can be quite involved. Deciding on the best resort or hotel for you, deciding on transportation, getting your family to and from the parks each day (we do both WDW transportation as well as drive ourselves sometimes), deciding on which park to go to that day, extra magic hours, if you want fast passes, best places to eat, what you'll do when it rains, how soon to arrive for shows, where to stand for parades and fireworks, if you want to go back and swim, what to pack in your backpack each day, the list just goes on and on and on. I am not telling you NOT to do it. Obviously, we do. I am just saying that with the special needs in your family, you need to decide if you want a relaxed, slow paced environment (a cruise could work for this - you would still see some great scenery but the demands and decisions for your time are fewer) or if you truly do want to navigate the logistical demands of Disney. Yes, you can just "show up" and take it as it comes at Disney. This doesn't work for us because we don't like to wait in long lines so we plan ahead as far as dates, times to arrive, which park to go to, use fast passes, etc. and rarely ever have to wait in line because of it...but...it takes planning. Well, I've already stayed longer on the board than I should have but I just wanted to give you another glimpse into what you would be encountering if you go the Disney route. And even if you go at the slowest time of year when the crowds are the best they get (as we usually do)...you should be aware that a true "sea of humanity" visits Disney every day that you will negotiate around and you will not EVER find it deserted. Keep planning and exploring. Frankly, I think the planning is half the fun!

Well, we just got back from Disney, staying 11 nights on-site (5 at Port Orleans, 6 at Coronado.) This was our 14th trip in 18 years. So, yes, we are Disney fans. I don't have time to write all the thoughts I had about whether or not this would be my recommendation for you. Honestly, I am not sure that this is your best choice in spite of the fact that it works for our family and I can tell you about more ins and outs than you would ever want to know. But one thing I would highlight since this is all I have time for: You do need to know that the logistics of a Disney trip can be quite involved. Deciding on the best resort or hotel for you, deciding on transportation, getting your family to and from the parks each day (we do both WDW transportation as well as drive ourselves sometimes), deciding on which park to go to that day, extra magic hours, if you want fast passes, best places to eat, what you'll do when it rains, how soon to arrive for shows, where to stand for parades and fireworks, if you want to go back and swim, what to pack in your backpack each day, the list just goes on and on and on. I am not telling you NOT to do it. Obviously, we do. I am just saying that with the special needs in your family, you need to decide if you want a relaxed, slow paced environment (a cruise could work for this - you would still see some great scenery but the demands and decisions for your time are fewer) or if you truly do want to navigate the logistical demands of Disney. Yes, you can just "show up" and take it as it comes at Disney. This doesn't work for us because we don't like to wait in long lines so we plan ahead as far as dates, times to arrive, which park to go to, use fast passes, etc. and rarely ever have to wait in line because of it...but...it takes planning. Well, I've already stayed longer on the board than I should have but I just wanted to give you another glimpse into what you would be encountering if you go the Disney route. And even if you go at the slowest time of year when the crowds are the best they get (as we usually do)...you should be aware that a true "sea of humanity" visits Disney every day that you will negotiate around and you will not EVER find it deserted. Keep planning and exploring. Frankly, I think the planning is half the fun!

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading your account of your Disney trips! I know lots of folks "do" Disney like this, but it's not for us. I didn't see anything in the OP's message that would make Disney a problem.

We went to WDW in February 2010, drove from MI, stayed off site, encountered little to no lines, saw parades and fireworks each day and night, ate breakfast at our condo, decided when and where we wanted to eat at the parks on the fly, discovered pin trading, and had the BEST family vacation we've ever had. I'm absolutely *positive* we missed seeing stuff. I'm *positive* we could have utilized our time better, but we had a blast....and we're going back next year. I won't change a thing.

Ottakee, if you're budget minded, you may want to consider staying at Windsor Hills (or one of the other off site communities), especially since you may drive. It took less than 10 minutes to get to the parks. Depending on when you go, you could get a 3 bedroom townhouse with a splash pool for less than $700 for 7 days (sometimes much less!). This way the whole family can have their own space. I'm a homeschooler. I'm with my kids constantly. I have no problem saying that when I come home from a day at the parks it is nice for the kids to go to their room and watch TV (and giggle about the day) and dh and I to stay up and watch TV in the living room without worrying about keeping the kids up. Just a thought!

It sounds like a great trip for your family. Have fun!

Just echoing everyone who has said that you must pick a good time of year to go. Disney is amazing, but can be quickly ruined by waiting in one or two hour lines in the scorching Florida heat. We never wait in lines more than 20 minutes long and we do not go in the heat. The very best time to go is the days after Labor Day. School has just began and most people are getting started with that. An employee described it as "deserted." That's all relative when it comes to Disney though. But you very well may be able to wait 10 minutes for rides. However, it is still very hot at that time of year. We go each year for a week from the end of Oct to the beginning of November. Love the Halloween party they have there.

Just tagging on to the PP post about never finding it NOT crowded...so true. ALTHOUGH I have heard that one of the least crowded days is Super Bowl Sunday. :D

We've been the week before Thanksgiving.... no line more than 30 minutes, most much less, some we just walked right on... When we went in May, longest lines were 45 minutes, some much less. Using fast passes helps.

We've been in September and January. Sept was HOT, but there were hardly any lines. I'm not sure if there just weren't that many people there or if those plans in the Unofficial Guide for Disney with Families worked so well.

January one year was perfect weather-wise. High 70s, sunny, gorgeous!!! This year - not so much. It was in the 30s! So, it's a gamble. We went during marathon week and we had no problems with lines.

We went off-season (right before the December holiday crowds would hit) and it was fantastic. We followed date guidelines from Unofficial Guide if I remember correctly.

We did get a GAC. My son is autistic and has mito. They don't ask for dx. but rather needs. Example: he can be overwhelmed by crowds and noise, he can't walk long distances, etc. They provided a card that allowed us to use wheelchair entrances. It's not necessarily supposed to cut down the line but it almost always did for us. It also allowed us to use his stroller as a wheelchair. Stroller issue of course not helpful at your kid's ages. But basically Disney is very special needs friendly. We couldn't have gone without that card.

As a side note mitochondrial disease qualifies as Make a Wish I believe.

Edited by sbgrace

BTW... you can always tell when the short lines will be by looking at the schedule. if they are open later, they are expecting crowds. You will actually see more and be able to go on more rides by going on days that they close earlier! Beware the late night hours. lol!

I live in Florida though so I will tell you straight up. Do NOT try to save money by going there in Disney's off-season. You will save on hotels that way but it's NOT worth it. This is a SUBTROPICAL climate. You will melt to the sidewalk. If you go in late October the weather should be great.

NOW, that out of the way...I just want to tell you that I was such a Disney hater. We don't watch many Disney movies, and we are generally not "entertainment" people. My idea of a good vacation is the mountains, canoeing, skiing, etc.

AND then, I went. With my kids.

I changed my mind. There are so many wonderful things about Disney. It is truly the best place to go with kids, or in your situation, with special needs older kids...

1. It's clean. You cannot imagine any "public" restroom being as clean as they are at Disney. There are no restroom lines. There is no litter. There is no trash. There is no smoking, except at a few designated areas. The benches are clean, the floors are clean, the tables in every restaurant are clean, there is no stinking garbage anywhere....

2. It's safe. Everything, everywhere, is set up for easy parental oversight, organized, and efficient.

3. It's morally upright, mostly. OTher than the Haunted Mansion and Darth Maul (Star Wars) I can't think of anything else that really irked me, as a Christian and conservative parent. We don't watch Little Mermaid, and we don't appreciate the clothing on a few other of the Princesses but they aren't popular anyway so we didn't even see them.

4. OK, and last. It's fun!!! There is always, always, always something interesting to do. If you take your time and don't rush it you will have a great time. If you are tired, there is always a show nearby. At the right time of year, you will also see really well done or cute performances from high school cheerleaders, dance clubs, bands, and dance schools that auditioned to perform there in exchange for park passes.

5. Disney is not really about the rides. It's more about the shows, but the rides that are there are well done and the waiting isn't bad.

So...from a former Disney downer, I think Disney is a great choice, for young and old alike. It's clean, safe, you get your money's worth.