Menu

Twilight...I DON'T want to go there!

Up until now, I've had zero interest in it. Now, all of a sudden, my IRL fellow homeschooling friends are reading the series and telling me how much they're enjoying it. Then I see a few of you fellow WTM ladies listing the books as some of your favorites.:glare: I'm surrounded! So, those of you who enjoy the series, tell me why I SHOULD go there.:D

Up until now, I've had zero interest in it. Now, all of a sudden, my IRL fellow homeschooling friends are reading the series and telling me how much they're enjoying it. Then I see a few of you fellow WTM ladies listing the books as some of your favorites.:glare: I'm surrounded! So, those of you who enjoy the series, tell me why I SHOULD go there.:D

I won't go there if you won't! ;)

Seriously - I'm having the same problem and I really don't want to read the books, so I'm not. It's fluff from what everyone has told me so I'm just avoiding for now - I have plenty to read without them. :)

I was the same way, until my friend (who had been telling me for a year to read Twilight) bought me the book. Then I felt like I had to read it, and of course I couldn't stop then. Like others said, the writing is not very good but the story is intriguing. If you have extra time or just want some quick light reading, it's a fun series. Or you can do what one of my friends did, and read the synopsis of the books on Wikipedia. She wanted to know what we were talking about without reading a couple thousand pages. :001_smile:

I haven't read it and I tried to watch the first movie and fell asleep and never watched the whole thing. I have such a hard time understanding why adults would be so interested in a story about teenagers in high school, but that's probably because I have never read it. :D

Totally skip it. I was in a funk. I started reading the first one. I was out of my funk by the middle of #3, finished it but just could not finish the series. It's ridiculous and fluffy, chock full of teenage anst. If you prefer to forget the drama of highschool romances just do. not. go. there. Unless you're in a funk...then it can pass the time ;)

It's brain candy. Not very good for you, not a lot of substance, but read in moderation, can be enjoyable.

I read all four books, and found myself a little obsessed with the series for about a month after reading all of them. I didn't find Bella to be a very strong female character (actually, she's the exact opposite of what I wanted my DD to be!), and it was a little creepy the way the men (er...vampire and werewolf) fought over her. But if you read the books the way they are intended to be read (total fluff) than it's pretty harmless.

That said, DD and I see the Twilight movies together. It's a bonding thing. We can't wait for Eclipse. :D

Twilight is pure, unadulterated fluff. I loved it! I had been reading so many homeschooling how-to, theory, history, and why-public-schools-stink book. My brain was overloaded with info. I needed a mental break. Twilight is a mental break. It will not broaden your horizons. It will not make you think deeply about anything at all. But, if you are looking for a book/series to read next to the pool/beach while sipping a drink, Twilight is the series for you!

Peer pressure can be relentless. If you don't want to read the stuff, don't read it. Same for allowing/prohibiting your children.

Definitely not going to allow my children to read the books. Of course my ds(almost 18) has no desire to do so. In his words, Twilight is "stupid junk." My dd9 would read the books in a heartbeat if I'd allow her, but I won't. My other two dc are 7 and 2, so no worries there.:lol: I'm going to continue to resist the "peer pressure." I don't have much free time, and I don't want to waste what I do have on books I really don't want to become involved with. I'd rather spend my free time here on the WTM!

The only reason you don't want to go there is because you won't be able to stop :lol:

I refused to read the books, refused the hype (I hate hype), and I hate anything to do with vampires. Then dd wanted me to pre-read it. She didn't know if she would WANT to read it but was curious if she could and curious about the hype.

So, I read it. Couldn't put it down. And was ashamed to tell my dh that I had to go to the library to get the next book right away. Not content to be embarrassed at my own liking for it, I made a friend of mine read it too. :D

Personally, I don't think the writing is that bad. I think on this forum where people are reading Homer and Chaucer and Dickens, people will feel that they are somehow "less" if they think a fan fiction book is good writing. Good writing pulls you into a story and makes you be there with the characters, feel that you are a part of their life. I think that the Twilight books do this. Where's that duck and run smiley...:leaving:

Edited by Angel

The only reason you don't want to go there is because you won't be able to stop :lol:

I refused to read the books, refused the hype (I hate hype), and I hate anything to do with vampires. Then dd wanted me to pre-read it. She didn't know if she would WANT to read it but was curious if she could and curious about the hype.

So, I read it. Couldn't put it down. And was ashamed to tell my dh that I had to go to the library to get the next book right away. Not content to be embarrassed at my own for liking it, I made a friend of mine read it too. :D

Personally, I don't think the writing is that bad. I think on this forum where people are reading Homer and Chaucer and Dickens, people will feel that they are somehow "less" if they think a fan fiction book is good writing. Good writing pulls you into a story and makes you be there with the characters, feel that you are a part of their life. I think that the Twilight books do this. Where's that duck and run smiley...:leaving:

:lol:What you just described is what I'm afraid of.

It's just four books...nothing much to get obsessed over unless you start trolling websites for Edward sightings or debating whether you're on Team Jacob/Edward on Facebook (wait, are you 14yo? ;)) I read them at the recommendation of a friend and enjoyed them. Everyone needs some brain candy now and then, right? I was put off because of all the teeny-bopper hype surrounding the movies, but that had nothing to do with the books.

I actually wasn't going to watch the first movie because of the hype, but then dh was out of town and it was playing on Starz. Well, it was decent. I didn't like New Moon, but the book wasn't that good either. The story picks back up in the third book so I imagine the movie coming out will be decent too. I'll wait til it comes out on Starz and dh is out of town again. I love my dh too much to subject him to it :lol:.

BUT...if you don't want to read them, dont. They are certainly not "do-not-miss" literature.

You can sit it out. I've avoided lots of books.

My biggest success is LOTR. I've only ever read The Hobbit & the entire time I was saying 'what? why? yawn. how many more pages. oh, brother. yawn. elves. ELVES? what? why?' and then I said NO MORE.

Dh has read them, seen the movies blah blah blah. I've patiently and skillfully avoided it all.

The trick is to be busy reading something else. When it comes up, just smile and say "I've heard lots of people enjoy those. I've been reading ________ (complete works of Marx/modern research on animal behaviour/Islam in Europe today/reproductive habits of fish/latest novel by Ondaatje ..... etc) . Maybe when I'm done I'll get to it."

I have practice in this because we also don't have cable tv (& haven't for well over 10 years) so I never know anything about the tv shows people are talking about either.

Actually, I can't stand Buffy and I don't like vampires. I am simply intrigued by Cullens. The quest to overcome what they are and be better, the old fashioned manners of Edward and his internal struggle, the classic lit themes that are woven into each book.... I just like it.

I'm in the same boat here. Not a Buffy fan (I watched the move with mild interest, but never saw the tv series), but I find the plot of the Twilight books interesting and entertaining. It's easier to like "nice" vampires.

I read fluff, mostly summer by the pool.When conversations turn to books I'd rather not read, I aknowledge the other person's choice & reply I prefer this book or author for fun reading at the moment.Same with TV discussions.I don't tell Twilight readers I am reading Ceasar's Conquest of Gaul. I go on a rant about the next Earths Children book is taking too long to come out.I don't reply to a fan of dancing with stars , I only watch frontline or something.They get to hear me gush about NCIS.I do what works.

HW

I'm in the same boat here. Not a Buffy fan (I watched the move with mild interest, but never saw the tv series), but I find the plot of the Twilight books interesting and entertaining. It's easier to like "nice" vampires.

oh well, another theory down the drain :D I thought it worked bc the vampire "love" was "nice" in Buffy too...then there was that whole Angel series, which I've never seen...:tongue_smilie:

I enjoyed the series, despite the poor writing, and I think they're innocuous for adults. I wouldn't say you SHOULD go there, but I don't think there is any harm if you do. There are only four books and they are fast reads, so it's not a huge time commitment. Not like, for example, an obsession with a TV show that goes on for years.

But you shouldn't read them if you don't want to. I've been known to tell people they HAVE to read a book, but no one HAS to read Twilight. It's not life-changing.

And if you are only going to read/view one vampire series, choose Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the TV series; I haven't seen the movie) over Twilight. Definitely.

I'll tell you why you shouldn't. First, the writing is atrocious. I started reading the book and could. not. stand. the bad grammar. I switched to listening on CD, which made it more palatable because it's written in a conversational style. But even when listening to it, I got tired of sentence after sentence written in exactly the same structure.

By the middle of the book, it wasn't the grammar and style that were bothering me most. The relationship between Edward and Bella has all the hallmarks of an abusive relationship, and I think it's horrifying that teens think their relationship is so romantic. Maybe someone who hasn't been in an abusive relationship won't recognize the signs, but I don't want my kids romanticizing that type of relationship and ending up in a marriage like my first one. My oldest dd has already read the series, so we talked about some of the events that, IRL, would be warning signs of abuse.

Even better than reading Twilight is watching a 20 year old British guy reading it and posting his thoughts on youtube. He starts with chapter one here:

If you can ignore some er, colorful language from time to time, then I say give his videos a chance. He's up to chapter 14 right now.

I had no interest in reading it but went ahead and got it at the library one day when I didn't have a lot of time and wanted something to read, it was the first thing I saw so I grabbed it. I got the rest of the books and read them all. They were okay, I didn't think they were well written. Kind of boring. Nothing I want to own or even read again. I don't get the "obsession" people have with the books/movies, but everyone has their own vice. If you don't want to read them, then don't. I really don't think you'll be missing out on anything if you never read them. If you want to just go ahead and get it over with, go for it. :)

You can sit it out. I've avoided lots of books.

My biggest success is LOTR. I've only ever read The Hobbit & the entire time I was saying 'what? why? yawn. how many more pages. oh, brother. yawn. elves. ELVES? what? why?' and then I said NO MORE.

Dh has read them, seen the movies blah blah blah. I've patiently and skillfully avoided it all.

The trick is to be busy reading something else. When it comes up, just smile and say "I've heard lots of people enjoy those. I've been reading ________ (complete works of Marx/modern research on animal behaviour/Islam in Europe today/reproductive habits of fish/latest novel by Ondaatje ..... etc) . Maybe when I'm done I'll get to it."

I have practice in this because we also don't have cable tv (& haven't for well over 10 years) so I never know anything about the tv shows people are talking about either.

:iagree:

Hornblower, you continually crack me up.... I'd add Moby Dick, Pilgrim's Progress and the user manual for my new range to your list of alternate titles.

I don't get the whole thing with trashing other people's reading choices as "twaddle", "fluff", "brain candy" and the like ~ just because YOU (general you) don't like a certain book/series/etc doesn't mean that it's "junk". It means that the book/series/etc doesn't fit YOUR particular taste.

I am an incredibly fast reader, so my MIL asked me to read them (all) for her before she bothered. I read them over a long weekend by the pool. I guess people in her congregation were constantly discussing them, and her niece was obsessed. Anyway - "fluff" and "twaddle" are kind. This is just my opinion, and yes - everyone has their own taste in books....

Great mindless stuff for a vacation maybe, but the writing is horrible and I got very tired of reading about Edward's rock-hard, sparkling abs.:tongue_smilie:

I also LOVED the Harry Potter series, but this is not comparable. It actually disturbs me that teenage girls are so incredibly into this - as I see the relationship modeled as being a negative one.

Anyway - no harm from reading it for an adult - but a real time waster!!!

oh well, another theory down the drain :D I thought it worked bc the vampire "love" was "nice" in Buffy too...then there was that whole Angel series, which I've never seen...:tongue_smilie:

I am a huge Buffy fan but neither of her relationships with vampires was nice. As a matter of fact, they were very dark. On the other hand, I have had absolutely no interest in Twighlight even after watching the first two movies. I was beginning to think that I was missing some fundemental female part of my brain because I just don't understand the attraction to this series. Women keep telling me that I need to read them but I have absolutely no motivation to do so and there are so many good books out there that I do want to read.

The relationship between Edward and Bella has all the hallmarks of an abusive relationship, and I think it's horrifying that teens think their relationship is so romantic. Maybe someone who hasn't been in an abusive relationship won't recognize the signs, but I don't want my kids romanticizing that type of relationship and ending up in a marriage like my first one. My oldest dd has already read the series, so we talked about some of the events that, IRL, would be warning signs of abuse.

I haven't read the books yet just saw the movies. I've curious to what you thought were the hallmarks to an abusive relationship. I didn't really notice anything in the movies that I would really consider abusive. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something in the movies?

I haven't read the books yet just saw the movies. I've curious to what you thought were the hallmarks to an abusive relationship. I didn't really notice anything in the movies that I would really consider abusive. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something in the movies?

Oh, golly. Where to start. (I no longer remember what is in which book.)

* Edward gets angry when Bella spends time with certain friends.

* At one point he gets his sister to essentially hold Bella under house arrest.

* He climbs into her room and watches her sleep (unbeknown to her).

I don't get the whole thing with trashing other people's reading choices as "twaddle", "fluff", "brain candy" and the like ~ just because YOU (general you) don't like a certain book/series/etc doesn't mean that it's "junk". It means that the book/series/etc doesn't fit YOUR particular taste.

But does anyone disagree that it's candy??? :)

I read it. Don't particularly care for it and didn't want to read past book 1. Thought the main character was kind of a blank character, and the interminable angst was just NOT something I could relate to. Sometimes I enjoy reading candy, but this just wasn't the kind I enjoy. That doesn't mean I'm insulting anyone who enjoyed it, though. :)

It actually disturbs me that teenage girls are so incredibly into this - as I see the relationship modeled as being a negative one. Anyway - no harm from reading it for an adult - but a real time waster!!!

I thought it was a terrible role model for what makes a relationship work. I would definitely not want any of my children reading it.

the reason all these 30/40 something women like it is because they were into Buffy the Vampire Slayer back in the 90's? It had a similar love interest btwn. vampire and teen girl. Just wondering... I don't get it.

The Twilight series, which I thought were rather fun, are pure fluff.

BTVS was genius. Well written, campy, funny, deep, with all kinds of philosophical overtones. Nobody writes like Joss Whedon.

As my dd keeps saying, just because we liked 1 vampire, why do people think they can write about any vampire and we'll like it?

Hornblower, you continually crack me up.... I'd add Moby Dick, Pilgrim's Progress and the user manual for my new range to your list of alternate titles.

Oh, yes! And the complete, unabridged Les Miserables (with apologies to Mrs. Mungo. :D)

Oh, golly. Where to start. (I no longer remember what is in which book.)

* Edward gets angry when Bella spends time with certain friends.

* At one point he gets his sister to essentially hold Bella under house arrest.

* He climbs into her room and watches her sleep (unbeknown to her).

Ok the books must be different on this acpect then the movies. The only similarity in the movie is Edward watching Bella sleep and I didn't see that as abusive at all. The other two points weren't in the movies, unless I missed something.

Twilight is pure, unadulterated fluff. I loved it! I had been reading so many homeschooling how-to, theory, history, and why-public-schools-stink book. My brain was overloaded with info. I needed a mental break. Twilight is a mental break. It will not broaden your horizons. It will not make you think deeply about anything at all. But, if you are looking for a book/series to read next to the pool/beach while sipping a drink, Twilight is the series for you!

:iagree: Plus it got me to read Wuthering Heights and reread Pride and Prejudice. Right now I am looking forward to summer, a beach towel, and another run through Twilight.

I don't tell Twilight readers I am reading Ceasar's Conquest of Gaul. I go on a rant about the next Earths Children book is taking too long to come out.I don't reply to a fan of dancing with stars , I only watch frontline or something.They get to hear me gush about NCIS.I do what works.

HW

Why would you not talk to a Twilight reader about Caesar's Conquest of Gaul? I am a Twilight reader AND I'm an avid reader of Jane Austen AND I love Shakespeare. Why would a Twilight reader not want to talk about anything more? :confused: I know things come across different online but it sounds like you are saying that a Twilight reader couldn't possibly be interested in deeper literature. I don't think you are trying to say that are you? ;)

But does anyone disagree that it's candy??? :)

I read it. Don't particularly care for it and didn't want to read past book 1. Thought the main character was kind of a blank character, and the interminable angst was just NOT something I could relate to. Sometimes I enjoy reading candy, but this just wasn't the kind I enjoy. That doesn't mean I'm insulting anyone who enjoyed it, though. :)

Why does it have to be classified as candy? :001_smile: I read Pride and Prejudice about as quickly as I read Twilight. I enjoyed it even more. Both authors pulled me into their stories with amazing speed and kept me engaged through the whole book. So one is considered "candy" and one is not. I guess I look at every book as how well I fall in love with the characters and the place/time period of the book. Do I know them? Do I want to spend time with them? Do I have a hard time forgetting them when the book is over...have I made a "friend" at the end? I have read many "classics" that cannot do this and in my opinion are trash. I guess I don't classify my books as one or the other. Classic, "candy," fantasy, bodice ripper...doesn't matter to me, it's what the book leaves me with. ;)

And for the record, never watched Buffy. Like I said, I have always hated vampires. However, I did follow up Twilight with Bram Stoker's Dracula. :D

Ok the books must be different on this acpect then the movies. The only similarity in the movie is Edward watching Bella sleep and I didn't see that as abusive at all. The other two points weren't in the movies, unless I missed something.

Really??

If a guy you knew only casually climbed into your room at night and watched you sleep, you wouldn't find that stalkerish?

I haven't seen the movies, so I don't know how much they mirror the books. In the first half of the first book:

At the beginning of the book, Bella was an independent, self-sufficient girl who was making grown-up decisions. After she met Edward, she became helpless and dependent. He saved her life several times and then kept telling her how she needed him to keep her safe.

Bella ignored or blew off the nice boys who liked her, preferring the attention of a boy who acted incredibly angry toward her from the moment they met, disappeared for a period of time, and refused to explain his actions.

He stalked her, following her on a shopping trip to another town with some girls from school. Good thing he was there to save her life, though. :001_rolleyes:

She continued seeing him and spending time with him (and lying to her father about whom she was with) even after she learned that he was a vampire and dangerous. Kind of like women who stay with dangerous men even after they realize the truth about the man's potential to harm.

He refused to let her drive her own vehicle because she supposedly couldn't drive it safely. When she tried to get in the driver's seat, he put his arm out to grab her and keep her from getting in. At that point, I started vividly replaying a long buried incident of being grabbed, picked up, and thrown down head first, and I couldn't make myself continue the book.

Edited by LizzyBee

I'm not going there.

There are plenty of good choices for reading out there, and I don't encourage romance books anyway. If I read it, inevitably my oldest dd will pick it up. I'd prefer that not to happen. You're not the only one.